Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importing Canadian Vehicles to the U.S.

Comments

• joeyfmxjoeyfmx Posts: 7
    Ok, I have a honda but it should be the same I hope, I gotta get to new westminster and drive it here soon, uh what a long drive, thanks for the reply!
    Oh what form did you download? hs-7? And what did that one scentence compliance letter from chrysler canada say on it exactly? thanks again!
  • janalapeljanalapel Posts: 5
    Yes, it was the hs-7 document I downloaded...but didn't need since the airport customs people had that document ready for me to fill out. And the Chrylser "letter" (which ended up coming from the Michigan customer service dept. and not Canada after all) simply stated: The vehicle model, year and vin number and that it was compliant with U.S. safety standards. One sentence and one document that had one box to check off...was all I needed. No expensive changes to the speedometer or odometer were required...even thought the local former Canadian importer I talked to told me it would take him 8 weeks to do all the mechanical work and paper work required to import my van. Watch out for wrong information and people looking to take your money everywhere.
    Thank you for the info! I am wondering if you have to be there in person or not because I may just fax them the info so when I cross into usa from canada they will just look at the car and Im guessing they give you a piece of paper so you can register/title/get plates at az mvd?
  • janalapeljanalapel Posts: 5
    As I understand it....if you are entering the U.S. as a legal resident...with either citizenship or resident status...you can fill out the import documents at the time you cross the border and then you have what you need to get your Az. license plate. I had crossed the border as a snowbird with my van...since I wasn't sure if I was going to stay longer than 6 mos. at the time. I am a U.S. citizen but lived in Alberta for more than 30 years. Finding out about the airport customs saved me a trip back to Alberta...but if your vehicle is in B.C. and you have to go get it...you should be able to accomplish the importing at the border.
    I do know they require a letter of compliance with U.S. safety standards from the manufacturer and likely they will require an inspection of some kind. Talk to the customs officers at the border crossing you will go through. hope this helps!
  • gmiddgmidd Posts: 4
    Janalapel, earlier you wrote:
    The ONLY required document I had to provide was the letter of compliance (one sentence!!) from Chrysler Canada (actually came from Chrylser in Michigan and that took a few days of begging and faxing different numbers to get to the right department) plus the registration from Alberta.
    I am in the process of "importing" a car also. I have been denied this "Letter of Compliance" from Chrysler 3 times now. I even tried to get it through Dodge since the vehicle is a Dodge Van and a "Roadtrek" model. They say they will not supply the letter to a US citizen. Can you tell me what phone numbers you called or faxed? I already paid the Ca. citizen for the Roadtrek before I found out about the customs issue and the seller will not reverse the transaction. I'm stuck. Any other help or advice you or anyone else can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • I wonder if it is because I am also a permanent resident of Cn. but am a U.S. citizen...who was living in Alberta when I bought the Caravan there in 2002 (am the original owner of the van)...drove it here as a snowbird and decided to stay. .

I first contact Chrysler of Cn. but they forwarded my request for the letter of compliance to Michigan...customer service: Phone 800-992-1997 the bottom of the so-called letter contained this information:
    Chrysler Group LLC CIMS 484-04-04 P.O. Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, Mi. 48321
    Letter signature "J.W.K." Senior Staff
    The only information given was the vin number and that the vehicle met all U.S. federal safety and emission requirements...except labeling, in effect at the time it was manufactured.
    It didn't even require an inspection.
    I am not sure why this letter is so difficult to obtain. I called alot of numbers and faxed several times...finally got somebody to provide this simple statement. Went to customs at the airport and filled out the forms...same thing at Motor Vehicles.
    It took weeks...but in the end took minutes! All because of that letter...and bad information from the Cn./U.S. border in Montana saying I had to re-enter the U.S. to get the right documents when they can be downloaded from the internet!!!
    Hopefully being persistent will bring similar results.
    Just trying to be clear. You said you called several numbers and faxed several places before you got someone to provide the "letter". Is the number you gave me in the last reply the one that finally provided the letter?
    Thanks again for any help.
  • Hi
    I am trying to do the same as you did.
    You have now idea hope this has eased my anxiety.
    Can you tell me wher to go exactly at Sky Harbour ?
    Really appreciate what you have done here.

Thanks
    Alan
  • Hi

Thanks
    Alan
  • Hi

Thanks
    Alan
  • Well I did finally did get through customs. I did a lot of research on websites. There is a notation on the EPA website that all 1997 Chryslers are approved for import. Since the 1997 Roadtreck I have is a Dodge that qualified me. It was a major discussion at the border but I had a previous discussion with a woman in the border import office in Buffalo who agreed with me that I don't need the letter because of that. I had the border officer call her and they let me through, reluctantly.
    Gary
  • Got it done......thanks again for your very helpful post
  • Did customs make a copy of the compliance letter or just look at it ,or take it? Is hs-7 the only form you needed to fill out? What exactly did they do at customs? thanks!
  • Did they already know your vin or did you have to fill that out on the hs-7 form? What did you tell them before you came so they were ready for you, and do you by chance have the phone # for customs in the airport?
  • Did customs make a copy of the compliance letter or just look at it ,or take it? Is hs-7 the only form you needed to fill out? What exactly did they do at customs? thanks!

Did they already know your vin or did you have to fill that out on the hs-7 form? What did you tell them before you came so they were ready for you, and do you by chance have the phone # for customs in the airport?
  • importkiaimportkia Posts: 2
    I am a US citizen living in Canada. I bought a 2010 Kia Soul from a dealer new about one year ago while living in Canada. I am now moving, next week or so, back to the US and am struggling to make sure I can drive the car into Canada and "import" it to stay with me in my new residence in the US.
    Kia provided a letter stating the car complies with all US EPA standards, but will not provide a letter of conformance or compliance in regards to US safety standards. Nobody can seem to tell me what is non-conforming or what modifications would be required (if any) to make it conform.
    I don't know what to say about this. Mine had a sticker on the door stating compliance with US saftey standards. But if it helps all that the border officers cared about was EPA. They never even looked at saftey.
    Good Luck!
  • medlowamedlowa Posts: 7
    I imported a Chevy Camaro. GM supplied a letter compliance for safety but not the epa.
    So we had it tested in AZ and it passed. we took this certificate along with the gm letter of compliance to the customs in Phoenix and filed out the paper work there.
    It only took around 5 minutes and we were done, they did not keep any docs.
  • berlawberlaw Posts: 1
    I purchased my ssr truck in US & now want to sell it . If I sell it back into the US what do I have to go through at the boarder US customs ???? I do have the original Title from the original owner could I just drive threw and hand over the truck and original Title in US ???
  • pamaramapamarama Posts: 1
    Felt I needed to post about my experience here, as I just went through this process today, with a 1999 Honda Civic, importing from Canada to the USA. I'm a Canadian citizen but permanent resident of the US for the past 8 years. I had a lot of anxiety about it, but it turned out to be a simple process As other posters mentioned, you do not need the HS-7. What you need is a letter on original letterhead from the manufacturer (in my case, American Honda, if importing a Honda manufactured in Canada into the USA). Do this in advance, as it took a few weeks to get this letter from them. I crossed the Windsor-Detroit border today with a temporary 10-day plate on the car I obtained in Ontario when the title was transferred to me (at a cost of $15). The customs officer asked me for the vehicle registration/title before even asking for my ID (a greencard, in my case), and when I planned to import the car. I said, "uh...now". I didn't realize there was an option?? Anyway, he sent me inside to fill out a form "CBP 7501" - "Entry Summary". They asked for the vehicle registration, my ID again, and gave me an explanatory form to help me fill out the form correctly. They inspected the car, had a big discussion about one ambigous line in the letter from US Honda stating the car was "non-compliant" re: instrument panel differences. (i.e. km/hr vs mph on the odometer), went out to inspect the car again, and then issued me 2 copies of the stamped, approved 7501, one for me and one for Secretary of State so I can register the car here in Mich. They were extremely courteous and helpful. As long as you have a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle complies with US standards, you will be ok. Make sure you have a temp plate on the car and insurance. Do your homework! Many late-model cars are importable into the USA. Expect to spend a half hour or so at customs going through the process, but they will help you through it.

Oh, and another good thing...I was charged ZERO duty on it at the border. I asked the Customs Officer what I should write under the "value" section on the form, as the car was used and a gift to me from my dad. He guesstimated $2000, but wrote $0 in the value for duty section, so I was charged no duty. He said if I had been importing a brand new Ferrari, I'd be assessed duty, but not for an older car like the Honda.

When I register the car at the Secretary of State office on Tues., they will likely charge state tax on the assessed value of $2000. I'm ok with that! :-)

Glad to see this forum here. The process of importing cars can be a bit mystifying. Just do your homework! The info is available online or with a phonecall or two. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row when you show up at Customs. They will help you with the paperwork.

Cheers! E-mail me if I can help in any way. I can relate to the confusion on this...took me months to sort it all out, but in the end, it was a process, but a smooth one.
  • It is going to happen to me as well.
    I am crossing US Border at Detriot -Windsor from Canada with my Canadian Honda Civic.
    I have a recall clearance letter from Canadian Honda Manufacture, and waiting for a compilance letter from US Honda Manufacture.

I don't have time to wait the compilance letter from US Honda Manufacture.
    I am wondering if I cross the border without this letter or not.

Do you have any experience?

Thanks

Kwn
  • ataurataur Posts: 1
    I am Canadian citizen and working us on TN Visa. I would like to import my car Hyundai Sentafe to US. I got Compliance letter from Hyundai Canada with CMVSS standard. What else I need?
  • I have been driving my GMC Envoy that I bought in canada three years ago. Its canadian plates have expired. The car is already in US. I want to register it in WA, USA. How can I get letter of compliance to US standards?
  • abrayabray Posts: 1
    What can anyone tell me about importing this car into the US? EPA, DOT, etc compliance etc. Thanks
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,901
    It's more than 25 years old so it shouldn't be a problem.

Start here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-- vehicles-%2F-cars-for-personal-use
  • nitlsunitlsu Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Honda Civic that I imported from Canada to US a few years back. I did the necessary paperwork and it's registered in TX right now. Presently I am looking at selling the thing...can I do so? The speedometer and more importantly the odometer are in KMs (at least the speedometer has both units listed...not the odo though). Do I need a new odometer? Can someone who has done this whole selling process before give me some suggestions?
  • I recently became a permenent resident in the US living in Texas. I am working on importing my 2007 Honda Civic. The car is already in the US. When I originally drove into the US it was as a visitor so nobody inspected my car or anything for import. Now I want to be able to register and insure the car in Texas. I already have the compliance letter. I have been told I now have to take my car to a place called Wallace Labs, in Houston for testing and such, and pay $3400 to Wallace Labs before I can register the car in TX. Does anybody know if this is correct?
  • After trying to obtain a letter of compliance from General Motors of Canada,i was informed that they no longer issue these letters. So be advised,should u desire to register a Canadian General Motors car in the U.S.,I was forced to consult a broker that knows all the ins and outs of this process,the cost for me was 350. dollars. But lucky for me ,i am located near the Canadian Border as is the broker which made the process much easier. Money well spent for me.
  • ram39ram39 Posts: 1
    i bought a car from canada and i have the title and bill of sale and also i worked an getting the manufacturing letter and i have it now. My question is will the sos in us Mi give me a temporary liscense plate to go get the car from canada ?