Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• cb70cb70 Posts: 226
    That is an extremely active board. This board is kind of dead around here.
  • Hey does anyone know what is the best deal that I can get for a 2002 CC SE 4X4 here in san diego CA. I was looking at carsdirect.com it came out to be a little under 24K. Is that the going price for this vehicle?
  • What's the deal in here? Nobodies posted anyting in almost two weeks...
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Posts: 38
    I got my 2001 Frontier SE Crew Cab 4x4 14 months ago...here's my experience...
    Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks, and the in-dash cd changer and wheel controls are nice, but....
    Gas mileage really sucks! I just took a long across state trip...managed only 300 miles on the highway before I was almost out of gas...that's only about 15 mpg.....original sticker said 19!
    The power isn't as bad as people say.....I'd recommend the naturally aspirated 3.3 over the supercharged SC...it is very noisy and only offers better acceleration at the start.
    Little things....the cloth seats stain very easily, the paint scratches very easily, and the backseat is small for anyone around 6 feet tall. Also, as someone earlier posted...small pebbles DO get stuck between the front fender flares and the fender...very annoying. Finally, the General Grabber AW tires that came with mine are wearing very quickly. 26k miles and they need to be replaced soon.
    Consumer reports rated the Frontier last among small crew cabs, their arguments were harsh ride and lack of power..decide for yourself. Good luck!
  • brad75brad75 Posts: 1
    Is anyone else experiencing starting problems with their Frontier? I just purchased a 2002 XE Crew and twice I have had it start very sluggishly. I think I have connected this problem right after I have filled it up with gas. Does air get into the fuel systems somehow? Any help is appreciated. ONce it starts, it runs fine.
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Posts: 38
    My 2001 SE Crew Cab 4x4 has failed to start twice in the past 2 weeks. I've owned it 14 months, no problems to complain about except the slightly underpowered engine and bad gas mileage...but when this happened I just turned the key and nothing happened. I waited a few seconds and tried again, and the engine started. Sounds like something electrical to me.
    Also, has anybody noticed if their steering wheel will pull slightly back towards the driver? I accidently pulled back on mine, and it moved towards me a little, not the whole steering column, just the wheel. Kinda scary....
  • jsandyjsandy Posts: 7
    Hi:

I own a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, I have over 60,000 mile on it. It has been reliable and trustworthy, but I had an expensive repair recently. This may address some of the concerns posted here. My service engine light came on, and my truck was havinf trouble starting and running very rough. I figured the 60K tune up would cure it. Took it to my mechanic, and it was an expensive tune up from the get go (estimated at about $500, yikes). Anyway they found a part that was tripping the engine light: a fuel line regulator (about a $100 part with tons of labor to replace it). I was dissappointed by what I paid for all this, but I have to admit the Nissan is running better than new now. I will need tires soon (I have the p265 15inch goodrich, they are really good: about 63,000 and still have tread).

So, ouch. I like my Nissan, my only real complaint is how small the back seat is. Other than that I drive it a lot, get about 20 mpg, and 2 of my children have learned to drive in it.

Maybe that's useful for someof you.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    My Dad has a 2001 Xterra. He is thinking about the Extended Care coverage. Must you buy this where you purchased the car or can you shop around. What is a good price with the $0 deductible option?
  • jsandyjsandy Posts: 7
    HI

Well, things got worse for my Nissan. I had the fuel line pressure regulator replaced, and it ran great for about one week. Then, it started running really bad, adn it smelt like fuel. Iwas about to go back to the mechanic, when it broke down and left me stranded. I was bummed. I had it towed in and now I find it needs a new Fuel Injector, the theory is when the fuel pressure regulator blew, it put too much pressure in the system adn blew the fuel injector (just one of them). Anyway, my credit card can't take much more of this.

I hate to say it but I am not impressed with Nissan. I know alot of people who have owned and been happy with Nissan products, but I am very disappointed.

To anyone considering what to buy: my advice is GET A TOYOTA.

ps it's taken about a week just to get the part!
  • millsk1millsk1 Posts: 24
    and I love my Frontier Crew Cab. I have a 2000 4X4. The gas mileage is bad, but there are few trucks on the market that get the mileage on their sticker. The back seat is small, but I knew that when I looked. It is for the kids. I wanted something that looked good, drove well(even with my mud tires), and gave me some passenger space. I have wanted one of these since I saw the Toyota and Nissan CC's in Panama in the early 1990's.
  • Let me get this correct. You have a repair done incorrectly and now you advise people to buy a Toyota? Your mechanic should have checked the injectors too. One more thing, the engine has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. Had you had the service done at Nissan you wouldn't have had to pay for the repair.
  • I have a 2002 4x4 SE-V6 crew cab. The check engine light comes on almost daily, yet the dealer can't find the source of the problem. The brakes wore out after 12k miles. The front end will not align; the dealer "aligned it 3 times in 1 day, but couldn't ever get it into specs". It will pre-ignite, causing spark nock, unless you use 89 or higher octane fuel; confirmed by the dealer. The OEM tires wore out after 9 months. Add the facts that the cabin is small and the engine over-powered yet gas-guzzling and you have one sorry piece of crap. Yes, appearances can be deceiving.
  • I have had my power window regulators changed 3 times already. Has anyone else had this problem? The jerks at the nissan dealership are saying that nissan is having a legal battle with the supplier of that part (which changed between 2000 and 2001). Nissan denies this (1-800-nissan2).

Over all this truck has been a huge disappointment. weak engine, poor gas-milage, my a/c make a strange "farting" noise and produces a foul odor, poor customer service at the dealership, and, oh yeah, my door trim is falling off. It just never ends.

I don't think I'll be buying another nissan.

Does anyone want one? I'll sell it to you cheap!
  • hdlouiehdlouie Posts: 8
    Can I fold down the rear seat to use for hauling other things besides people? It seems they have a soft backing instead of hard back. I only looked at one so I don't know if this holds true for all.
  • I'm thinking about getting a 2003 CC S/C, but not certain now. Some people have no problems at all while others are having nightmares. I really like it, but don't want to get into a major problem... Any feedback??

Thanks
  • From reading the messages, it sounds like I shouldn't. Part of the reason I have them half-crossed off my list is because:

-I wanted the Crew Cab, short or long bed, 4x4, with the towing package. But yet when I tried to select the tow package (on build your own on Nissans' web site), it automatically changes your 4x4 selection to 4x2.

Why would Nissan do this? Wouldn't you want 4 wheel drive when you are towing something, if necessary? That whole thing just turned me off, I'm off to look at Tacomas.

Having a pickup truck without 4x4 is like being married to a supermodel without being able to f*** them.
  • Fishooked. I wonder if the problem is with Nissan's web site, it may automatically change to 4X2 because the 4X4 already has all the items in the tow package. I have a 01CC/SE 4X4 with 20K and have had no problems at all. I installed a Hidden Hitch receiver and tow my 17' Tracker all over the place.

The Tacoma is also a nice truck but if you go over to their board you'll see they also have problems. Sometimes you get a lemon, sometimes people abuse the heck out of their vehicle then complain about it. It's hard to tell, you just have to go test drive and ckeck out each type you are interested in.
  • I could always get an aftermarket tow hitch I'm sure. Still not sold on Nissan's quality though.

I have a friend who also has an Altima and Exterra, and she's always had problems...
  • Hello all, I am considering purchasing a used Frontier SE from a local guy who's kept the truck in immaculate condition. All service records, synthetic oil only etc. The body is excellent, never wrecked, interior is great. Engine could be eaten off of.

The truck is loaded with everything but 4x4 for that year and it has 44k miles. He has had no mechanical issues, according to his maintenance log. It is a beautiful truck and the price is soooo right. He only wants 15k for it.

It seems that it would be perfect for my small kids to sit in the back, to pull my dirtbike on a small trailer, to go camping in and mountain biking with.

My question is, are there any things I should look for on the year 2000 model trucks? Reliability issues, services, etc. It also has new Toyo tires...

Thanks,
    Mike
  • I would say 15K for a 2000 is a good deal. I saw one person asking 18K for the same.

The only issue that I can tell you about on the 2000 is the drive shaft. They have a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing in the center. There has been a few failures of this bearing. If it is going bad it will probably shake or vibrate at highway speeds. You can crawl under and check it out. Grab the driveshaft on both sides of the brearing and see if you can move move it up and down. Also I think I remember someone saying if it is going bad you can see the rubber around it squishing out.
  • Well, geez, if that's the only thing really worth noting on these trucks, I'd say that's no big deal really.

Thanks for the reply and any others that come along...

Now, anyone know of someone in the ATL area in need of a 95 Acura Integra in excellent condition...?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • DrewHinkle - A little late on a reply for you, but have them check the engine computer for the engine light problem. I had the same problem with mine and they thought the fuel tank was bad and replaced it (one month after buying it). Turns out the chip in the computer needed to be updated and the fuel tank was fine.

Brakes! I've had mine in 5 times since I bought it last year in Oct. They told me that the rotors are glazing because of excessive braking. I will be talking to the service manager soon, but wanted to find out what anyone has heard/experienced with theirs. I also have researched the lemon law, and found that I have a pretty good case if it comes down to that.

Other than the brakes, I love the truck...
  • Does anyone here think that it is kind of odd that the CC's engine only uses 3.5 qt of oil. Does this mean it is more prone to oil breakdown compared to other V6 with approx. 5 qt of oil to work with.
  • I bought my first Nissan in 1988, a '87 Sentra. Since then I've bought 3 Nissan pickups. I am currently driving a fully loaded 2000 Desert Runner.I drive over 100 miles a day. Problems? one cracked distributor cap at 70,000 miles on my '97 Hardbody.I wish my 1998 Chevy Silverado was just half as reliable!
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Posts: 8
    We have 47k on ours. We will probably need tires by about 55k. I just did the front brakes and repacked the wheel bearings. ($377.10 at dealer) The truck is still tight and seems like new. We've had to replace two light bulbs. We put a canopy on it with a window/door on the drivers side and put a shelf that runs along the drivers side and the front of the bed. This allows us to easily put groceries in and out from the side, or allows us to slip stuff through the back window into the bed when there are four of us together on a trip.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    repack. Haven't seen one in awhile and was wondering why Nissan would go back to it?
  • I have another post with the same problems as someone did in post #645. The both front power windows need work. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow because the driver side front window regulator needs to be replaced. I currently can't put the window up more than half way. I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem on the passenger side as well but it hasn't failed yet. When I asked Nissan about whether this was a recall they got very short with me. I find it hard to believe that both windows would have the same problem and yet it's just coincidence? Other than this, so far, I really like the truck. This is my first Nissan and first foreign vehicle. Hoping I made a good choice.
  • Going back to post #549, I purchased a 2001 CC 4x4 new and currently have 14K miles on it. I still get the rotten egg smell and have been told by a Nissan dealer that the catalytic converter takes 15K or so to season and stop smelling. I do occasionally get the smell at highway speeds, so I will have the truck checked for an exhaust leak at the next oil change. But the same dealer did a detailed exhaust system diagnostic and found no leaks or flaws at the last oil change. Is this smell common and if so, at what point could I reasonably expect it to go away? I have driven many cars both old and new and never noticed this smell before.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    There are several causes of that rotten egg smell. One is a rich condition which may be caused by a bad O2 sensor. Another one could be the fuel you're using. Try changing brands for the next couple tankfuls and see if it changes.

While the smell may be common if say for example you ran the truck hard (going uphill with a load), there should be no reason why it should smell on a continuing basis.
This discussion has been closed.