Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Mazda 3 S offers scant interior storage, but what it does have is cleverly designed.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    There's a design flaw here that is incredibly common. The power and connectivity ports are at the bottom of the console. This seems fine when you're talking about a brand new car, an empty car, a rental car, or a car getting passed around among auto journalists. But when most people own a car for a period of time, this console starts to fill up with stuff and those ports become harder to reach. Also, the weight of whatever junk you have in the console will rest on the plugs and possibly damage them or the connectors. These ports should be relocated, possibly to the top of the console.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    legacygt, I don't think they are actually at the bottom. I think that is just the way it looks from the angle of the photograph. On my Mazdas the shelf with the plugs is just recessed from the top of the console far enough to allow for room for the ends of whatever is plugged in to fit under the console cover.
  • fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    zim is correct, the ports are actually about an inch away from the top of the console, the tray showing in the pic is hiding the storage area underneath that's about 5-6 inches deep.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "(cue the chorus of "but it's a driver's car!")" More like the chorus of "keep the key and your wallet in your pocket." Car has keyless and everyone has toll transponders so you don't need your wallet, either. Does Edmunds even get the concept that keyless means you don't have to be taking your key fob out of your pocket anymore to begin with, hence you don't need a place to put it in the car? My one car has keyless, and I cannot for the life of my figure out why I would want to be touching the key fob at all, until I undress to go to bed.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    fordson1, I'll sometimes take my wallet out while I'm driving because my Mazda has really solid seats so I can feel it. But I have to agree on the key. Mine doesn't have the auto unlock as I pull on the door handle but even then I just reach in my pocket and hit the button (since I don't drive a dozen different cars it is easy to remember which button) and I love the fact I don't have to have the key in my hand as I open the door and get settled in the car and can't imagine a reason to want to have it out.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Plus half the time, I'll bet these folks who tuck the fob into some cubby end up getting out without it, trying to lock the car by touching the spot on the door handle...and of course the car won't lock, and now it's beeping or flashing lights, then they realize what's going on and open the door again, retrieve the fob, etc. Basically keyless start and lock systems were designed to be used with the key fob staying on the person driving the car...so these people are trying to outsmart/use the system in a way it was not designed for.
  • nutellaprnutellapr Member Posts: 5
    I removed all the manuals in the glove box and replaced them with digital versions that I loaded onto my phone. It would be great if the manuals were accessible via an app on the Mazda Connect touch screen.

I do miss the sizable door pocket found on my former 2004 Mazda3. I also miss the very tiny but usable ashtray that I used as a trash bin. I'll buy a small fabric trash bin and hang it somewhere.

I also purchased the cargo tray for my hatch. Sadly there's no space for cargo management like in the first generation GT model. I'm looking at getting a foldable 3 storage bin for the back to hold stuff. The floating cargo tray (OEM accessory) is a terrific idea to add a lot of interior storage that's hidden from view.