Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

I am trying to decide whether to wait for the new rx8 or buy a car now. I hear the RX8 will have around 250 hp, what kind of 0-60 stats do you think this will yield? My guess the best would be arounf 5.5.

What about fuel economy, from what I saw the last of the rx7s got about 21 mpg (17/25) and Mazda is saying they will significantly improve on this. What do you think this car will get?

How was the rear window vision in the old rx7s?

How have the gear shifts been in mazdas?

Comments

• I forgot to ask before about the RX8 expected cost. I'm thinking about 30K, is this reasonable?

How has been the reliability of the rx7 line?
  • And I'd like to know if those awesome open-mesh design seats seen in the EVOLV concept will be sold on the production model?
  • should answer a few questions and also has a bunch of nice pics.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Mazda@$RX-8c.html

When i first heard about the RX8 coming out, i was thrilled. I new it would be a winner, with all the recent hype over japanese rockets. What amazes me most is how they squeeze so much power out of a normally asperate, low displacement engine- honda s200 watch out!! The suicide doors are badazz, the funky interior is awesome, and 17 inch brakes are insane. If i had 30K right now and was a college student, guess what i'd be buying...
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    "If i had 30K right now and was a college student, guess what i'd be buying..."

Hopefully an education..
  • I love the rotary engine since I got an experience of it in a RX-7.... I would guess that the mpg probably be 2mpg higher for both city and highway. That would be significant enough for me to trade in my car!
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    "If i had 30k and was a college student".... huh?

I geuss you meant "...was not..."
  • college students should be driving beaters anyway.... sheeesss....
  • rx7r1rx7r1 Posts: 17
    the Rx8 that is...I'll hold on to my 3rd Gen Rx7 R1 thank you very much!
  • I'm looking forward to the new RX-8. But the market is going to be tough when it comes out. There will be allot of vehicles to choose from including: 350Z, G35, WRX STi, Evo VII just to name a few. If Mazda can keep the weight and price down, they might have a chance. Mazda proved they could make a superior handling car in the MP-3. If they can work that magic again, I will certainly consider the RX-8. I like the idea of a light, fantastic handling car that can seat 4 real size people! The question is can Mazda do it without pricing themselves out of the market.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    I read in Car and Driver (I believe) that the weight Mazda is shooting for is 2900 pounds, achieved by use of aluminum hood, trunk and rear doors. Also, the HP is just under 250 (247 or 248). And the price is $30,000 or less. (They really had to do that, in my opinion, to match the 350Z.) So it all sounds good, if it really turns out that way!
  • it would be great if those sportscars could keep their prices down, but GM couldn't do it with the latest generation of Corvette.... we all hope that prices won't skyrocket pass 40k.
  • Has anyone heard anything about the performance numbers of this vehicle as well as what the weight of the final production version? The only way Mazda can hope to compete with the 350Z or the WRX STi is to keep the weight as low as possible. I think it might be a good idea for Mazda to offer a turbo version as a performance package. If the normal version will produce close to 250 hp, then a turbo version should crank out 300 hp without too much difficulty. Even a light-pressure turbo might be an interesting way to increase low end torque without putting too much stress on the engine.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/Articlesmazda.aspx

"With a new side-intake and side-exhaust layout, the engine produces 250 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque."

No performance numbers listed though...

• cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    I think that they are trying to get the performance number in line with the previous generation RX-7. That would be just fine with me.
  • babyloubabylou Posts: 31
    The rumour is the RX8 will come in at 2700 lbs. I would be amazed if this is true. I bet it's about 3,100 lbs.
    well, the RX-7 is about 2800 lbs. They supposedly use very light seats among other things. So I would say that the RX-8 could easily be under 3000 lbs.
    No way will the RX-8 weigh 3100 lbs. They are using aluminum for the hood, trunk and rear doors plus other weight-saving items. I'd bet it will be under 2800 lbs.
    I would definitely get it if it can be under 2800 lbs.. that would be very tossable on the track or around the curves.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Will 2800lbs be enough weight reduction? The new Z is 3200lbs but has a big advantage in hp and a whopping advantage in torque over the RX-8. At 2800lbs the RX-8 would have a great top end but I'm not sure it would a whole lot faster than even an RSX-S off the line (which weighs the same/little less and will have similar torque numbers).

I'm not sure how competitive the RX-8 can be if it stays normally aspirated. Help me understand, why are they junking the turbo again? As someone else said, this would be killer with a low-boost turbo. Without it, the RX-8 stands to be an overpriced, underperforming vehicle by the time it actually comes to market.
    My understanding of why there will be no turbo is that the RX-7 turbos heated things up to such an extent that the apex seals needed replacing at about 100k miles. This replacement is an overhaul of the engine and thus quite expensive.
    With the larger side intake and exhaust valves, the renesis produces as much hp as its predecessor, but as you point out, not much torque. This engine has very little displacement and torque is a function of displacement. So it'll perform like the S2000, I expect; maybe a little better.
    Somebody who knows RX-7s better than I can correct me if I'm wrong.