Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    My 95 Corolla had its first set of brakes at 93,000. At 194,000, its time for the second set.
  • aussieechoaussieecho Posts: 22
    What brand of OBD scanner will work on Echo ? I just bought a Chinese OBD 2 model 380 and when its plugged into the fitting under the dash it reads "Error". I understand Auto Zone have one that works ?
  • niti05niti05 Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem, I took my car to auto zone (by the way I have a 2000 Toyota Echo), they said the error code was the oxygen sensor, I have yet to fix the problem and seems as if it has gotten worse. At first I self remedied the issue by letting carw warm up by waiting for my blue light to go away. That helped out, but as time went on(shame on me--I know) I can no longer maintain speed on the highway and is hesistates like no other, but once I get to 80mph I'm good, but now I'm breaking the law....when I drop speed it drops down to 55/60 and as I press the accelerator I also have to pump or else it will continue to drop speed, or if i try to just press accelorator to maintain speed I might as well be hitting the brake.

Anyhow I have read all the replies and will take everyone suggestions and ask for help 1st and take this info to a mechanic.
  • borgir77borgir77 Posts: 3
    sound likes the spark plugs are worn out. my dads car was doing that.. my check engine went on because i had a missfire. krakato call you tell me how many quarts of motor oil do you need 4 a 2000 toyota echoo. i know it should be 4 quarts but i want that exact mesurement.
  • jsgimpjsgimp Posts: 2
    YES YES YES! My hubby and I just drove home our (new to us) 2003 Echo and to our dismay experienced this same issue while driving on the highway!! Is this a defect in these cars because it was never mentioned when I looked it up pre purchase on consumer reports! It honestly feels like either my ear drums will explode or the windows will. Did you get any answers when you asked others or the Toyota people about it? We certainly should be able to drive with the windows down. Jsgimp.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    This is a problem with most new cars today, now that aerodynamics have become a finely honed, computerized science. At higher speeds they "helicopter" with the windows open. Every car I have had for the last four or five years has done this.

It is often worse in smaller cars, but I had this issue with both of my 4Runners as well. And in my Echo, it is mostly fine as long as just the driver's window is down - have you tried that?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• stdbobstdbob Posts: 14
    I have 108,000 miles on my 2002. Replaced my front brakes at 102K. Rear still had 1/2 life left, but I replaced the shoes anyway (did the brakes my self). It was very easy to do.
    Other than that I had a wheel bearing go bad at 101K.
    Love the car. Expect another 100K miles out of it. 40 mpg still. :)
    I did my brakes my self at over 100,000 miles (easy job). The parts are expensive. I was told that it was expensive because there weren't as many Echos as other cars. I did all 4 wheels including new front rotors for about $250.
    Sounds like a ballast resistor. Check to see if the Echo has one,
    I drive mostly highway, about 28,000 a year.
  • jmrbkjmrbk Posts: 18
    If you've been following my story, I have had the rotors replaced on my 2002 ECHO twice! Both times I had it worked on at the dealer. After the second time, I wrote to Toyota wondering if the rotors are a known problem; doesn't it seem odd that an ECHO with such low mileage should have gone through two sets of rotors; and wondering if the dealer is screwing me (I put it more delicately, of course!).

They (Toyota HQ in CA) called and sent a letter. I then called them back, talked to a rep, again expressed my concerns and they are giving me $400 in credit (rotors and brakes cost me ~$500) towards future service at any Toyota dealer (good for 1 year). I don't really want to go back to the dealer, but ....

My brothers both told me to have my calipers checked, so I'm bringing it in tomorrow.

Will post more with caliper results.
  • jmrbkjmrbk Posts: 18
    Well, the Toyota dealer insists that there is nothing wrong with my calipers, that the damage to my rotors and brakes is simply because I do mostly city driving. I guess I should start saving my $$$ to get the rotors replaced every 18,000 miles.
  • echo_gurlecho_gurl Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck finding a repair manual for an 01 Echo or does anyone know how to change the water pump and fan belt?
  • aussieechoaussieecho Posts: 22
    I paid $ 300 for a 3part manual on E Bay. Its indespensible for working out the hidden tricky attachments, and puzzle clips that hold things together.
  • kosarinkosarin Posts: 14
    when i first got my 2000 echo, sensor kept going on...dealer kept re4setting and/or replacing, but problem kept occurring...finally, there was a techical service bulletin on the sensor and since the re-designed sensor was put in, never had this problem...ask your dealer to look up tsb...might get a new sensor free
  • pbflapbfla Posts: 2
    285,000 miles on my 2000 Echo and I've never replaced the rotors. front brake pads replaced every 120k or so, rear shoes just recently replaced for the first time. admittedly I do mostly highway driving. Warped rotors are typically caused by overheated brake pads, when you brake hard and frequently the pads get very hot, then you press the hot pads down hard against the rotors the heat warps them. So it probably is caused by city driving, you could get more out of your rotors by braking less often and more gently but that would compromise your safety.
  • pbflapbfla Posts: 2
    my sensor was going off for 2 years and 100,000 miles giving me code 171 System Too Lean (translation: you need a new oxygen sensor). Because my car was running fine and O2 sensor jobs are ridiculously overpriced I ignored the light. eventually it stopped coming on, possibly because it burnt out.
  • cranetechcranetech Posts: 1
    Bought my 2001 echo brand new. Around 12K miles the throw out bearing were replaced under warranty. Now there is 76K miles on the car and the noise is coming back but not as bad. I have the 100K mile warranty. Went to dealership and said bring it in in a.m and we will check it out. Is there anyone out there that has this problem with 01 Echo. This is the only problem this car has.
  • aperianaperian Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 echo. at 100,000 miles my engine check light came on on a day when the temp was over 115deg outside. the light had never come on before. i replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAS with electrical cleaner (non residue only) and then reset the check engine light.

after this happened i realized that i had had the same cold slow speed stalling situation for a couple of weeks. this resolved the stalling and the check engine light.

a year later the stalling started again. also it is really bad if you have a cold engine and have the a/c on. anyway i checked the air filter and it was dirty. i cleaned the MAS and everything is fine again.

i think the older engine is more sensitive to dirty air cleaners and old MAS units. my o2 sensor also may be old and that might be part of the problem?

also i dont know if you had the 'stutter problem' around 30,000miles but i had the head replaced on my engine under warranty. the stutter would take place cruising on the highway. acted like the engine shut off for a second. it was the computer sensors on the valves.

also never touch the MAS sensors just spray them. the wires will break really easily.
  • aperianaperian Posts: 2
    FYI - i have a fairly expensive dc2ac converter which worked well in my jeep but when i started using it in the echo i has blown the tail lights and several fuses. i think the echo is a bit sensative. the converter is the type that plugs into the cig lighter.

watch the power drain on the accessories you plug in!