Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• I have 2000 and I'm well familiar with the flashing A/T light.
    It means the TCU registered an error. The dealer is wrong, the code is stored in the TCU memory and can be retrieved by their select scanner. You can also retrieve it yourself by using the low-tech "subaru TCU secret handshake procedure" (google for this exact phrase). Hope its s simple sensor issue (I had a problems with TPS).

BTW, why and when (milage) you replaced a tranny. I use my car for some towing and thus I baby the AT: synth ATF every 30000, ATF cooler, ATF temp gauge. So far so good, I've heard about some ATs failing in 2000 subarus.
  • I bet you have the dreaded HG failure.
    The problem is that the symptoms in the HG failure in 97-99 subarus are atypical and get misdiagnosed a lot by people not used to subarus. Go to a place that specializes in subarus.
  • kendrithkendrith Posts: 1
    1. I've just been told my head gaskets need replacing on my 2001 Subaru Outback. It has 92,000 km on it. The cost will be approximately $1500(CDN). I don't know much about cars and so I am wondering if this is a common problem and an issue with the car in so far that Subaru should be helping to pay for this.
    2. I've replaced two clutches on the vehicle. The first was paid for by Subaru. The second they paid 1/2 - $750. I feel it is still not good in that at low speeds it does not handle well - I have to "ride" the clutch so it doesn't stall.

Any comments on either issue?

Thank you. K
  • I fixed it. This is a follow up for thomps13 or anyone else with the same problem.
    I did 2 things at the same time, so not sure what was the fix:
    1. disconnected, cleaned with acetone, greased with dialectric grease and reconnected 3 main connectors in the engine bay.
    2. readjusted the TPS sensor again by loosening the screws and rotating slightly while observing the voltage with ignition on. Now, its within specs. The trick was to turn ignition off and on a few times to get rid of the buzzing sound. It you play with TPS, you will know what sound I'm talking about.
  • Here in US, the 2000-2003? subarus have extended warranty on this (8 years/100000 miles) as it's a known problem. Did you do the coolant additive recall? This is the only condition of the extended warranty. Talk to your dealer.
  • This is the lock. It is kind of hard to see, but from this angle it is about two inches wide, but if you turn it on it's side it a little over an inch wide.

STL - Snug Tite Lock
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Hopefully the 2003 isn't included as I haven't received any recalls about a coolant additive. I think I read elsewhere that this only covered the 2000-2002 models.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I see, that looks like it would fit on mine, I think.

I have the OE hitch for the '98 Forester, so it's 1.25" square and has a flat plate welded to the bottom of it with hooks there so you can chain your trailer just in case the tow ball fails.

Let me try to find a good picture...side and back views.

Clearance is a bit tight. Looks like I have at most 2" top to bottom. Does yours look like that?

-juice
  • goosegoggoosegog Posts: 206
    My 2000 OB has just over 60,000 km. I was notified about the coolant additive and have been using it. The extended warranty on head gaskets DOES NOT apply in Canada so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

I'm on my second clutch. Replaced at 57,000 earlier this year because of slippage.

I also had to replace the upstream O2 sensor and the knock sensor to get rid of codes which lit the CE light.
  • No. Mine doesn't look like that. I wish it did. I will have to take a picture of it so that you can see what I mean. Mine has a plate on the bottom similar to yours, but wider. Then, it has another shorter plate on the top of the receiver that curves down on either side in an arc. If it just went straight out, then it would probably be fine. Because it hangs over the sides, it partially blocks access to the sides of the receiver where the hole for the pin is located. I'll try to get a picture of it so that its clearer.
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Posts: 25
    To ensure long clutch life, it is important to keep the clutch properly adjusted. Two of our Subaru's (95 Impreza and 98 Legacy) have manual transmissions; the Impreza had its clutch replaced at 110,000 miles and the Legacy at 140,000 miles. I've noticed for both of them that the clutch fork adjustment needs to be checked frequently. It is easy to check, even if you are not mechanically inclined. If the clutch fork does not have the clearance it needs, the clutch may be dragging constantly and it's life will be drastically shortened.
  • Here's a couple shots of my hitch...

Subaru OEM Hitch

Subaru OEM Hitch

The second shot shows the Thule Lock attached to the threaded pin.

By the way - what do you use to display your images?
    Wow, that is very different. I doubt it's even the same manufacturer.

I guess you could apply heat and bend that bracket back a bit. Too bad it doesn't flare upward.

As a Community Host I am helping Edmunds test a few features, but I think they ended up adopting other ideas.

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    The Subi hitch on my '02 OBW is structured much like the one on Juice's.

I have a Yakima rack, and the lock cylinder is considerably narrower. You might want to see if it is thread compatible with the nut in the bikerack tube. A $20 expense, but less grief than changing the hitch. Other longshot - consider 'trimming' the overhanging tab on the hitch.

Steve
  • Yes, that would have been a brilliant design - to have it bend upward. I wish that you worked for Subaru. This design severely limits the use of the hitch.

Well, it would be nice if there was a simpler method of adding images. Something that would take larger images, create a thumbnail size image, and set up the html to display it. I'm just lazy - LOL.
    I use ImageStation some times, but you have to be registered to see the pics.

I've also heard people talk about PhotoBucket.

Edmunds has a new space for members but I forget what it's called, anyone?

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    "Edmunds has a new space for members but I forget what it's called, anyone? "

Carspace.com here at Edmunds.

Mark
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    This past weekend I took my 06 3.0 Outback Wagon on a long trip. About 2/3's of the way to my destination, I noticed the TPMS light blinking on the dash. When I checked the pressure, all the tires were at 40. I had started out with all 4 still at my wiinter setting of 36.

I know the light is supposed to come on when the tire pressure is below 29 psi, but my question is does it come on when the pressure is too high?

Once at my destiantion I did drop the pressure to 34psi all around and had no problems coming home.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • goosegoggoosegog Posts: 206
    I have been told by those who should know (dealer), that the clutch is not adjustable on my 2000 model. I do tow a light trailer at times, but always go easy on the clutch to avoid the probably toxic fumes it produces.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    I would find that shocking, if true. Any system that experiences wear needs to have a method of adjustment. No wonder the clutch goes out so frequently. :sick: