Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    I agree with that - but only for the plugs.... if you are going to pull them, just replace them and be done with it. For the wires, sure, might as well esp. if they are originals. Coil pack, though.... I would wait on that one to see if it is necessary. Still, $160 is cheap preventative maintenance.

If you have the service records, find out if the timing belt was replaced, fuel filter, fluids, etc. It might be a good time just to give it a good flush to set the ticker back to zero.

I was going to look at buying a replacement '96 yesterday (green, just like my old one!), but was too slow in contacting the seller. :(
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I had a problem with my boat last summer, and in the process of trying to hunt down the problem replaced the cap and rotor, which turned out to not be the problem, however was an excellent opportunity to get the maintenance done on em. I also replaced the batteries in the boat too, which I'm not sure was the problem. In the end, I sold the boat before having a definitive answer on what the problem was. :(

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm with mike on this one.

Plugs are a pain on the Forester, as there is no clearance on the heads. Same with wires.

Once I'm in there, I'm changing them, no question.

To remove them, gap the plugs, wash my hands, clean the plugs, then reinstall would take a lot of extra time.

I may waste more $ and parts but you're wasting a lot more time and human energy.

I guess those are the trade-offs, and neither strategy is perfect. :sick:
    :D Sometimes that is the best solution! :P
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I concur, but how likely is it the plugs are the problem? I have never had a vehicle problem that was cured by replacing the plugs. I have had spark plug wires go bad (some it was obvious because a rat ate them, some I did the water misting/arcing trick), so I can understand the wires contributing.
    I would probably check the wires before doing anything at all with the plugs.
    Well, keep in mind a single misfire will trigger a MIL. It could run fun 99.9% of the time and you'll still get a light.

I've removed some pretty worn spark plugs after 30k miles of duty.
    Same here. My Subaru's plugs always looked good after 30K, but hard to say how long those have been in there unless there is a service record of replacement.

I have had bad plugs on my '69 pickup before. Changing them was like buying a new truck! It was all my fault though - just was not using it much and lost track of how long they had been in there! :blush:
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,335
    NGK copper plugs run about $2 a piece...
  • izzy3izzy3 Posts: 2
    i'm new to this forum. I have a 1999 outback and makes a clunking sound every time i turn the corner. The sound only happens when the car has warmed up. It has 78000 miles. I had the cv assembly replaced on both sides and still makes the noise. It is a manual transmission. I need help. thanks
  • cptchetcocptchetco Posts: 32
    Damn: sure seems like a lot of problems on relatively low mileage cars.
    What did you expect? This is a problems thread. That's all you'll read here.

Check out the driving experience threads if you want balanced commentary. Even then, people seek out forums like these to complain.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,641
    This is like the ER room...you don't see all the healthy ones ;)
  • madhtrmadhtr Posts: 5
    about 210K, I have started experiencing the same issue. I'm about to replace the starter, since the battery is new and charged, and we had the starter off when we did a clutch job recently. I'm just a bit befuddled, because in all other cars I've seen, bad solenoids click and buzz cause they aren't extending far enough. My problem is more like the solenoid engages the ring gear, but just does not have enough juice to turn the engine and just sticks. could this still be a bad starter? Anyone know how I can test it?

TY:)
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Posts: 25
    Starters draw a lot of current, so you should check all your battery and starter cable, and grounding connections before you pull the starter off. The problem could still be in the solenoid. It may be extending out far enough to engage the ring gear, but the internal contacts inside the solenoid may not be allowing enough current through to turn over the starter.
  • kavav00kavav00 Posts: 1
    I just bought an 07 Legacy and the climate control does not turn on early in the morning. It works in the afternoon when it is warmer out. Has anyone experienced this problem? The dealer thought they fixed it but apparently not.
  • Hi I have a stain from a ensure drink on the seat of my car and I was wondering what sort of remover I should use. The seat is not leather or vinal its a fabric of some sort.
    I would use a wet vacuum to remove as much as possible, then an enzymatic cleaner.
  • chakichaki Posts: 3
    Had my first major oil change at 6,750 miles. 1,250 miles later, the engine oil level is back at the low limit. Engine still warm. My dealer says that it is normal for a new engine to consume oil while being broken in.

Is this normal? Unfortunately, I did not check the oil level right after the oil change.
    Thanks,
    Chaki
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Most manufactures will specify that if it uses less than 1Q per 1000 miles it's considered "normal".

-mike
    Just make sure there's no oil in the coolant. Also inspect the bottom of the block for any oil stains.

If you don't see anything strange, it's normal.