Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    I cannot help directly with your questions, but the cat efficiency code pops any time the measured ratio of oxygen between the front sensor (pre-cat) and the rear sensor (post-cat) is not great enough. In my mind, that means either there really is not enough oxygen being combusted in the cat or the measurements taken by the sensors are not accurate. I had the cat efficiency code for 50,000 miles (from about 170,000 miles to 220,000). I had two emissions tests (2004 and 2006) after the first code appeared and the tailpipe readings both those times were better than they had been during 2002's bi-annual test. Considering that, I think my cat was working fine.

There was a problem, mind you, but it was not the cat. I planned on hunting it down last summer, but fate had other plans for the car. :cry:
  • obfanobfan Posts: 1
    If the cat efficiency code is a function of the difference between the readings of the front and rear O2 sensors, and the sensor(s) are not accurate but the cat is working properly, might it help to try switching the two sensors (front to rear and rear to front)?

- just a thought :)
  • bufwxguybufwxguy Posts: 10
    LOL! I thought maybe effective to 100,001 miles! The leak was bad enough that I had to fill the coolant reservoir jug every 2 to 3 days prior to the additive. Seemed to leak worse when engine went through a greater thermal range, such as after a cold start on a 0F morning through warm up phase. No previous problems with the cooling system, did the regular 30K and 60K flushes, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks.
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    It's good that you are keeping a close eye on the coolant level, be sure to carry premixed coolant in the trunk.

Next check the temp gauge often while driving, if you get low on coolant, you don't want to overheat the engine.

Assume that at somepoint, you will need to replace the headgasket.

Even with the additive, my HG went at 120k miles. It's now over 170k and has been problem free since the HG change. Remember, a headgasket is less expensive than a new car.
  • dave1620dave1620 Posts: 10
    Hello--The vehicle is a 2001 Legacy GT wagon automatic. For the past 6 or so months, the CEL will come on for a week or so and then will go off. This has happened 6 or 7 times. I want to read the codes before I take the car in for the 60k service. Current milage is 62k. What kind of reader do I need? And will that reader work on an '05 Chevy truck?

If the CAT needs to be replaced under warrenty, does it have to go to the dealer or can the work be done by an independent shop? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer if I don't have to.

Thanx---------Dave.......
    You will need an OBD-II reader that is CAN compliant. Most manufacturers moved to CAN between '03 and '04, if I recall correctly.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,838
    You have the 2.5 engine? Then you have bad head gaskets. There is an improved head gasket to correct this common problem.

Yes, it's the 2.5. I've been under the car while engine was idling watching it drip from the head gasket on the rear drivers side of the engine so it's definitely the head gasket. Good to know the replacement gasket will correct it, thanks.
    I really like Subarus, had various models since 1981 (started with a used BRAT), so I definitely want to keep it going and yes, the HG repair is much cheaper than a new car given prices these days. Other than this and the cold clutch shudder (new clutch at 29K via warranty), my Outback wagon has been problem free. Subaru and local dealer has been good about the clutch and the head gasket coolant service, no hassles and no charge. It's a great, economical AWD that can easily tackle western New York winters. I'll watch that temp gauge like a hawk and keep premixed at the ready, thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If the CAT needs to be replaced under warrenty, does it have to go to the dealer or can the work be done by an independent shop? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer if I don't have to.

It only needs to go to the dealer if you want Subaru to pay for it. Otherwise you can bring it anywhere you want if you are paying :) hee hee.

-mike
    Yep, my friend who owns a Subaru repair shop assures me that the new gasket corrects the problem.

• nerdnerd Posts: 203
    I have an '06 Legacy Outback 2.5i. A decal on the left side of the instrument panel says that car is equipped with an interior ventilation filter. The filter is mentioned in the Owner's Manual, but there are no instructions about how to change it. The manual doesn't even say where it is.

I would appreciate any help regarding the location of this filter and the procedure for changing it.

The filter housing in my wife's BMW is in plain sight in the engine compartment. Takes all of five minutes to change without tools. I guess Subaru wants their customers to be more highly challenged.
    Just bought a SUPER CAT Universal OBD2 scanner/reader on e-bay. Hope it works.....
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    haven't needed to do it on my 08 Outback yet ,unfortunately its a PITA to change, looks easier than a Tribeca change which is still a zillion times easier than 02 WRXs!
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/airfiltration.html
    When did Subaru change the head gaskets on the 2.5L non-turbo engine to eliminate coolant leaks? I have an '06 Outback that was built in early 2006. Should I expect to have coolant leaks eventually? Does Subaru extend the warranty for engines that have had the gaskets replaced?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I bought an Actron ODBII scanner, and FWIW it worked on my 98 Forester, my wife's 02 Legacy, and on a friend's Suburban (older, 2 generations back).
    They revised the gasket material as a running change for 2002 models built in Japan and I think it was 2003 for those made in Indiana.

Your 2006 should have the new material.
    That's good news. Thanks for taking time to respond to my question.
    You're welcome.

If you check the detailed reliability scores in Consumer Reports, you'll notice a dramatic improvement from 2002 to 2004. By '04 all models were better than average. There were some black dots in 01 and 02.
    Yep, as long as there is no warping of the head it should be good. I am still thrilled that I did not replace my head gaskets until 192,000. Granted, they were giving me problems for 10-15,000 miles, but even that is fantastic compared to the problems people frequently saw at well under 100,000 miles.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Any OBD2 scanner should work on any vehicle 1996 or later. Its a federalized requirement, they all have the same plug with in 15" of the steering wheel.

Some vehicles have OEM specific codes that aren't part of the federally required message set. Not all scanners will read these codes. Sometimes there are software upgrades or modules you can connect to pull these codes out of vehicles.
  • jozsijozsi Posts: 2
    I had my 2001 subaru outback vdc in for service at my local subaru dealer yesterday. The tires were rotated and I began hearing a thumping noise this morning. I checked the tires and the lugs on the left front tire could be tightened by hand, so i tightened them with my tire iron and went to a tire place. They told me all my tires needed tightening which they did, but they told me to take the car back to the dealer and have the lugs checked out. I am a woman driver and need to know what to look for to make sure no damage was done Should I take pictures when the tires are off? I have always had this car serviced routinely at this dealer. Would you switch dealers over this? Thank you for any comments.
    Well it means a few things:

1) They don't have techs who are too swift

2) More importantly, they don't road test your car after touching it. This shows a lack of attention to detail.

You should have the studs and lugs checked at the dealer or somewhere, if you drove it with the loose nuts, you could have buggered up the threads on the studs.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • jozsijozsi Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. The dealer told me to bring it back, but should I get it in writing that there is no damage. This is my first subaru and I have had no problems in 7 years. Should I ask to see the studs and would I be able to tell if they are messed up by looking at them?
    On the rusty stud at the top you can see how the grooves are not "sharp" and one or two are actually crooked. If your studs were damaged, these grooves would look even worse, like they were flattened by a hammer.

The lower stud shows you how the grooves should be clean and knife-sharp.

...and the code is P0328 - knock sensor 1. :confuse: There are no other codes. The CEL has been coming on for a while and then going off for a while. What would cause this CEL and code? The car is due for a 60k service.

2001 Legacy GT wagon 2.5

Thanx---------Dave.......
  • I am picking up a 1998 Legacy Outback from a private seller in CT. It has a blown engine which I have found a replacement for and need to tow it home for repairs. I have heard that I can tow it in the 2 wheel down position, if, and only if I disconnect the driveshaft. I have no experience with this...Can this be accomplished relatively painlessly? Would anyone be able to explain the process?
    Sincerely....Troy
    If it's a manual transmission 1998 model, you can just tow it. If it's an automatic, you cannot tow it under any circumstances without installing a pump for the transmission or some kind of "axle-free" devices front and rear.

http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcaretips/index.jsp?pageid=towing&navid=TOWING_A_- SUBARU

• Does anyone know if you can purchase complete new or rebuilt strut/spring assemblies for ease of replacement as opposed to each individual part?
    You mean pre-assembled? Not that I know of. If you go with coil-overs you can get a single unit, but they are $1500+ It's actually not a difficult job. We've replaced 200-300 sets of struts/springs in the impreza w/o compressors and w/o air tools. Our record is 27 min. :)

-mike