Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• glenfordglenford Posts: 138
    I did send a package to Subaru as Patti suggested. While I think it isn't appropriate to discuss the suggested resolution, I was favorably impressed with Subaru's speed in responding and with Lana's professionalism. Worth remembering to try the parent company if you have issues. Tim
  • psgpsg Posts: 72
    White Petrolatum works (Vaseline). Most recently I covered the battery post with the same antiseize I use on my sparkplug threads.
    No air = no corrosion.

Phil
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Won't vaseline melt away with heat?

-juice
  • amsbearamsbear Posts: 147
    should be used to prevent corrosion on the battery posts. Use it also on both ends of your spark plug wires.

Alan
    98 OBW Ltd
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    Just stopped by the dealer that is replacing 2 of my pistons due to my piston slap noise .
    There was definnent were on both of the pistons .
    Looked like somebody took 20 grit sand paper and rubbed the side of the pistons were the wrist pins are . The service tech said that the cylinder walls looked ok due to the fact that they have iron inserts . They still had the hone marks on them .Every thing else looked good.The tech said that the new piston is more barrel shaped then the old ones . They pistons were replaced at the wrist pin so they didn't have to do anything to the crank shaft or the barrings.
    I should get it back soon and I let ya know how it sounds .
    The tech also said that he has heard of no complaints with the piston replacement . He has heard of the slap coming back when the short block is replaced .

Mike k
    You have a cool little novelty for your desk.

-juice
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    file with her. I'm glad you are happy and I continue to be sorry about the "challenges" you faced. Thanks for posting a positive for us! It goes a long way to encourage us!

Patti
    by sending it to me, I could show it around and see what kind of reaction I get. Let me know?

Patti
    unfortunately, because of my "official" role, I can't get answers to your questions about how to swap around parts - even something as simple sounding as mirrors. Our lawyers would have my head!

Unofficially, if I hear of something for you, I'll try to direct someone to contact you via these boards. I know that sounds cryptic, but, it's the best I can do right now?

Sorry -

Patti
    How 'bout the local junk yard.

Few Subies there. I know. ;-)

Actually, there is one place that specializes in buying wrecked Subies, check it out:

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

E-mail them, they may know which mirrors are interchangeable.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Mike, (mrk610)

What part number did they use for your new pistons? just curious if we got the same? did they do a timing belt for you too?

I had pistons 2 and 4 replaced 2 weeks ago or was it 3? Gas milage has been better, piston noise is less but its also warmer temps outside.

--jay
  • nathhnathh Posts: 1
    I suppose I'm just another one of the thousands who is stuck with replacing a head gasket well before it should be due. I have just 85K on my car but now need $1300 in repairs.
    Is $1300 reasonable for a dealership to fix the head gasket? how many of you with this car and engine ('97 2.5L) have had this problem? I think we should write a letter to subaru
  • On my 2003 Legacy I was experiencing "rapping" sound when under load with a cold engine. Having just traded in a 2000 Legacy that did not make such sounds, I was insistent that the noise was not normal.
    The dealer replaced two pistons and that seems to have solved the problem. No more "rapping".

My gas mileage has not improved, and may have been reduced. I'm getting 19 MPG in suburban driving, 25 on the highway with my 2003 Legacy wagon 4eat.
    The Legacy I traded in (2000 Legacy Sedan 5 spd) performed much better with 22 MPG in town and 31 MPG on the highway. The EPA rated the Auto trans equipped Legacy higher than the 5 speed manual version, but my experience shows the opposite.

Jim
    That's the case in general, the MTs are more fuel efficient than the ATs for any given model, despite what the EPA claims.

I do think your engine is still green, give it a few thousand miles to break in.

-juice
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and open up a case number. It's long past the warranty but they still might help. Be polite and mention these forums.

-juice
  • Hi All,
    An intermittent noise that seems to be getting worse on my '02 LL Bean: When reversing (especially when car is cold, but sometimes when warm) I get a vibrating (sounds like a brake dust or a heat shield vibrating). Coming from right front, but only in reverse. They just replaced front pads at 22k, and sound didn't go away. No other problems. Any ideas???
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Does the car have to be rolling to make the noise, or can you hear it when stopped? Is the vibration at engine speed, does it change with RPM?

Craig
  • psgpsg Posts: 72
    Maintaining and Charging Lead-Acid Batteries by Trojan Battery Company. [87K]

http://www.nordictug.com/downloads/TrojanBC.pdf
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Phil, thanks for a great reference article.

Jim
  • Craig,
    Good question - it only makes the sound when moving backwards. Comes from right front and seems to change in frequency as engine rpms and speed increase (may also be affected by turning the wheel, as is often the case when backing out of a space). I'll have to do some testing to see what the sound is for rpm, turning, and moving straight back indpendent of each other and report back.
    thanks,
    Matt