Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Could be the water pump alo. It could be a bad belt on the wp also. The water pump is driven by the flat of the belt not the V side. So it might be slipping. Check the belt for a fast possible fix.
  • hey, i have a manual transmission hatchback which is working great, 155 000 kms. The check engine light came on last weekend and I'm wondering what experience anybody has had with their '04 echo.The car still seems to be running great. :confuse: I assume the sedan is the same as the hatch (?). Is there a problem i should know about? I change the oil regularly and keep an eye on all the fluid levels. I would be interested in hearing if anybody has something to share. Thanks!
  • Strange thing happened to my little 2001 Echo. I've had it since 70,000 miles, now it's 132,000. The other day i was driving it and the overheat light came on for the first time ever, and shortly after that the "check engine" light went on. I found out the code for the "check engine" light and it said it was a "cooling circuit failure", so i replaced the coolant sensor and the light went away. Problem solved, right? Nope. The engine still overheats after driving for about 5 minutes, but the check engine light has not come back on. The coolant is topped off, the resevoir filled to the line, and the fan works fine. One curious thing is that i had the water pump replaced about 1 week prior to the incident, though no strange sounds coming from the water pump or any apparent leakage. Any guesses?
    Hmm since it overheats about the time you would expect the engine to be warmed up, I would first check the operation of the thermostat. Also, the water pump is turned by the flat, back side of the alternator belt. This is nuts and its easy for the belt to slip and not turn the pump. So i would also check to make sure the belt is tight on the water pump. Tell us what happens!
  • got my check engine light problem resolved, interesting...apparently a hose in the air filter compartment wasn't returned to the right spot (after some dude at mr lube tried to sell me one) also..and this is weird...there was rust around the gas filler neck that wasn't allowing the cap to seat correctly causing some air pressure problems in the gas system??? weird. i have the codes if anybody would be interested in them...
    A non sealing gas cap is a common cause of CEL problems. Howd they fix the rust?
  • knick33knick33 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had an issue with a high pitch screeching noise from the engine when the AC is on. The sound comes and goes but it gets rather loud. Once you turn off AC the sound goes away. I am assuming it's an adjustment to on of the pullys. Can anyone give me pictures or instructions on how to fix problem? Thanks
  • thorin192thorin192 Posts: 2
    My fiance has a 2002 echo automatic. Recently it has started making a clicking noise when you hit the brakes. It will only make the noise when the car is in park and running and the click sounds like it is coming from inside the shifter area on the floor. I have no clue what it might be. Any suggestions?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,695
    Check the belt tension to see if it is loose...also check if the inside of the belt is "glazed" (shiny from slippage).

If you can determine that it is an idler pulley that is making noise, you'll have to replace it because the bearing is shot.

so the only "adjustment" would be a belt adjustment.
  • kvosslerkvossler Posts: 1
    My husband is trying to replace a water pump on my 2000 toyota echo. He is having a hard time getting it out. Is there any way to get the pump out? Is there an easy way to get the new pump in? Thanks!
  • Thanx for the help. Actually it turned out to be a faulty brand new water pump (cracked propellor). So they are replacing it for free, and i'm upgrading to the genuine toyota part. Thanx again, this forum is really useful for a car that has no existing repair manual (why is that?).
    There is a repair manual and I have a copy. I will answer any questions anyone might have about it.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    1 click, each time you hit the brake right???

It's just a relay, doing its job (brake has to be pressed to shift out of park).. Now, everyone is going to be hearing it :)
  • thorin192thorin192 Posts: 2
    Yep 1 click each time. Thanks. I just recently started driving her echo and had never heard it before.
  • good4good4 Posts: 2
    I was wondering how I could obtain the repair manual. Can kneisl1 inform me how best to obtain on? I have a 2001 Echo that will soon be needing a waterpump and belt replacement. Thanks for any assistance. :)
    Its an official Toyota manaul and I belive I ordered it from a phone number I got in my owners manual. In any case you should be able to get one from Toyota. I recall they are like $140!
  • This is my first post so please excuse any blunders I make.
    We recently acquired a 2001 ECHO my daughter in law had gotten into an accident with. My husband has done all the work of fixing it himself. We thought it was ready to go, but a minor complication has arisen and we have found it all but impossible to get any information on. The battery will die overnight because it is trying to activate the transmission solenoids even though the ignition and everything else is off.
    Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanx, blu_zephyr
    Disconnect the battery when you park the car. Connect it up again when you wish to use it. Unfortunately I cant offer any other advice. Youll have to take the car to a pro and I fear that will be terribly expensive.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    How did you confirm that it was the tranmission solenoids?
    Sounds like an odd problem, but wiring issues can be a $#@!.

Where was the car hit? (might provide a clue as to what to look for)
    When repairing, did your husband have to do any electrical wiring work?
  • Thank you and the other gentleman for answering my post. I was at a loss as to what to do.
    My husband took out the solenoids one at a time and tested them. They all seemed to work. I think we have determined it might be the relays. I had pointed them out early on but he had dismissed it because I am not a mechanic. I had only guessed it might be the relays because the plastic housing box they were in was a little tweaked from the crash. Then an mechanic suggested he check them and when he did the buzzing and clicking noises ceased.
    The car had been hit in the front. No, he did not have to do any rewiring mostly it was cosmetic stuff.
    Thank you again, I am looking forward to driving the Blu Zephyr (my nickname for it, it means gentle breeze.)
    The trunk looks big enough to hold all my camping gear especially if I drop the back seats down.