Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• alger1alger1 Posts: 10
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the straight answer without the smart alec response, like the one below yours.
       Thanks Again,
             ALGER1
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,679
    Well at least you turned off the caps... Good luck with your car.

Bob
    First off, the caps are off, second I've owned several Toyotas that were 7 plus yrs. old and haven't had a problem. I was told, by several friends that Subaru's were as reliable as Toyotas; I was just hoping that they were right. And yes I do know that wheel bearings and such wear out with age, I was just hoping that I didn't have to spend a fortune on (as you stated) a car that old.
    When I (we) see a post in all caps, it is often interpreted as shouting or screaming, hence my original reply—and there's no need to shout or scream, as we are all friends here (most of the time).

I'm being sincere when I say good luck with your car.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The previous owner could have whacked something that caused the wheel bearing to go. I have that problem on my '94 Legacy Turbo that I bought. I whacked a huge crater and killed a wheel bearing shortly after.

-mike
  • ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    throwing parts at an 'unknown' problem generally isn't economical. Next time you have a problem, come here first :-D
    Owen
    Mike,
      Just wanted to let you know that I took my Outback to the local Subaru dealership today; the man that wrote down my info tried to tell me that I had some sort of transmission problem that is common to these cars (without even driving the car). When I showed resistance to his diagnosis, he said the tranny might just need a flush and fill. I told him that is possible, but I believe the wheel bearings are shot. He's supposed to call me after the mechanic does his diagnosis. I'll let you know!
     Later,
        Marty
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wheel bearing problems are much less common on Outbacks (vs. Imprezas and Foresters before 2002) but it still happens on occasion.

Marty: at that mileage an ATF flush is probably a good idea, just know that it's not what's causing the noise you're complaining about.

In fact I might wait just to be sure the noise goes away after that single fix.

-juice
    I just got off the phone with the dealership and it is a bad wheel bearing. They said the car has to have a four wheel allignment when the wheel bearings are replaced.. is this true, even though the car tracks fine? I hope so, because it's drove the cost up to over $400.00 just to replace a wheel bearing.
    Juice,
        I agree that the tranny needs flushed, and that it will be done after, I'm sure that the repair was done to my satisfaction. Is there any other little or large problems that can be expected in the near or distant future? I hope not, this wasn't supposed to be a project car.
      Thanks for the advice,
             Marty
    While the car is with the mechanic, have him go over it thoroughly, as if you were going to buy it. That way you will have a better idea of what to expect down the road.

Bob
    $400 with alignment isn't that bad, and yes it's required after a wheel bearing. Unfortunately the bearing cost is $50 but the labor is killer.

-mike
    Marty: no worries, Mazda charged us $820 for a single wheel bearing on our 626. You paid half as much as we did.

The alignment is a good idea, IMO.

Keep the oil fresh and just listen our for any unusual noises/vibes. Stick around and we'll help if any issues come up. Generally someone can.

-juice
    Thanks guys,
         The car is a really nice vehicle, it looks brand new inside and out. I guess thats why I was so upset that it needed the TLC that cost $$$. I plan to keep reading, but I must admit that I hope that the need to write never comes again.
      Later,
       Marty
    where you located at?

-mike
    The Horse Capital of the World:Lexington, Kentucky.
    -Marty
    Ah ha! Nice.

-mike
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Still trying to track down the noise in the wife's 03 OBW before I take it in for service. I think its' basically a once-per-revolution noise.

Definitely doesn't sound like anything related to the valve train

Makes a loud (I can hear from >20 feet away) clicking noise, definitely louder under load, but still seems to fade away after about 20 minutes. I'm going to go pick up a new stethescope this weekend.

Any ideas where's a good place for me to start to listen on the engine?

TIA

Larry
    Patti said dealers have a tool they call "ears" that can track the source of noise. Course you may have to leave it overnight.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Like to see those in action....

Actually I plan on leaving it for a couple of nights. The first one is for them to find it, the 2nd for me to be there in case they can't...

Larry
    Good idea. Keep us posted?

-juice
  • bodhiviewbodhiview Posts: 7
    Just bought a 03 OB and starting at @ 65 and progressing louder at 67mph and increasing with each mph increase is a high pitch squeal to very loud at 72, 75 mph. When foot comes off petal sound stops, but starts/continues when foot steps down on pedal and is continuous when cruise control is in place. Dealer said it is probably AWD engine and women notice it more than men. Have there been other reports of this?

I've always had Subarus since 1981 and this noise is crazy. Can't keep car if this can't be fixed as I use it for distance travel. HELP!!
    Just bought a 03 OB and starting at @ 65 and progressing louder at 67mph and increasing with each mph increase is a high pitch squeal to very loud at 72, 75 mph. When foot comes off petal sound stops, but starts when foot steps down on pedal and is continuous when cruise control is in place. Dealer said it is probably AWD engine and women notice it more than men. Have there been other reports of this?

I've always had Subarus since 1981 and this noise is crazy. Can't keep car if this can't be fixed as I use it for distance travel. HELP!!
  • lorikentlorikent Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering my first Subaru purchase - the 2005 Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition. When researching this car, someone mentioned that the manual clutch assembly on Subaru vehicles seems to need replacing more frequently than normal. The Subaru warranty does not cover the clutch assembly, which has me a little worried if there are chronic clutch problems. Can anyone verify this or share some of their own thoughts? Would I be better off going automatic?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    That issue was fixed with the 03 model year. The clutch on my 03 WRX has been bulletproof, and I haven't seen any complaints of other clutch problems here on the 03-05 models (plenty before 03 however). So I think you are safe to get a manual 05 model.

Craig
    If it's a continuous high pitched whine then it's the gears in the center/front differential (and this is fairly common). My 02 LL Bean Outback makes this noise, but it's barely noticeable. FYI, it's not a problem, it's normal. However, that's not much help if the noise bothers you!

Craig
    Do you hear it at a certain speed and does it get louder? The dealer said it may be part of AWD and that in the past the tried changing the transmission but the noise continued and Subaru HQ's told him to stop. Thanks. Phyl
    I think my car makes the whine at about 65mph and up, only when you press the gas pedal. It's like a real faint whistle noise.

craig
    That's it. Does anyone else hear it and is it loud enough to bother people? Thanks. Phyll
  • jhuang76jhuang76 Posts: 9
    I assume the Subaru dealership you went to was Oldham? If you don't mind me asking, how was the service? Did they fix your problem to your satisfaction?

Thanks