Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• flyosflyos Posts: 8
    No answer yet. I posted it on the other Subaru problems thread today, but haven't gotten a reply back.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    why "inserting" a fuse rather than removing one?

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That's just how it works, you put a 10a fuse in the FWD special fuse slot under the hood. It engages the FWD.

-mike
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    glad to hear I'm not the only person with an 08 which rattles, the dealer has fiddled with the heat shield twice and the engine splash cover as well, still there, just sounds a little different after each fix! My 98 Legacy with 140K had no rattles but my 08 since new does!!
    Is it a rattling or a tinny ticking sound after you turn off the car? If it's the tinny ticking sound, that's the sound of a new exhaust system.

-mike
  • feilofeilo Posts: 128
    I have an 08 OB that has some rattles as well - seems to come from the heat shield (per above post) but I have been under there and there seems to be nothing loose. So far, I have not been able to trace it and its intermittent - almost like there a resonant frequency that sets its off. Its more acute in the summer as things loosen up ...

It may be just something we 08 owners have to live with ... :cry:
  • I have a 2008 Outback Wagon and the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are supposed to be "about 1/2 high-beam". What we find is that the DRL are almost always BRIGHT high-beam. We find that when we drive into a parking deck and/or at dusk, the "BRIGHT DRL" dims to the proper "1/2 high beam".

Lots of on-coming drivers flash their lights at us during the day because of the "high beams". The dealer says there isn't anything wrong (of course they are working on it in a garage).

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know where the light sensor is that causes the DRL to dim when I go into a parking deck?

We land up driving around with our low beams on all the time to avoid the "high beam" problem.
    its a definite rattle you get going over some bumps, if the radio its own its imperceptible but I've been teaching my 15 year old to drive recently and its agonizing hearing it as we drive around town over the rail lines etc without the radio on and at slow speed! this car is great except for this one thing! anyway will have the dealer check it - again- next service!
    Does it sound like it's from the suspension? It could be a bad strut-top.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Not sure, but you can leave the lights On all the time, since they do turn off automatically. That would at least stop you from getting flashed.
    sounds like a light metallic object being rattled around, like a heat shield, except the 2 fixes they did have had minimal effect so far. will have them check the struts next time, thanks for the pointer!
  • dbell1dbell1 Posts: 40
    This forum was a huge help to me when I was car shopping in 2005. Read up on all the models and bought the 01 Outback. Over the years, it hauled my handicapped dad, his wheelchair, my arthritic German Shepherd, countless tents & Scouts and years of memories. On Monday I was in a 4 car pileup at rush hour. Front and back damage. Would be too much to fix, so at 101,097 miles, it's now an 'organ donor' car and going to the scrapyard. It served me well and saved me many times from accidents and injury. :sick: I used to love going for servicing - it was normally just 'oil change' fee and the occasional tie rod/brake pad replacement. I'm hard on my cars and that little car stood up to every challenge I tossed at it.

Test drove 2 Subies tonight - the '04 Legacy National Limited and the '09 Forester X. I'm torn between them. Legacy was like sitting in my old car, but the family liked the Forester better (roomier finally). Still using Nitti's Subaru in Hamilton, NJ. As usual, they're awesome. :shades:
    RIP indeed, the car gave up its life to save yours.

We have an 09 Forester and love it so far. Our previous car was a 2002 Legacy, so yours would be a similar upgrade.

I will say this - my wife prefers the Forester by a *wide* margin.

To be fair it was a Legacy L, and this is a Forester Limited, but still, she likes sitting up high, visibility is fantastic, and on a highway trip on Wednesday she got 30.0mpg (I got 27.0mpg coming back, driving faster).

See if you can get that huge moonroof, though, it's my personal favorite feature.
  • blackbeanblackbean Posts: 100
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had to do caliper rebuilds on the outback? If so, how many miles? I just replaced my front pads and noticed that the caliper slide pin "boots" were leaking grease. I will replace these next time I was in there, but wondered how long the piston seals were good for.

Thanks!
    matt
    My Forester's calipers lasted the 9 years I owned them.

I did have to replace calipers on my Miata last year, but it's a 1993.

No idea how long Subaru's calipers last, but I guess it's good that I don't know!
    Still using Nitti's Subaru in Hamilton, NJ. As usual, they're awesome.

I just picked up a set of strut tops from them. Took them forever to get them but they finally came in.

That is THE SMALLEST Subaru dealer I've ever seen!

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Hi all, finally getting settled in on W Coast and just wanted to say thanks again for all your help in finding our Subaru. The 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC we bought in N California before moving our here from the E Coast a) drove very smoothly b) has been a huge help in picking up all the light office furniture and supplies we had to buy for our office and home (I found the extra interior length of a wagon/crossover more helpful than the extra interior height of a small-mid SUV) . We were able to pick up every single thing we needed locally except for a couch set. It’s unbelievable what we were able to move with this car.

The car only needed the Serpentine belt replaced and wheel alignment and I also picked up a new set of tires. At 85K miles, we’ll probably also do the 90K servicing soon.

Though the car was driving very smoothly for weeks, the pre-purchase inspection garage said that the serpentine belt needed replacement - so after a few weeks, as soon as I could give up the car for a day, I had a local garage with good reviews replace the belt, and I noticed the following afterwards:

1) I recall the engine used to be at about 1000 RPMs after start and very quiet with low vibration. Now, upon starting the car, the car seems to be revving at a higher RPM than it did before the belt replacement – about 1500 RPM – and stays there for a bit before coming down to 750 RPMs, and it’s noisier and vibrates more than before. It’s not VERY noisy and shaky, just noticeably more so than before, when it was super quiet with low vibration.

2) Twice right after coming off the highway to local streets, the car stalled at a red light. It started right back up, but I have no idea what caused the stall. It only happened 2 times, and only happened when the gas tank was lower - both times below 1/4 tank, one time when very low. One of those times the car was also on a hill. It never happened any other time.

A) Any idea what could be causing the higher revving, higher noise and vibration upon start? What could the mechanic have done to cause this? Is the timing off ? What RPM should the car be at upon start, and what should it be at after warmed up when still?

B) Any idea what caused the 2 stalls? It only happened those two times, under the same conditions – coming off highway to streets, upon the first or second red light, with the gas tank below 1/4 tank.
  • Hi guys, finally getting settled in on W Coast and just wanted to say thanks again for all your help in finding our Subaru. The 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC we bought in N California before moving our here from the E Coast a) drove very smoothly b) has been a huge help in picking up all the light office furniture and supplies we had to buy for our office and home (I found the extra interior length of a wagon/crossover more helpful than the extra interior height of a small-mid SUV) . We were able to pick up every single thing we needed locally except for a couch set. It’s unbelievable what we were able to move with this car.

The car only needed the Serpentine belt replaced and wheel alignment and I also picked up a new set of tires. At 85K miles, we’ll probably also do the 90K servicing soon.

Twice while driving at faster highway speeds +75mph (the car is smooth enough on smooth highway that you really don’t feel the speed and everyone drives +70 here to begin with), I saw the VDC and ABS indicator lights switch on on the dash. Both times there were some cracks/bumps in the highway which jarred the car and may have triggered the lights. The lights stayed on after coming off the highway, but next time car was started, the indicator lights stayed off after start.

Why did the lights come on? Did the systems switch off because of the higher speed or because of a bump/crack in the road jarring the car? Does this mean that the VDC and ABS systems were temporarily disabled? If so, did they need to be switched back on? I’m going to check out the owner’s manual as well, just haven’t had time working crazy hours and getting settled.
  • We just picked up our 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC and while we're at 85K, we might as well do the 90K servicing. Mechanic says we're good for now but that a few fluids are showing the dirt from all the mileage and could use replacement.

What should we make sure is done in the 90K servicing?

Should we use synthetic or regular oil?
  • wibyerwibyer Posts: 3
    Looking for a car for my teenage daughter as we live in snow country WI (100" last yr), I'd like AWD Outback and probably can afford around $6000.
    Can I get a good reliable Subaru for that amount?
    Any recommendations on model year?
    How much life does a 100,000 mile car have left?