Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Care and Maintenance

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Severe conditions are using your Echo all the time in stop and go conditions, like using it as a taxi for instance, or using it most of the time on dirt roads, or using it to tow.

Much has been made over the years about the "severe conditions", so much so that from what I hear Toyota is eliminating any confusion by just stating each of these three conditions as a separate category now rather than letting the owner decide, and then listing the specific things that need more frequent attention in each category.

Many new models on the market since 2000, from all manufacturers, have lifetime auto trans fluid as long as you don't tow. This includes most Toyotas (maybe all, I should check that some time). Certainly includes the Matrix and the Celica, which I have owned new. And those models do NOT include heavy stop and go traffic as one of the severe conditions, only dirt roads and towing.

edit...I just looked, and this also applies to the Echo and the Sienna, I looked them up at toyota.com. If I were to check them all I bet I would find that Toyota does not recommend routine replacement of auto trans fluid on ANY of its models any more.
    Now if you tow, it's a different story - then the change interval is 60K miles.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I am willing to invest $ 50 every couple of years and do the transmission drain and fill. It's worth it IMHO.
  • good4good4 Posts: 2
    I don't know if someone on this forum is still willing to provide a 2001 Echo owner such as myself a copy of the workshop manual via a CD, but I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to have this resource for upcoming self-perform maintenance. I can be accessed at archer@lexmark.com Thanks much. :)
  • larshelarshe Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to access the air conditioning filter
    in my 2001 ECHO sedan?

What is meant is probably the in-cabin air filter. It is behind the glove box.
    Well now I'm intrigued. The Echo has filtered cabin air? Are you sure?

Yes. I am sure. I exchanged it a few times myself.

Kneisl: You have the factory manual. Could you give some advice to the procedure, as specified officially?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    1) remove glove compartment door.
    2) release the two claws and pull out the filter case.
    3) remove the filter from the case and install the filter.

Should be obvious what to do once the door is off.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    I'm pretty sure the 2000 doesn't have the filter; I think 2001 and up have it... they always seem to change little things from year to year... Sort of like the 2000 having the Iridium plugs stock, and the 2001 and up came with either regular or platinum...
    Well well, the little Echo continues to amaze me.

Has anyone here installed a rear sway specifically on an Echo? I understand people have found them quick and easy to install on the all-but-identical-underneath Scion xA.

• Hi, I have an Echo 2004 and my left door key lock stop working, if anybody know how to remove de inside door cover and the windows handle so i be able verify the security lock mechanism. Tks
  • Trying to find out where I can sell snow tires we had for an Echo which we sold. Only used one season and would like to sell, thanks
  • prbly 10W-30W.
    i hope u still have ur car.( plz do not go to jiffy lube or any other quick oil change places.) they are notarious for not putting oil back in or somehow messing up resulting in serious damage to ur engine.dealerships tend to charge LESS for an oil change and in my experience do a pretty decent job.
    3000-4000 mi would be much better.6000 mi seems a bit long to go w/o changing the oil.
  • much too soon
    echos have platinum plugs and do not need changing untill u have 90,000-100,000mi.more ways for them too make more $$ off of u.
    i have an 01 as well and am getting ready to change plugs w/95,000 mi.
  • Could you be more specific? Do you mean the upper, smaller glove compartment door, or the lower, larger bin where the manuals are kept?

Also what kind of filter, and where does one obtain it? From a Toyo dealer?
    Thanks,
    drummer
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    The larger lower door where the manauls are kept. Push the two sides together towards each other and the door will slip out.
    Yeah you gotta get the filter from Toyota. Make sure you have one first...theres some question as to whether ECHOs have one at all.
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    Or, if you don't want to pay 30 to 40 dollars for a basic pleated paper filter from Toyota, you can go to the hardware store and buy a cut-to-fit air filter and slide it in the tray. That's what I've done and it does work, while being way less ridiculously priced.
    In my Echo, the filter was $15 at the parts counter at my local dealership. So, not $40. Indeed, about the same price as an underhood air filter would be for a fuel-injected car.

And my Echo certainly has one, although from what little I have heard on the subject, it was optional for some or all model years?

So I was beginning to have the problem that in cold or wet weather my key wouldn't work in the driver's side door lock any more. I went down to the hardware store and paid $3.99 for this little bottle of Lock-Ease which I squirted in there, and it's like the lock is brand new again!

Which also means that for now my Echo remains repair-free for its lifetime, just coming up on 115K miles now.

I'm so glad, I was afraid I was going to have to plunk down the cash for a new lock cylinder plus getting it re-keyed to match the key for the other locks and the igntion. If that ever happens, though, I will take the opportunity to order another key with the large black plastic head, as it seems Echos only came with one.