Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I've got a 2003 ECHO, I hear a rubbing sound in the front when I turn corners - either in gear or just coasting, whenever I turn the wheel I hear the rubbing sound until I finish the turn. I know the tires aren't rubbing against the wheel well but it's the same kind of sound. I was wondering if somehow it's the brakes, I've had other cars where the calipers get weak and they don't release all the way so I would get a similar grinding sound. I just took my ECHO in for it 20K service, I didn't tell them about it at first, I wanted to see if they would turn up something with their checks but they didn't. As soon as I started to drive out of the dealership I noticed it was still there, so I told them about it.

They told me that the tires were rubbing up against the rim. And they had to take the tires off and re-bead them & put the tires back on.

I was like WHA ???

That doesn't make sense to me, a tire is firmly affixed to the rim on the wheel - there shouldn't be any rubbing going on. But the sound went away, but now, a week later the sound is back. I'm wondering if my dealer really did all of the checks on the 20K service or if they just "checked" the boxes off in my manual.

I'm thinking about taking it to a Midas shop to see if it is the brakes rubbing.

My other thought is the bearings?
  • I have a 2003 echo and I have 2 problems. The first one is that in cold weather there is a loud noise like a bad bearing or belt and it goes away after the car warms up.

The second problem is at 100KM an hour there is this buzzing sound that only happens at 100, drives me crazy.

Has anyone else had these problems.

Thanks

Robert
  • deetsdeets Posts: 1
    hi there,

I have a 2002 echo, bought it used last year with about 30k miles on it. Haven't had much problems with it until just recently. I hear a strange rubbing sound on my rt side rear tire when i accelerate over 50mph. I brought it in yesterday to get my tires serviced because the rear rt side tire blew out. When i took off the tire, it was scraped on both sides, or more like shaved off. more so on the outside than inside wall of tire. the hole was on outside wall, and no one could understand what happened. i had 2 new tires put on up front and replaced back tire with old one from the front. today i heard the scraping/rubbing sound and i'm curious to know what you found out about the rubbing sound on your car. front may be very different from back tires, but any info will help!

Thanks, hope all turned out ok...
  • I bouth a used 2000 Echo 4 door in 2/2002 with 26.5k mi. and had it mechanic checked at AAA. They recommended new rotors and brakes which I had replaced at a commercial shop. 2.5 yrs later, I'm having to replace both again! This seems too freqeunt. I'm now up to 58k mi., have a 7 mile 1 way daily commute on back roads with only 2 traffic lights. Does this seem out of line? Recommendations???

A different issue is that the trunk always gets wet with rain. Gasket seems fine. I taped around the passenger tail light where it joins the boddy, and this seemed to reduce it, but I still get water in in that corner. Ideas???
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    I had to replace ECHO brake pads at around 30,000 miles too, although the rotors seemed just fine. I think it may be because the pads are relatively small in size, at least compared to the ones on my CR-V. Small and lightweight as the ECHO is, it's not surprising that the brakes are small....

As for your flooding problem: Does the back seat fold down? (I forgot!) If it does, you could watch the inside of the trunk with a flashlight as a helper douses the outside of the trunk with a hose. Maybe then you'll know exactly where it's coming from.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I just had my front brake pads replaced for the first time at 100k miles and the pads still had 30% left. My commute is 40 miles each way, 50% stop and go, 50% highway.

The better you match your speed to the rest of the traffic, the less you will have to brake.

Look several seconds ahead of you and don't accelerate aggressively.

I am no slow poke and travel slightly above the speed limit most of the time but I rarely have to brake hard.
  • I have a gold 2000 Echo, 4 door, with automatic and 144,000 miles on it. I have only had a water pump replaced at 70,000 miles - that's it! Haven't even had to work on the brakes yet. Rarely get under 40 mpg (winter, it drops a bit). No oil consumption.

But, I noticed the coolant was a bit low last month (nov, 2004) and added about 8 ounces. After letting the car set for 3 days in very cold (~Zero F.) weather, I started it up put it on the ramps to check for any leaks. While it was warming up, I noticed coolant dripping from the upper right rear leap of the oil pan. It stopped after a few more warm-up minutes.

My first thoughts were that maybe the engine head gasket was loosing a good "cold seal", as I've seen this on my '93 Ford 3.8L before.

I only use Low-Tox (green) coolant (changed to it at 70,000 miles). I very thoroughly flushed out the Toyota red stuff.

I'll continue to monitor the coolant loss closely and not assume the worse for now. Doesn't seem to ge leaking from the water pump.

By the way, if you do change a water pump, come up from the bottom - otherwise you'll waste hours on it like I did (at 70,000 miles).
  • i had the same rubbing noise when turning and the dealer said it was the rotors they had a build ou of rust on the oter edges. the dealer fixed it under warenty
  • heenasheenas Posts: 2
    Hello Folks,
    I have a 2001 Black Toyota Echo, my first and only car, it has around 40,000 miles on it, I bought it brand new.
    I absolutely love it and it has given me absolutely no problems unit Yesterday (I think this is also because I get the oil changed like clockwork )

Yesterday on the highway, My dear Echo had a flat tire, I am covered by my insurance for road side service and that guy (road side service guy) says he did not know why the tire gave away, on further inspection he also said that all the 4 tires looked pretty used and may be I should go and get all 4 of them replaced at Costco

So is this something that all/any of you have faced, if so please let me know what tires would you recommend

Or the guy was simply trying to scare me in to getting new tires, so that what would be good for the insurance company

Or is this something I should expect, that Echo tires need changing after 40K

Please comment as it would really help me
    Thanks
    My 01 Echo came with Michelin tires and now at a mileage of 107k miles they still have 6/32nds left.

I think the answer to your question depends on both the brand of tire your particular car came with and the type of driving of the previous owner.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    If you want a good education on how to shop for tires, check out http://www.tirerack.com. They are a good place to buy, and even if you don't buy from them, you'll learn basic information that will be valuable to you if you're buying from Costco or elsewhere. Unfortunately, since I'm not a Costco member I'm not familiar with what brands/styles they carry.

Your tires may have needed replacing at 40,000 miles. My girlfriend has an ECHO and I told her to replace them at 30,000 miles. While you only need 2/32 in. of tread to pass a safety inspection where I live, I feel that traction is compromised before that point. While browsing the The Tire Rack, be sure to learn about UTGQ ratings. If you pick a new set of tires with a higher treadwear number than your original set of tires, they should last longer.

By the way, when you get your oil changed, do you also get the tires rotated? That will make the set last longer.

(Pulgo, heenas says the ECHO was bought brand new, so there's only one owner to point fingers at. :) )
    Thanks for pointing that out.

I am guessing the tires that came with heenas Echo were not Michelins.

In my opinion 4/32 in of tread should be the limit and not 2/32 in.

In a few month I will change my tires to Michelin X Radial DT, available at Costo for $ 82.37 each.

I will go 1 size up to 185/65. It is not a perfect mach and will probably require a recalibration of the speedometer.

But they should last for close to 120k miles (760 treadwear rating).
  • peirheadpeirhead Posts: 1
    Just wondering how your clutch problem turned out..My 2000 Echo has 50,000KM and sometimes the chutch hops after it is fully released coming away from a stop.
  • hello everyone
    i am looking to buy an echo hatchback but am concerned about driving in the snow... does it really just depend on the tires??

Any advice will help
  • lee16lee16 Posts: 1
    This started a while ago and had become progressively worse. Whenever I try to fill my 03 Echo with gas, the pump shuts off as if the tank is full when it's empty. It takes forever to fill my car. I've tried everything, holding the nozzle in different positions, etc... I've asked gas attendants to try it out and nothing works. I really can't afford to take it to the dealership and was hoping it might be a quick fix. If anyone has had this problem and resovled it, or has any idea about what I could do, please let me know. It would be extremely helpful.
  • greenejogreenejo Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have a problem with the engine making a high pitched noise while idling or cruising at low speed? The noise goes away when you press firmly on the gas and accelerate but the moment you come to another full stop the high pitched noise returns. I'm told by the dealer that the problem is just air being taken into the engine and that it is common with Echos. Does anyone else have a similar problem or maybe a solution?
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    you say the "dealer" said it's the air intake. who is the "dealer"? a salesman, general manager, or was it from the service dept?
    have the "dealer" show you other echos that have the same high pitched sound before you accept his explanation.
    i think the average driver can recognize normal engine noises and what is abnormal... so be wary of an off cuff explanation.
  • greenejogreenejo Posts: 2
    A mechanic in the service department of a Toyota dealer told me it was the air intake and showed me how increased fuel intake (or pressing on the gas pedal firmly) makes the noise go away. I'm inclined to believe him (because he was so thorough in his description during the 15 minutes he took to explain the "ins and outs" of the problem.
    However, your helpful words of advice do make me wonder. I'll try another Toyota dealer and see what they have to say.
    Has anyone out there ever heard of or experienced a problem like this? Any possible solutions are welcome.
  • stinkfootstinkfoot Posts: 1
    Lee16,
    I have a 2005 echo hatchback bought new in August 2004. In December, i began having
    trouble filling up the car. since the weather was getting colder, I assumed it was the related.
    But the problem got worse so by early March during my first oil change, i talked about the problem to my dealer. They said they never heard about problem but while the mechanic was changing the oil , he decided to check out the vapor canister near the gas tank to see if it was related to the problem. Well the canister was filled with gas ( not normal ), so he emptied it, blew compressed air in it, and put everything back together. He came to see me in the waiting room and asked if i ever filled my tank to the rim, i said i did once to calculate
    gas millage on a really full tank of gas. He said filling it up to much might have re routed
    some gas into the vapor canister and that it would be a possible cause to the problem. He asked that i fill it up in a normal "fashion" and to call back if i still have the problem. Well let me tell you the car filled up just like it did when it was brand new. No more pump shut offs. No more long fill ups. The problem is now solved. Hope this will help. Good luck buddy.

Stinkfoot