Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    I've been away from the Subaru boards for a couple weeks and find they turned very nasty in a short time. Lighten up everybody! Life's too short!

I guess I'm lucky. My 2001 LLBean just turned 26K, and except for new front rotors and pads it has been flawless... AND I got 24.7 MPG (highway) with my last fillup (it has averaged around 21 MPG since ~ 10K break in). Seems the faster I drive and the higher the outside temperature (and the higher the AC cranks) the better the mileage...can't figure it out. No correlation...

Hope everyone out there resolves their problems, sells their "lemons", whatever....
  • tojulutojulu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1992 legacy with 176,000 miles on it. Absolutely flawless until a few months ago. On the 1st start in the morning the car runs fine all day. Once I stop, if I start the engine again within 4 or 5 hours the check engine light is on. When I start again in the morning, no light. I was thinking it was something in a temp sensor, however the temp is fine as are all other indicators.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Most likey it's related to the cat. CELs are usually related to the emissions system especially in those older subies. I'll bet it has to do with the cat or O2 sensor.

-mike
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    When you call, please let the Rep. know that I'd like to see your case.

Thanks!

Patti
  • lemonriderlemonrider Member Posts: 17
    Patti, thank you for your concern. Yes it does make the noise over bumps. It also occurs over dips or any other uneven road surface when the wheels are turned.

I understand there are certain noises a suspension makes, but sometimes it feels as if someone was banging the steering column with a hammer.

It’s frustrating because I really do like the car.
  • cedarhillcedarhill Member Posts: 2
    We had to have the clutch replaced in our 99 after 61K last month. Since then we have had to take it back three times due to the same problem: the clutch pedal would not return fully and the friction point shifted 3-4 inches. They now have our car again (4th time) because my wife didn't even get it out off their lot before the clutch started acting up. We have 2 questions: 1) Any one else out there have this kind of clutch problem? and 2) How many tries do we have to give these guys? I'm convinced they don't know an open end from a box end wrench, and it's been so long since the service manager got grease under his nails he can't remember when the last time was. BTW, is anyone from SOA listening?
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    ... in my '97 OB wagon w/ about 88K miles is from a nearly dead strut on the left side. I noticed a "clunk" sound and had a feeling of something being loose and not quite right. This happened at slower speeds (5-30 mph) and usually around corners over bumps or dips, and straight washboard dirt roads.

I brought it to the dealer. They said nothing was wrong. Shortly thereafter, it developed a rhythmic clicking or metallic tapping noise when driving 20-40 mph w/ the steering wheel slightly right of center, in the same LF wheel. Brought it to the dealer. They said the noise was due to a warped rotor, they could turn them for over $100! The car had exhibited no signs of warped rotors (shimmying when braking, loping up to stoplights, etc.) No thanks.

One thing fixed and both questions answered for $20: Brought it to national chain brake / suspension place. Clicking was fixed with a clip on the brake caliper. Clunk sound: bad strut. The dealer had overlooked the leaking, oily strut both times, and tried to sell me overpriced turning of rotors that were just fine, while overlooking the simple, cheap solution easily diagnosed by the other shop.

Can anyone recommend a competent, honest Subaru dealer in SLC, UT? Anyone else with front end noise try strut replacement? Thanks for your time. Sorry this was so verbose.
  • emmalineemmaline Member Posts: 27
    I thought I’d found a solution to the problems I’ve been having with my 2002
    Subaru Legacy wagon by taking a considerable loss, and trading it in for a Honda CR-V. I
    was counting on my past experience with Honda, and Toyota. Then, I checked in with
    Edmunds, and discovered that the Honda CR-V has had problems, many of them
    computer-related (ABS light coming on, etc). Also, I’ve been annoyed by “whistling”
    type noises in my Legacy, only to find that the CR-V has them also.

My next step is to check in on Toyoto’s RAV4. The problem being that I do not
    like its design.

I would just like Subaru/Honda/Toyota to come out with a simple station wagon,
    clean lines, no computer problems. No noises. I’ve had this in the past with Hondas and
    Toyotas. Emma
  • emmalineemmaline Member Posts: 27
    It's really strange that the message I posted came up with "18#8217" throughout. I apologize if it was my computer. Emma
  • bernballbernball Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We have a 97 Outback with 76K on it. Starting yesterday, we noticed a low-frequency noise coming from the rear left wheel area when we turned the car to the right. It seems to be at the same frequency as the tires rotating. I looked under the car for tires rubbing --- none. Is it possibly the rear differential? Thanks for the help, bernball
    Welcome to 2002. You are not going to find a car w/o computer issues. Unfortunately the best I could tell you is to buy a used Honda or Toyota...

-mike
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    After reading posts here, I ran out Friday afternoon and checked my 2001 LLBean's coolant level. It is half way between "full" and "add" after being driven 26K+ miles. Whew! No problems here...

Ralph
  • jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same "problem" on my 00 OB Sedan. When you are turning over bumps, it feels as if someone is hitting you're steering column with a hammer. I read about this problem a while back...and I thought there were many people who said they had experienced it. I also think I read that Suburu fixed it the following MY (sorry but I didn't see what year you have). I'm so used to it that I don't even consider it a problem, just one of the quirks that car has.

Jon
  • gof4gof4 Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone had the horn changed ? I like having the confirmation beep when I lock the car,but the sound I feel is too loud. Other than turning it off completely are there any other options?
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    I'd suspect a wheel bearing. If you grab the top of the tire and shake it firmly can you feel any slack? You have to be firm as you're checking for slack on a tire with 800lbs on it. Any grease leaking out of the hub area?

Also - what about the rear brake pads on that side. If they're worn to the metal you'll get a noise and the slight slack of a normal wheel bearing may allow the rotor to rock a bit and come in contact with the worn pad.
  • lemonriderlemonrider Member Posts: 17
    Jon

I have a 2000 Legacy GT. Not only does it feel like it is being hit with a hammer, but it also feels loose when driving over bumps.

This is one of those quirks I could easily live without.
  • WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    Add my name to the list of people concerned with coolant loss in the H6 (2001 VDC). Checked yesterday and the coolant level is definitely low. The car will get serviced next week and I will report back then, although I may simply have Fitzgerald top off the level this time and monitor it closely over the next month or two. This is very disconcerting...

Bill
    call us at 1-800-SUBARU3. We are "listening" through these boards, but it is not the place to actually resolve issues. Our Customer Service Representatives are well trained to try and get solutions for concerns.

We also use the information we get through our case tracking system to document situations and it helps us find solutions for other customers.

We would really appreciate folks letting us know directly when they have a problem that their dealer cannot fix.

Thanks!

Patti
  • robert116robert116 Member Posts: 36
    Bill, very sorry to see your name added to the growing list of H6 owners with this perplexing problem. Hopefully your situation can be explained by a leak (external) but I advise to you have an oil analysis done to check for the presence of glycol (antifreeze) in the oil of your very expensive automobile.
    I hope you are in the same time frame as us with regard to your state's lemon law, ours has been at the dealer for another weekend-10 business days and counting-and all that has been done is a pressure test. Surprise, surprise, the system is tight.
    We get to send our letter on Friday, at least in seven days the issue will be resolved; if in fact that is the route they wish to take.
    Waiting for a decision by Fuji Heavy.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My LL Bean has 5,000 miles and it has been a great car.

I put a tank of 92 octane gas in 2 weeks ago and got a check engine light the next morning. Took it to the dealer and they said the "check engine" was due a code related to fuel.

They suggested not going over 89 Octane.

It got down to half a tank and I put in 87 Octane to balance it out.

Got the check engine light again.

Any advice on Fuel to keep the LL Bean happy? Thx.
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    What fuel were you using for the previous 5000 miles? The same?

I really doubt if the octane level of the fuel was the reason, but more likely you bought some contaminated fuel that is still in your system. How is the car running - any changes? If not, then you might try to wait for a tank or two to run through the system (buying gas from another station), or take the car to another mechanic for second opinion.

I've used 91 octane (premium in my area) from various stations in my area for my Bean without any problems.

Steve
    Yes - I have been running roughly the same fuel for the first 5000 miles. I only buy gas from 1 or 2 places.

The car seems to run the same. Perhaps a tick louder than originally. Oil and coolant are fine.

It takes me a few weeks to go through a tank so I guess.

What sort of contamination can gas have?

Thanks.
  • ochsskochssk Member Posts: 52
    We had a similar problem with our Bean and the CEL light. It turned out the ECU needed reprogramming and the dealer mentioned that many H6's have this problem. Our code was a false misfire reading. Did they actually read the code at the dealer?

The most common fuel related problem seems to be with the gas cap. If that is the case your light should go out either after getting below a half tank or a short time after refilling. We've been using premium fuel (92 octane) since we owned our Bean without a fuel related problem (6000+ miles now). Good luck

Steve
  • bernballbernball Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I did not see any leakage from the hub or differential area. On the good side (perhaps) the noise has gone away. We just had our brakes and bearings checked yesterday and I explained to the technician the problem we were having. He said bearings and brakes looked fine. We'll keep watching and waiting for the next occurence. Again, thanks!
    They did check the code at the dealer and it came up "fuel".

Perhaps I did just get a bad batch of fuel.

I will be back at the dealer for an odd problem so if it is still causing trouble I will have them check it out.

The odd problem? My rear "Outback" logo is seperating from its adhesive. They plan to heat-gun it off and put on a new one.

-- Joe
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    nowakj66, Well, if all we ever had to worry about are the logos falling off! I like it.

Gas contamination is typically water or other non-volatiles present, which naturally upsets the engine trying to burn it off.

As ochssk said, loose gas caps are another cause of CEL lights.

Where do you guys find 92 octane gas? You're not on the West Coast, are you? All I find here is 91.

Steve
    Steve - I hail from Ohio. We have 92 and occaisionally 93 Octane/

My father advises running what he affectionately terms "monkey pee" in any vehicle - WRX to Crown Vic - 87 Octane.
    I've offered to try to assist and we are willing to try to help - however, we've yet to receive call from you and you're counting down to a Lemon Law situation? Remember, in most States there must be repair attempts and the problem must impair the use, value or safety. What repairs have been done?

Has your dealer found a problem? You are referring to a "growing list" of folks with this concerns, yet our database (national) is not showing a "growing list" of this concern.

I understand how frustrating vehicle problems can be, but all we are asking is for the opportunity to try and remedy the situation. If you have a case with us and it is under another name, please call us and ask the Rep. to bring the case to my attention. I want to help - but postings here on Edmunds without a VIN or dealer information does not give me much to go on.

I don't understand why you will not take us up on an offer for assistance vs. filing suit?

Patti
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    Robert:
    I am one of the 4 or 5 that have reported on the H6 coolant loss. Your attitude is not helping at all. Ranting and threatening rarely gets anything accomplished; it just polarizes everyone. Please, sit down, take a deep breadth, and follow Patti's recommendations.

Patti:
    My VDC has 15k miles. It has lost 3 reservoir tanks over that time, but is not consistent. My dealer has leaked checked it twice with no problems. At this point, I am just watching it and plan to get back with the dealer for more action when it starts dropping again. I believe that they will work with me. My question to you is whether you want me to start a case file or wait. There is definitely something going on that is clearly not widespread, but is a concern to those with the problem.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yes - please, start a case with us. I'd really like to find out what is going on and get some attention on the concern.

I promise you that we will do everything that we can to get it addressed!

Patti
    Hey - thanks for having such a complete profile. Because you included your name and State, I was able to find your VIN and I started a case on your behalf. It may save you some time. We just need a few details. When you call, please refer to case number 413863.

Thanks!

Patti
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Hi Patti - Just wanted to say thanks again for your help in the past. Your response to Robert is exactly what sets you and Subaru apart from the other manufacturers... an honest willingness to get involved.

bit
    Thanks for the nice comment. It is a day brightener!

Patti
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The suspension noise may be a sway bar that needs lubrication. You should use lithium grease, because it's not oil-based and will not cause the rubber bushings to deteriorate.

Go over a bump, or turn hard, and the sway bar twists and slide in its track (which is basically two rubber bushings holding it in place). Sans grease, it'll squeek like nails on a chalk board.

So grease 'em up at every oil change.

Also could be a dirty spring base (hose it out every time you wash the car and spray some lithium grease there too).

Finally, it could be the wheel hub/bearing, which is a warranty issue that Subaru has covered in the past (for folks like lark6, for example).

If you get a CEL for gas, it's probably condensation (water) in the gas. The feds require that a CEL is triggered even for a single misfire. Try some Dry Gas, it worked for Kate.

-juice
    Whew, this took a while, so I hope someone appreciates the effort.

Here is my rear sway bar. I am tightening the bolt that secures the bushings on the passenger side. You can see the white grease around the rubber bushings in this photo - and you can notice that the sway bar moves about 1/2" to each side, for a total motion of about an inch. Sans grease, that rubber to metal contact WILL squeek!

-juice

PS Grease is the word!
    Bonus: in the same photo is the vaccum recovery canister. It basically stores the gas fumes. Pull any hose and a CEL will go off. The system is sealed and any loss of that seal (including a loose gas cap) will trigger the light.

So dealers will check those hoses if they detect a vacuum leak code.

-juice
  • gof4gof4 Member Posts: 22
    I second Bit's comments. You helped me with my brake problem on my LL Bean even before the dealers had a service bulletin.
    Subaru & you get "two thumbs up"

Thanks,
    Bob
    We really are committed to do what we can. I appreciate your sharing your experiences. Hopefully it will help others decide to give us a shot at fixing things.

Thanks again!

Patti
    Patti, like the lawyer said, "its incredible that Subaru hasn't done what they most certainly will be required to do"
    This has gone on far too long, no one is motivated to act-Subaru is and has been involved- and going with the Lemon Law is the fastest way to end this. But thank you for your offer to help.
    In about seven days this will all be just an unpleasant memory.
    The offer was there. From what I can find (at least under your name) - we have not been involved. I'm sure your attorney will review that requirement with you and we'll respond to him/her.

I'm sorry you did not want us to help you.

Patti
    It's a shame you never contacted the manufacturer. I guess that you'll probably have to deal with your dealer which is an independent portion. But like patti said, your lawyer will charge you lots of $ to tell you that.

-mike
  • jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Is there anyone else out who thinks this guy is making this story up?? I'm not saying the problems he's describing are impossible, but he won't call Subaru, they don't have his name on file anywhere, and he won't provide a VIN. He might as well call himself John Doe.

Robert-if you expect any of us to believe you at this point, the least you can do is give your VIN to Patti!! How hard is that?
    a more intelligent Troll than we are used to.

-mike
  • vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    juice,
    thanks for the picture. since your not using a torque wrench how much leverage are you using to tighten the bolt? great job on the cleanliness of your car. the bottom of your car is cleaner than the top of mine. I'll grease the sway bar on my OB this weekend.

I've been following Robert's posts and I also don't understand the reason for withholding a VIN from Patti. I'm kind of surprised Robert's attorney hasn't asked if SOA has been involved in trying to rectify the problem. I'm sure the arbitrators, or judge, depending on the jurisdiction, will certainly ask the question.

I can fully appreciate the frustration when a problem needs to be corrected because I've had my share of frustration with my OB but the people from SOA did prove themselves to be different from other auto companies.

Vince
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    As someone who has worked on the factory side and also worked directly with dealers from the factory, I have a point that most consumers don't understand well. Factories are forced by US law to allow their dealers enormous latitude in how they run their dealerships. If a dealer is not interested in helping an owner with their problem they can and often do tell that owner to go pound sand. Why? Because their time is better spent selling a car to someone new than trying to fix one they've already sold, and by and large they sell everything they get - no shortage of buyers out there in recent years.

The factories have different incentives shaping their behavior that are more in line with the owner. To them, customer satisfaction is the #1 goal to keep you in the brand. But by law they must work through the dealers to resolve issues and technical issues to make this happen. If they had their way, dealers would be abolished and their cars would be sold by factory owned stores so they could control the quality of your ownership experience. Unfortunately they can't. This is the #1 frustration they have with the system of independent dealers in the US and consumers also get the brunt of it from time to time.

The moral of the story is that if you have a technical issue with a vehicle - call the manufacturer. The dealer may or may not give a rip but they'll all ACT like they do for a time. Go to the manufacturer and you'll be talking with folks who want to help you - not make more money off your situation. In life, once two people on different sides of a situation have their motivations aligned (Ex: manufacturer and owner) then good things happen.

I could go on for pages, but thought this might shed some light on things from a 30,000 foot perspective.

IdahoDoug
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Doesn't smell like a troll. More like what the English prosaically describe as a "plonker". This conveys nicely the impression of someone too silly to realize how stupid they sound.

If a poster to these pages is genuinely suffering from some defect to their vehicle, a refusal to assist the manufacturer by identifying themself and the alleged defective product (VIN Number), implies some less worthy motive. I wonder what it is?

Cheers

Graham
  • WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    I can't personally vouch for Robert, but I can say that my VDC's coolant level is definitely low (i.e., well below the add level) after 13,600 miles. I bought the car in April 2001 from Fitzgerald's and I am taking it in for service next Tuesday. I don't know what to make of this "problem." Like I said in a previous post, I'll have the dealer refill the reservoir and check out the system. My question is this: Where is the coolant going? Any theories?

Bill
    Sure wish I knew what a 'troll' is, am reasoanbly certain however that it is not a term of endearment.
    I am a real person, who has owned five new Outbacks and who has a very real problem with Subaru's most expensive vehicle. The car has now been in the shop-third time, eight business days and all that has been done is a pressure test, which it passed of course. Subaru 'suggested' that we pick up the car, we 'suggested' they find the reason for the coolant loss and the reason for antifreeze being in the oil, the vehcile remains and will remain at the dealer until something definitive comes from Fuji Heavy.

Patti, fortunately the State in which we reside views any action performed by a dealer who is acting upon a stated problem to be a repair or an attempt at repair. For instance when the dealer added coolant many months ago and sent us on our way it is considered to be a repair (they had a report of glycol in the oil). Even your Company would not (???) dispute the changing of a part as a repair so trip number two should be moot-even for Subaru. So far trip three has only resulted in a pressure test being done, good for us-action by dealer for stated problem, bad for you; it added to the Lemon Law tally. Keep in mind that two additional lab reports indicated continuing glycol contamination.
    And thank you for your offer, I selected not to respond for privacy reasons and no other, the Company is involved.

Subaru and only Subaru has made the choice that this shall go to arbitration.

Many of you seem to blame dealers for unresolved problems. Think we are frustrated you should see our service guy, like he says, he is getting paid to be aggrevated we are paying to be aggrevated-I like that. We have purchased from three different organizations and all have been very good,sales and service. The problem boy and girls is that Subaru pays a very small portion of a service order in warranty relative to what would be charged for the same action out of warranty. Think about this next time you are hammering the sales department for the 'hold back'-and no I am not in this business but am a tech service and support person. Do I expect the dealer to tear down the engine on their own, no, they, as the 'Team' have their marching orders from Cherry Hill and have no choice but to act in lock step. Every service dept would opt to have a satisfied customer, but in some situations they are prohibited from attaining this goal.

In defense of Subaru, this automobile is a very complex product, the engineers, plant support people and customer service all would also opt to be able to have 100% satisfied customers. In fact since '99 in Massachusetts, the first State to send me records of all complaints , Subaru has only 12 Lemon Law actions, to me this is incredible and I fully expect that the same profile will be revealed by the other States I have contacted.
    They have done a fantastic job in the past, just not in this particular instance.

Doubt my credibility if you must, I suppose one must have this mindset on the web, but please remember there are a number of others with the same problem.

H6 owners heed this advice well, it is what has assured us of a successful action;
    Get your oil tested for contamination.

Now Mike, this has been a rant and rave.

Good bye and good luck.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    What's the problem with calling Subaru and starting a case, as Patti asked you to do (very nicely I might add)?

-Brian
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    That was a rather nice post. But I still do not understand your unwillingness to contact Subaru directly when they (Patti) have offered to get your problem on record. What is the privacy issue regarding contacting Subaru via their 800 number and making a claim on record? I honestly don't understand and you have not made yourself clear what your issue with contacting Subaru Customer Service. If nothing else it benefits all Subaru owners who may have your same coolant loss problem by having a case tracked. I just don't get it. Ambiguous terms like "privacy" really do not make sense. True, you would imagine that the dealer has contacted Subaru themselves. But when a Customer Service representative asks you directly to contact them and you don't you only allow yourself to seem suspect. You have definitely made an effort to post your dissatisfaction in a number of forums here on Edmunds. You often state "Subaru" has done this or that but it seems you are referring to the dealer and not the company. Are you refusing to contact Subaru (the company) directly because you believe your dealer is doing that for you? If there ever was a company that made an effort to help get involved it would be Subaru yet you repeatedly avoid that option.

bit