Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• jbradbjbradb Posts: 39
    I've been waiting to change from Bridgestone to Dunlop RFs, but I think I'm gonna do it. The car simply doesn't feel like a Lexus should.

My question: Should I have the dealer do it, or is it okay to have my friend who works at a tire shop do it? My concern is that if the tire pressure sensors start acting up, the dealer will tell me "too bad" since Lexus didn't replace them. Any suggestions?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,589
    Go with the dealer. It may be more expensive but the car is finicky and they will back up their work better. Take it from me as I had a problem putting on aftermarket chrome wheels thru Discount Tire. Ultimately no one "knew" better than the dealer.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Just read in the USA Today that the SC430 is selling below Lexus expectation. In fact, sales on the SC430 has been slower than previous year. I always felt that the shape of the SC430 looks a bit weird. My sister is in the market for a SC430. I'm trying to persuade her in getting a 350Z convertible for much LESS....
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    A 350Z convertible is a completely different animal from an SC430. Sporty vs luxury.
  • I read about a year ago that Lexus was considering an SC330 to go along with the 430 -- Does anyone know if this is going to happen?? Also, has anyone fit car seats into the back seat?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I just thought about it, YES there will be a 6-cylinder SC, but it won't be a SC"330" it will be a SC300, using the new (245hp in the GS, maybe more for the SC) 3.0L V6 from the new GS300. This motor is reported not to be related to the current Toyota/Lexus V6. Sounds like it will be a high-rev unit more like a Honda V6, not the usual Toyota V6. Makes sense. They'll facelift the car and introduce the new 6-cylinder model at the same time. This should happen this fall, my best guess.

M
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Do you mean the new GS300 will have an actual V6? The current car has an inline-6. If it stays an inline-6, that would explain why its different from Toyota's current V6.
    Nope, it's a true V6. Completely different from the current Toyota 3.3L V6. The inline 6 is history.

M
  • There is no way in this world to compare the two..the Nissan is ugly and small..the Lexus, while not a beauty, is beautiful next to the 350Z conv and hands down a world of difference...Lexus hit a home run with this car..syling 2nd place everything else 110% I should know, have owned the SC430 since it came out... Nissan is great for the money but its like comparing an apple to apple pie.....my opinion from Chevy Chase
  • merc1 : Who do you think Lexus would be "marketing" to with a V6 SC model? How much less would you anticipate the price to be c/w the 430?
    If they could offer a 6cyl. model with the same retractable hardtop, same interior and near 250hp for, say around $40-$45K msrp - that could be a homerun!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    toydriver,

Rumor has been around since the SC430 came out that a SC300/SC330 model would come out a few years later. Now with the '06 GS300 coming out with a new 245bhp 3.0L V6, you can bet a SC300 will be joining the lineup around the same time as the new GS300. The '06 GS300 is coming early in 2005, therefore I would think a SC300 would come by spring to early summer of 2005.
  • What would you guess the difference in price between the sc430 and a revised 6cyl sc model to be??
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    toydriver,

I would say a SC300 would come in about $10K lower than a SC430.
    Maxhonda is correct. Also, at those prices it should be a hot car.

M
  • If the car does not come with a retractable top, it may have a more handsome profile, not as compressed looking.
  • NOT for my money!! The retractable hardtop IS the most attractive characteristic of the SC. Without it, the price for a SC300 would have to be in the $35K range to be competitive, (in my humble opinion).
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I agree. The SC430's status as one of three production hardtop convertibles on the U.S. market is the major selling point. Without that hardtop, the SC becomes a very luxurious but rather expensive coupe... kind of like that previous sales titan, the SC400.
    I agree, the hardtop should remain no matter what the price point. That is indeed a major selling point of the breed....SL, SC, SLK etc.

M
  • newienewie Posts: 15
    Hello, i am going to buy my first Lexus sometime this year and was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea to wait until 2005,with all of the tire problems. i am interested in the SC 430 and i am wondering if Lexus will correct these problems for the next year model? or do they try to work out problems as they arise within the year?
    Thank you!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I don't think there are any significant "tire problems". My wife's SC430 got about 21,000 miles out of the original set of Bridgestone run-flats with no problems. However, I put new HRE wheels on the car and MPS A/S tires, for more style and a smoother ride. The ride of the car as delivered was not overly harsh, though; the wife wasn't complaining about it. She was complaining about "tramlining", which was eliminated with the new tires.
  • onfire1onfire1 Posts: 4
    Listen to ipsadoodle folks on tire issues with SC430.. Switch to Dunlop 5000 DSST and ask Lexus dealership for a refund.. Bridgestone RFT(runflat) /GoodYear EMT(Extended Mobility Technology) tires are trouble..I switched to Dunlop last year after driving 30K miles on my 2002 SC 430, no problems thereafter..
    i drove my first Sc430 yesterday. i love the car so much, but i was surprised at its lack of comfort; the seats being semi hard and the road ride. After driving the BMW which was very cushy compared and handled sooooo well. i love the SC so much more though in all of the other categories. i am wondering how this car is on long distance? Are most people just using it as a second weekend car? it would be my only car and i do drive a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Thank you
  • ron36330ron36330 Posts: 69
    First: The SC 430 with run-flat tires will ride better using 36-38 psi.
    Second: The seats become more comfortable the more it is driven.
    Third: I do not use mine as a daily driver but do use it for long trips during the summer. The ride is great and I never get fatigued at the end of a long trip. I find the the seats very accomadating and I am 6'00'' tall.
    Fourth: Nothing , but nothing beats cruising down the highway with the top down ac on and the ML knocking out the tunes.
    Fifth: It is a great car. I bought mine new 15 months ago and have not had the first problem. The only time it has been back to the dealer is for scheduled maintenance.
    Good luck.
    Ron
  • The problems on the SC 430 tires were all corrected in the 2003 model year..it is the best car of its type regardless of price..you dont have to wait..if you have the money buy it now..the car will be here next year, but you might not....good luck..its a great car..I know..I have owned lots of good cars..this is the best...the nicest interior..handles great..good value..real good compared toMB SL500...I know, I drove MB for over 20 years..nice cars..but lots of maintenance....
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    Where do you find room for luggage when you take long trips in the SC 430? When I saw the trunk size with the top down (particularly with the spare in place)I ruled out the SC430. I now drive a Jag. XKR which has been trouble free and has ~ 10 cu.ft of trunk space with the top up or down. It allows for week long trips up the Ca coast with no concerns re luggage space. The performance and handling aren't bad either.
    You lay your clothes flat under the safety panel. I have the runflats so there is then plenty of room aft of the top for shaving kits overnight bags, etc.
    I have always owned a convertible but I will never again have one with a cloth top. That is just one more reason why I prefer the SC 430.
    Ron
    i do have another concern, before i commit to the SC...i live in California and we do have on occasion torrential rains storms. is it dangerous in the SC to be in heavy rains on the freeways or in the cities? or is Snow and ice the only place tires are compromised?
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    Thanks for the info on packing. I may have to take another look when my lease on the Jag is up. I also think the BMW 645i convertible is worth a look. Here in California the soft top isn't much of an issue. I am still concerned with run flats since there is a limited distance you can run and on some of my trips I would be some distance from a Lexus dealer.
    Newie: I've only had my SC for 15 months but have had no problems driving in the rain. The top is very secure and has no leaks. Can't comment about snow/ice as I live in Alabama and haven't seen snow in 25 years-fortunately.
    Pathdoc: I believe most of the BMW's now have RFT's. It was a concern to me as well however, I haven't had a flat/leak in the time that I have owned the car. In addition Lexus roadside assistance will come to you 24/7 to replace/repair the tire. You needn't go to a Lexus dealer unless there is a warranty issue or one is convenient at the time of the failure.
    Ron
    Ron and Others....
    i found this entry below in the early letters regarding the SC. What do you think?

#357 of 749 by wcollins Jul 31, 2002 (1:13 pm)
    I have a questions for SC430 owners. Have you had any problems with traction in wet weather. I read somewhere or saw on one of the cable car shows that you need an advance driving course to handle this car in wet weather. I have also notice a few SC430s in the body shops in my area and wondering if that's the reason
This discussion has been closed.