Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• keith53keith53 Posts: 4
    Hi. Dumb question I know but how do you check the ATF level in a Outback ('01 6 cyl). The manual says there's a dipstick on the right side of the engine (looking from the front) near the firewall, but for the life of me I can't find it. Thanks for any responses.

Keith
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    On my 02 outback 4cly the dipstick is acually down behind the engine right at the trans case . It is very hard to find .
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It is yellow, at least.

On the manual trannies, it's on the other side, i.e. passenger side on the top of the transmission tunnel.

It's a long reach but you can reach it. It's also where you add gear oil.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    hee hee... as time passes it's engine color :o)

It needs a guide rope to find ;-)

-Dave
    OCD Club Members have to clean their engine bays once in a while. :-)

Actually, after changing my gear oil I cleaned mine. Misted on some Simple Green and then hosed it off with a gentle spray. It's impossible not to spill at least some gear oil, given the reach.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481
    21+ mpg is still pretty bad. I usually get 24 to 25 on my 60 mile RT mostly highway commute.

I just took a road trip with my '03 OBW A/T (33k miles) and got from 27 to 31 mpg. A/C on. No cruise - tried to use it but found out it didn't work :(

27.5 from home to Vince Lombardi service plaza in North Jersey via PA TP from Valley Forge and NJ TP.

29+ mpg from Vince Lombardi service plaza to Maine (via NH) - drove the NJ TP to 18W; over the GW bridge; Major Deegan, Hutchinson, Merrit, and Wilbur Cross parkways; I-91; I-84; Mass TP; I-495; I-93; then local 2 lane roads to Mt. Washington area, then into Maine the next day. My speed on the interstates and parkways was probably 65 to 75. Three people with luggage.

31 mpg - local roads between NH and Maine. Three to four people with some heavy luggage.

26.5 mpg - RT Mt. Washington area to Woodstock, VT via local roads. Four people; no luggage. Heavy rain on return trip.

29.5 mpg - From Mt. Washington area to Newburgh, NY via local roads across NH; I-91 in VT, MA, CT; I-84 across CT, NY. Four people and loaded with luggage to the top of the rear headrests.

28 mpg - From Newburgh, NY to SE PA via I-84 across NY, PA; local roads thru the Poconos to home. Four people and loaded with luggage to the top of the rear headrests.

DaveM
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I normally buy a section of hardwall poly tube about 3-4 feet long. Put one end down in the filler/dipstick tube, and hold the other out away from the car where I can get comfortable. Then just squeeze it in. No hassle, no mess!

Craig
    Same here, I have a long tube also, my problem was keeping the end of it inside the fill hole! It kept slipping out. I even had a clip (from the end of an oil pump I have) but that kept slipping.

I think I need a smaller diameter tube.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Dave,

I agree it should be better, but at least it was an improvement for him. Prior to this trip he had just hit 5000 miles; he put another 1000 on jsut from this trip. I think if he uses the car for more than the streets of Brooklyn, that the mileage would improve. Heck, take a drive on the Belt Parkway (at around 8 am on a cloudy Sunday morning that is).

Mark
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481
    Yeah, tell him to get out of the city. :)

DaveM
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    For filling gear oil also consider a "Suction Gun". Looks like a grease gun but has a rubber hose outlet. Costs <$10 at Tractor Supply or other auto parts. Pull the lever, it fills up, push the lever, it drains out.

You can also use it as a turkey baster :>)
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    on the tire rotation issue. I still don't see a good reason for not cross rotating, by I will follow it. Fortunately, I only have 24,500 miles on my OBW (and 8k or so of that was on the snows), so I cannot imagine that there could be any real damage, especially in light of the following:

Out of curiosity, I took some tread depth measurements to see how uniformly they were wearing. Numbers are x/32". This is a 5 rib design, and only the 4 inside channels are full depth (the rest of the blocks close up at varying depths, greatly changing the tread design). I took the measurements at 3 points across the tread:

mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm
    ------------X1-----------X2------------------------- X3
    outside edge ======> inside edge

Inside Center Outside
    FL ------ 8 ------ 9 ------ 8+
    RL ------ 9 ------ 9 ------ 9
    FR ------ 8 ------ 9 ------ 8
    RR ------ 8 ------ 9 ------ 8

Conclusions: Overall wear is on target, and quite even all around. Original depth was 10 or 11 / 32, IIRC on the RE92's. With legal limit = 2/32", projected range would exceed 50k miles if I adjust the tire pressure upwards slightly to compensate for the lower center wear. Then again, with how badly they handle, why would I want to?

Steve
    Suction gun would be useful for lots of applications I can think of.

-juice
  • martijnhmartijnh Posts: 24
    I replaced the stock tires on my 00 OB Ltd a while back. I chose the Yokohama Avid tires. I really like them. Quiet and the car rides very nicely.

Also, nobody on this board seems to have ventured and hooked up an IPod straight into the factory stereo. Too bad, I would like to figure it out.

Cheers!
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    "Suction gun would be useful for lots of applications I can think of."

Remember, this forum is rated "PG".
    We've talked about various iPod strategies, and people on other forums have tried some. If your radio has any type of CD-changer input, it is possible if you are adventurous and are comfortable with electronics.

On the 05 Legacy/Outback, we're dead in the water since there is no input jack on the radio at all. Even the antenna jack is non-standard, so using an inline FM modulator is going to be difficult.

Craig
  • martijnhmartijnh Posts: 24
    I'm quite comfy with electronics. My thought was to use the CD changer control input. However, I don't know what the pin-out is, etc. I guess that's what I'm looking for at this point in the game. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!
    LOL rob, that's not what I meant!

Mazda and Scion are well ahead of Subaru in the stereo game.

-juice
  • areare Posts: 1
    IPOD/Satellite Connection - Subaru of America appear to have done everything possible to prevent this in the 2005 Outback/Legacy. I'm currently trying to source the McIntosh Stereo faceplate etc that Subaru offers in Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. Looks like we could fit "real" stereos into this hole? Why is this not offered as an upgrade option in the US? These links might rub salt in the wound........

http://www.subaru.co.nz/New_Vehicles/Legacy/GT/interior.php

http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/utility/09/index.html
    Yeah, I am a little peeved about the stereo -- it's a step backwards in my opinion. My wife's 03 Forester stereo had 6CD changer *plus* cassette, weather band, and a CD changer jack on the back. The new radio in the 05 Leg/OB is considerably less capable and less expandable in my opinion.

If somebody makes an antenna adapter for SUbaru's non-standard antenna plug, we can at least wire in an FM modulator but that's not very good sound quality. Regardless, that's not even an option yet!

It will be difficult/expensive to install one of the foreign stereo options since the climate control is integrated into the face plate. Good luck finding a plate with the US-compatible climate controls!!

Craig
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    IMHO Subaru has take a huge step back - all the way to the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable idea of integrating the radio right into the climate control console. Its one of my pet peeves when looking at the 05's.

Ford was roundly (and rightly) criticized for doing that.

It was a while before the aftermarket faceplates were available and then they were (are?) very expensive. That was one of the reasons I ordered my Sables with the Mach audio and CD built in - not the greatest audio, but way too expensive to upgrade the base system.

Larry
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    "Suction gun would be useful for lots of applications I can think of."

Remember, this forum is rated "PG".

Nope, we updated that last year... down to "G" :)

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    On the passenger side of the car is the ATF Dipstick, on the drivers side there is one for the front diffy.

-mike
  • Hi,

Hope this is the right forum. I had a question about a quote I received from a Subaru dealership for my 45,000 mi service appointment. (I have a 2001 Outback wagon.)

From the Subaru site, it looks like this includes:
    Replace - oil and oil filter
    Inspect - Disc brake pads and discs/Front and rear axle boots and axle shaft
    joint portions, Clutch system, Steering and suspension system
    Perform - Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service
    brake system, Rotate and inspect tires

The dealership quoted me $345 and told me it would take 2-2.5 hours. I told a friend of mine, and he seemed to think this was very high for only a series of inspections and an oil change.

So, can someone here help me out? Is this quote in the right ballpark? Or am I being taken for a ride?

Any help you can offer would be wonderful. Thanks.
    That's about what is costs around here, just for reference.

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I'll second that. Given the importance most buyers place on sound these days, I can't believe Subaru didn't unearth this in focus groups while the car was in development.

I -very much- like the look of the integrated console, but, if you are going to do it that way, you -have- to offer the buyer some flexibility in terms of an optional system, and you have to anticipate technological developments like inputs for personal music players.
  • Funny,
    My 00 AT has the opposite arrangement...
  • Total ripoff for 45000 but almost sounds right for 30000/60000 service.
    Make sure there was no misunderstanding.
    30000/60000 service includes lots of replacements in addition to engine oil/filter.
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 808
    Dealers have developed an extreme conditions maintenance plan. What would normally be done on 30/60 is done on 15/45, for the exception of replacing spark plugs. FWIW, I paid $229 for the 15k on my 03 OBW. Rob M.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,938
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what the manufacturer requires and what we think it should cost in your zip code.

There's a 45,000 mile service for Outbacks?

Oh-oh :-)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.