Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 02 echo, 37K, and haven't had any problems until recently. When I accelorate, there is a clicking, almost a vibration noise, when coming up on 15 mph, and again on 35 mph. But then fine after that. Also when I'm in drive, but stopped, sometimes, mostly in the morning when it's cold, it will do the vibrating, clicking noise. It will stop when I switch into park. I've taken it to a shop, and they've looked it over and can't see anything wrong, and just said the sound was, "weird". I did have a tune up, 30K service done on it recently, but the sound started about 2 weeks after, so I'm not sure if they're related. I dont want to spend a lot of money to have someone take my car apart and not find anything. Has this happend to anyone else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been driving with it for 2 weeks now, without it getting better or worse. Help?
  • I have a 2000 Echo with 168k miles on it. For a long time, while going on the freeway there is cold air coming in on the passagener side. It is more noticeable in the winter due to the air being colder outside. Is there a solution for that? It is a great car and very little maintence has been needed. Please help. Thank you ;)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Have you checked the weather-stripping on that door? That would be my bet - either it is broken, or it is just not working effectively any more due to its age (there will have been lots of door opening and closing in 168K miles!). It shouldn't cost much to have a shop redo the weatherstripping, and it will help keep moisture out of the car too. I assume the air is not coming through the vent, right?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    Did they check the tirs for a bolt or nail in them? That will make a clicking noise. Id also check the boots on the CV joints (axles) If the axle goes bad it will click also but usually on curves.
  • The nose isn't coming from my tires, it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side dash.
    Today while driving it on the freeway, I noticed when I would let off the gas and coast, it would make the sound, but sounded like something was squeeking as it rotated. Taking the car on curves doesn't seem to have any significant effect to the sound, but I'll have the axles checked regaurdless. Thank you very much for the advice. I'll go from here.
  • That is a great idea about replaceing the weather stripping, but the cold air is coming from the center counsol. I should have made that more clear. Thanks
  • I`ve got a 2000 Echo. I had a high pitched squeal when I tried to accelerate quickly, or the weather was damp.

Tried a new aftermarket belt, but that did not help. I chewed that belt up within 2 months. Upon investigation, I found that the power steering pump or water pump, ( I can`t remember at this point) was misaligned with the plane of the belt, causing the belt to ride the edge of the pully. I shimmed one side with a washer and tried a new belt once again. The belt lasted, but still squealed although not as much. I then went with the Toyota belt and have had no problems since. The Toyota belt seems to have a fuzzy surface that rides the pully. I`m guessing that is why it is quieter.
  • I have a 2000 Echo sedan with 250,000 kms on it. Love the car and have never had any mechanical problems. A few years ago I did encounter a slight pinging sound at low speed and low load. It sounded like the timing was off. I know these cars have the variable valve timing and adjustments are non-existent. I did the routine maintenance by changing plugs, air filter, etc. The problem did not completely go away. It turned out to be belts that were loose and slipping. I had the belts tightened in the meantime but eventually replaced all the belts with Toyota parts. All went well until about two months ago. The pinging has returned and now I notice it at all times and all speeds. On the highway there is no pinging unless I put the car under slight acceleration. I never go over 100 kph. I have had the belts tightened and cleaned but the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

Squeaks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Could be carbonization in the combustion chambers (this has the effect of raising your compression ratio) or possibly could be a faulty knock sensor that is supposed to adjust your timing as you drive?

You might try using premium gas and see if that temporarily cures the problem. Using premium might be cheaper than digging into the car to fix it otherwise.

Slight pinging is okay, but continual pinging under load is dangerous for an engine.

• Thank you Mr. Shiftright. I will go with the premium gas solution first. Using premium fuel wouldn't eliminate the carbonization, would it? All the 250,000 kms are highway miles so I wouldn't think carbonization should be an issue. As for the knock sensor....where would it be located and is it just a feature of the computer?

Squeaks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Here's info on a knock sensor and what it does:

http://auto.indiamart.com/auto-part/autopart-k.html

Location varies with the car. Sometimes on the intake manifold or sometimes on the engine near the bell housing. Usually it's "high up".

No high octane fuel won't get rid of carbonization. Some additives claim to do this but I'm a bit skeptical. Heavy carbon is very tough to remove. It's even hard to scrape off with a knife!

• Thank you once again Mr. Shiftright. I hope to find a solution to the pinging in the next week. Once I do I will post the answer.

Squeaks
  • I have a 2000 Echo I had a small exhaust leak it was under the center console so to speak there is a joint there where the exhaust comes out of the motor and bends to go straight under the veh. I took it to a local muffler shop they fixed it for $100.00 it was worth it because I delayed a little and the leak got worse and fumes started to come in the car. I hope this helps
  • Well I did take care of the pinging problem. I had two or three people test drive the car but only one mechanic told me it was the belts. I told him how they were serviced and should have solved the problem. He recommended a pair of Goodyear Gatorback belts. I tried them and he was right.

Mr. Shiftright.....thank you for all your help and sorry to have been such an inconvenience.

At present I am trying to score a sweet deal on a 2003 Echo sedan with 27,000 original kms. We may become a two Echo family.

Squeaks
  • xntrkxntrk Posts: 2
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it hard to locate a place that sells the axle-back, twin outlet pipe exhaust for the Echo Hatchback. I live in Toronto and would probably have to order it ... I know. But even on ebay, on the web in general, I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket hop-ups for my RS.

Does anyone know any places (other than the dealership) that I can order/pick up parts for my RS hatchi? :confuse:
  • In April of 2005 I had to replace Front Rotors on my 2002 Echo at 29,000km at a cost of $112 labor and $110 Parts They were rusted out and could not be machined. I contacted Toyota Canada and after review they sent me a $200 voucher. I now have a 2005 Echo that required front pads, shims, machining of rotors(caught in time), and caliper servicing at 19,360 km (16 months) at a cost of $282.56. I have contacted Toyota Canada again and am awaiting their review for compensation. I have read some other comments and this seems a little too common. I love the Toyota product and quality, but I think they need to reconsider their out sourcing of brakes and brake components. I noticed in message 183 on Sept 20 that "jmrbk" had his rotors covered under warranty at 18,000 km. Is that because they were warped and not rusted. I was under the impression that brakes and components were not generally covered under warranty. Anyway, will get back when Toyota is done reviewing my file.

Keon14 :confuse:
  • jmrbkjmrbk Posts: 18
    Yes, the first time (at 18,000 miles) the rotors were warped and they did cover it under warranty. The second time, they were rusted and I had to pay for new rotors. I wrote a lengthy letter to Toyota in California and they did compensate me $400 (I spent close to $500). The way that worked, though, is once I had receipts totaling $400 or more worth of work at a Toyota service dealer, I could submit them and they would then send me a check for $400. I did that this past December and they did quickly send me the check.

At this point, I am planning on needing to replace the rotors every 18,000 miles (which seems totallly illogical) but Toyota denied any known defects.

Good luck! I will be interested to hear what Toyota - Canada tells you.

Jill
  • My '00 Echo has performed flawlessly from the get go...I have performed regular scheduled maintenance including oil changes (every 5K) and its a great car delivering about 40 mpg. At a recent trip to my Toyota dealer the service manager strongly encouraged the 90k mi service be done by the dealer (at a cost of ~$500). Most of the service I can do myself (air, oil filters, etc) but he insisted that the timing belt required chaging at a cost of $300. Has anyone had any bad experiences with timing belts beyond 100K mi? Should this part be routinely changed on the Echo at 90 K? Seems odd to me but I do want to continue my good service record and continue getting the excellent performance that my car has provided the last 6 years....advice please.
  • Hey Gary, do you want the goods, your Toyota dealer seem to be there for you, except one problem they forgot to tell you , are you sitting ,,, there is no timing belt ,ha its chain driven hows that for service ..nice surprise
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    $500 for the "service" is a total ripoff. PLUS the BS about needing the timing "belt" changed means these clowns are incompetant at best and downright thieves at worst. Were your valve clearances checked at 60k miles? They should be if they werent. Everything else you can probably do yourself.