Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Olds Alero-Turn Signals quit (sometimes--Help!

sewheelsewheel Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
My 2000 Oldsmobile Alero is having blinker problems. Somedays the just don't work at all. The light doesn't flash, it doesn't make that "blinker" sound or nothing. But some days it works fine. I take it to the dealer and of course they say it is working fine and their is nothing they can do about it. I don't know what else to do. I can't have my blinker just quit while driving around the city. This is annoying. Does anybody out there have any ideas on what might be wrong?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stacie

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd check the ground in the front turn or tail light assembly, maybe add an extra ground and also clean up the bulbs and their sockets. Another cheap guess would be to replace the signal flasher.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Check your brake lights, emergency flashers, and high beams. Operate them all several times each and see if they work reliably. Also, try slightly wiggling the turn signal lever while flashers are operating to see if they are intermittent. The actual component that the lever attaches to in the column is the combination switch, and all of these circuits can be affected by it. I've seen them bad in this way, sometimes even when new. It's possible this is your problem. The low beam headlights usually aren't affected.
    If your under warranty, no problem. If not, it's about a $150 repair.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    It could be a bad bulb. If the filiment is broken and making intermittant contact it would do what you are discribing. Does it only do it on one side or both? If both I would start with the flasher, then the bulbs. Replace all turn signal bulbs, I have had the best luck with Sylvania Long Life bulbs.
    sewheel,
    I doubt if bad bulbs, grounds or wiring is a problem on such a new car, but of course it doesn't hurt to check.
    I've seen three Grand Am's with exactly the problem your're describing (one belongs to my daughter) and it's been the combo switch on all of them. In most cases, the signals, high beams, and brake lights are either all intermittent at the same time or in some combination. The Alero and Grand Am are the same in this design.
  • ctalericoctalerico Member Posts: 23
    My 2000 Alero GLS is having this problem. The first time I noticed it was when I had my flashers on. I just pulled out and went to turn my directional on (must have been before I turned my flashers off) and that was when my directionals stopped working. It comes and goes now for no reason.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    I deal with this a bunch in my field. Several GM cars, specifically the Alero, Gran Prix, and Grand Am and trucks like the Blazer and Jimmy have had an electrical issue with inoperative turn signals and also headlights. The lighting systems intermittently fail while driving. GM knows about it and has published TSB 280201 (for the Blazer) and several related TSBs for the other models. Good luck, as GM hasn't found a cure yet.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I did a search on GM's information system and came up empty.
    I didn't find any TSBs on the lighting system either. Just curious where you got that from. Maybe I can locate the TSB then.
  • blautensblautens Member Posts: 14
    I have a 1999 Alero GLS with 22000 miles that just started that problem. It is uncommon, but it definately happens. No turn signals, and it just comes back on by itself later. I'll lump it in with my regular "warped rotor" service rather than make a special trip just for that problem...I got almost 5000 miles out of the last rotors...yippee.
    That's the way our 95 GA was also. My daughter uses it now at college. It started out to just be an intermittent high beam problem. When the high beams were turned on, all the headlights would go out. Wiggling the switch handle would usually rectify it. We didn't worry about it much since we rarely used the high beams. Then much later (years, after the car became a college taxi) the turn signals and brake lights became intermittent. I checked the wiring and connectors, then it became apparent it was the switch itself, since I could wiggle it and cause all of these functions to be go/no go. At this time I noticed that the emergency flashers were also affected.
    Since that time I've advised two other owners with similar symptoms and it's turned out to be the problem.
    My 99 Grand Am hasn't had a problem in this area (yet!).
    Sounds like a problem in the multi switch (turn signal assembly).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You should share your problem with the general population and maybe you'll get an answer from someone who has had the same experience. Post it at:

/direct/view/.ef0627d

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Comes up as.....

File Not Found

The file you have requested was not found. Edmunds.com does not recommend bookmarking vehicle detail or editorial pages. If you wish to bookmark Edmunds.com, we suggest you bookmark our homepage at http://www.edmunds.com.

• jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    zueslewis-That TSB number is way to short to be from GM, it isn't even long enough to be an informational document number. A TSB is a SERVICE BULLITEN, if they can't service the thing it is not a TSB, and an informational document is just that information, GM is probably working on the problem and doesn't have a fix as of yet.

All indications (no pun intended) are the turn signal switch itself is bad, if they go out again see if the hazards work, if not it's definitely the switch. Take it to the dealer tell them you want it changed under customer satisfaction, magically they will re-create your problem and charge it to the warranty.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    /direct/view/.ef0627d

Sorry 'bout that. My fingers went too fast for my brain.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The topics switch around so much, I lose some of them sometimes and forget they're there.
This discussion has been closed.