Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    jnm: any coolant mixed with the oil? Or vice-versa? That's what would give me concerns.

-juice
  • jnmjnm Posts: 3
    Sorry for my bad english, Ken

I would explain: First, with the break-in oil, this engine consumes 1 litre in my first 1500Km, I not filled any oil and I go to the dealer and him was changed the oil saying that "this break-in oil are more thin for my country"

The dealer use the Subaru recomended oil in my country: CEPSA MegaSyntetic 5W40

I think if in normal driving (3.000 rpm) this engine consumes 1 litre every 4.000 Km, then in racing driving (5.000 rpm) this engine can consume more oil than petrol !

Do you know if all the 2004-Outback's 2.5i (H-4) consumes oil ? I found some references by this issue :

http://www.apro.org/04_Outback_2_5_engine_Oil_problem-2005925-378- -a.html

--------------------------------------------------

THEY SAYS: I've spoken to Subaru here is Australia and to my surprise they have replaced multiple engines under warranty because of this issue. The pamphlet I spoke of, in the first line actually says:

"Refinement of modern engines can lead people into a false sense of security that fluid levels, particularly oil, do not need checking. In fact they do."

--------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this is a fake but I made 800.000 Km with some cars and I never own a new car with this oil consomation, this is normal in a 300.000Km car. They are Subarus the worse cars in the world?

jnm
  • jnmjnm Posts: 3
    Hi -juice,

I check the coolant and it not seems mixed with the oil, the coolant level is OK.

I see too in a subaru forum a head gasket problem in some 2004 outback 2.5i. I thing that my outback hasn't this problem, but I chek that in the dealer house

jnm
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that Subaru used break-in oil in Australia. We've asked repeated times here in the US and are told that the cars come with regular oil from the factory.

With regards to the oil consumption, I don't know what else I can add. How did you break in your car? Sometimes not following the recommended break-in procedure can result in poor piston ring seating leading to exessive blow-by.

Also, some oil consumption is not necessarily a symptom of a bigger underlying problem. All engines consume some amount of oil normally. As long as you are not fouling PVC lines and have full compression, you probably are okay.

Ken
  • stantontstantont Posts: 148
    Hey, Craig and/or some of you more-experienced Subie owners: my new (to me) Legacy wagon needs new brake pads, F and R. Is there anything unusual I should be aware of? I presume I just retract the piston by forcing it back into the caliper, remove a screw or two to let the caliper swing out to one side, and replace pads using the proper cushions or backing plates in the kit, then swing the caliper back into place and re-install screws or pins or whatever.

Any quirks or unusual requirements? Thanks!

Stanton
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I've never tried it myself, but it is apparently straightforward.

I can't post a link, but a website by the name of Scoobymods has lots of illustrations.

Ken
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    Pad replacement is as you described - very simple.

DaveM
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I haven't done a brake job on a Subaru yet, but I agree with Dave, it is fairly routine from what I hear.

Craig
    Thanks, all! I'll do the pads tomorrow.

BTW, I put the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's on yesterday, and transformed the car. Of course, what was on the car before would not be hard to beat: original RE92's on the back (at 57,000 miles!), and a new-ish pair of cheap junkers on the front. Those tires growled like mud tires. The LS-H's are dead silent - sort of like a new Camry or Lexus, but with Subie's precise steering and quick cornering response. The ride is also very good. I haven't had any rain here yet (central Texas), but based on the wet performance of the LS's under my Accord, I expect to be awestruck.

The LS's have a bit more rolling resistance than some; on the Accord I lost about 2 mpg with them until I bumped the tire pressure about 5 psi above the stock 30 psi, then returned to normal mileage. I'm running the new LS's at 36 front, 34 rear on the Legacy (4 psi above standard). We'll see how mileage goes.
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    I've done it and it is very straight forward. Check the website Kens mentioned for a very thorough description.

If you decide to bleed the brakes, Subaru's recommended sequence is FR > RL > FL > RR. A bit different from what I'm used to doing but easy to do as well.

Jim
    Thanks. I had planned to "replace the brake fluid" as per the maintenance chart. I'll have to do it in the sequence you list.

Stanton
    Does anyone know if the center differential on the '02 Legacy wagon with 4cyl engine and MT5 is open or limited-slip?

Stanton
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Stanton,

I believe the full answer is:

Front = open on all

Rear = limited slip on all '02 Outbacks, open on Legacy L, optional (?) limited slip on GT (?)

Center = limited slip on all, but engagement is different depending on the tranny (mechanical on MT, electronic on AT)

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The viscous coupling acts as your center diffy.

It is limited-slip. A change in axle speeds will heat up and sheer the fluid inside the coupling, locking the two axles together temporarily.

-juice
    I'd like to upgrade the stereo sound on my '02 Legacy L wagon, with 4-speaker stereo and single-CD player. Would you recommend upgrading the speakers first, or doing the subwoofer first, in terms of biggest improvement for the dollar? I should specify that ultra-high frequencies don't matter much; I have high-frequency hearing loss and use hearing aids (though my wife doesn't). The subwoofer seems to be about $180 and the speakers (either Kenwood or Pioneer, from Crutchfield) are about $50 each.

Also, thanks to those advising about the brake pad change; like many things on the Subie, it was really easy. Surprisingly, the rear pads were nearly down to the scrapers, but fronts were only halfway worn.

Stanton
  • I have a '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. Had the first systems of pulsating on downhills. Now at 10k the cruise control stays set for approx. 10 minutes and then disengages. Took it to the dealer but no solution as of yet.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    Surprisingly, the rear pads were nearly down to the scrapers, but fronts were only halfway worn.

I've encountered the same on my 3 previous Subarus.

DaveM
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Surprisingly, the rear pads were nearly down to the scrapers, but fronts were only halfway worn.

Me too (or is it "Me three").

Jim
  • 98 lob98 lob Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've got a 98 Legacy Outback and have a fairly significant hesitation at slow speeds and slight throttle application. Tooling around a parking lot is the prime example. I've not done anything yet (such as spark plugs, air filter) and am running regular unleaded. Any ideas?

D
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    I would highly recommend having the fuel injectors cleaned. Costs about $89. Also, depending on the mileage, plugs, fuel and air filters. Rob M.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    >>I'd like to upgrade the stereo sound on my '02 Legacy L wagon, with 4-speaker stereo and single-CD player. Would you recommend upgrading the speakers first, or doing the subwoofer first, in terms of biggest improvement for the dollar?<<

There's a lengthy thread on ultimatesubaru.net on changing speakers. As suggested there, I bought Infinity Kappas. Crutchfield doesn't seem to know anything about Subarus and was 30% more than I paid elsewhere.

I wanted CD and Cassette, and wound up buying a new Outback AM/FM/Cassette/CD/weatherband unit on eBay for $159.
  • rumc3rumc3 Posts: 31
    I put Bridgestone LSH's on my '97 GT Wagon a few years ago (after talking with Tire Rack...the guy recommended them), and they still are great tires today. Stick like glue on rainy, twisty roads at speed. Never felt more secure in any of the cars I've owned and I've been driving since the early 60's. Didn't notice any deterioration in gas mileage....still around 24mpg overall, with auto trans.

The Sube now has 91K, and am thinking about getting a new one, although this car still runs great. I test drove the '05 GT Limited Wagon with auto. and WOW! I can't believe how fast it is. Only disadvantage I can see is that you need Premium gas for the twin turbo. About the same gas mileage rating as my '97.
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    It's a single turbo, not twin.

As for the Premium gas, if your willing to pay the price premium for the Turbo, the gas is not that big of a deal. I figure it's costing me an extra $300 per year or so. I look at it as my amusement tax, well worth the price! :)

Sly
  • rumc3rumc3 Posts: 31
    Hmmm. I thought I'd read somewhere it was twin turbo....

Good point you make about the "amusement" charge... After driving the '05, I can appreciate that!
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    Definitely single, and actually my memory was failing me, it's actually more like $150 per year. Pretty small price to pay for the fun factor.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    That is very cheap for the added thrills! I honestly think I have more fun in my OB XT than I did in my WRX. The larger 2.5 motor is a lot more fun around town (at legal speeds).

Craig
  • joelogjoelog Posts: 11
    Hi Stanton. I recently upgraded my speakers on a 2004 Outback wagon. I got the Infinity reference. Definately an improvement, however I decided to also get the subwoofer/amplifier which I think is worth the upgrade. However I got the one made by subaru from subaruparts.com since it seemed to fit the car the best, anyway it makes a big difference to me. Crutchfield had a sale on the speakers at the time and they do have installation instructions and wire harness for the subaru at least for the speakers.

Joe
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,455
    wound up buying a new Outback AM/FM/Cassette/CD/weatherband unit on eBay for $159.

Garandman,

Does this unit have MP3 compatilibility on the CD player?
  • casd2casd2 Posts: 1
    My 2001 OBW makes a really bad thumping sound when I turn left and right. The mechanic is telling me I need a new transmission. Anyone else have this problem? I only have 69,000 on the car it seems a bit too soon for a new transmission.
  • This morning I had a scare on the parkway with my 05 OB Limited with 5,000 miles. In stop and go traffic, I had to brake hard at one point and the brakes seemed to think about it before slowing down and ABS kicking in. I've experienced this before on the highway... the feeling that the brakes just weren't working as hard as they should... but this time was the worst... just not confidence inspiring at all.

Does any one else here feel the 05 brakes are too weak? I should email Subaru.

Another thing... is it normal for the tranny to act funny for the first few blocks on a cold morning (jerky shifting)?