Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1976 Ford Mustang II Mach I with Cobra II package

docph34docph34 Posts: 1
Hey all,
Would like to talk to someone who is smart on '76 Mustangs, Am looking at a Cobra II in decent condition for $2600. Sound Fair or keep looking?
TIA
Shawn

Comments

• Here's Gold Book pricing, which looks a bit high, but fair enough to use as a guide, I think:

976 FORD/MUSTANG MUSTANG II COBRA II
    2D FASTBACK 1976-78
    fair 2,500
    good 4,200
    excellent 6,500
    show quality 7,800
    loan value 3,700

Add: V8 $200, T Top $200
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    Not that I know about these things but only $200 extra for the V8? To me anything but a V8 in that car would be a deal breaker. But then I'm not one of the people buying Mustang II Cobras.
  • Well, you're talking about a car that's worth very little to begin with, and that not too many people care about. So the $200 premium for a V8 is about as good as you're going to get. If nobody wants the car, nobody wants the car, it doesn't matter what engine is in it. The marketplace only works on supply and demand, it doesn't recognize practical details sometimes. There are lots of cars with even bigger engines that nobody will pay good money for.
    I guess it's just a sign that performance, even smog V8 performance, isn't what drives demand for that car. Could have probably guessed that.
  • Well, actually, performance DOES make a car more interesting to buyers in the collectible car arena, but it has to be SERIOUS performance, not 134 HP V-8.
  • 134 HP V-8...*sigh*
    You remember the silent monument to '70s automotive mediocrity I suggested a while back? Something like that row of Cadillacs a guy half buried head first at 45 degree angles, but with '70s cars instead?
  • a place of mourning, or where you can shoot paintballs at a map of Detroit. I realize that the government put pressure on automakers with emissions, but you know, Detroit resisted all suggestions that they do something about smog and safety, and they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to better engineering for modern times. Sometimes I think they made the worst cars possible in the late 70s just so they could say "See, TOLD YOU SO...your regulations make crappy cars". Of course, the Japanese just went about their work and made some pretty decent, if boring, cars in the late 70s/early 80s. They ran clean and they were reliable.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    This was the white car that Jill then Chris drove on 'Charlie's Angels', right? Yikes, those were lousy cars even when new.

In my neighborhood, there's a factory orange with orange interior, V8 (not Cobra) Mustang II hatch with t-tops. A frightening car for sure, but an interesting period piece.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    How does it feel to be some kind of hero?

Score: Mustang II boredom ZERO.

-------------------------------------------------
    I was soooooo embarrassed to like Fords back then.

The PI 429 in our '71 LTD made me forget my woes!!!
  • When I was but a pup, in my sr. year of high school, I managed to take Auto Mechanics at the local vocational school. I might not have been the star student, but I was one of the few that didn't have a criminal record, so when the local KY State Trooper brought his cruiser in to have the alternator changed out, the instructor picked me. I swapped the alt in nothing flat, put on a new belt and the whole 9 yards. Then the instructor tossed me the keys and with a grin said, don't you think we ought to road test it? Wow! Was I in horsepower heaven. It was a '73, I think and if I remember correctly that was the last year for the 429 as the PI engine, the next year they went to the 460 and went down in horsepower! What a ride!

But back to the topic at hand.....I hate to say it, but nobody's "smart on '76 Mustangs"! Their greatest contribution to the automotive world is that half the street rods built have Mustang II front ends under them--the rest of the car is a throw away!

I wouldn't invest $2600 in any Mustang built from '74 to '79! (Just so you won't think I'm an uneducated KY hillbilly--I've owned 3 Mustangs: a 64 1/2 289 4-V coupe, a 1972 Convertible with the 351C-4V, and a 1991 LX 5.0 5 speed.)

Good luck!

Hal
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,348
    Sorry...but those represented Mustang's darkest days.
    but as you know the Mustang has always been a glorified something, first a Falcon, then a Pinto and now a Fairmont.

There's no doubt the funky styling and castrated engines make this the Mustang's low point. On the other hand, it was a high point for decal packages ;-).
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584
    weren't the '74-78 Mustang II's actually pretty popular when new? I know those bloated '71-73 'Stangs were rocks on the market, and I think the Fox-based ones had some dark years, back when the Camaro/Firebird were stronger sellers.

But then that's how it was with the T-birds, too. The '77-79 models are probably among the least-loved today, but were the strongest sellers of all time!
  • I remember when those things came out with their puny Pinto engine, they seemed to me to be more of a gelded Mustang.
    I think Ford had a good *idea* in downsizing the Mustang, it certainly needed it compared to the 71-73 models. I think they just went a bit overboard (they were too small and had wimpy engines across the board).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,348
    The Mustang II's were so ugly!

Remember the Ghia model? They were silver with a silver padded vinyl roof. They had a cranberry colored interior.

Still...people bought them I suppose.
    Maybe engines were the main problem.

The 2300 I4 is a real shaker. I suffered with this engine every time I drove my wife's T-Bird Turbo Coupe and it ruined what could have been a pleasant car. Kind of a shame since the previous four, the 2000, was a smooth lively engine.

The 2800 V6 was a decent engine as a 2600 in the Capri and in the early '70s there was a very hot version called the RS 2600 available in the German Capri. Later Ford of England used another hi-perf version of this engine in the second generation Capri body that did the quarter at 89 mph. But the version we got was detuned, didn't make much torque and kept losing power to smog controls. (BTW I believe this engine is still around as the Explorer 4.0, with or without OHC heads.)

The 302 is a great engine but not with 129 hp.

A pretty typical '70s engine line-up.
    Yeah, they were the 'fancy' Mustang models; they were actually available in colors other than silver; remember Kelly's (Jaclyn Smith's) car? That was a Ghia, yellowish with lovely brown vinyl top and interior. Ick.

Speedshift, my brother's girlfriend used to have a T-bird turbo (84?) with a 5 speed. That car wasn't exactly fast, but I liked the way it handled and looked (I still like the way it looks). The interior was also very stylish for its time. This thing still had the overassisted steering, and was REALLY bad in snow.
    No, the Turbo Coupes had a lot going for them when they were new. Styling that still looks good, great interior (especially the '87-8) and very supportive sport seats.

My only real complaint is that the 2300 was too small to make any low-end torque (it took a while for the turbo to spool up) and as the car aged the engine seemed to get really rough. Of course, when it was totaled this year it had only 54k miles so maybe it was me who was aging. And cars have come a long way in refinement and power since 1987. But even the '87 Thunderbird V8 we drove before we bought the Turbo was much smoother, but not as sporty.

The Turbo steering was fairly quick but numb and in fact, the whole car felt numb--that Fox platform is pretty humble.
This discussion has been closed.