Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Dodge Ram

Comments

• ericgericg Posts: 38
    Hopefully i will be ordering my 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad sport off road by monday.

thanks for your help

oh ya do you know how much the off road package is?
  • eric16eric16 Posts: 38
    Your link to the production information showed that diesel engine was on hold untill 1/5/00 is this a different motor than the current cummins 5.9L? Thanks for your answer on the hubs.

Eric 16
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ericg,

DC has not revealed option prices yet, just the base vehicles. The option prices won't be ready for a week or two from what i understand.

eric16,

Yes, the ETH Cummins engine is new. The current ETC will be dropped at that time. The ETH will have more hp and torque, and is expected to solve all of the previous drivability issues experienced since January of 98. Same config, 5.9L, 24 valve, EFI. The rumored power output is 245 hp and 505 lb-ft of torque.
  • jagadakoojagadakoo Posts: 1
    I just learned from my salesman that the new quad cab in 2000 ram is 3.5 inces longer..
  • west3west3 Posts: 7
    KCRAM, etc,

I have been told that the Allison transmission will NOT be offered on the 2000 Ram. Sourced from http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/072399.htm

Any other information that contradicts this that is more reliable?

Thanks.
    yeah, I talked to the editor of car-Truck today. Not good news on the automatic front - we'll have to wait til the redesign (2002) for a heavy duty automatic from Mopar themselves.
  • jarheadjarhead Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info again. I thought the Allison trany was the 6 speed. I want the 6 speed manual. the color Sierra bronze does not show a hold anymore! cool. the 6 speed manual says extremely limited availabilty? any idea what exactly this might mean in terms of my order for such? Thanks again for all your answers. I am trying hard to hold out for the 2000, due to the color, rims, and 6 speed manual. I hope its worth the wait.
  • jarheadjarhead Posts: 8
    Kcram, you mentioned that the new ETH Cummins is supposed to solve all the driveability issues from the current model. is there something I should know before buying the ETC Cummins for my 2000 Ram? thanks
  • captrccaptrc Posts: 11
    whats wrong with these dealers cant get anybody to call me back with price trying to get price on dodge 2500 4x4 short bed v-10 loaded to the hilt any comments on the v-10 going to get the 3-54 rear hoping that will help on milage if i get 10 mpg that will make me happy read all the postings someone said cab is going to be bigger is it true
  • RichinKsRichinKs Posts: 416
    I have been looking at the V10 also. I can see your reasoning for the 3.54 rearend. But doesn't that kill its towing capacity? I talked with a guy pulling a big three slide out 5th wheel and the 4.10 or 4.30 rearend and he said he had plenty of power and got 8.5 mpg towing. That is not bad towing. But I agree the V10 doesn't do to well solo.
    But how would the 5.9 gas with the 4.10 compare to the V10 with 3.54. I bet the 5.9 would have better acceleration solo and pull near as well. Any comments? Rich
    thanks for the tow ratings, BUT it does seem the V10 is going to have less acceleration with the 3.54. My point is would it be acceptable while towing? But how about acceleration comparison between the 5.9 and V10 with 4.09 vs 3.54? Dodge is different than Chevy in that the tow rating stays the same no matter what the gear ratio with Dodge but you must admit with a heavy 5th wheel the 3.54 may be a poor performer. It does not seem logical that the 3.54 and the 4.10 would perform the same on hills or stop and go driving pulling even a moderate weight 8,000 fifth wheel. Anybody out there towing? ...... Rich
    If I only keep it 3 years and 45,000 miles I find it hard to justify the cummins. Even fifth wheelers that full time don't tow that much. They may stay at one location for months. ...... But the V10 with the 4.10 it seems will get poor mileage solo. The cummins whlie getting high fule mileage is offset by frequent service and high initial cost. My fifth wheel is borderline for the 5.9 gas and will probably get as poor a mileage as the V10 while towing, but what kind of mileage would it get solo with the 4.10? ...... Rich
  • captrccaptrc Posts: 11
    richinks captrc i know it doesn:t make sense that the 3.54 4.10 tow ratings are the same but for me i will only be towing 2 mos out of the year and i will sacrifice a little bit of towing power for the extra gas milage havent bought my fiver yet because of the same reason i haven:t bought my dodge. no 2000 pricing available going to go to the harrisburg show in sept to see all the 2000 models trying to stay in the 30 ft range with 1 slide going to go out west in 2001 and then alaska possibly the year after
  • wiz1wiz1 Posts: 18
    I had a 99 6 speed ordered since Feb 2, but they were on restriction. They came off restriction late in May/June, shortly before the cutoff date for 99 orders. My dealer agreed to order a 2000 for the same quoted price of the 99. The 2000's have the 265's, upgrades to the brakes, supposedly different wheels (aluminum ?). I did not hear about the new "patriot blue". What's it like compared to the "brilliant blue" offered in 99?
    I might just kill this order, since I've heard so much rumor with the ETH engine, scheduled to come out 1/15/00. My dealer is not aware of it, but has no problem with me backing out, since he's looking for a 6-speed truck. He said he'll keep it. I just don't know how firm the ETH option is. This is a good info site...I'll be back.....Wiz1
    Wiz,

The ETH Cummins engine is still scheduled for January - it is expected to have enough of a poweer increase that only the 6 speed can handle it.

As for Patriot Blue, it is a deep royal blue, as opposed to Intense Blue, which is a lighter, brighter shade - both are metallics, of course. Patriot Blue is currently a Durango color, so you can see it now if your dealer has one in stock, or click here to see the Patriot Blue Durango from the Dodge website.
  • wiz1wiz1 Posts: 18
    Thanks for the update, especially on the colors....Tough choice to make. I'll have to go and see one in person
    WIZ1
  • Wiz1,
    You can also check out the patiot blue on the '99 JEEP Grand Cheorokee's. Looks real nice. From what I hear from the others, its not available with the Sport Package.
  • rufarcirufarci Posts: 5
    kcram, thanks for all the info, where are the different 2500 rams assembled? I heard the extended cabs are asssembled in Mexico and the regular cabs in the US?

does anyone have real world milage estimates for their Cummins? I've heard of older 4x4 auto getting around 26 on the highway?

plus, are the maintance costs more for a diesel than a gas--I have a 460 Ford, and I've been checking out the Cummins for a while.

I'm glad to read a

conference which hasn't turned into a "my car vs

your car" fest.
  • biknmikebiknmike Posts: 27
    I read on the cummins diesel site that someone just took delivery of a 2000 3500 cummins. Sounds like we might start seeing them on the lots soon.
    rufarci,

Here are where Rams come from:

Warren, Michigan (Dodge City assembly plant)
    - Ram regular cabs
    Fenton, Missouri (St. Louis North)
    - Ram Quad Cabs
    Saltillo, Mexico
    - Ram Quad Cabs
    Lago Alberto, Mexico
    - Ram Club and Quad Cabs (the 1500 shortbed will be available as a 2-door Club for 2000, all other extended cabs are Quads)

My truck is a 1996 3500 Club 4x4, Cummins, automatic, 3.54 axles with rear limited slip. My real world mileage is this:

summer winter
    city/suburb 15-17 13-15
    highway 19-21 17-19

my best tank is 24.3 - cruise control set at 57 mph for a 265 mile road trip.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
  • djevansdjevans Posts: 7
    I HAVE A 97 2500 EXT.CAB 4X4 WITH THE V-10 AND 3:50 GEARS. I PULL A 6000LB TRAILER AND IT WORKS GREAT. FOR ME I PULL A LOT OF GRADES AND THE HIGHER GEARS LET ME CRUISE UP HILL AT 55-60MPH AROUND 3500RPM IN SECOND GEAR. REDLINE IS 4500RPM SO THE MOTOR IS JUST PURRING ALONG.I AVERAGE 7-8MPG PULLING UP AND DOWN HILLS AND 10MPG ON FLAT LAND AT 60MPH. SOLO DRIVING GETS ME BETWEEN 10.5 AND13.5MPG. I ONCE GOT 15.1 MPG ON ALONG 225 MILE RUN WITH NO STOPS, NO A/C AT 65 MPG EMPTY. I DONT CARE WHAT GEARS YOU PUT WITH THE 360 ENGINE IT WILL NOT STAY WITH THE V-10. MY DAD HAS A 97 FORD WITH A 460 AND I RUN AWAY FROM HIM IN THE MOUNTAINS. I`M THINKING OF BUYING A NEW RAM WITH THE CUMMINGS BUT I LOVE THE HARD PULL OF MY V-10
  • djevansdjevans Posts: 7
    THIS IS MY FIRST DAY ON THE TOWN HALL LINE, I THINK THIS IS GREAT. IN MY ABOVE MESSAGE I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WITH ALL THIS INFO ON THE 2000 MODELS I THING I`LL WAIT A LITTLE LONGER...
  • clundyclundy Posts: 1
    On the 5" being added to the Dodge Quadcad in 2000, how much additional leg room will you get????????
    Any projections available on how much the new engines will improve the gas milage for 4x4 applications?
    Thanks in advance
  • markcordmarkcord Posts: 113
    There seems to be a lot of talk about this 5" QC increase. I'm not 100% sure but from what I read there were a handful of prototypes but none are being produced. My guess is that if you're looking for a bigger cab you'll have to wait for the redesign in 2002.
  • I am in the process of ordering a loaded 2500 4X4 Quad Cab with the V10. Originally I loaded it by adding to the 28G Quick order package. However the new 28H Quick order package seemed to be a better deal (leather included, Power passenger seat, heated seats, etc). In addition both carprices.com and the Dealer worksheet faxed to me indicated the SLT Plus decor group is part of the 28H package. However, the dealer went ahead and ordered the truck and said there was a $2090 charge (MSRP) for this option (Code ATK). Does anybody know whether or not this option (ATK) is an additional charge or am I being mislead by the dealer? I turn to you RAM'xperts for help.
  • I am in the process of ordering a loaded 2500
    4X4 Quad Cab with the V10. Originally I loaded it by adding to the 28G Quick order package.
    However the new 28H Quick order package seemed
    to be a better deal (leather included, Power
    passenger seat, heated seats, etc). In addition
    both carprices.com and the Dealer worksheet faxed
    to me indicated the SLT Plus decor group is part
    of the 28H package. However, the dealer went ahead and ordered the truck and said there was a $2090 charge (MSRP) for this option (Code ATK).
    Does anybody know whether or not this option
    (ATK) is an additional charge or am I being mislead by the dealer? I turn to you RAM'xperts
    for help.
  • Sorry for doubling up the message. Er, guess its
    tripled now.
    Meathook,

If you went by the listings at carprices, they are WRONG. They listed the SLT package price at the SLT Plus group as well (notice they were identical). Also remember, the wording at the SLT Plus listing that said "2000 package price to come". If you go to carprices.com now, you will see they have removed the 2000 Dodge Ram "pricing".

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
  • I posted this on another Ram board, but this one seems more active. What kind of gas mileage are you all getting with the 5.2 (318) and 5.9 (360) engines and is there much of a difference in acceleration and overall power? Would you all call your Rams reliable and have you had any problems? And lastly, does it handle and ride well in day-to-day driving?
  • I have the 318 in a 1500 sport reg cab and short wheel base. I drive mostly city, short commute to the office in Sacto. I get great acceleration. MPG runs about 14 overall. I have not done any trips over 30 miles with p/u that I could give over the road mpg. I have a 27.5 ft 5th wheel (6900 lbs - empty) and when I pulled it up through the hills on 101 I got avg 8.4 MPG. I'm looking at the TD or V10 for trade up in January-February timeframe.

tfcav
This discussion has been closed.