Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• whitney9whitney9 Posts: 4
    Hi there,
    Did you figure out what was wrong with your Echo? Mine is doing the same stalling business. Its completely random - maybe once a week, after the first stop I come to when the car is still cold it feels almost like it loses power for a few seconds, then it's usually fine for the rest of the day.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Go to AutoZone and have them read the error codes for free. That might put you on to something.
    I had the codes run and they came up with an exhaust leak, which I had fixed. Apparently there is another one and my spark plugs need to be replaced as well. Do you think one of those things could be the issue?
    Yes it could be. But youll find out if it stops!
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    Thing is, if it's really coming from the rear of the car, there aren't CV joints back there since it's front wheel drive.

It might be something as simple as your tire rubbing on a piece of plastic (like the mudflap maybe?) inside the wheel well. It could be brought about by the suspension compressing in a turn one way versus the other until now something's come loose enough that it rubs even in a straight line. It would only be unloaded by turning to the left when the suspension rises enough to keep the tire from touching.

As bad as it sounds, it's probably not apparently obvious, it doesn't hurt the tire much, it just sounds really loud. Kniesl's (sp?) advice is good though too. If you look and can't see anything touching, check out the CV joints in the front. Sound can travel in a car and you may hear it coming from one place even though it's happening somewhere else.
    I sure do hope that solves it
  • I had a check engine light with my 2000 Echo. Took it to Autozone and the code was P0441. I just ordered the canister and vacuum valve from Parts.com for ~$245. and installed them myself. So far no more check engine light! Parts were not hard to install. Canister is under the car in the back behind the fuel tank below the trunk. Three bolts and 5 vacuum lines and one electrical connection to take off. Two of the lines have snap on fits and need to be pryed off carefully. The other there are push on fittings with hand clamps. Th vacuum valve is up front on the air filter top. Two vacuum lines and an electrical plug. Took me about 30 minutes to replace. Hope that helps.
    Congradulations for fixing it and thankyou for posting! Check back in a few weeks if the light is still off. (or if its on, maybe someone can help) Its always good to share your experiences with others!
    Wow. I wish I'd been that lucky. After 2 exhaust leaks, new spark plugs, and a new MAS, my total bill came to about 750.00. However, my Toyota is a 2000 and that is the only $ I've spent on my car (other than regular maintenance of course)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    So I eventually tried the stuff from the Toyota dealer, Turbo Bright or something like that, and it worked pretty well with minimal effort or expense. The bottle cost $10, the headlight lenses are much clearer although not perfect, and all I had to do was wipe the stuff on with an old towel, then wipe it off.

The difference in the amount of light at night is noticeable. Not bad for $10 and 15 minutes. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• ray53ray53 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 echo with 184k miles all origional I just replaced the origional battery, passed smog with flying colors all freeway milles. BUT a few day ago on the freeway it was like running out of gas then it stalled. I towed it home and sprayed some starting flued in and it tried to start. So since all a car needs is air, spark, and gas I figured gas. I replaced the gas pump in the tank and the filter. no go it still will not start, but if i use the starting fluid it tries,,,,help i have spark and air any ideas????
    Did you check the computer for error codes?
  • ray53ray53 Posts: 2
    no I have not the check eng light never came on
  • I have a similar problem to the same question. However the instrument panel lights in the car come on. I have replaced the starter and put in a new battery. Once I turn the key, the clock light dim and I do not hear the fuel pump kick over when I start the car. Any suggestions on what else I can test for?
  • Is this an automatic? Have you jiggled the shift lever? Maybe you have a bad neutral safety switch?
  • Hi All, hope someone can help?, Toyota dealers here in Ottawa not much help,
    I'm looking for a wiring diagram of a 2001 echo tailight wiring, the area were to tap in a trailer wiring harness, i know about the plug in one's, but my trailer has separate turn and brake ( like the car), need color code for wires at the tailight connector in the trunk behind the drivers side trunk liner panel.
    If anyone has this info? it would be greatly appreicated.
    Thanks Tyler ( 2001 echo 4d sedan )
    Turn the signal on (like the left one) and take the bulbs (the socket with the bulb in it untwists from the housing)out until you find the one that is blinking. Then you can see what wires go to it. I use a stick between the seat and the brake pedal when I want the brake lights on for something.
    When you rev the engine on our 2000 ECHO with auto trans and 117k miles there comes a squeek. It does it in Drive while moving and it does it in Park. I imagine this would be the belts. The PS belt is a little looser than the one on my 2001. But the belts were new at 100k miles. Is there anything else this squeek is likely to be? Thanks!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    It has to be an idler pulley, doesn't it? I have a pretty regular squeak now, but mine is only at idle, and just when it is cold out. If it ever became louder or more constant, I would have them go in there and find it, and put a new one in.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Hmmm no there isnt one on the ECHO. The water pump is driven by the flat of the belt sort of like a serpentine belt. Which I dislike no end. (poor grip compared to the ribbed side) I see "Ford" of one of the belts now so they arent Toyota belts ($80 for the belts themselves BTW at Toyota) Im getting a bad feeling its one of the driven accessories like WP, PSP, alternator, or ac.

I just pray its not the tranny!