Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pidzypidzy Posts: 12
    For three weeks my Echo has had a intermitent problem where it will not start. I need to boosted the battery to get it started. However, it will not hold the charge for more than a day. It was finally towed to Toyota where they replaced the battery. It held for a week. No it won't work again but with a twist. It will turn the starter and light the lights inside, but that is it.

I did notice that this all started when my radio went dead. It does not work anymore and Toyota is ordering a new one. But they say it has nothing to do with the problem.

Any ideas???
  • I just bought a new 2002 Echo last week, and I love it. I haven't had any problems yet, however, I noticed the other day that there was water dripping underneath under the car when we parked it. It was a fairly good drip, producing a decent puddle beneath the car. I pointed it out to my husband, and he says it's normal when you run the a/c a lot. I have no idea, cos I've never owned a new car, and never noticed it on any other car I've owned...but I've seen it on cars others own. So I'm curious if it really is normal, or if I should be worried and take it in. i've had no warning lights come on or anything, and there's no noises or lack of power or anything else.... Thanks
  • TRUST YOUR HUSBAND ON THIS ONE---HE AIN'T LYING. ITZ SIMPLY CONDENSATION--HAPPENS ON EVERY MAKE AND MODEL AFTER THE A/C IS RAN. I KINDA LAUGHED WHEN U ASKED THAT, BUT TRUST ME, YOUR HUBBY IS RIGHT. THE ECHO IS A WONDERFUL CAR!!! TOYOTA QUALITY!!

MIKE
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Try opening the rear window on the opposite side of the car from the window in front that you're opening. Even if you open it just a crack, often it will relieve the preasure that builds up when you only have one window open. This is a common issue with most new cars regardless of make or model.
  • tbeltztbeltz Posts: 1
    I've had my 2003 Echo with automatic transmission for about a month. Overall, I love the car. However, when the engine is cold (first few minutes after start up), the automatic transmission refuses to shift out of 2nd gear until the engine warms up, or unless I accelerate past 3,500 rpm. My son thinks its normal and that is has to do with the torque converted somehow.

Anyone with some knowledge of this issue, please give me a shout. Thank you very much!
  • imgg13imgg13 Posts: 1
    MY A/C IS REALLY WORKING STRANGE. DURING THE HOT AFTERNOON IT DOES NOT COOL VERY WELL. ITS REALLY BAD DURING STOPPING AND STARTING TRAFFIC. OUT OF THE VENTS I ONLY GET ABOUT 65 TO 70 DEGREE AIR. IF I AM ON THE HIGHWAY IT GETS COOLER, BUT ONLY ABOUT 55 DEGREE'S. (MY FORD MINI=VAN GET WELL INTO THE 40,S WITHIN MINUTES) I CAN RUN THE ECHO FOR EVER AND IT NEVER GETS THAT LOW. ALSO WHEN I STOP AT A LIGHT. THE TEMP. RISES ABOUT 10 DEGREES. THE REALLY STRANGE THING IS THAT AT NIGHT THE AIR WORKS FINE. NICE AND COLD. I HAD IT TO THE DEALER TWICE AND THEY REPLACE MOST OF THE SYSTEM AND CONTROLS BUT ITS STILL BAD. NOBODY WANTS TO BE IN THE BACK SEATS CAUSE ITS TOO HOT!!! ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND HOW YOU FIX IT?
  • Hello, I'm a newish Echo owner who just went through her first "real" winter here in upstate NY with an Echo. The car (and perhaps the driver!) performed pretty poorly, a lot of scary sliding and having to drive at 5 and 10 MPH and still going offroading. No serious incidents, of course, but enough to get me thinking.

I also have trouble with the car hydroplaning and failing to get traction in the rain. For example, stopping at a red light on a wet day means I'll spin wheels for a good 5 seconds before the wheels grab the road. This doesn't happen every time, so it makes me even more nervous that I can't predict it!

I'm still on the original equip. for the wheels on this car, (30K mileage on them, just) and I'm wondering if they aren't just very low quality since the car is somewhat lower end? I know I'll have to get snowtires for NY winters, but I was shocked at the trouble I have even in rain.

Is this a normal experience? I freely admit I am probably a little bit of a lead-foot and have no doubts as to that as a cause, too!

Does anyone have a suggestion regarding good tires, especially for snow? This isn't really a "problem" with the Echo per se but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Thank you!
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    If you spin your wheels on a wet day for 5 seconds either your tires are seriously worn and/or overinflated or you are pressing on the accelerator to hard.

Do you have a manual transmission?

With my 01 Echo, AT, Michelin tires, now at 70k miles I never have any problems starting on a wet surface, not even going uphill. It is difficult to get the wheels to spin.

In snow the car drives beautifully, no problems whatsoever. I purchased a set of inexpensive winter/snow tires @ Walmart and use them from December to March. Where I live - 50 miles east of Vancouver, BC- I get quite a bit of snow and ice in winter and so far my Echo has handled these conditions just fine.

Get new tires, inflate them properly, be easy on the gas when you start and you should have no problems.

Important, slow down when it is wet, don't exceed 50 mph on wet surfaces, go much slower if icy, shift, steer and brake in slooow motion.
  • I would have to agree with Pulgo...

Original Equipment tires are usually not the best. I had Dunlops on my 2001 Sentra as Original Equipment and they were so bad the first winter I drove them. I ended up replacing them after accumulating only 40,000 KM's on them. Pretty crappy. I switched to Goodyear Alleras and have had no problems what so ever. My suggestion is to get new tires and be sure that they are a decent brand with a good tread warranty.
  • Hi there

I've been told that the tires on Canadian Echo's are different than the U.S. models. This has come up before.

I suspect the tire choice just isn't the greatest for the North Eastern U.S. I would suggest you get the Michelins we have or something similar.

I've had mine for over a year now and have no problems hydroplaning or sliding, and I live in Vancouver, where it's very wet, and when it snows, well, you're on your own.

martyn
  • Pidzy, I have had this same problem with my 2000 ECHO. The radio will quit working, and a buzzing noise comes out of the speakers (this buzzing continues when i turn the car off). After that, the car won't start. After taking it to the dealership several times with no success, i went to another shop, where the mechanic disconnected the radio. I have had no problems with the car starting since the radio has been disconnected. So there must have been a short in the radio that made it use power when the car was turned off. So i have 3 choices: I need to either get a new radio, leave the radio unhooked as it is now, or disconnect only the "always-on" power line from the back of the radio (and lose my radio presets every time i park...) Hope this helps!
  • m4ethm4eth Posts: 101
    You must have Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (High Performance All-Season) for your 2004 Toyota Echo Sedan Load Rating: XL These are below average in snow and only average in wet conditions...get these...

Get the Michelin Harmony for all season ( I have these and love them...wet snow dry great tire and smooth riding...

Michelin Harmony (All-Season) for your 2004 Toyota Echo Sedan
    Size: 175/65SR14 Blackwall
    SR Speed Rated Price: $69

If your worried about just snow and ice..then get snow tires for winter use...but I hear they wear out fast

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (Winter) for your 2004 Toyota Echo Sedan Load Rating: XL
    Size: 175/65QR14 Blackwall
    QR Speed Rated Price: $72

Toyota needs to give people a tire option based on where they live and type of driving conditions for the car...this all tire fits all is wrong...most of the OEM tires are cheap and fair weather only. Good rubber is very cheap accident insurance.

Mike
  • It seems that the 14 inch wheels are available in the Canadian Echos, but only 15 inch wheels seem to be offered here in the US. The 14 inch wheel will have more sidewall on the tire, and maybe better snow handling. The 15 inch wheel, with the lower profile tire, may handle better in racing conditions than the 14 inch. It seems to me that a good pothole can dent the rim on the 15 inch wheel more readily than the 14. I would prefer the 14 inch wheel on the Echo, myself. Toyota, are you listening? How about offering the hatchback here in the US, while you are at it?
  • The Scion XA (a new skinned Canadian Echo) is the US Echo Hatchback set somewhat lower to the ground so its less tippy than the conventional ECHO and loaded with all the electronic stuff (power doors locks windows...antilock brakes)...however the Scion Hatch has almost no room for stuff in the back of the rear seats...the Echo Sedan's trunk is actually fantastic for its size.

Scion XA = Canadian Echo Hatchback re-skinned and almost = to US Echo Sedan
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    My drivers side door speaker is not working, Id like to buy new speakers at best buy, future shop etc. and have them install them for me, but it looks like you have to take the whole door panel off??? My civic wasnt like that, just the speaker cover came off. Is this something that is a problem? I just worry that they will take the door panel apart and screw something up. Am I being too much of a worry wart?
  • beartrap,

check the forum under Echo Hatchback.

In cananda there are some nice hatchbacks running around for the Echo. I think it's been around canada for about a year. I don't remember the Cad price, but it equated to about 9-10k US.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/04echo_hb1.jpg

(I really want one)

Here in the US we have the Scion (which is much more expensive, 400 lbs heavier, and uses more gas). The standard Scions seem to be about equal to a fully loaded Echo in options.

The Scions are being sold here in South Carolina, but the Toyota website is asking about 13k... more than I can pay.
  • i know i must be in the minority but i'm hoping someone here can help me. i don't drive my echo very often and find that the battery dies if i don't start it up for about a week. when the battery is charged, all works fine, including the radio as some have had problems with that. when i turn off the car, i leave on the cruise control, radio and air conditioner but these should not drain a battery in a week, especially when the battery is only 6 months old. twice i have taken it to the dealer and they did an elecrical test but cannot find anything wrong. today the toyota dealer mechanic told me that it is not unusual to get a drained battery if it's not driven for a week but i don't believe this. my mazda protege lasted 3 weeks! any help is welcome! hopefully i can get this fixed before it goes off warranty- it is a 2001 with only 17k miles. also, i do not have an alarm, if that is what you think of first.
    thanks. april.
  • m4priusm4prius Posts: 31
    from ABC30.com:

Toyota Echo Recall
    Toyota announced a major vehicle recall on Tuesday. The automaker is calling back nearly 400,000 of its Echo models.
    The company says a faulty rear brake pipe might cause brake oil to leak while driving in snow.

So far, there have been no reports of accidents related to the brake problem.

The recall affects Echo's made between July 2001 and April 2002.

Has anyone recieved notification from Toyota???

Mike
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    This is a very old recall and most cars should be fixed under warranty by know. Mine was fixed almost 2 years ago.

As far as i know, no accidents have been reported due to this minor problem.
  • Hi all!
    I've got a 2000 w/80k miles and discovered an oil leak the other day. took it to the dealer and the rear engine seal has worn out . Any other ECHO owners experienced this? They estimate it will about $1200 to fix. Is it worth fixing?