Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    You say that the fuel economy on your truck is really bad. You have a S/C crew cab 4X4 model with a long bed. How bad is the fuel economy? What about when towing? I believe the supercharged model requires premium fuel. Did you experience any violent engagement of the speed limiter in this truck? I read several posts on this and it sounds like the truck is about to explode when the speed limiter engages.

I am looking at the crew cab long bed SVE model which has a supercharged engine and 4X4, but fewer bells and whistles than the S/C. I wonder how well will this truck tow a 5000 lb boat/trailer?
  • pitrottpitrott Posts: 37
    M8s,
    I ordered the SE4x4 but i am not to happy waiting for it to come in... the books says you can get the bed extender(long bed) and dynamic control package with the SE but when i placed the order the factory said that is a no no.. any one know why?? the dealer was confused also?
    Pit
  • dtenore1dtenore1 Posts: 3
    Bought a new 2002 SC/CC/4x4 LB, LOADED in late August 2002. Aside from the MPG I'm getting (like everyone else), it's been a great experience! Not getting great gas mileage, but probably like many others, I "skimmed" over this detail.

Why did I buy this truck or any other truck for this matter?? Because I wanted a "combo"....... a real truck bed to haul things w/o borrowing a friends truck AND the ability to travel with my wife and two kids. I have the best of both worlds! With small kids, no way would I've settled for anything but a crew cab!

Another great thing was the dealer I went through. They were small, but not a lot of overhead and no BS whatsoever! When I 1st visited, I saw the truck I wanted in the show room. It was a SC/CC/4x4 LB (red). It was loaded with leather, fog something or another sound system, sunroof,. bed liner, extender etc., etc. Just for the hell of it, I wrote all the specs down and submitted to CR ($15.00)for a report. Based on what CR gave me for dealer costs, plus what I figured in for min. dealer profit, trade-in and a 2.9% rate I went into the dealer the 2nd time, armed and ready!

Without me pulling out any of my "information", the dealer gave me a price of about $8 a month less than what I was ready to pay! No haggling, no BS, no crap......... we signed the deal in 15 minutes. To top it off, I came in a week later to pick it up and the dealer told me that my application was approved but it wasn't processed until the 1st of September. (the special finance rates advertised were thru 8/31/02). I said to myself "oh crap, what is it now?" Turned out that on September, Nissan dropped the rate by another point... saved myself a few more dollars!

I'm 42 yrs old and this has been the only time I've ever purchased a vehicle, new or used, that I felt I wasn't screwed on!! It pays to do your homework and maybe find a small town (low overhead) dealer.

One other thing.....almost 10 months later, I'm still getting weekly compliments on the truck, especially from owners of some very nicely equipped Dodges's and Toyota's.

ALL in All, a very good experience!! Good Luck!

David
  • dtenore1dtenore1 Posts: 3
    Reagarding use of premium fuel for S/C models (92-94 octane)... my dealer said I'd get along fine with 89 octane (mid-range)w/o any problems. I only use name brand gas, and so far, so good.

David
    You still did not say what is your overall fuel economy on the supercharged version of the crew cab 4X4 truck. I keep hearing 15 MPG average mileage with premium fuel. What is the best mileage you get cruising at say 80 MPH with A/C on?
    Can somebody answer the question in the post above please?
    Hi,
    My new truck came in and i have one ? for all with the windows down on the crew cab and driving around 40+, does any one have seat belt rattles, what i mean is the seat belt shaking against it's holder?
    Tks
    Pit
  • soggydogsoggydog Posts: 67
    I have an 01 SE CC 4X4 and averaged 18.7 mpg on a 1200 mile trip, most of which was 80+ mph with the AC on. I think the SC is usually one or two mpg less.

I just made the same trip in a new dodge van and averaged 21 mpg. Do the math if you want, but were only talking a few more bucks.

I guess it just depends on how much you drive. I usually only put on 9 or 10k per year, so a little better gas mileage don't mean much to me
    Hi all
    I have a SE crew cab 4X4 and with the windows down and driving at 30 the seat belt noise is un bearable, does any one hae this problem?
    Happy 4th to all!
    pit
  • gmkrphgmkrph Posts: 12
    My 2002 Frontier 4x4 SC Crew Cab Long Bed has
    27,000 miles on it. It was delivered with
    BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A , P265/65R17 110S
    tires. Owner's manual service schedule strictly
    followed with regards to tire rotation , alligment
    always checked etc. All 4 tires have worn evenly,
    BUT they are worn to the point of, they MUST be replaced ( nothing left )@ 27k miles !
    Michelin and Bridgestone are the only other
    manufacturers making this size. Any recomendations
    on what brand I should purchase ? George
    I have a 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 pickup. It originally came with Firestone all terrain tires, which I took off at 5K miles and replaced with Michelin LTX M/S tires. The Michelins have 72K miles on them now, and I still have some tread left. Like you, I rotate the tires periodically, and keep the alignment within spec.

Michelins give a much better smoother ride than the Firestones and longevity speaks for itself.
    Few days ago I began hearing high pitched whistling noise coming from under the dash of my 95 SE V6 pickup. This noise starts around 45 MPH, so it is speed related. It is not caused by the heater/A/C blower because turning the fan on and off does not make the noise go away. I believe that the outside air is coming in past some deteriorating seal but I do not know where. The noise is extremely annoying. Anybody experienced anything similar? Any feedback will be appreciated.
    I was hoping somebody would respond, but I found the problem. It was not under the dash. It was caused by a piece of clear mylar film coming loose from the cheap upper windshield moulding. The upper moulding is the only plastic moulding around the windshiled - the other three appear to be stainless steel. Anyway, I could not believe what an annoying noise this peeling mylar could cause. It sounded like a foot long angry mosquito buzzing inside the cabin and it was becoming unbearable. All this because Nissan saved $ 1 on the upper trim by substituting mylar covered plastic for stainless or aluminum.
    I just ordered a replacement upper windshield moulding for my truck. $ 34 for a piece of plastic moulding! Thanks you very much Nissan! You saved yourself $ 1 in production costs and took $ 34 out of my vallet (not counting days of needless aggravation and labor to install this thing).
    p100
    With the windows down and driving 30+ do you get seat belt flap noise? and where is this molding you are talking about>?
    Pit
    I have not heard any noise coming from the seatbelts in my truck. My truck is a King cab model, as they did not offer a crew cab back in 1995. I have seen seatbelt pads for sale (I believe JC Whitney catalog) that you can slip over a sealbelt portion that goes over a person's shoulder when worn . Maybe these pads would alleviate your problem. I assume the belts are flapping when not worn.

The moulding I was talking about is the upper windshield horizontal trim moulding on the outside of the truck. It is a plastic moulding covered with plastic film, which started to come loose and caused horrible high pitch whining or buzzing noise as the peeling film fluttered in the wind.
    p100,
    I will look at the molding today and get back with ya! plastic film hu? sounds cheap! If i remember correctly mine is rubber! Here is a good one for ya! Frontier on the back of my truck is put on croked! the F is to high! Some one must have had a FEW to many when they built my truck!
    According to Edmunds.com test report, the combined fuel economy of their test truck (S/C crew cab 4X4) was only 12.7 MPG and that was mostly highway driving with cruise control on with only minimal off road driving. This seems dismally low to me, expecially if you need to use premium fuel in this vehicle. I might as well buy a Silverado HD 1500 which comes standard with a 6 liter 300 HP engine. I do not think the mileage will be much lower and you can run that truck on regular unleaded. How can the S/C Nissan truck be such a gas guzzler? Compared to Silverado 1500 HD crew cab, it is a toy truck, as the Silverado weighs almost a ton more.
    p100,
    Hey I looked at my trim and mine is rubber. As for the poor mileage well on my SE-V-6 CC 4x4 i get around 12.5 in town.. now for the SC it's the Super charger it's self that requires the 93 octaine and the bad gas milage! I have a 01 Pathfinder that requires(recomended)93 octaine and i get around 18 in town 23 on the highway!
    Cheers
    Pit
  • bstone3bstone3 Posts: 97
    Picked up an 02 King Cab (no Edmunds board for this model)with the SC V6 and automatic - but the info here is sort of universal for those thinking about purchasing a Nissan Frontier. Gas mileage on the last fill up was 15.7 - mostly work commute mileage - my 01 Trooper with a bigger but normally aspirated V6 gets 15.2 for the same circuit. I just filled up with mid level octane just to see the difference. On the highway I would expect 18-19 mpg - pretty normal for a 4X4
    anything with a V6 in my experience. If you check out the Tacoma site they complain about mielage too.

Before I bought this truck I was only looking at Tacomas - when we spotted this truck and test drove it we were plesantly surprised - much better seats - better back support and longer bottom cushion - better glass area - especially the front windshield - in Tacomas I always felt smothered especially with the low headline of the front and side window/winshield. Also the rear sliding window is much bigger than the Tacoma - my dog likes that for sticking his nose out or in depending if he is in the cab or the bed. The ride is more controlled and also engine noise is much lower in the cab. This truck had 35K miles on it and the interior looked new - speaks well for the quality of the seat material. The truck still had some factory warantly left on it so I had them replace the leaky cab mounted rear brake/bed light. The Nissan also uses recirculated ball steering vs the rack and pinion on the Tacoma - personally I like the ball type steering better - especially off road. The interior is also wider - so far we are very impressed with this truck.

I noticed that the truck is equipped with an outside temperature sensor located under the grill forward of the radiator - but there is no readout in the cab - must be an option for this model of truck. That SC V6 is one strong pulling engine - much more juice than the Tacoma - nice truck. If you live in higher elevation areas of the country the SC is a real plus. Our kids are grown so we preferred the King Cab plus we have the Trooper for company.

Oh yea - the 02 Nissan was priced $3500 less than the 01 Tacoma plus we got cruise control, limited slip diff - new tires - and no bumper damage that the Tacoma had.
  • jd070jd070 Posts: 5
    I have a 02 nissan frontier crew cab 4x4 the noise that i here is when putting vehicle in drive and begin to pull off, it makes a clunk sound followed by 2 clicks in the dash. dealer
    said that it was the abs computer resetting.?
    Why would this happen every day and be able to here it.
    jd070,
    So that is what that is! I to have the 2 clicks just after i start the engine in the am and as soon as i go to drive i hear the clicks, Now i don't hear the clunk sound... Hey with your window's down do you get serious seat belt flap at speed?
    Pit
    no i do not get seat belt flap with the windows down but leave the windows up and get lot of winf noise has your vehicle been in the shop a 11
    times but not for normal routine service. jd
  • bstone3bstone3 Posts: 97
    I don't hear that sound in mine - but I have not been listening for it either - however, I had a Tahoe that did a similar thing due to abs resetting itself everytime you started up and put in in drive - now it made some noise - but was normal. No seat belt flutter up to 50 mph or so - but I have had that problem too in other cars - so bad sometimes I would buckle the belt together without a passenger in the seat.
    jd & bstone3,
    Jd what is winf? As for haveing my truck in for service not yet! it only has 960 miles on it! but when it is time for the first oil change i will have them fix the frontier on the tailgate the F is to high. As far at the clicking noise it is very low sounding so no problem with that, what went wrong to go 11 times? bstone3 what year and model do you have?
    pit
    While driving from one end of our state to the other going from about sea level to altitude of 3200ft. on the interstate the truck barely made it
    up the incline towards the mountains topped out at 60mph. when i drive around town their its fine but the trip up was a pain, i thought the fuel inj. would compensate for the change. refueled in town while thier for a week got better gas mileage
    thier then i did at home 300 miles on a tank compared to my average of 200+ any ideas?
    As far as my seatbelt noise it was so bad if I had noticed it on the test drive I would have not bought the truck! To fix the problem I had to put thin metal plates over the seatbelts to stop them front driving me insane!
    pit
  • tclemonstclemons Posts: 31
    I have an '02 KC/XE/V-6/4X4/Automatic that I bought in 12/01. I currently have a little over 17K on it and I have averaged 19.8 mpg since day 1. I live in the northern VA area and my commute is 35 miles each way -- in the morning I can run about 55-60 and in the pm it it varies from the posted speed limit to stop & go. Overall, I am very please with the truck.

bstone3: You will find that the leaking rear light is fairly common on this truck. The dealer will change it, but it sometimes comes back. Most people put a bead of silicone around the edge and it seems to stop.

jd070: The dealer is correct about the click when starting off -- it is the ABS doing a self check and it will do it every time you start your truck and move off, even if it was only 2 minutes that you were stopped. At least mine does this. When I first noticed it, I found myself "listening" for it and don't pay any attention to it anymore.

There is a site dedicated to the Frontier (called TUNFS -- The Unofficial Nissan Frontier Site) at www.nissanfrontier.net. The people that frequent this site have a world of knowledge about the Frontier and they are always willing to share any modifications they have performed. In fact, one of the regulars (Jeb) did a mod on the "seat belt flap" that was quite effective. You might check out the site and see if there is anything you can use.
    bstone3: I also have had third brake light leaking
    and filling up like a fish bowl, I have been to the dealer 4 times before i received a good one.

tclemons: thanks for the info on frontier site I will check it out.
  • jbrotherjbrother Posts: 31
    i ran into a new frontier king cab sve 5 spd 4x4 on a local lot, it has hail damage. it's black too which is cool. first off, does anyone know if you can get a 2wd 5spd s/c king cab with limited slip diff?? on the nissan website it says you can under the specs but if you try to put one together it won't work. on edmunds it also says you can do that. otherwise if i can't get that may make an offer on the hail damaged frontier. how does an offer of 3 grand off sticker, plus the 2500 rebate sound reasonable for hail damage?? (it says that exterior body warranty is void)...
This discussion has been closed.