Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• rock44xrock44x Posts: 78
    Acura TL,Honda ACCORD,Honda CIVIC,Mazda 6,Nissan ALTIMA, Toyota CAMRY, and Toyota COROLLA are all assembled in the US and have great quality, Renault is helping Nissan financially and in the European car market while nissan design and assemble nissans and Renaults cars in fact the quality for Renault may improve. while ford has out right owner ship of Mazda like Gm to Chevrolet.

"the 3 will affect 6i 4cyl sales"
    i agree 100% with that, mazda made a hell of a car with the mazda3 if i want 4cyl hands down it would be a 3 load, and the 3s interior seats leather or cloth blows away the 6 that's sad.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    For new vehicle problems, Mazda comes in 6th behind Lexus, Infiniti, Honda, Toyota, and Acura. Mazda is 7th for 3 year old vehicles and 8th for 5 year old vehicles, right behind Honda at 7th. According to CR, the most consistently reliable makes are Lexus, Infiniti, Honda, Toyota, Acura, and Mazda. Not too bad for Mazda considering they have a little Ford in some of their vehicles (Tribute, Escape, pickup truck) to drag their ratings down.

CR rates the Mazda6 #1 in it's safety assesment citing excellent accident avoidance, crash protection, strong brakes, forgiving handling, and good offset-crash results as the reasons.

"People see that on the window sticker, so it's no wonder the 3 is outselling the 6."

That is not why the 3 is outselling the 6. Most people don't give a rip, otherwise the Impreza, Protege, and Lancer would have been the top selling small cars, not the Corolla and Civic.

I went to the Minneapolis/St. Paul Autoshow yesterday. After all of the hype on the Altima's new interior, I was disapointed. People were saying it's ten times better than the Mazda6 and maybe even the Accord......uh...yeah, sure. It's better in that it's an improvement over the old one, I'll give it that.

I like the Mazda3, I just wish they would have used the red tailights for all of the models. As far as the 3 looking better than the 6, it doesn't IMO. The 6 is one of the very few cars that doesn't have a bad looking area of the car at any angle. The only other sedans like that IMO are the first Lexus LS 400, the last BMW 5 series, and the last Audi A4. The back of the 3 isn't ugly, but it isn't perfect like the 6 either.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I think the "made in Japan" factor is small in considering Mazda3 vs. Mazda6 sales. A much bigger factor is price/value. The Mazda3 is hard to beat in bang-for-the-buck. I'm sure I'd be happy owning one, considering the several thousand dollar difference between the Mazda3 5-door and a similarly equipped Mazda6 s 5-door. But, as it is, I'll probably get the Mazda6.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    "The 6 is a better car but the 3 is a better value."

That about sums it up.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    No I checked the 626's reliability record and CR also included the 03 6's reliability record and its ok. The thing that killed the 626 it was the Ford Tranny in the 93-97 models. The 626 rates above average reliability from 98-02 model years. 96-97's have average reliability so not much of a difference vs Japanese made Mazda's. Now if we were talking about the Rebadged Ford Ranger(Mazda B-Series) that a whole different ball game because its all Ford. I think Flat Rock builds good cars. They can't be lamed be blamed for a Ford Tranny that was terrible anyway.

To go further with Mazda's built in America Consumer Reports now reccomends the Tribute. 01 Tribute's have that starting and stalling problems so they don't reccomend them. So I guess the Tribute doesn't drag Mazda reliability rating's down anymore. I have to change my tube on the Tribute because I have knocked the Tribute's quality/reliability before this current edition of Consumer Reports came out.

As for the 3 vs 6 yeah the 3 does have the better interior of the 2 cars I'll say that. When I first saw the 3's interior in a picture the center satack in the 3 reminded me of the one in the Audi A4.

Rock44X: Chevrolet is part of GM. Ford does not include Mazda's sales in their overall sales on any basis. Ford knows to let Mazda do their own thing now.

As for perfect looking sedans the current Passat, 6, and the current TL take the cake. I would also throw the 96-97 Honda Accord in there.
  • Take a look at the new Volvo S40. To my mind it blows everything else away in the looks dept.--even the 6 (boo hoo)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,611
    My understanding is that Ford does not own Mazda outright. They own enough shares of Mazda in Japan that under Japanese corporate law Ford controls the company.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Posts: 188
    I think Ford only owns 33 percent of Mazda. As robr2 suggests, that's probably enough to control the co. under Japanese law..........please note that I wasn't suggesting that transplant factories churn out bad quality cars. Quite the opposite!! I merely opined that Renault's influence on Nissan's overall quality may not be the healthiest arrangement. Honda and Toyota may have factories here, but they're not controlled by an outside and (IMO) inferior corporate source such as Renault or Ford. But ultimately, only time will tell. Indisputably, the 6 has splendid quality.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    It looks better than the current one yeah but the interior doesn't look good as the current one. It looks alot of stuff was deleted in the center stack of the new one from the pictures I saw.

As far as Toyota vs Honda vs Mazda factory in the US I think Honda's and Toyota's factory is better than Mazda's Us factory(Flat Rock) but not by much. How can you base a factory's performance on a bad tranny and a rebadged Ford pick-up? Even the current Camry and Accord had first year bugs.
    the new Volvo S40 at the auto show this weekend. It looks really, really slick. It's the best looking Volvo ever IMO.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "Buggywhip" let us know if you find dealers that have Manual tranny Mazda 6's in stock, when you go car shopping.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We'll be testing your knowledge with some Mazda-related trivia questions this week, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• buggywhipbuggywhip Posts: 188
    I went to a major Mazda dealer in MA last wk. I saw many rows of 6's and plenty of sticks, at least with the 4cyl., and certainly many more than 6 mos. ago. I regret that I didn't check for 6cyl sticks b/c, well, I can't afford one!! I saw a frighteningly huge surplus of the RX-8 too. I wonder if people are buying the 6s instead of Mazda's flagship???
    "I saw a frighteningly huge surplus of the RX-8 too"

The RX8 probably doesn't sell very well in the winter in MA. Seriously, who would buy an RX8 in MA in February? I guess you probably could get a better deal if you bought one then.

When I worked at the Ford dealer, somebody jacked a bunch of airbags from brand new Tauruses. It was winter and there was a surplus of brand new Mustangs. Guess where they got the airbags for the Tauruses?
  • mazdajkmazdajk Posts: 28
    The Volvo S40 is an O.K. looking car. Saw it at the auto show. I'm sorry, but that rear end looks like crap-IMO. I agree with newcar31. The 6 has a sharp look at all angles. Simple yet elegant.
    Just hit 600 miles on mine. Perfect so far. Drives like a dream.
    Did the brake-tail light MOD. I like it better with both pods coming on when I hit the brakes.
    Also did the throttle body ground MOD. Seems to be a little snappier off the line.
    Cheese! Please tell me you were joking on that Volvo thing (Boo Hoo) !!! My curds will never be the same :(
  • Sad,perhaps, but true. The Volvo S40 rocks. Its exterior anyway. Recheck what Newcar31 had to say in post 16350. He likes the S40 a lot. And he's from Minnesota!

But look, I love the appearance of the Mazda 6; it was one of the reasons I bought one-- but when one sees another beautiful ride one should acknowlege it generously :)
  • I drive about 18 miles/day round trip to work on local roads and with additional highway driving, log about 11,000 miles/year. In my area (Upper Midwest) a Mazda3 and Mazda6 four cylinder lease out (3yrs, 36,000 miles) for about the same/month due to Mazda6 rebates. Here are my questions:

1) the dealer said that Mazda6 orders are about 75%/25% 6 vs. 4 cylinder. Why is this the opposite of Accord/Camry ratio?

2) for the type of driving that I do, would you rather have the M3 or 4-cylinder M6?

3) how does M3 quality look vs. M6?

4) is the 4-cyliner M6 powerplant considered a state-of the art engine?

Thank you for your informed answers. Go Mazda!
  • Strongly suggest some test drives;then make up your mind.

The Mazda 2.3 liter is in fact "a state of the art" engine incorporating variable valve technology. It's in the same league with the Honda engine, although somewhat less sophisticated. Honda's 4 is better, no doubt.

With a manual transmission the 2.3 is quite lively--above all over 2500-3000 rpm-- when it really blasts off. Plenty of power to enter freeways safely. Another plus is economy (with gasoline at historic highs).

Why 75% of MZ6 sales are V6s? Most Americans nowadays want an engine with as much power as possible. And the car companies are competing with each other in the horsepower derby. IMHO most people don't need or even fully use what they buy.

The 6S is not a monster, just a powerful, refined machine on the hwy.--again above 2500-3000 revs. (Read the set of Edmunds editors' reviews of the car on this site). The 6S is an absolute blast to drive, but of course you pay a penalty in terms of mpg. Some people also report that the 4 cylinder version has marginally better handling characteristics than the 3.0, but I can't vouch for it personally. Go out and compare the 6 in these two versions.

I cannot comment on the automatic versions of these vehicles. I never drove them since I haven't used an automatic for a very long term and prefer a manual.

Then drive the 3 with the 2.3. I have never done so, but I imagine that it will be slightly livelier than the 2.3 MZ6 since it weighs a few hundred pounds less. Others will chime in with firsthand comments on the MZ3.

My advice is to drive the 2.3 MZ6, and test it to see if, in *your* opinion, it's got enough oomph to get you onto a freeway or interstate briskly. I think it does. That was my "litmus test." The 2.3 MT passed it and I decided buy one, but I did also drive the 6 cylinder & enjoyed it immensely. I put over 25k a year on a car, so the price of gasoline was a big factor in my calculations. But your tastes and needs may be different. Just the fruits of my own experience here...
    I have the 6i MT and it’s more than enough ooomph for me. It’s just as quick as the previous generation Accord and Camry V6s and nobody ever complained about those being underpowered. The 2.3L MT actually has quicker 0-60 times than the V6 auto and gets much better mileage. I drove the V6 too and I really liked it and thought that was what I would get until I drove the 4 cyl and realized that it wasn’t the slouch I was expecting it to be. With the gas prices getting higher and higher, I’m really glad I have the 4cyl MT. It’s plenty fast and can still get you in trouble just like the V6. The MT 4cyl actually revs lower at freeway speeds than the V6 and it’s really quiet too. Contrary to what many people think about 4 cyl powered cars, the 6i ain’t no buzzy Integra at freeway speeds. You might find yourself doing 85 mph in a 55 mph zone if you’re not careful.

Since the bus strike started here, I have to use my car for the carpool all the time instead of taking turns because I have the biggest car and we have an extra carpooler. The 2.3L handles all 4 people in rush hour traffic just fine.

Now, if I needed an automatic, it’d be whole different story. I probably wouldn’t get a Mazda6 if I needed an automatic.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "Honda's 4 is better, no doubt."

Actually many would be surprised, but the Mazda/Ford 2.3L is more sophisticated overall than it's given credit for. And in one writter's view, breaks more ground than Audi's 4.2L V8 when rating Ward's 10 Best Engines of 2004.

http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/microsites/Newsarticle.asp?newsa- rticleid=2707165&srid=10088&instanceid=45975&pageid=8- 509&magazineid=1004&siteid=26