Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Owners: Meet the Members

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Echo!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• Hi, I am Astro...I bought a 2001 Echo in May..I will post pictures as soon as I can..Have over 12,000 miles and no problems..A great car and great gas mileage..5 Speed, averaging 42-46 mpg in combined driving. Has anyone changed there gear oil yet?...Thanks!!
  • As you can see, I go by the name Major Thom which is a variation of the name I call my Echo, which is Major Tom. I was going to call myself MajorTomEcho, but someone has that name. Anyway.

I like David Bowie and the song Space Oddity and it fits the Echo. The Echo is a space oddity in that it is bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

My "baby" is a 2001 four door in black sand pearl with a five speed manual transmission and I have over 17,000 miles on him. Some pretty serious mileage for a car that I purchased slightly less than eleven months ago. I usually average about 40mpg in combined driving with my last fuel economy numbers being over 44mpg in combined driving.

I look forward to continuing to converse with everyone in the main thread.

FYI, Astro, the gear oil was changed in my Echo when I had my 15k maintenance done although the book says it should be done at 30k. If you have any further questions, why not post them in the main Echo thread?

Thanks to Karen for putting an owner's club together for us.
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    Have a 2000 ECHO with almost 55K miles. Bought it new from Cliffy1. I'm mostly a reader, seldom a writer.
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    Ive had my 4 door, auto, black sand pearl ECHO for one year now and she almost has 10,000KM..I have had no problems and still love driving it..I am planning on getting the windows tinted sometime this winter and also wish there were more accessories for the ECHO.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    There's an "Echo Owners: Care & Maintenance" topic in this club that is looking rather lonely right now.
  • My name is Randy Moran and I've been reading and posting occasionally to the town hall since February of '00, the same month I got my ECHO. It's a silver 4-door automatic. I bought it from CarOrder (ahh, the heady days of the Internet gold rush) before they went OOB. I love the car and enjoy reading the many perspectives on it here.
  • since June of 2000, and I am extremely happy with it. It is my first new car, and I had little trouble deciding to buy it, once I drove it. I live is southern Florida, so there's no ice or snow to drive in, but we do have lots of rain, (and hurricanes), but I've had no problems of any kind (and the a/c is plenty cold enough!). My only regret is not getting a 4 door, since I have 2 cats, and it is a bit of a struggle to get the cat carriers into the back seat, through the front door, because even with the front seat pushed all the way forward, the carriers are wide, and it's a tight fit. Oh well... maybe on my next Echo.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    My name is Kazuma and I own a '01 4-dr w/5spd in Electric Green. I just passed 17,500 miles and love my car more and more. I average 36mpg in mixed (LA) traffic.
  • My name is Lynn. I had to talk my husband into the Echo (he was leaning toward buying a Focus, but since this was going to be my car he conceded). He has decided he really likes the Echo, especially when we went on a long trip 2 weeks after we bought her and got 41 mpg. We bought her Memorial Day weekend in 2000 and she now has a little over 13,330 miles. My car is silver with the sport cladding, only thing I wish it really had is the split rear seat.
  • qabrbqabrb Posts: 2
    My name is Brian. Have had our 2001 Echo for about a 2 weeks now. The wifes old Mazda Protege died, and she drives my 2000 Dodge pickup for her occasional long drives from the LA area up to Sacramento or Watsonville, so I use the Echo to commute each day from Agoura Hills CA to work in Thousand Oaks CA (10 miles each way). Our Echo is the silver version, fabric seats, fold down rear seats, security system with auto locks on the front doors, CD/Tape/radio, spoiler on the rear. I just ordered the armrest from Hasco, hope to install it next week when it gets here from CT. I am a little over 6'2" tall (188 cm) and am impressed by the roominess found in a compact car. The trunk is impressive as well. Love how far you can go on the 12 gallon (45 liter?) tank of fuel.
  • Hi all, my name is Mike and I have a black 4 door 2000 Echo that I purchased in January of 2000 from CarOrder.com before they went belly up. I am a commuter so I put about 500 miles a week on it. Currently I have a little over 68,000 miles on it and still runs like it is brand new. It has seen the likes of Las Vegas, Washington DC and New Orleans to name a few.
  • morefavesmorefaves Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2002 Echo from Star- Toyota in Queens, NY. Compared to Cavalier, Accent, Rio, and Corrolla and decided on Echo. Only complaint is I wanted to get ABS and Daytime Running lights, was told by several dealers that was not available on Echo, even though it's listed as an option.
    So far, so good.
  • krakatokrakato Posts: 30
    I have a 2000 silver automatic 4 door ECHO named "Gecko" and absolutely LOVE it! I've only got 8600 miles on it because it's a commuting car and I live fairly close to work. After I'd owned it less than a month, I was hit in the left rear door in a multi-car collision caused by an irresponsible driver in a Nissan. It was in the bodyshop for over a month. I sure missed it!

Just recently I've been experiencing a slight problem with acceleration when the engine is cold (Seems crazy in 100 degree temps, but of course even in Tucson in the summer one starts out with the blue "cold" engine light on!) I posted a message about it on the Problems discussion. If anyone has any thoughts, please send them along.
  • lily888lily888 Posts: 12
    Hi, It is my first time to buy a car. So a little scared.
    I live in Detroit. I am I'm interested in 2002 Honda Civic Dx Auto 4 Dr. and Toyoda Echo Auto 4 Dr. Which one will be fit for the snow weather in Detroit? I usually use my car to commute to work and occasionally drive 4 hours to Chicago on holiday. Could anybody recommend me which one I should buy?
    BTW, some people told me that it is a better deal to buying a one or two years used car than buying a new car? Could anyone also tell me your opinion on it?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    I have a 2001 silver 2 door ECHO which i paid $13.1k for out the door tax and all. Basically I prefer motorcycles, but one does need a cage now and then. I have a 2001 BMW F650 Dakar which is new and I plan to take out west this summer and a 1992 Honda ST1100 with 84k miles on it. I love the ECHO also however and when I look at it I almost cant believe I have the car I most want to own and drive. (although I would prefer it had a diesel engine. Toyota, make an ECHO diesel and Im there, do you hear?)
  • jmeyers1jmeyers1 Posts: 6
    I drove a Cadillac Sedan Deville for 4 years... it was in the repair shop at least once a month... so I first downsized to a 1997 Honda Civic LX... loved the Honda but, after 100,000 miles I was ready to trade in the year 2001... the look of the Toyota Echo caught my eye as well as Toyotas reliability. I have driven this car all over the southeast and recently had the 30,000 mile check up... love the car and I plan on buying another one when I wear this one out!
  • dfwechodfwecho Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm DFWEcho. I have a 2000 4dr Electric Green Mica. It has body cladding, auto, CD changer,
    ( nice stereo )factory installed cruise. I've added Very Dark tinted windows and tinted vent visors, and wrapped my A/C line, thanks to this board.The car was purchased April 01, 2000. The car just turned 60,000 miles with NO mechanical problems to date.
    The mighty Echopod as we call it, has grown on my family. Initially the car was an appliance, or device. Affordable transport. After 2 years, we are Echo-ists (sic) and extoll their virtues at the drop of a hat. Mine runs well, gets great mileage, and I can haul around an unbelievable amount of camping gear, shopping bags,etc, or even 4 adults in comfort. I have personally grown very fond of the Pod's looks... I've driven the Matrix, and know about the Scion's, etc.. Are there Any plans for a station wagon based off the Echo, for the US?
    Well, thanks for letting me brag on my baby..
    DFWEcho
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The closest thing we will get to an ECHO wagon will be the Scion IST. It's based on the ECHO platform, I believe.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Hey blackjellybean:

How many miles do you have on your ECHO now?

Any problems yet?
  • IleIle Posts: 14
    I bought mine on 24 th december 1999. The car's got 68,000 miles. I drove through Indiana, Ohio and Mississppi once not under 105 mph. The car redlines every day at least 3-4 times. I wonder how long will it last. The worst fuel economy was 29.4, the best was 48.2. I love my car.