Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Scion FR-S Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

image2013 Scion FR-S Long Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2013 Scion FR-S and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    That's fine, but since this is the "tuner" car, I think that you guys should get a BBK on there.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    If I may ask...did you expect this when you overcooked the brakes, or when you first put on the much wider and stickier tires? Given the money those wheels and tires cost you, better pads would have been a couple hundred bucks well-spent. How are the pads on the Focus ST that was at the same track day? the ST is heavier, faster and has a much greater front weight bias.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    You don't need a BBK for this kind of car (Too expensive, and not really necessary for occasional track use especially with the low weight and balanced weight distribution). But braided lines, fluid, and the aforementioned pads are a worthwhile investment.

A lot of folks simply change brake pads from street ceramics to aggressive race pads when they arrive at the track. Simple half hour swap, if even. This is also where the el-cheapo $30 brake blanks (non-drilled/slotted, since those crack) with mileage warranties come in handy, since you can often use them up before the warranty ends ;)
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @duck87: You're right, it would be overkill. ^You've got some good advice there for anybody thinking of getting some track time.
  • bthayer23bthayer23 Member Posts: 4
    Are you sure the pads are glazed or could the fluid just be a little toasted?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @fordson: The ST and FRS were at an autocross day together. IIRC the FRS went to Laguna Seca with other cars, not the ST.

Frankly I'm surprised the stock brakes held up this long with all the mountain road runs, the track day, and the autocross.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    @stovt001 - you're right - the FR-S did additional track duty. If this were my car I would have upgraded the pads (and maybe looked at an intake) instead of getting the pretty, no-power-increase cat-back...but I am not surprised the stock pads are toast.