Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    While Craig makes a good point about the quality of Subaru wheels (holding up much better that the younger wheels from my Honda Odyssey), I think I have the Tire Rack wheels you sited. I got a snow tire package from them in 2002 with the Sports Edition Fox-5 ($105 each). They look very similar to Subi WRX with 5 'double spokes'. They are a TR 'house brand' made by FOMB in Italy. Silver paint over alloy. They seem to be decent for the price, and are holding up well nearing the end of their second NY winter. Spec wise, their offset is 5mm off from factory, probably not enough to do much harm (I hope...).

Steve
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    Mike, my 96 Outback had rotors at 20k and 60k on the front and 44k on the back.

What dealer in NH gives a loaner?
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    A masking trick a friend has had some success with - use Vaseline to coat that which you don't want painted. After the paint's dry, wipe awawy the Vaseline. Still kind of tedious, but his turned out nicely.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    also acts as a good mask.

Bob
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    I do have an auto transmission so I guess that 45k is fairly common for the brakes. Yes, I had the vibrating when slowing down from highway as well as back-road speeds.

Robert, Exeter Subaru in NH gives you a loaner car if you purchase the car from them. I commute from the Seacoast to Nashua, NH so it is very convenient for my 60 mile commute.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    OK, I think your car is fine then. At least regarding the brakes, that's normal wear and tear (and warped rotors are a known occurence with Outbacks, but not a major issue).

The part about the security system is odd. If it ends up costing you out of pocket to fix, I probably would just ask them to unplug the security system unless you really feel you need it. If they unplug the security system, you should still have keyless entry. Something to keep in mind if the cost of repair seems excessive.

Craig
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Michael,

Were the rotors warped? If so, see if Subaru will replace them under warranty. Quite a few people have had this problem (myself included). As for 45K befroe needing brakes- that's good in my opinion. I had mine done (front & rear) at 30K.

Mark
    I do have the extended warranty and hopefully the rotors will be covered. The front were warped.

I don't see why the security system is not covered if they actually installed it at 19,000 miles? I don't need it where I live, but I travel quite a bit; especially to Boston and NY and park at airports so I would really like to keep it.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That it is covered for 12/12,000 even if it is a subaru one.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You have to install accessories within the first 1k miles to have your factory warranty cover them.

That's the technical answer. I would call 800-SUBARU3 and ask for a little help. A Subaru Gold warranty customer should expect to be treated well, at least ask how they can help.

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    If I recall, Subaru helped me with the first 2 instances where the rotors needed to be replaced on the 96 - front at 20k and rear at 44k. I was on my own with the fronts at 60k.

My commute is similar to yours, I work in Exeter and live in MA. I'll have to check them out when I buy my new GT. I like the idea of a free loaner.
  • fitzy2fitzy2 Posts: 11
    Just got my 2002 LL Bean and as I am very concerned about proper maintenance I changed the oil today.......like to do as much as possible myself.....when I started the car after the oil change there was a strange noise from ubderneath the car, almost like a rattle or vibration...lasted only a moment......it was still on the car ramps.......I put it down to the new oil getting going but I never had it happen with any car in the past....has anyone had this?????? thanks much....Irish.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    Might have taken that moment for the oil to get up to pressure, thru the filter, etc. I'm guessing the noise went away concurrent with that happening.
    Suggestion: If your oil filter screws on straight up-and-down (vertically), try filling it with fresh oil before installing it. Might get oil circulating that much quicker.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • jlemolejlemole Posts: 345
    Yeah, ditto Paul. Especially on ramps, the engine will tap a little before the oil is up to pressure. Priming the filter should put an end to it. Nothing to worry about, though.

JonL
    I have been changing the oil on my Bean since new. It made that noise for the first time on the last oil change, at 37500 miles. So, I know the sound -- and it's the noise crank bearings make before they get oiled up. Nothing to worry about as long as the noise goes away in 1-2 sec.

Craig
    I got my 2001 Outback back yesterday after they had it for two days. They "fixed" the auto door-lock and alarm system, repaired the rotors and installed new rear brakes. The total bill: $732. I was shocked to say the least. I picked it up on a Sat so no one in service was available.

I had Subaru install the alarm system and that was $272 to fix it. Well, less than 24 hours later, I can unlock..but not LOCK the doors with the indoor auto locking switch.

Looking at their rates..it was almost 10 hours to repair the car. The sales guy on Saturday hinted that they are short-staffed at this point. Happy that I am paying extra for that.
    That is totally ridiculous, I hope you can get that bill reduced.

Craig
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Hey Juice- I'm just curious as to why Subaru isn't selling the regular Legacy L models for 2004. According to SOA's website and this one the cheapest Legacy models that are being sold right now are the L 35th Anniversary editions. The reason I'm commenting on this is because my father is interested in a Legacy wagon, but he doesn't want a sunroof, fog lights, alloys and those other frills. And no-frills L models of any year are tough to find from our experience.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, I'd say wait.

The 2005 models will offer a 2.5i (base) model with no moonroof. I think it will have alloys, but why not reduce unsprung weight? It's less mass for the suspension to fight with.

fitzy2: next time, see if you can find an incline and then aim the car down, then drive up the ramps. That leaves it about level while you're going the work. That may or may not help the oil circulate faster, but it's worth a shot.

Also, try pre-filling the new oil filter before you install it. Folks here gave me that hint.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    One of my favorite topics - if you want to see just how long it takes the oil to start to run through a new filter - fill it once, let it set for a couple of minutes - can't find the oil? Its all in the element. I usually add oil a few times, such that it's about 1/2 to 3/4 full when I put it on the engine.

I'm afraid I had "prime the filter" so thoroughly drummed into me when I was a kid, I'll always believe its the best way to go.

Here's an observation that makes no sense - Purolator OEM's the Subaru filters, -but- at least for the filter's I'm using now the Purolators thread on easier. Strange.

Larry