Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• How is it possible that the wagon has only approx 1.5 cubic feet more cargo capacity (w/ rear seats folded down) than the hatch? Based on those numbers, the wagon's max capacity is also 0.6 cubic feet SMALLER than an Audi A4 wagon. Is that possible? These numbers just don't add up to me. I guess I'll have to see it in person to really judge this. The A4 really is a small/compact wagon and I am sure the 6 wagon must be noticably larger.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Did you mean the statement: "The MAZDA6 5-Door is the only midsize 5-Door hatchback offered for sale in the U.S."?
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
  • "The MAZDA6 5-Door is the only midsize 5-Door hatchback offered for sale in the U.S."
    name one other midsize 5-Door hatchback thay is available in the US?

http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/coupehatchback/midsize/index.html- ?tid=edmunds.n.typeindex.content.num2.1.*
    Technically they may be correct. The ZX5 and Elantra wouldn't count because they are EPA compact class, and the Saab 9-2X and Suzuki Reno aren't for sale yet. I think the Prius is compact class too. To me the Malibu Maxx looks more like a hatchback though they call it a "wagon". Is it even shipping yet? And if it is, who cares? Oh, I see that Kelley Blue Book (kbb) calls the Malibu Maxx a hatchback 5-door, how funny.

Technically, the Mazda3 5-door is a EPA compact, though it measures 95 cubic feet (the Mazda6 sedan is 96).
    Interesting that Mazda has chosen to call the Mazda3 and Mazda6 "5-door" instead of hatchback. Some people even like to call the Mazda3 5-door a "wagon". Fortunately we won't have to worry about that with the Mazda6 5-door as there really is a Mazda6 wagon.
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    So... any pricing released for the US Mazda6 Wagon?
    Why aren't the side-impact airbags (SAB) a stand-alone option?

Thanks for the info so far...
    Technically nor in any other fashion. They goofed (or are intentionally trying to mislead the buying public--I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). Both the Prius and Malibu Maxx are midsized 5-door hatchbacks. Both have been for sale for some time.

Also if you read the quote from Mazda's press release, you will see that they do call the Mazda6 5-door a "hatchback".

Now a question: how much do the wagon and 5-door hatchback weigh?
    SAB/SAC is an option on the Mazda6 wagon (like on the sedan and 5-door) but you have to also get the Bose and Moonroof options to get it.

Dealers have pricing, but it is probably still preliminary at this time.
  • 5 door weigh is about m/t 3166 lbs- a/t 3221 lbs that the 4cyl model, the v6 would be a little under 200 lbs more than the 4cyl model
    You are correct, I checked the EPA web site and the Prius IS a midsize (96 cubic feet)!

Curb weights for the Mazda6 5-door:
    Mazda6 i MT : 3166
    Mazda6 i AT : 3221
    Mazda6 s AT : 3336
    Mazda6 s MT : 3417

These are approximately 100lbs more than for the sedan, depending on which model and trans you are looking at.

I don't know the weights for the wagon.
    So with 95 cubic feet the Mazda3 5-door only missed being a midsize by 1 cubic foot?
    Thanks much! What I really wanted to know is the weight differential between the 5-door and the wagon. There have been statements to the effect that the reason Mazda doesn't offer the 4-banger in the wagon is because of weight. I was just wondering how much heavier the wagon is. I'd really like a 4-cylinder wagon because I don't need the speed (nor does my teenage son), just the room, handling, and looks of the Mazda6 wagon. But it looks like a moot point, the wagon won't be offered with the 4-cylinder. But maybe the 5-door would be roomy enough. I hope Mazda has these cars at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show next month.
  • Prius IS is smaller than the mazda3 how is it a midsize car?
    It's based on interior room, not the size of the car. Prius is smaller than my Elantra too, but the Elantra is a compact.
    Mazda3 sedan is 94 cubic feet, EPA compact class
    Mazda3 5door is 95 cubic feet, EPA compact class

Prius is 96 cubic feet, EPA midsize class
    Mazda6 sedan is 96 cubic feet, EPA midsize class

The Mazda6 5-door is probably a little more than the sedan, but it's still EPA midsize class.
    Curb weights for the Mazda6 5-door:
    Mazda6 i MT : 3166
    Mazda6 i AT : 3221
    Mazda6 s MT : 3336
    Mazda6 s AT : 3417

I flipped the AT/MT on the last two. Doh!

I'll take a WAG that the wagon might be a little heavier than the 5-door, but by less than 100lbs.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    Different mfrs rate cargo capacity differently. Mazda had quoted loaded up to the cargo cover for the P5 when it first came out in NA and competitors trounced all over it by rating their vehicle's capacity as loaded up to the headliner (so you can't see through the rear windows). Mazda rated the P5's cargo space in the same fashion after having their head beaten about for a couple years for stating it the honest way.

The same may have happened for the Mazda6. I think its figures may be taken from the Japanese and European ratings. I think they have more stringent "truth in advertising" laws than we do here, so cargo capacities are more modest overseas.

I think rating cargo capacity as "loaded to the gills" is dishonest as it promotes very unsafe practices, but that's how many vehicles are rated here in NA. Check out the cargo spaces in the vehicles you're interested in yourself. Take luggage or a tape measure. I have found just going by numbers on paper is a poor method of comparing cargo capacity amongst vehicles, especially if they're only within a couple of cubic feet of each other (plus the shape of it may work better or worse for you). You also know something's fishy when one vehicle's cargo capacity figure is a LOT bigger than a comparable competitive vehicle's (that may be slightly smaller or slightly larger).
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,674
    one of the car magazines (I think C&D) does a test where the figure out the biggest box that will fit in the car with the hatch closed. I believe it is an adjustable tube frame that they expand until it just fits in the opening (for height and width), then for length .

Just another usable measure. I agree that up to the roof isn't very useful, since my goal is to not go above the seat back (easier to do in a van than a wagon).

anyway, having seen it in person, the cargo area seems plenty roomy, with a nice usable shape (that is, reasonably squared off).

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I know Consumer Reports measures cargo volume using an adjustable box.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I'm in South Florida for a week so I can't help until then....if you remind me next week I will get the manual tranny build specs....and anything else y'all need.

Rich
    Bring back the warm weather with you.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

They use it for vans, SUVs and larger vehicles. They also put in 4x8 pieces of plywood to see how well they'll fit (with rear seats removed or folded, whichever is the intended usage).

For sedans, hatches and wagons, they usually go by the number of pieces of luggage they can fit into the space (they cram as many large pullmans will fit, then use large duffels) and they also check to see how easy it is to put in and remove a folding wheelchair. Sometimes they use the frame for wagons.
    that's right. C&D uses my personal favorite, # of beer cases. Much more valuable to know than how many wheeel chairs I can carry!

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    CU uses the adjustable box for station wagons as well as SUV's and Mini vans. Nice to compare them directly.
    To be specific. :)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,042
    I recall their measuring system. But do they use can, bar bottle, or pony cases?? Inquiring minds want to know!!
    bar bottle cases. And no, I'm not sure which brand.

• yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Sorry if this question has been answered already, but does anyone know where the wagon will be produced, Japan or USA????? Thanx
    AAI plant at Flat Rock, MI.
This discussion has been closed.