Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• Hi,
    I have a 2003 toyota echo. Great little car. I decided to change the oil myself. Got under may car and tried to wratchet the drain plug and could'nt get it loose. It accured to me maybe this is not the drain plug. Soooo the bolt I was trying to loosen is right by the oil filter. Is this correct? Please respond my car is up on two wheels right now. I would appreciate it.
  • Hi i am Asad Khaliq. I am from Pakistan. I have Toyota Platz 2001. Platz is the Japnese name for Echo. I bought it second hand, 35000 km driven. It has a 1.0 L engine. car seems underpowered after driving my Nissan Sunny 83-fitted with a 1.7L diesel engine. But it is okay for Pakistani roads. Its a nice car. comfy but not luxurious. suspension is not as tought as that of my sunny. you hear noise if it passes over bumps. Digital guages are nice and practical: their placement in the center of the dashboard is not at all inconvenient. roomy interior: i am 6' 2''.

Platz/echo/yaris/vitz are not easy to maintain in pakistan as they are not support by Toyota Pakistan. people have some trouble finding spare parts. the good thing is these cars doesnt require much maintainence.

I am facing a problem right now: i dont have its owners manual. i cant find it here. ebay doesnt deliver things here in Pakistan. even if i find it, it would be in Japnese. So i am looking for Toyota Echo 2000's owners manual. If anybody has a soft copy of it then kindly mail me at asadkhaliq@gmail.com.
  • xntrkxntrk Posts: 2
    Hey.

cK here from Toronto, Canada. I just purchased a 2004 Echo RS and I can't wait to get going. I've been looking fwd to getting an echo for years now and the last 3 months of doing my homework has really opened my eyes to one of the best sub compact out there. I loved my civic and have been a Civic owner from the start. It's time to venture outside the realm of tuners and get into something economical.

Wish me luck!
    *wink*
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• mopar71mopar71 Posts: 31
    I love my echo,great gas mileage.
  • koneillkoneill Posts: 1
    Help!! I need an owner's manual for my 2001 Echo, ans cannot find mine anywhere. I have looked online but have come up empty. Does anyone know how I can get a manual? Thanks in advance.

Kevin O
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    The only place i can think of is a Toyota dealer. Theres really not a lot in it. Whatd you want to know?
  • Have had my Echo since Aug., 2004. Have 120,000 miles on it. other than normal tune-ups, oil changes, etc., I have had no problems with this car! I think that Toyota would have done well to have kept this model on the market for a couple of more years at least! I like the look of the Echo far more than that of the Yaris!
    "I like the look of the Echo far more than that of the Yaris!"

Me too. The Echo is quirky, yes, but the Yaris disappears in the parking lots of America. They went so mainstream they dulled the model a lot when they brought out the Yaris.

My Echo is at almost 93K, nary a problem so far. 4 doors, 5 speeds. :-)

• True, but I like "quirky"! Nissan could do well to stop "recycling" styles on their models...i.e., the "new" Altima looks like the old Maxima. the "new" Maxima looks like the old Altima, the Rogue looks like the Murano, etc, ad nauseum! The only "new" style they have is on the Versa hatchback, but when they rolled out the sedan version, they made it look like the Sentra! At least Toyota has some "stand-alone" styles!

The neatest thing about my Echo? The "nose down" front end. With the downward slanting side windows, and the short hood, the visibility for the driver is phenomenal!
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    I'm late to the game, but might as well dive in. I bought an '01 Echo back in '04 with 75,000 miles on it. It was a single-owner and had been bought new and serviced at the same dealer who sold it to me, so I got all the service records. I drive far less than average (about 9000 miles a year), so I still haven't broken the 100K mark, but it'll happen within the next month or so.

I love my Echo, it's been such a great little car. I've had Toyotas pretty much my entire life. I started with an '85 Van that I traded in at 225,000 miles on an '87 Celica in '94. The Celica got flooded in a tropical storm in '01 at 199,000 miles (otherwise I'd probably still be driving it! ;) ). After the Celica I got an '89 Chevy Nova which was just a rebadged Toyota Corolla. The CV joints started going out on that around 100K (the boots got torn, so it was only a matter of time), so instead of fixing it, I donated it and got my Echo.

I love knowing I've got a car that I can drive for as long as I need to. A car I can always just get in to and start up. There's a reason Toyota is becoming the number 1 auto maker and it's quality like this across the board, from the least to most expensive cars.

*on a side note to the poster asking about what size bolts on Toyotas, they use 10mm for darn near everything.
  • G'day. I'm Denis (TheGreyOne), father of a 19 yr old who bought his first car... a cute little red 2000 Echo Coupe with 255k km (or 160k miles) on it. It's in reasonable shape, runs purrrfectly and is a blast to drive. It took about two evenings for my son to learn how to drive the 5 sp without stalling it. It appears to have a bit of a touchy clutch for starting out from rest... the same was true of my nephews 2008 Yaris so maybe it's just the tiny (economical) engine.
    We filled it up on Tuesday and with his first fill up he put in 38L for 640 km, 5.8L/100km, 41 mi/US gal or 49 mi/IMP gal. WOW! For such an old engine, I wasn't expecting that but that is what some people are getting as reported in the gas mileage forum. We have fairly rolling terrain and since we live in a suburb... about 50/50 city/hwy driving.

I think we are going to love this little car! :)

Thanks for hosting this forrum you guys!
  • Someone cracked a short piece of my sports cladding over the right wheel-well.

Any ideas on cost of replacement and where to find? Googling cladding and sports cladding lead nowhere.
  • Hi I am John from Oklahoma. Ok it's not new. It is a 2001 with 42k on it. The car looks like new and the interior is absolutely perfect. I have added a toyota CD player, and she has been sitting since last Wed because Thursday morning we got snowed in. I am getting itchy to drive it again.
    I went through one tank of gas and got 43. It had a half tank, and I don't know what it was. My wifes Vibe loses mpg with the ethanol blend they sell around here, so I am looking forward to a few good tanks of gas with the ECHO. :)
  • Hi John,

You're message got me thinkin' about my son's 2000 Echo. Other than the obvious great gas mileage... I really appreciate the good design. It is easy to work on... the whole dash board snaps apart in sections allowing one to work on it without having to crawl upside down under the dash with my butt up on the seat... etc.

ALSO... coming from Northern Canada... throughout the cold spell in late Nov and early Dec. it has been starting reguarly at -38 degrees Celsius... (about -36 degrees Farenheit) sitting in the street, not in a garage and WITHOUT being plugged in with a block heater. Not many vehicles can do that. Mind you... the new battery certainly must be a factor... but STILL... it's amazing!
    (Have a good and save New Year's everyone)

/denis
    Lucky you to get one with such low mileage! If you're into hassle-free transportation using practically no gas, this is the car for you. :-)

And you won't be driving a model that is on every street corner and found by the thousand at every mall parking lot. Even in import-crazy California, an Echo is a fairly rare sighting.

• Recently imported a 2004 Echo RS 5-door hatchback from Canada to Minnesota, for my daughter's university transportation, and noticed the speedometer cluster illumination appears quite dim, particularly to the left: Might there be a bad bulb somewhere, that's relatively easy to access?

Anyone have a resource for acquiring service manuals for this wonderful little vehicle?

Thank you!
    I have a bad feeling that car is different from US ECHOs so perhaps the service manual wont help.

I have the SM for our ECHO and will check it out tonite.
  • Thanks... it IS different - a 5-door hatchback, which is something never sold in the US domestic market 'til the recent iteration as a Yaris...
    On the American ECHO with the speedo in the center and angled towards the driver. There is a trim ring around the combination meter as its called. Remove that and see two screws that hold the speedo in place. You lift it up and disconnect the electrical connector to remove it. Looks very easy and i think I had mine out once. From there I dont see anythings but if you look behind it perhaps you will see the bulbs that are burned out.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
2»