Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2000 Echo as well and have a similar irritating noise when slightly accelerating, with low load (such as u a small hill), once I accelerate and or get more speed all is fine. The Technician at the dealership was not sure as he couldn't tell if he heard the noise or not. I was told that everything sounded mechanically OK and that I shouldn't worry about it, but am concerned that it may lead to a greater problem later.
  • I had a high pitch noise in my '00. It turned out that the wheel bearings needed to be replaced. It's free to check it out.
  • The 2003 Toyota Echo I owned produced a noise from the rear of the vehicle right from the day I drove it off the dealerships lot. I spent numerous visits to the dealership hoping their technicians would correct the problem. I ended up having to take Toyota to arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in my favour and awarded me a buy back.

Has anyone else experienced a noise like this in the echo?

I have detailed my experience with Toyota and the arbitration at link title.
  • Has anyone else experienced a noise like this in the echo?

The 2003 Toyota Echo I owned produced a noise from the rear of the vehicle right from the day I drove it off the dealerships lot. It sounded like glass on metal or metal on metal. I spent numerous visits to the dealership hoping their technicians would correct the problem. I ended up having to take Toyota to arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in my favour and awarded me a buy back. Toyota never solved the problem.

I have detailed my experience with Toyota and the arbitration at link title.
  • I also have a 2001 Echo (5 speed) with 43,000 miles on it. For the past 6 months, it was hesitating in the upper RPM ranges of gears 1-3. I tried about 10 different fuel injector cleaners, but nothing changed. I finally brought the car into Toyota and paid $64 for their fuel injection service. My acceleration and power is much better. I still feel a slight hesitation in the upper RPM ranges but I'm hoping that will improve now that I'm using Chevron gas instead of a "no name" cheaper gas. I've read that Chevron Techron (in the gas) really helps keep the injectors clean. I've also read that if you have injector problems, try putting two bottles of Chevron Techron in your tank and then 1 bottle per tank for the next two tank fill-ups.
  • No, the dealer checked it but never could tell me what the problem is. I think that they think I am some kind of nut, lying about the problem but I really can't think of anything I could or might have done to cause it. Very strange. I'm sorry you have the problem, too, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I feel so validated now! ;-)
  • I have a 2000 Echo and have to change both of my O2 sensor (before and after the catalyst). The part are quite expansive.
    I want to change them myself; Anybody have any experience with the replacement.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    I believe you can get aftermarket o2 sensors for the Echo. Check at a standard automotive parts store. They will cost a LOT less than a dealer charges.

But first...
    Are you getting a check engine light with codes that says both sensors are bad? o2 sensors don't seem to be a common problem on the Echo...
  • Yes I have the engine light on.
    I went to a couple of mechanics and they all say that it was the O2 sensors.
    As for the price I have been checking on the internet and aftermaket sensors are around 30% cheaper than original parts.

There are 2 different catalog parts for the O2 sensor after the catalyst;
    Do you know any way of knowing which one I should buy?
  • jo71jo71 Posts: 1
    we have the same problem on our automatic 2005 echo sedan. Did it ever get fixed?

Thanks
  • Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 echo, and after the first usage of the heater I smelled what I think is prestone. I took the car back to the dealer about a month after and they said they could not smell anything, and did not find any leaks. I do not know if I have just grown acustomed to the smell but I don't know if I smell it all the time now, but I still get an occassional swiff. The point of this is that now that it has gotten cold outside (I am in Montreal Canada) my windows are ALWAYS fogged up. I have to keep the defrost setting on the front {{{{ and the fan on at least 3 just to see out the windshield. My back windows are always fogged over. If I turn the dial to feet (even half feet half defrost) or if I turn the fan down to 2 so my nostrils don't bleed the windshield immediately fogs up.

Has anyone ever had this problem or can suggest a possible solution? (carpets are dry, air vents are exterior)
  • My trunk leaks and the rear window is foggy a lot, probably due to the moisture nearby.
  • I have the same problem with my 00 Echo. It turns out all you have to do is turn the gas pump upside down while filling it up and the problem goes away. So...you put it in as normal and then twist it upside down....
  • I DO NOT NOW IF YOU HAVE A LEAK. BUT I DO NOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE VENT ON FRESH AIR. TO DEFOGG ANY OF YOUR WINDOWS. WE HAD A NEW 2000 ECHO. TRADED IT IN 2002. THEN WE BOUGHT A USED 2004 LAST YEAR. :)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    It would be greatly appreciated if you did not post in all capital letters. It is difficult to read and appears as though you are SHOUTING.

Thanks for you cooperation!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• i am new to this posting thing!!!!!!!!!! :blush:
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    No problem. Welcome to Edmunds Forums! :D

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• When I am stopped with my foot on the brake pedal my pedal will drop 1/4 inch to 1 inch, this happens intermittently. I believe it is the master cylinder by-passing. 2 dealers have looked at it and said there is nothing wrong... but the problem is intermittent. I was told to bring it back at my cost, and maybe if I am very lucky it will happen for them. Otherwise I am expected to spend thousands of dollars to keep bringing the car in to the dealer for a warranty problem that Toyota will not honor. I am very concerned for my toddlers safety. I have also reserched recalls and 2000-2002 echo's had brake problems and the recall's started aroud the fall of 2004. If anyone has any info or has the same problem...I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Hi Toyota forumers,

The picture below is of the cruise control unit from my '04 Echo RS. The cruise has not been working since I bought the car previously enjoyed, from a regional Mercedes dealer.

There was only 15000K on it when I got it, so it is still well under warranty.

Toyota service tells me this is not a Toyota part and therefore can not service it. Can anyone tell me if they've seen this cruise unit on any other Toyota's, or for that matter, any other car? If you have cruise on your Toyota, perhaps you could send me a snap of it, so I can compare it to mine.

If you recognize the unit as not being a Toyota part, but an after market one, and know who makes it, please tell me.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this darn thing serviced, under warranty or not.

Thanks
    Bill

BTW, the picture is of under the hood, looking from the front center of the car, back toward the fire wall on the driver side. The unit is bolted to the front-left wheel's suspension dome.
  • We have after market cruise on 04 Echo. But looks nothing like your. I looked in J C Wittney mag. They have one that looks likes your. :sick: