Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Hi, I'm megan, and I just got a 2001 silver echo. It's the manual, and so far has been fun learning to drive it (replaced my 1991 acura legend AUTO. trans.). I live in CA and gas prices are too high to NOT have a car that's great on gas. My echo has 34,000 miles on it, and I'm thinking about upgrading some of the accessories. For example, anyone peeved w/ how dim and yellow the headlights are? I'm not getting used to it... might have to get some hyperwhite bulbs. =]
  • Hello!!

My 2001 ECHO's Scheduled Maintenance Guide states that at 30.000 Miles or 2 years spark plugs need to be replaced, which is required under the Emission Control Warranty. I would like to know if there are any newer model owners that can share with me if this is the same guideline for their models.

I am puzzled by the fact that it seems to soon to change spark plugs. The Corolla 2004 I just bought requires the same change but at 120.000 miles or 96 months.

Any ideas?

THANK YOU!!
  • I was just looking for a car to get me back and forth to work. I wanted an inexpensive car that got good gas mileage.

I ended up purchasing a Toyota Echo - I compared, Kia Rio, Ford Focus, Saturn Ion. I didn't go near the Neon, I researched it and it seemed like a mediocre car, with mediocre quality at a not-so-mediocre price. I liked the Saturn Ion the best, as far as the ride, and its clutch. But I wanted a reliable car with a proven history and the Ion was new and didn't have a history. Consumer reports rated the 2003 Echo high on reliability. I drove the Kia Rio and didn't like the ride, or the interior. The car is 169.9" x 65.9" whereas the Echo is 163.2 x 65.4 so the Rio is about 3 inches longer than the Echo - but even with the driver's seat all the way back on the Rio I found the ride uncomfortable. My left leg was bent at an uncomfortable angle, and it was bumping into stuff on the drivers side door - I just thought that it was cramped. The specs say that the Rio has 42.8" legroom and the Echo has 41.1" legroom - but it seemed to me that the Echo has more legroom for the driver. It's amazing that the Echo which is 3" shorter had a more comfortable interior - at least for me, I'm only 6"1'. I can't see why the Rio gets such poor gas mileage compared to the Echo - except its 400 lbs heavier. My feeling at the time was that the 2003 Rio was not going to be a quality car, and I was going to have to hassle with the dealer to get stuff fixed under warranty.

I didn't try the Hyundai - I owned a Hyundai Excell and it was the lowest quality car I've ever owned and my experience with the Service department at the dealership was the worst I've ever had in my life.

I've heard good reviews and bad reviews anout Kia and Hyundai quality. I only know that I owned a Hyundai Excel and the thing was not a very good car and the Service department treated me poorly when I brought it in for warranty repairs. I also put a fair amount of money into the car after the warranty was up.

After my experience with the Hyundai - I wanted to get a high quality car with a proven record of reliabiltiy. I wanted to have as little liklyhood as possible of having to take it into the shop and I was willing to pay more money for that quality.

Yes - Hyundai supposedly has fixed their quality problems - but they will NEVER get me back as a customer.

I paid $11,300 in October of 2003. It's a manual base model. I don't know if AC is standard on the base model but that's the only thing that I can think of on my ECHO that's might be an option. I think I got an OK deal. The 2004 model that they had - which is basically the same car was going for $14,000 and the salesman would'nt budge on the price. I think I got a good deal on the car becasue they wanted to make room for the 2004 and time was running out to sell the 2003 models. I've got 22K miles on my ECHO now, no major problems. My Echo is rated 35 / 43 - I actualy average 37mpg. I'm happy with the purchase so far.
  • bryanwbryanw Posts: 12
    I picked up my 2005 Echo four door automatic last week. It's a big change for me. First new car and first import. I have usually bought cheap used cars and kept fixing them until the junkyard beckons. I wanted something eonomical, reliable and simple to maintain that didn't leave fluids all over the driveway. More to talk about at a later date. thanks Bryan
  • I placed a bit on a 2001 Toyota ECHO for $3,900 with 59,500 miles on it. Well I won the bid! Payments are $125 a month for 3 years, and my insurance went down $15 a month from the 1998 Toyota Camry LE I also have. I owe $2,400 on the Camry and am letting my parents pay me for it until it's paid off. The only thing the ECHO needs is a passenger side mirror as the previous owners somehow knocked it off. It has a small dent near the base on the front hood but it does not affect opening and shutting what-so-ever. Hell Toyotas hold value and I believe the value on the car is $8,000 so I did very well! Happy motoring!
  • ashtonybbashtonybb Posts: 3
    I have an 2002 ECHO 4DR bought on Oct 6, it is still alive with 51K kilometers, more than two years. with regular change oil, change oil filter, i haven't change my air filter! not yet!
  • I have a 2001 Echo 4 door 5 speed with 52,000 miles. Around town I get about 35 to 38 mpg and on the highway from 30 to 44 mpg.

I would like to know metric or US, what size socket wrench and regular or hex to pull the
    top engine black plastic plate to change the spark plugs and also what size to pull the
    tops off the plug covers and also what exact size for the plugs so I don't strip anything.

Also, is the oil drain plug accessible without a lift and also the oil filter and what size
    ratchet wrench for the oil drain plus. Where are both located?

Where is the radiator drain plug and what size socket also?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I would like to start doing my own oil changes and
    also want to install four NGK iridium spark plugs I bought from rockauto.com for
    $6.22 each plus shipping. A good place to order parts. Air filters from themare only
    about $6.25 plus shipping. rockauto.com

If you have pictures or diagrams, that would be even better.

PS Anybody have any RECALL INFOR on 2001 Echos to share as I have moved
    several times and Toyota no longer has my address.

How do I contact Toyota in North America to give them my new address?

thank you!

Dan
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Hi everyone! I didn't even know the little Echo had an owners club.

Bought my silver 2002 4-door last week, manual shift, 60K miles. It's got A/C and cruise, the stereo is a very decent aftermarket Pioneer CD.

So far I am totally sold. Very comfy seats, six speaker stereo, and almost 40 mpg in mixed suburban driving. Mine has the certified warranty, paid $9000 which included four new Toyo Spectrums.

I am wondering if anyone else here has put on tires that were wider than the stock size. I am aware that would reduce gas mileage, 175s just look so skinny though! I am hoping to keep this car a very long time.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• HELLLP PLEASEEEEE heyyy i have a 2001 manual echo and im working on the sound system...i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove the passanger and driver side speakers...i took out the door panels no problem but now the speakers are embedded and it looks like i need a special drikk bit im stuck so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated
  • we have 2004 echo just had front speakers change a local stereo shop. 30.00 dollars & a warratiy. 30.00 dallors is good peace of mind. did not have to worrie about breaking anything.
  • Hi,
    I have a 2003 toyota echo. Great little car. I decided to change the oil myself. Got under may car and tried to wratchet the drain plug and could'nt get it loose. It accured to me maybe this is not the drain plug. Soooo the bolt I was trying to loosen is right by the oil filter. Is this correct? Please respond my car is up on two wheels right now. I would appreciate it.
  • Hi i am Asad Khaliq. I am from Pakistan. I have Toyota Platz 2001. Platz is the Japnese name for Echo. I bought it second hand, 35000 km driven. It has a 1.0 L engine. car seems underpowered after driving my Nissan Sunny 83-fitted with a 1.7L diesel engine. But it is okay for Pakistani roads. Its a nice car. comfy but not luxurious. suspension is not as tought as that of my sunny. you hear noise if it passes over bumps. Digital guages are nice and practical: their placement in the center of the dashboard is not at all inconvenient. roomy interior: i am 6' 2''.

Platz/echo/yaris/vitz are not easy to maintain in pakistan as they are not support by Toyota Pakistan. people have some trouble finding spare parts. the good thing is these cars doesnt require much maintainence.

I am facing a problem right now: i dont have its owners manual. i cant find it here. ebay doesnt deliver things here in Pakistan. even if i find it, it would be in Japnese. So i am looking for Toyota Echo 2000's owners manual. If anybody has a soft copy of it then kindly mail me at asadkhaliq@gmail.com.
  • xntrkxntrk Posts: 2
    Hey.

cK here from Toronto, Canada. I just purchased a 2004 Echo RS and I can't wait to get going. I've been looking fwd to getting an echo for years now and the last 3 months of doing my homework has really opened my eyes to one of the best sub compact out there. I loved my civic and have been a Civic owner from the start. It's time to venture outside the realm of tuners and get into something economical.

Wish me luck!
    *wink*

• mopar71mopar71 Posts: 31
    I love my echo,great gas mileage.
  • koneillkoneill Posts: 1
    Help!! I need an owner's manual for my 2001 Echo, ans cannot find mine anywhere. I have looked online but have come up empty. Does anyone know how I can get a manual? Thanks in advance.

Kevin O
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    The only place i can think of is a Toyota dealer. Theres really not a lot in it. Whatd you want to know?
  • Have had my Echo since Aug., 2004. Have 120,000 miles on it. other than normal tune-ups, oil changes, etc., I have had no problems with this car! I think that Toyota would have done well to have kept this model on the market for a couple of more years at least! I like the look of the Echo far more than that of the Yaris!
    "I like the look of the Echo far more than that of the Yaris!"

Me too. The Echo is quirky, yes, but the Yaris disappears in the parking lots of America. They went so mainstream they dulled the model a lot when they brought out the Yaris.

My Echo is at almost 93K, nary a problem so far. 4 doors, 5 speeds. :-)

• True, but I like "quirky"! Nissan could do well to stop "recycling" styles on their models...i.e., the "new" Altima looks like the old Maxima. the "new" Maxima looks like the old Altima, the Rogue looks like the Murano, etc, ad nauseum! The only "new" style they have is on the Versa hatchback, but when they rolled out the sedan version, they made it look like the Sentra! At least Toyota has some "stand-alone" styles!

The neatest thing about my Echo? The "nose down" front end. With the downward slanting side windows, and the short hood, the visibility for the driver is phenomenal!