Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Thanks mz6greyghost, I'll definitely be getting the 16' snows. I'll probably also shop around for some Mazda6 16" original rims. I should be able to find someone moving up to 17's or 18's selling them used.

Call me shallow but for 4 months out of the year I still need alloy wheels.

I think $550 is reasonable , if I can get 4 winters out of them , thats only $125 per winter. Cheap insurance for sure.
  • The Sales Manager there Brent Reed promised me a check to reimburse me for a ticket I received when the Mazda 6 Wagon that was three days old broke down in route to Manhattan.He filed out paper work in front of me to generate the check..guess what? Two months later no check. He also will not cancel my gap insurance. I've taken this up with Mazda credit. Stay far way from this dealer.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Isn't that comment kinda skirting the limits of the Member Agreement?
  • why should some other well intentioned buyer be taken advantage of?
    It's more important to know where to buy your car .........and Ramsey Mazda ain't it.
  • boatsboats Posts: 19
    It's getting to crunch time and I'm trying to decide about the M6 wagon... got the big dog (love the space/love the car), but commute a hundred miles a day... I need comfort and good gas mileage. What are you folks getting for gas mileage in your 2005 automatics on the highway? How are your seats for distance? Thanks!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    I have a 2004 wagon with 9000 miles. So far, positives are
    1) space -- I have 2 dogs and it's a great dog car
    2) comfort -- seats are really nice and long distance drives have been terrific
    3) reliability -- no problems so far
    4) handling -- love to drive it. It's even ok in snow so far.

The negative, and it's a big one if you have to drive 100 miles each day, is gas mileage. I have gotten 25 mpg on highway drives, but more generally in mixed driving, I'm lucky to average 20 mpg and in the winter, 17-18 mpg. I'm very disappointed in the mpg. I have a Nissan Maxima, also V6, that gets much better gas mileage (rarely under 23 mpg in all town driving). If your commute is mostly highway, though, it might not be so noticeable. I'm not sure what would be better though at this time given the above positives. Maybe a hybrid in a few years.
    Seems like 25 mpg highway is pretty typical for the wagon... I just love this little car, but gas mileage is something of a deal breaker... I think I could fit my life into the 3 hatchback (only have the 1 small pony-sized dog), but I'm getting a little old and my back isn't what it used to be (the reason I have to sell my beautiful Miata :cry: )... Anybody familiar with the M6 drive the M3 for any distance? unfortunately, I can't tell how comfortable it will be from a test drive... The seats seem good in the M3 and I wouldn't expect a "Miata ride" out of it (less stiff), but without driving it for a couple hundred miles, it's just too hard too tell... Comments?
    I'm 6-1 and weigh 180 pounds. I'm definitely a "big 'n tall" guy -- with more emphasis on the "big" unfortunately. (46-inch waist, size 13 shoe.)

I've owned my 2005 Mazda3 hatch (5-door, wagon, whatever) for 6,100 miles now. I've been on several 3-hour + trips in it and have enjoyed the seats and the room. And I can even put the front seat where I like it and still get in the seat behind it without eating my knees.

Average mileage I've observed, mostly commuting from the 'burbs to work downtown, is around 27. On my one big trip to the mountains (which included all hilly backroads and not one mile of interstate), I got about 31. Of course, I have the 5-speed -- I wouldn't dare zoom any other way.

:shades:

Meade
  • slickdogslickdog Posts: 225
    I'm getting 24-26 MPG driving my wagon locally (mostly rural/suburban roads, very little highway), but when I go on trips which are mostly highway driving I get 26+ MPG, my highest was 27.8 MPG for a three tank trip. I have the # of gallons and mileage saved in my computer for EVERY fuel stop I've made since I bought the car last November, and I only got worse than 24 MPG a handful of times during the first 3 months in cold weather.

The Mazda6 is certainly not the best for mileage in it's class, but you're really trading off some mileage for more driving excitement in my opinion.

Sorry, I only test drove the M3 once so I can't really say how it would be on long trips.
    Forgot to add that I have the MT in my wagon.
    Thanks, slickdog... that encourages me some... I can live with 26+mpg hwy, but 24 is just too depressing... I would get the AT, as I'm in So. Cal rush hour traffic (fortunately, I really love my job or I wouldn't be making the drive), but with the price of gas out here... YIKES! As for the M3, my problem is my 50+ year old back... I don't need to tear it up or wear it out any faster than necessary... (sucks gettin' old!)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    I'm 6-1 and weigh 180 pounds. I'm definitely a "big 'n tall" guy -- with more emphasis on the "big" unfortunately. (46-inch waist, size 13 shoe.)

6-1, 180, and 46" waist??
    My mileage seems to be on the high end of the range I've seen reported by others, for some reason. Not sure if the AT or MT would make much difference or not either.

I really liked the M3, and I didn't really need the size of the M6 because I already have an Outback, but I just couldn't live with the smaller passenger compartment. I'm tall and long legged but I like MT equipped cars, so I have the left knee hits steering wheel when declutching problem in short vehicles.

Good luck with your search, I know it aint easy.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769

6-1, 180, and 46" waist??

I think I remember reading 280 a few posts back; perhaps Dr. Meade has invented a crash diet.
    You guys are right. Typo!

Make that 4-1, 80 pounds and a 172-inch waist.

Have a great weekend at my expense!

Meade
    You guys are funny! Went and drove the M3 hatchback... its a nice car and reminds me of a Miata with a wagon on the back... got to drive the M3 HB and the M6 wagon back to back and, its the M6 wagon... size, comfort... it really has it all... I may have to just bite the MPG bullet and live with what I get...

But if I were 20, I'd sure want that M3...!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    Glad you liked the M6. Like I said, there aren't really too many alternatives for what you get with the M6 wagon. For me right now, the positives outweigh the one negative, the mpg.
  • satchmosatchmo Posts: 34
    I've read somewhere (another Edmunds forum?) that, in the near future, Mazda was going to cease U.S. production of its Mazda6 wagon and hatchback models because of slow sales. Since I see quite a few of these cars in the Washington DC area, I was surprised. Can anyone confirm or debunk this rumor?
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    I think that would be really unfortunate. One real advantage the Mazda 6 has over its competitors is the availability of the wagon and hatch bodystyles and their added utility. However Mazda 6 sales are up this year, and they're built in a plant that also builds the Ford Mustang, which is of course selling like hotcakes. They may just be running out of room.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Maybe they should offer the wagon with AWD. Do you think that would sell?
This discussion has been closed.