Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Yeah, I really miss the flags too. And these colours... :sick:
    Owen
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Visit the forums software discussion. That's the place for feeback on the changes.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• goosegoggoosegog Posts: 206
    My apologies, Mr Host. I misread the bit at the top Created by revka in the Subaru Legacy & Outback Message Board. Your Host is pf_flyer .
  • I was thinking of changing the spark plugs on my 2003 LL Bean Wagon 3.0L (60K)....I have not closely looked under the hood yet.

Is this task easily done?

Any tricks to it?

Thanks,

Jon
    Final update: Got the replacement motor fitted (although they didn't put the window glass back correctly and it needs adjusting). Took apart the old motor and found a small sealed component marked 9007099 about 1/2 x 3/4 x 1/8 inch, in series with the motor brushes. I think it is a thermal cutout which perhaps should reset after operating, but it is open circuit, which means the motor will never operate. I doubt if a replacement could be found easily, certainly not from Subaru.

So a failed 25c part results in a $500 repair (or $250 for those of you in the US).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Haven't done the 3.0l, but the 2.5l isn't hard on the Legacy because it's a lot wider than the Forester/Impreza. The Forester is a bear.

I don't think the 3.0l has a longer stroke, in fact I think it's a tad shorter, so you should have room to work.

-juice
  • Hello, just wondering if you ever found the trailer wiring plug? I have an '06 Outback Wagon and have been unable to locate mine either in the left rear access panel near the power outlet or anywhere else. Thanks.
  • I found my '06 Outback Wagon's cable and plug that mates to the 6-pole connector of my Curt trailer wire adapter in the gap between the cargo area floor and the plastic panel that holds the power plug receptacle (driver's side). You have to remove both the carpeted left "wing" panel and the fitted foam panel underneath to get to the gap where the cable resides. Need to be careful prying up the plastic push stud and clips that hold the foam panel to the floor.
    That's a '98 Forester. Spare tire well, basically. You have to remove the cover and the tire to see that, but the harness plug was against the back wall of the tire well.

-juice
  • Likewise in my 2005 OB. Trust us, it's in there somewhere.
  • nerdnerd Posts: 203
    Yes, I found it. I would have given up were it not for Mr. Crowell's assurance that it was there. I'll try to describe the procedure I used to pinpoint and access it:
    - remove the access panel on the driver's side and set aside
    - note that the power point and the rubber plug below it are closed off from the small storage pocket
    - remove the rubber plug (about1.25" dia)that is just below the power point
    - raise the center panel that covers the spare tire
    - remove the floor panel on the driver's side. Just pull it straight up. Notice that it is held by two pull-out fasteners toward the front of the panel.
    - at this point, I borrowed a borescope from my mechanical inspection group. I inserted it in the hole below the power point. Eureka - I finally could see the connector laying on the bottom at the rear of the compartment. The connector was pointed to the rear of the vehicle at the end of its wire harness.
    - I made a small hook from a clothes hanger. Inserting it through the rearmost slot (where the access panel attaches)near the floor, I grabbed the wire bundle just behind the connector and raised it from the bottom of the compartment.
    - I then inserted the hook through the hole, grabbed the harness, and pulled it up enough to grab it with my fingers.
    - I pulled the connnector out of the hole and secured it with a piece of twine to keep it from falling back in.

Good luck!

Now I am trying to figure out how to route the trailer wiring adapter to a point outside the car. Of course, the easiest way would be to run the wires out through the liftgate and the lower seal, but that isn't a good long term solution. I would welcome any recommendations.

With all the fine design of the OB, I can't believe the the Subaru guys made this connector so hard to get to. The Forester has a much better design.
  • I leave the trailer connector inside in the spare tire storage area, where it is out of the elements. When I need to use it I just let it extend under the liftgate. Never had any problems with doing this. The seal holds it pretty tightly.

I agree that something is lacking in Subaru's logic (they're one pin shy of a full connector?) regarding this connector location.

Glad you persisted & succeeded.
  • nerdnerd Posts: 203
    I'll use the same technique as you. I won't be towing very often. Thanks for your help.
  • ebony5ebony5 Posts: 142
    Everything else seems O.K. today the horn did not sound .I am going away for about a week and will deal with when I return. But I would like to know what to look for when i get back. Is there a fuse just for it,or would something else be affected by the same one, or the wiring etc? Thanks
    Check the fuse first, then the ground on the horns.

Mine has 2 horns, so that's why I think it's a fuse. If a ground connection went bad, the other horn would still work, I believe.

-juice
    That's the method I used on my 00 OB. A flat 4-wire cable is easily accomodated by the seal on the tailgate and won't leak. But many recreational trailers, even small tent pop-ups like mine, now have 6 or 7 wire connectors and you cannot close the tailgate on these. You'll need to bring it out, perhaps from the spare wheel well, through a new hole fitted with a rubber grommet.

According to my local RV place nobody tows with cars any more. Apparently you need a truck or SUV.
  • On my 98 Legacy GT, my radio (Sony) does something wierd and I don't know if it's the receiver or speakers or wiring. At random, I would start hearing noise on my side from all three speakers (2 speaker + tweeter) and then all sound goes to the right side (passenger). In order for me to get the sound back on the driver's side, I have to increase the volume and the sound comes back. It mostly happens when I'm listening to AM stations. Less on FM and almost never while playing CDs. Any ideas on what it could be?
  • ebony5ebony5 Posts: 142
    Well it is neither the fuse nor the ground. I guess the next step is to replace the horn? Any ideas for the most economical way to go about this? On line I found horns for $27.26 (low note) and $31.16(high note). I am not sure which is preferable but I would like the louder of the two. This offer is from Premier Subaru Parts, I also got some emails back from used sources but they are as much or more. After the weekend I will see what the dealership I use to service my car has to say. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
  • I've had this annoying rattle when I travel at low speeds over bumpy roads. I finally isolated it to the passenger side seat. The head rest rattles and so does the seat-when I put my hand on the head rest or the seat cushion and brace it, the rattling stops. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any information that I should be equipped with before I go to the dealer. My Jetta used to rattle all the time and I thought that with this wonderful car the rattles would be gone. :( Thanks!