Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "As far as the mistake thing goes, Have any of you learned anything from this thread and the rust thread ?"

Like I said before, I anticipated little first year bugs, but honestly, who would have expected rust?
  • rock44xrock44x Posts: 78
    DO NOT BUY A FIRST YEAR IN PRODUCTION CAR, that is so true.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    You can't compare the 6 to a Civic EX, it's a whole different experience. I have driven both and there really is no comparison. The Civic is smaller and noisier for two things. Not as well-equiped for another. The 6 is a true sports sedan, holds the road like it owns it. On twisty roads it is smooth and quiet, at 70mph it feels like it is going 45mph. At 85mph on the highway it feels like 65mph -- you have to keep an eye on the speedo.

The Civic is a nice little car, but if you want a similar driving experience to the 6 and a small size compare it to the Mazda3.

How the 3 and the 6 ride has to be a seat-of-the-pants experience, it can't be explained clearly in words. Just sitting in them speaks volumes, the richer materials and high-tech features not offered on other cars is a main selling point.

Mazda's new small cars offer great value, reliability, and operating economy. Their EPA ratings are always lower than what prudent owners usually get. Comparing the Mazda3 to the Civic EX, I would happily accept 1mpg or 2 mpg less considering the much higher quality and content.

I have the previous model, the Protegé, which I bought after test driving the 2001 Civic EX, because the Pro offered better quality, more rear seat room, close-to Civic fuel economy, and better cabin materials. The new 3 is closer to more expensive cars.

fowler3
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Mazda has declared they will play the super-size game with the next generation 6. I don't like this. Toyota supersized the 92 Camry then next generation Accord(1998) Honda supersizes to catch Toyota. Than 5 years later Nissan super-sizes Altima to catch Honda and Toyota. I for one am tired of all this super-sizing by the Japanese Auto Makers.

Mazda will go as far as making a US version of the 6 while the rest of the world gets the regular 6. I'm not happy. Mazda is getting like Honda 1998(we have to American-ize are some of our brand to be acceptable to the American public.) I just hope Mazda knows what they are doing so they don't have to have Ford save them 5 years down the line again. I might just buy a compact car after I am done with my Acura CL. The mid-size offerings from the Japanese are like full-size to me now. The mitsubishi Galant used to be a little car now its the titanic.

I was shocked though the decesion to super-size the 6 in 2007 was by a Japanese executive who works for Mazda. A super-sizing would seem like classic Ford trying to ruin Mazda again and take Mazda's young core buyer out of the equation.

Thats the thing that bothers me Mazda might take out their core buyer if they super-size the 6. To explain further when you super-size a car its takes sportiness out of the cars exterior. If Mazda makes the next generation 6 as bland looking as a Camry it won't sell now matter how much room it has. I just hope Mazda doesn't Americanize the next gen 6 stylistically like Honda and Toyota have done with the current Camry and Accord.

On a positive note, I do think Mazda needs the mid-size SUV that the Japanese Executive who works for Mazda was talking about in the Wall Street Journal article I was reading tonight. I have said that time and time again that Mazda needs a mid-size SUV that has nothing to do with Ford. If Mazda can build a Car Based SUV with their reliability they will sell them off the lot like crazy.

As for the large SUV I'm not much of a large SUV kinda guy.

I kinda knew Mazda was going to enlarge the 6 in a few years but not super-size. I really wanted to look at a next generation 6 but if they are going to super-size I might stay away.

Also in the article the Japanese Executive(I;m really not good with Japanese names, sorry) he said he wants Mazda products to cater more to the NA market. I hope Mazda doesn't give us different version of the rest of their cars in the future than say what Europe is getting. That wouldn't be a good idea. I wouldn't happy if Mazda gave us a stlistically different version of the 3 than Europe is getting. Of course I like the Protege better.

BTW, I saw a young girl yesterday(mid 20's/early 30's)driving a Sepang Green 6 w/spoiler and sport grille today. Please Mazda don't lose that buyer when you super-size the 6 but I think they will. The Altima used to be a college car and now its not because its too big in size for the college crowd.

The Japanese are usually on target with product decesions. Mazda's past fortunes were very controlled by Ford during Mazda's sorry mid 90's campaign so I could be wrong about the whole supersizing. Maybe Mazda has something up their sleeve that I don't know about. The next generation 6 has to be good stylistically to sell well(I'm 100% sure about that.)
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Let's scroll back to the late 80's, when the Taurus was the #1 selling vehicle, mainly due to styling and it's V6 engines in a sea of 4 cylinder smaller econo-box Japanese competitors. Same with the early 90's, and it wasn't till Camry grew up a bit and offered a V6 that sales picked up and vaulted it to #1 sales crown off and on. IN it's previous generation, they continued to increase the size, and has won the sales crown with fellow Accord as well, which it too has undergone the same changes in the past decade, offering what more american consumer's want, space.

Or who knows, maybe they'll keep the 6 as it is, and offer this Ford Futura clone as a Mazda9....
    I don't like the super-size idea either. Mcdonalds is phasing it out, so why does Mazda need to need to do it?

At the rate that Toyota and Honda are supersizing their "midsize" cars, by 2010, the Camry is going to be bigger than a 75' Cadillac Deville.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    "Sharp car,but how can some of you compare the Mz6 to the Stang."

I don't think any of us were comparing them. I'm passing on the Mazda6 because I've always wanted a Mustang and the next gen is too hard to resist. My original, and practical new father type, list was narrowed down to a Mazda3 s sedan, Mazda6 i or s sedan, or a 5-door SVT Focus.

The decision to buy a Mustang was made even harder now that we have a three month old at home and really shouldn't be buying a two-door sports car according to the rules of society.

I'm already bending over backwards to put him in the car seat which resides in the back seat of our 96 Civic coupe. It's not as bad as it sounds but I might as well have a great car that I love (I absolutely despise the Civic by the way) if I'm going to continue practicing the two-door twist. ;)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Amazing how even large mid-size cars can still feel small. I fit fine in the rear of the P5 but don't in the Accord, Camry or Altima, which I thought were big cars. I admit I don't sit there often, but it's one method I use to judge cabin space. At least I fit fine in their front seats, which I can't say for other "mid-size" vehicles, like the Lexus ES330.

Also, is it me, or is the new Altima (just released this year) a bit smaller-feeling inside than the last one (even in the front seat)? Maybe they made the interior trim a bit "puffier" when they "upgraded" them?
    "The decision to buy a Mustang was made even harder now that we have a three month old at home and really shouldn't be buying a two-door sports car according to the rules of society"

Screw society, they don't pay your bills, only you are responsible for your fun and you only life to live. So if that is what your heart wants, go for it. Strap a babyseat to the backseat if you want :)

"Also, is it me, or is the new Altima (just released this year) a bit smaller-feeling inside than the last one (even in the front seat)? Maybe they made the interior trim a bit "puffier" when they "upgraded" them? "

Colors have a bit to do with that perception. It could be the dark plasti-wood appliques. I believe it's the upper center dash which is a bit higher and is contributing to that feeling.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    "DO NOT BUY A FIRST YEAR IN PRODUCTION CAR !!!!!!"

If no one buys it, then there would never be 2nd year. Someone has to buy a first year car.
    Actually here's an insider secret... There's always a risk of having glitches on the first year runs, but many times manufacturer's will cheapen a car on it's 2nd, 3rd year (component quality wise). There's a few models built now that the quality of their 1st year were great, to later having them cheapened, and in turn might create other issues along the line.

Some manufacturer's thinking on this is, starting the first year models out with better components/quality so the media doesn't hammer them and give them bad review's. Since most automotive reviews are written on the first model batch, this can lead to positive/negative perceptions for the next few years. Rarely will a 2nd year model be tested, (3rd in some cases), and it's usually not till the 3rd year, or (cosmetic touch-up) that they'll retest the same vehicle again.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    "Screw society, they don't pay your bills, only you are responsible for your fun and you only life to live. So if that is what your heart wants, go for it."

That's the plan. It's funny to hear people gasp and see them smirk when I tell them what I'm buying next. Like it's somehow going to be bad for the kid or something.

"Strap a babyseat to the backseat if you want :)"

I might opt for the vert if I can swing the payments just to make that task a little easier when the weather permits. ;)
    New Car 31: Yeah I agree McDonalds's stopped super-size those combo meals so why the need to super-size cars?

ANT 14: The Accord started to be a good selling car in its 3rd generation of bodystyle(86-89.) To me Toyota forced the hand with super-sizing Japanese Mid-size cars with the 92 Camry. I really liked the the size of the 94-97 Accord and the 03-04 Mazda 6. Right after those generations Accord's and 6's we get more super-sizing. Boring in my opinion.
    CARGUY,
    And they will continue to grow. As they grow, other cars will slot under them. Example, Toyota introducing the Echo, to fit the slot the previous Tercel used. Or how Chevy placed the Aveo, since the Cobalt (Cavalier replacement) will be a bit bigger... And we have seen the Malibu grow quite a bit, and it's common sense the Impala will grow bigger as well.

It's all part of evolution.

BAGGS,
    I will always stick to my mother's philosophy of raising kids... "I had YOU, YOU did NOT have me". Which I totally agree with now, and to think... back then and even now, all my parents ever had were/are 2dr RWD coupes.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The February quarterly update to the 2003 Long Term Mazda6 road test has been posted. You can access them all via the Helpful Links box on the left - you can also click here to go directly to this month's update.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Like on the last Protege, where the platform was significantly stiffened and interior bits were improved or features were added in 2001, thus creating envy amongst those who had bought '99 or '00 models (like myself). Amongst them: thickened sheet metal in structure, more-substantial visors, night-light by the ignition, stock alloys on LX trim, larger wheels all-around, 6-speaker v. 4-speaker set-up, locking glove-box door, ISOFIX top anchors (might've been added in late '99), side-markers in front fenders, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

But I agree. Sometimes they cheap-out in later years. But I find it's best on judge on a case-to-case basis. Usually, they don't replace parts in the second model year, as they're usually busy replacing bad parts, unless it's an easy change, like using a slightly cheaper plastic or colorant.

Of course, on others, they don't bother changing at all, like the a-pillar trim on first-generation Saturns. The original and every replacement part broke at exactly the same places: around the plastic posts that snapped into the a-pillar. You'd think they'd just get someone to file down the sharp edges in the tool (even if by hand or with a moto-tool) so those posts wouldn't break-off so easily, but they never did.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I don't like the super-size idea either. Mcdonalds is phasing it out, so why does Mazda need to need to do it?

Maybe it is because Americans have gotten so wide in the beam! New theaters have wider seats, airlines are making seats wider, so cars are following the trend. Low-carb diets take time, in fact, tests have shown that the most weight is lost in the first six months; after that, low-carb diets do no better than any other diets.

Face it, Americans are over-weight, even those not obese. It's also surprising to read, here, how many compact car buyers are 6-feet or more tall.

fowler3
    Super-sized cars and SUVs are just wasteful. Almost every company has an SUV now, and IMO, it's embarrassing because of what it says about Americans.

I HOPE gas prices go through the roof and all of the people with SUVs get hit HARD in the pocketbook because I see way too many of them on the road being used as commuter vehicles with one person in them. Yes, it's a free country and you should be able to buy what you want to buy, but the SUV thing has gotten out of hand. Lexus SUVs, Porsche SUVs, VW SUVs....I need to go barf right now.

If gas prices get a lot worse, SUV resale values are going to drop and many people will be screwed if they try to sell them. I heard gas prices in some parts of California are at $3.00 per gallon. Good. I can handle it if that's what it's going to take to get some of these fat butt SUVs off the road.

Happy I have a 6i manual......
    Yeah I know what your saying. They say Americans are more obese than ever before. I think people eat fast-food too much. I mean people actually trying to sue McDonald's. Come on now. I'm glad the judge threw that case out of court with people trying to sue McDonald's. Its stupidity to sue McDonald's for your bad eating habits.

To me its up to the parents to lead the children to eat healthy. Instead kids are getting diabates and being overweight at a young age. Its just ugly. I guess the parents can't cook anything and like fast food.