Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Anyone have a recommendation for tires? 75K on the Firestones (16" 225 R70)and time for them to go. Plan on going to Les Schwab. Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    Around here it seems like Les just has house brands and Toyo. I got Toyo's for my minivan but it's too early to rave or rant.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• srb48srb48 Posts: 5
    Craig, sorry I wasn't clearer. The cost for the 60k service and the bearings was $894. The bearing replacement for both wheels was $600 of the total. That still seems high, but it's been 35 or so years since I've done it. I was looking at the new GT with the H6 engine option when I comes out in May, but now I'm not so sure.

Patti, thanks for any assistance you can provide. You're correct; I don't have Added Security. I don't think that was around in '97, just the garden variety extended warranty, and every Subaru owner I talked to, and there were many, talked me out of that. The dealer's name is Neil Huffman Subaru, and I've really been happy with their service. I'm more unhappy with the car than the dealer. If you need any more information from me, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,464
    $600 for both rear bearings sounds about right. I had the left rear bearing replaced in my '96 OBW at around 75k miles and it was about $350 / $375 with a 4 wheel alignment.

DaveM
    Thanks, Dave. Maybe its just normal wear and tear on an AWD vehicle. Though I'm surprised that Subaru doesn't have some kind of wheel bearing check on their maintenance schedule. Patti seemed to think that 60K was kind of low for this kind of failure, so I'll wait and see what SOA says. At least I know that the price isn't out of range.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I've only done it on cars with 90-120K miles.

Craig
  • blackbeanblackbean Posts: 100
    Hello All,
    I just installed the rear differential protector on my Bean. It was a really easy install (less than 30 minutes). My only question, should I have put some thread-lock or something on the bolts? The front nuts (supplied with the part) just barely cover the threads and there is no lock washer or anything. I torqued to 55 ft/lbs as specified, but wonder if they might loosen up over time???
    Thanks for any advice.
    Matt
  •  
    If the fasteners aren't self locking, thread lock sounds like a good idea. If not, drive the vehicle and check the torque, see if it's staying tight.
        Thanks for the mirror tip, used it on the Legacy.
    How many threads engaged? If it's at least 4 turns, I wouldn't worry. Chances are, the mounting holes are shallow anyway. But if it makes you feel better, Locktite can't hurt, just make sure you get the kind that's not permanent in case you ever need to get the bolts off!

I would have expected the bolts to have some thread lock on them already, it would have looked like blue, yellow, or gream paint dabbed on the tip of the bolt.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Steve: it is rare on a Legacy, in fact they fix Foresters and Impreza wheel bearing by using Legacy parts!

But unheard of, no. We had a 626 before our Legacy, and a front wheel bearing went, to the tune of $900, for a single bearing. So both for $600 seems downright cheap to me.

Matt: I installed the same thing on my Forester, 4 years later it's still tight. I just torqued them to spec, exactly as you did.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Installed one myself 3 years ago. No Locktite used. It hasn't fallen off yet. :)

Greg
    It's extremely rare to have two wheel bearings go at the same time, unless an entire batch of bearings was bad, and I'm not saying that's what happened. The mileage just doesn't seem to warrant this kind of failure. It may be that when one went, the other did likewise because of the AWD system design. I don't know, but I'd like to find out. I have been researching the problem on the Internet.

And don't get me started about Imprezas. My wife's 2000 2.5RS has had the ECM unit, the transmission, and the front oxygen sensor replaced in just the last nine months. The first two were under warranty, but took a week each to get, and they were ordered VOR. The third wasn't under warranty, but the dealership had the part.

Guess I'm having a bad year. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

Steve
    Well, consider yourself less unlucky, then. Our 626 became a money pit, we blew $2500 in the last two years that we owned it.

I have a 6 year old Forester that has cost me zero out of pocket. Our Legacy is under an extended warranty, we just had to hedge our best after the Mazda fiasco.

-juice
  • sebberrysebberry Posts: 148
    It seems kind of odd that Subaru would offer a rear differential protector, yet offer no skid plate group for anythign else. Have those with the diffy protector been in a situation where it has proven useful?
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Sebastian-
    shoot paisan an e-mail. He might be able to set you up with a skid plate on the OB :)

-Dave
    It helps to jack the rear of the car up for tire rotations. Never been in a situation that I really needed it though. It is the low point on the car though.

Greg
  • blackbeanblackbean Posts: 100
    All - Thanks for the advice - I'll just check the torque in the spring. It didn't appear that any OEM threadloack was in there - but it is aluminum plate, so that compresses somewhat and may keep it tight.

Craig - All the threads fully engaged, so the bottom of the nut is evan with the bottom of the post threads.

Seberry - I know Primitive Racing(http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/catalog1.htm) makes a front skid plate, but most people here seem to think they aren't worth getting unless you rally of road.

Looks like we will get 12" of snow tonight in MA - time to get the Subaru gassed up for the "snow day" tomorrow!!! :-)

Cheers,
    Matt
  • My Check Engine light just came on and I remember reading here that this is a known condition that is not as ominous as it sounds.

If anyone is familiar with this, please respond with the low-down on this issue.

Thanks
    Don
    Steady - get it checked out, but not an emergency. Blinking - stop car and have it towed (via flatbed) to a dealer.

Most steady CELs are from items such as loose fuel cap, knock or O2 sensor, or misfire.

Greg
    First thing, check the gas cap by loosening it. If it seems too loose coming off, there's your culprit. Tighten back down w/ 3 clicks and the CEL should go away on its own after a few days.

Craig
    Yeah, I've used mine as a jacking point. There is one scuff on it, probably when I was driving around a friend's farm in Hagerstown and bottomed out on a rock. The ground was very lumpy and uneven.

On my Forester, the low point is actually the front cross member. It's actually a good 2" lower than the rear diffy, so yeah, a front factory skid plate would be a welcome option.

paisan is going to try to fit a custom skid plate on my Forester when I go to Philly on 2/6, so ask me about it in a couple of weeks!

Don: usually it's something minor, just have the dealer read and reset it. If you are past warranty, AutoZone will do it for free.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Actually I have the Primitve front skid plate on my 00 OB. After a couple of trips to the Pine Barrens, along with some back road drives I felt it was worth getting. Unfortunately, I picked up mine a few months before Paisan strting cranking them out:-) It may be overkill, but it does give peace of mind for that added protection. When it gets warmer I have to install the rear diffy (Primitive sent the wrong one).

Mark
  • Anybody have any tips on a dealer-installed Subaru 6-disc in-dash changer on a 2000 OB? It can't read (or eject!) CDs anymore. Could the lens be dusty? If I were to shoot some compressed air in there, which direction would give me my best shot at cleaning the lens?

Thanks....
    Sorry, no idea. I've installed two of those, but it's a self-contained unit, a cube basically. I've never opened one.

-juice
  • wilkichwilkich Posts: 52
    We have a 97 Outback with 72k miles. Twice, a couple of months ago, it died on the highway. It was going full speed, sputtered and just died. Then it would start up immediately. A mechanic looked at it and said it was the mass flow air sensor. He offered to replace it but said that he would clean it first and see what happened. Long story short, it has not happened again. But, I'm worried that it could. Should I replace it for piece of mind sake. (Side note on the Suburu service issue. I have given up on dealer service after the crappy experiences I've had in the past. The independent mechanic experience was much better and I could not get past the feeling that the dealer would have tried to force me to replace it.)

Also, has anyone bought tires from Costco? Thoughts on experience and suggestions for the tires they carry.
    Hmm, '97, that failure is rare. It was common on the '99 Impreza and Forester with the first-year Phase II engine.

I think it'll be OK, it's a pricey item IIRC. For the '99, it's something like $370.

Costco mounted my tires. I bought Falken ZE-512s from Vulcantire.com, which had better prices and those top-rated tires. Costco carries Michelins and they'll have a big $60 off special for a set of 4 once in a while, so you can get a good price if you time it right. The offers was expired when I shopped, but it was back last time I checked.

-juice
  • K9LeaderK9Leader Posts: 112
    I have used Costco for the last three sets of tires I have put on various cars -- '87 Acura Integra, '98 Toyota Sienna, 2000 OBW. I put Michelin MXV4s on the OBW a few months ago (about time to go in for a rebalance and rotation) and Michelin Xs on the Sienna a couple of years ago. Can't remember exactly what I put on the Integra, as it was several years ago -- B.F. Goodrich something or others. Their selection is pretty good as they have something at most price points, and they can order most anything else.

They often (2 - 3 times a year)have a $50 or $60 off coupon on a set of 4 Michelin or Bridgestones. There is one on now or coming up soon -- the coupon is in the little booklet they mail out a couple of times a year. On the Sienna, I needed the new tires immediately (belt fibers poking out and leaving on a long trip in two days) so I didn't wait for the next coupon deal. It came out one week later -- Dohh! But Costco sent me a letter with a check for the $50 bucks anyway, without my even asking. Then, with the OB tires, I got the $50 off from Costco and the next week Michelin starts offering its own $50 off, so they sent me a check for that, too.

Absolutely the best prices you will find, and the price includes everything -- mounting, stems, lifetime rotation and balancing, road hazard warranty.

Service is pretty good, although wait times can be long if you get there at the wrong time of day. Either be the first one in line when they open in the morning, or talk to the guys who work there to find out if/when they have a regular time when things slow down.

Highly recommended.

--K9Leader
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    Basically ditto for BJs if you happen to have them instead of Costco near you.

I've been very happy with 4 sets of tires, including most recent Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's for my LLBean. I've also lucked out with the timing of coupons so far.

Can't beat going to get tires rotated/balanced at 8:30pm on a Tuesday night...fits my schedule perfectly...

Ralph
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    is the level of training the kids get. I was having a wobble that kept getting worse with each trip in to BJ's (Wappingers Falls). It took me three trips in to realize why - they never removed the old weights before spinning. I think I had about 5 lbs of lead on each tire! Finally grabbed the manager and had them strip off everything & rebalance. Got it right on the first try.

Steve
    I wouldn't trust a place like Costco with exotic 40 series tires, for that I'd go to a specialty place. But for mainstream tires, I think they're OK. I've never had any tire balance issues, not ever.

-juice