Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• olie5olie5 Posts: 1
    just bought an '03 Frontier CC, 4x4
    like it fine, except for the roof vibration, at around 25-30 mph, when going over rough city streets

anyone else experience same?

it really drives me nuts- last two PU's were '80 Toyota and '87 Toyota, and I never had so much noise

I took the service manager of the dealership for a ride, and couldn't quite get the roof to vibrate (of course as soon as I got home, there it was again)
    the service manager suggested it might be the bedliner making the noise, but I don't think so

i can actually feel the vibration if I hold my hand to the roof liner
  • pitrottpitrott Posts: 37
    What is the problem at Nissan, I went to order a 03 SE Crewcab 4x4 with the DSC package and Bed extender and Nissan won't build it. Does any one know why?
    Pit
    Support our Troops
  • tykane01tykane01 Posts: 1
    I have had my frontier for 18 days, and my overall satisfaction is excellent. yea the gas mileage sucks, but what do you expect. I feel the vibration that some people have talked about. I'll get used to it. And at 95 the truck flipped out. I only had 800 miles on it, and I thought the whole thing was going to fall apart from being so new. But I guess there is some type of speed limiter. Also the heater is kind of weak. And the car does go from rich to lean in the first few miles. Yea my overall satisfaction with nissan is poor. When I bought the truck the salesman took off some fees to make my payment low, then tried to add them back on later. Also I went in to a dealership today, and they just kept going around the issues. Bad customer service.
    Tykne01,
    What model do you have and i must say you are scaring me lol i ordered a 4x4 se model yikes.. you say your happy but unhappy with nissan? what do ya mean i have to nissans a pathfinder and quest and all has bee super... let me know!
    PIT
  • whitewa327whitewa327 Posts: 2
    I'm starting to hear some noise when downshifting (manual) from 3rd to second gear. Not really a grinding noise but it really catches my attention. It doesn't always happen. Kind of random. It is a 2000 Frontier Crew with 56K miles. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks, Beck
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I own a '95 SE V6 4X4 King Cab Nissan truck with a 5 speed manual transmission. This was top of the line truck available in '95. I have had pretty good luck with the truck and not too many problems. The gas mileage is not good because this is a heavy truck (about 4000 lbs) and is underpowered. My V6 engine only puts out 153 Hp and 180 ft-lbs of torque. To get any power out of this engine, the manufacturer used really low gears in this truck. Moreover, I replaced the monstrous 31X10.5 Firestone Wilderness tires that the truck came with originally, with smaller P235 R75-15 tires, which make it ride much smoother, but increase the RPM by 10% in all gears. Actually these tires were standard equipment on the SE 4X4 truck but mine came with the optional sport package and huge tires. Nissan used the same rear axle ratio for the truck with either tires. Smaller tires make the truck a better tow vehicle though (10% more torque at the rear wheels). It pulls a 4000 lb boat/trailer without much difficulty. I only get about 17 MPG combined with A/C on most of the time. When towing the boat, the mileage drops to 12 MPG.

In 8 years I had to replace the electronic speedometer at 55 K miles, fan clutch at 72K miles, light/turn signal switch at 75K miles, and the driveshaft center bearing at 76K miles. The cost of all parts was about $ 500 and I diagnosed all the problems correctly and installed the parts by myself (the driveshaft bearing required a hydraulic press to remove and install.) The only warranty work on the truck was replacement of the rear axle differential, which made strange whining noise when under load.

The truck has held up very well over the years, the original paint is still in showroom condition after 8 years in the Florida sun. I had good luck with Michelin LTX M/S tires on this truck - I have 72K miles on them now and they still have tread left. I know several people who have these trucks with almost 300K miles on them, still running strong on the original engine. Mine has only 76K miles so I am thinking about keeping this vehicle for a long time. The truck has never left me stranded, never had any engine problem, except for the fan clutch that needed replacement. I believe that older Nissan trucks were actually built better than the Frontiers. I would say that the A/C system in this truck is phenomenal - in eight years I have not done anything to it and it still blows air as cold as on the day I bought the truck new in '95. And I use the A/C year round in Florida, even in January due to humidity.
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Posts: 8
    On our 2000 Crew Cab XE with V6 Auto and a canopy we average 16.5 mixed driving when it is loaded with 4 people, 2 Jerry cans of extra gas and our junk. With just 2 people and less junk, we averaged 18 for over a year. The best we've ever gotten was 20.5 on the highway. I did put a K&N air filter in it while it was relatively new. I don't know if that has helped the mileage, but I am sure it hasn't hurt.

We're up to 56k miles now, and the truck has held up better than I thought it would. I am sorry to hear the reports of other owners that have lemons. I bought a Nissan because I didn't have the time or money to be constantly making trips to the dealer for repairs, even if they are under warranty. So far, I haven't had to make many. The vehicle is still tight after moderate 4x4ing and a lot of around town driving. We hope to keep it for 10 years / 200k miles. If this vehicle holds up as well as my '89 Nissan Pickup with 197k on it, we'll probably buy another Nissan. If not, we'll look at Toyota.
  • january116january116 Posts: 1
    We own a '01 Crew Cab and the air conditioning is horrible? Has anyone else had this problem? We have had so many problems with the dealership and the truck (brake issues, Crack in the fuel pump with less than 1000 mi.) just to name a few. I don't know if I should try a new dealership since I have told them since the day I bought the car and they keep telling me it works fine.
    I just looked at a supercharged SVE crew cab 4X4 model Nissan truck and its sticker price was 25K and some change. This is only a few hundred dollars more than a crew cab XE 4X4 with power package and a sport package. The SVE already comes with power package as standard equipment. You get a lot better more powerful truck for your money with the SVE. The only disadvantage is that it requires premium fuel. But extra power is certainly worth it. The only thing that annoys me is that SVE crew cab is not available with a manual transmission. The only SVE version available with a manual is a King cab version.

Are there any major issues with the supercharged Nissan trucks? From my perspective, if one wants a fully loaded Nissan truck, not buying an SVE is a mistake, as SE will cost you the same or more and will not have the same power.

after reading some of these posts I have an impression that quality of Nissan products is decreasing. As with all vehicles you can always get a lemon, but with Japanese vehicles, the probability of getting a lemon was much lower than for American cars, for example. Now I am not so sure. The fact that Renault now partly owns Nissan does not make me feel too good. If you ever owned a Renault, you would know what I mean at once. This is the company that had to shut down its US auto manufacturing plant because of horrible quality of its vehicles (Renault Alliance). One of the ways to make a good car unreliable and impossible to live with is procurement of cheap parts from questionable suppliers (e.g. defective window regulators). Other manufacturers are also guilty of this; read about the ignition coil recall on Audi and VW vehicles.
    You say that the fuel economy on your truck is really bad. You have a S/C crew cab 4X4 model with a long bed. How bad is the fuel economy? What about when towing? I believe the supercharged model requires premium fuel. Did you experience any violent engagement of the speed limiter in this truck? I read several posts on this and it sounds like the truck is about to explode when the speed limiter engages.

I am looking at the crew cab long bed SVE model which has a supercharged engine and 4X4, but fewer bells and whistles than the S/C. I wonder how well will this truck tow a 5000 lb boat/trailer?
    M8s,
    I ordered the SE4x4 but i am not to happy waiting for it to come in... the books says you can get the bed extender(long bed) and dynamic control package with the SE but when i placed the order the factory said that is a no no.. any one know why?? the dealer was confused also?
    Pit
  • dtenore1dtenore1 Posts: 3
    Bought a new 2002 SC/CC/4x4 LB, LOADED in late August 2002. Aside from the MPG I'm getting (like everyone else), it's been a great experience! Not getting great gas mileage, but probably like many others, I "skimmed" over this detail.

Why did I buy this truck or any other truck for this matter?? Because I wanted a "combo"....... a real truck bed to haul things w/o borrowing a friends truck AND the ability to travel with my wife and two kids. I have the best of both worlds! With small kids, no way would I've settled for anything but a crew cab!

Another great thing was the dealer I went through. They were small, but not a lot of overhead and no BS whatsoever! When I 1st visited, I saw the truck I wanted in the show room. It was a SC/CC/4x4 LB (red). It was loaded with leather, fog something or another sound system, sunroof,. bed liner, extender etc., etc. Just for the hell of it, I wrote all the specs down and submitted to CR ($15.00)for a report. Based on what CR gave me for dealer costs, plus what I figured in for min. dealer profit, trade-in and a 2.9% rate I went into the dealer the 2nd time, armed and ready!

Without me pulling out any of my "information", the dealer gave me a price of about $8 a month less than what I was ready to pay! No haggling, no BS, no crap......... we signed the deal in 15 minutes. To top it off, I came in a week later to pick it up and the dealer told me that my application was approved but it wasn't processed until the 1st of September. (the special finance rates advertised were thru 8/31/02). I said to myself "oh crap, what is it now?" Turned out that on September, Nissan dropped the rate by another point... saved myself a few more dollars!

I'm 42 yrs old and this has been the only time I've ever purchased a vehicle, new or used, that I felt I wasn't screwed on!! It pays to do your homework and maybe find a small town (low overhead) dealer.

One other thing.....almost 10 months later, I'm still getting weekly compliments on the truck, especially from owners of some very nicely equipped Dodges's and Toyota's.

ALL in All, a very good experience!! Good Luck!

David
  • dtenore1dtenore1 Posts: 3
    Reagarding use of premium fuel for S/C models (92-94 octane)... my dealer said I'd get along fine with 89 octane (mid-range)w/o any problems. I only use name brand gas, and so far, so good.

David
    You still did not say what is your overall fuel economy on the supercharged version of the crew cab 4X4 truck. I keep hearing 15 MPG average mileage with premium fuel. What is the best mileage you get cruising at say 80 MPH with A/C on?
    Can somebody answer the question in the post above please?
    Hi,
    My new truck came in and i have one ? for all with the windows down on the crew cab and driving around 40+, does any one have seat belt rattles, what i mean is the seat belt shaking against it's holder?
    Tks
    Pit
  • soggydogsoggydog Posts: 67
    I have an 01 SE CC 4X4 and averaged 18.7 mpg on a 1200 mile trip, most of which was 80+ mph with the AC on. I think the SC is usually one or two mpg less.

I just made the same trip in a new dodge van and averaged 21 mpg. Do the math if you want, but were only talking a few more bucks.

I guess it just depends on how much you drive. I usually only put on 9 or 10k per year, so a little better gas mileage don't mean much to me
    Hi all
    I have a SE crew cab 4X4 and with the windows down and driving at 30 the seat belt noise is un bearable, does any one hae this problem?
    Happy 4th to all!
    pit
  • gmkrphgmkrph Posts: 12
    My 2002 Frontier 4x4 SC Crew Cab Long Bed has
    27,000 miles on it. It was delivered with
    BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A , P265/65R17 110S
    tires. Owner's manual service schedule strictly
    followed with regards to tire rotation , alligment
    always checked etc. All 4 tires have worn evenly,
    BUT they are worn to the point of, they MUST be replaced ( nothing left )@ 27k miles !
    Michelin and Bridgestone are the only other
    manufacturers making this size. Any recomendations
    on what brand I should purchase ? George
This discussion has been closed.