Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Jon,

It has been a few years since I did my '02, but IIRC, in addition to the large floor panel, there was a smaller 'wing' that slid partially under the passengers side 'wall'. Down in that valley, coming off the wheelwell region was a wiring harness. I remember that my connector and a length of wire was wrapped back on itself and taped (?), making it a bit hard to see or feel.

Steve
  • geneobgeneob Posts: 5
    I dont think I have seen a hydraulic clutch that is adjustable. If it is, I would love to know how on my 2001. Should the clutch fork have some spring load on it to keep it against the clutch actuator?
  • Below it what I had posted earlier. I would suspect that your connector should be in the same location as mine; that is, on the left side. It was indeed hard to find. As I remember the JCWhitney converter was for all Subarus.

Hello. I also have a 2005 OBXT. I purchased & installed a HiddenHitch receiver (because it is the least conspicuous) and a JCWhitney trailer light converter speced for Subaru. The converter is necessary to convert Euro separate brake&turn to US combined brake&turn. The Subaru wiring connector is buried inside the rear left plastic panel (even the dealer didn't know where it was); you might have to root around to find it. The Subaru connector also supplies 12VDC for converters such as the JCWhitney; you want this so that your trailer lights do not load the car lighting circuit. This 12VDC supply has a separate fuse, but I cannot remember if the fuse was installed or if I had to install one. ALl went together nicely; the JCWhitney converter was "plug-n-play".
  • sissymarjsissymarj Posts: 1
    The moonroof on my 2002 LL Bean Outback leaks. I've managed to clear the rear drain tubes, but I can't seem to locate the front ones ... and that seems to be what is clogged. Probably with mud.

Does anyone know where the front drain tubes exit the chassis? I'm hoping for a simple fix by back-blowing them with compressed air, if I can find them!

Thanks for your help.
  • subarujonsubarujon Posts: 13
    I found it where you said. It was hidden behind a piece of styrofoam insulation that I had to remove by sticking my arm inside the speaker hole.

Thanks,

Jon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Score!

Awesome, gotta love these forums.

-juice
  • ncdadncdad Posts: 3
    This potentially could be a situation where someone could make a little money. IF anyone knows of a bullet proof Subaru motor that would be readily available in the wrecking yard, I am sure someone would pay for instructions on swapping that motor for the 2.5's and others with the same problems.

RK
    Jon,

Odd that yours was buried quite so deep, but glad to hear that you found it!

Steve
  • rangnerrangner Posts: 336
    Depending on your model, the 2.2 H4 and the 3.0 H6 are reliable motors with no headgasket trouble, possibly even the 2.0T from the wrx. 2.2 might be the most available. not sure about installation though Eric
  • 1mr21mr2 Posts: 2
    Could you please email or post a few pics of the hidden hitch you have installed. I have read in several locations that the hidden hitch was the least obtuse and am about to buy either a draw-tite, hidden hitch, or curt and would love to see a photo. BTW, I own the 05 OB 2.5i

Thanks,
    PD
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Posts: 13
    I have two questions about my Legacy that I just bought used; it's a 2003:

1. My owner's manual says I should have a 16.9 gal tank. The gauge goes to E, I fill it up...and I get only about 10 gallons in. Is the manual wrong?

2. My mileage, regardless of the size of the tank, is awful. In city, I'm getting about 11mpg.

How wrong are these two numbers? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Becker
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Dave,

10 gallons sounds a bit low even considering that there is some reserve after your fuel indicator hits "E". The low fuel light comes on with 2.5 gallons left. So assuming you run it down to the light, you should still be able to fill about 14 gallons. That's been my experience with my 2005 Legacy GT wagon which also has a 16.9 gallon tank.

How do you decide when the tank is full? Do you let the pump click off on it's own? I've seen faulty pumps that triggered off prematurely. Do you always pump gas at the same station and pump?

As for the gas milage, 11mpg sounds a bit on the low side, even for city driving. Is your Legacy AT or MT? How short are your city driving miles? Also, how do you calculate your mpg? Do you warm up your car before driving?

Ken
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Posts: 13
    I go to the same station and stop when the pump shuts off. I don't top off. I have let it run to about 1/8th, and put in 10 gallons to fill it. I thought that was very small.

Auto tranny, only a few miles, so it doesn't have a chance to wamr up much, but regardless...180 miles on 3/4 a tank seems very low.

Dave Becker
  • hustoncshustoncs Posts: 21
    That doesn’t sound right is your Outback a 4 cyl or 6? If it’s a 6 cylinder it will need premium gas I have a 2002 Outback with a 6 and it gets reasonable mileage it’s driven around town for short distances no huge commutes. Since it’s used some things to have checked if you haven’t already done so is the air filter and if the car has over 60K miles on it have the timing belt checked and also the plugs. Another thing that could be a problem and I’ve seen it on other cars is the catalytic converter going bad which will degrade performance. Anyway I hope this helps.

Cheers

:shades:
    The fuel gauge is very conservative. My Forester will be on E and still have 4 gallons left. I use my trip odometer to keep track of how many miles I've driven instead, and fill up once I'm past 300 miles or so. 350 if it's all highway.

-juice
    Maybe someone needs to recheck my math, but at last count 180 miles on 10 gallons was about 18 mpg.

The gas gauge is rather non-linear. If I run mine down to close to the E, until about 10 miles after the light goes on, I can put about 14 gals in. That is about 320 miles of mixed driving, for about 23 mpg. 2002 Outback, H4 auto.

Steve
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    Juice , does the sedan have a timing belt or chain ?
    Do you know when the 2007 models arrive at the dealers ,
    and what changes will there be on the new models ?

Thanks, Rudi
    Chain on the H6, no maintenance there.

07 models should be here soon, we'll get an Sat. Radio option and an aux input, and probably memory seats. Little stuff.

-juice
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Posts: 25
    The following problems can lead to poor gas mileage, and should be checked first because they are not hard to check:

1) Sometimes the front brake calipers stick and can cause the front brakes to drag. Rapid pad wear will occur and can cause poorer gas mileage. You can remove the tire and make sure that the brake disk turns freely.
    2) Proper tire inflation is important. Under-inflated tires can dramatically affect mileage.
    3) A cooling system thermostat that is stuck open will lead to more inefficient engine operation, and can affect gas mileage.
    4) Tire design is a factor. When we change to snow tires during the winter for our 3 Subarus, the gas mileage goes down from 3-4 mpg for each of them.
    5) A lead-footed driving style can cause poorer gas mileage as well, particularly in city driving. City driving that is characterized by a lot of traffic jams with engines idling and no movement will cause poorer gas mileage. An idling engine uses more gas than most people realize.
  • chrisl22chrisl22 Posts: 24
    I just bought a new outback and am considering getting a "protection package" for the paint and interior (carpet and leather fabric) since I'm in the mountains alot with dust and tree sap, etc. I got a price of $495 for all interior and paint from a local autodealer: 7 year warranty with a product called Perma Plate. This is two years longer and $100 cheaper than what my local Subaru dealers are offering.

Does anybody have any experience with this product and would you recommend it or not?

Thanks,

Chris