Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Hey everyone,

I am close to getting my RX-8, hopefully in the next couple of weeks here. I am trying to decide whether to buy or lease. Do you guys really believe the residuals posted here on Edmunds? It seems with all the continuous rebates being posted that the resale would suffer terribly. Buying seems like a great deal now because of these deals, but if you get killed on the way out then it wouldn't be so hot anymore...you guys have any thoughts on this?

Elian
  • synisyni Posts: 4
    So close... tried to get one today, but I couldn't drag these guys under 32K for a fully loaded GT... so how are you guys doing it?! I want to know! I'm going on Friday, so please give me tips if you can! :D
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    Wait a few weeks until the 2006 models are out. This will give you huge leverage. Also, just go to carsdirect or a simmilar site - let them negotiate for you. Sure, it's $200 or more than you ould probably haggle them down to, but there's no having to go through that(and get lucky by finding the rare ethical dealership)

Yes, it's literally days or weeks until the 2006 models come out.
  • synisyni Posts: 4
    I really can't be patient now. I was borrowing my parent's car, and now I need a car to go back up to San Jose, or I'm stuck here. So yeah...
    No, seriously. We're talking a few days or a couple of weeks at most. A 2005 for 4-5K off, just like you want it - that's worth waiting. I'd rent a car to make the trip back.
  • elianelian Posts: 4
    Are you close to LA? Galpin Mazda here has been very aggressive about their pricing scheme for people who contact them through carsdirect.com; you really should be patient since you are talking about $5k easily in difference in price, plus taxes on the difference, plus interest on the difference in financing! That makes the difference easily $7k when everything is included, which generally is worth a bit of hassle and time...
  • Hi guys,

I've had my 8 for quite a while and am in need of some new tires. The Potenza RE040s that came with the car were very nice (on dry) until about 8k. Then the noise started. Kept them rotated and balanced... no alignment issues, but by 12k the noise was irritating as hell. Due to this and the excessive quickness of tread wear, I don't think I'll be replacing these tires with potenzas. I was wondering if any of you had any +/- advice on tires you've used.
    I like the Michellins. Get some good all-seasons on it - the stock tires are mediocre at best for wet or slightly slippery roads(inch of snow will just about make them worthless).
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    Tirerack.com has an Avon all seasons for $136. These tires have nice ratings technically. Customers seem to like them too. Tread pattern is aggressive looking.

What's the practical tread wear on 225/45 18" wheels? I don't see anyone getting more than 20K.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Check the latest issue of Car and Driver. They do a fairly in depth test of 11 different high performance tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252&page_number=1

The Bridgestones (RE050 in the test) ranked 9th. Michelin Pilot Sport ranked 4th (with decent tread-wear but a bit pricy). The top ranked tire was the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 with very good dry performance, outstanding wet performance, good tread wear and a decent price.
  • Thanks for the input guys. The C and D article was very interesting (tks rorr). I was leaning towards the Kumho ECSTA SPT... will probably pass since the ECSTA MX tested near the back.

Yea, I've been all over tirerack.com for the past week... (also tks trispec). The Avons are a definite option... although I didn't see any 225/45/18 in the Tech M500 line. For what it's worth trispec, I've got 27k on my potenzas at the moment... of course, when it rains now, I'm pretty much riding around with the grim reaper. Should have replaced them at 15-17k... and I hear these tires are bad for wear.

Ok guys, same topic, different question. You think there would be any problems using lower profile tires... say 225/35 or 40 vs. 45s?... (speedometer calibration and tire pressure sensor issues?). Also, is it possible/safe/reasonable to put wider tires on the stock rim... say 255s?
  • Didn't mean to say 255s in the last question... 235s is more like it. :)
    The problem, though, is that the RX-8 isn't a sportscar - it's a couple-looking sports sedan at best. You'd be better with good all-seasons on it unless you are really flogging it on a racetrack or something.
    OK, I've had this NOT a sports car thing thrown at me my whole life. It's COMPLETELY in the eyes of the beholder.

To some, sports car means strictly, a balls to wall racer. To others it's any coupe no matter how big. It means two seater only or it means huge engine displacement in a compact car.

Professional car critics in many of the major car magazines compared the RX-8 favorably to the Boxer and the Vet. That's enough for me.
    Yeah, I've used Kumho tires in the past; thought they were decent tires. That C&D article opened my eyes a bit. Problem I had with the article was that there was no discussion regarding noise levels or tire comfort. But I thought they did a decent job of grading the tires based on wet/dry performance, tire wear ratings, and price. I also liked the fact that the driver used was a tire test driver for a tire manufacturer (someone familiar with and sensitive to tire test issues) who tested/rated the tires without knowing the brand (blind test).
    "The problem, though, is that the RX-8 isn't a sportscar..."

What the RX-8 "is" or "isn't" is completely immaterial. What matters is how the car owner intends to treat his car and the tire selection should go by his criteria.
  • Ah, a tangent. "Sports car" seems a vague title to me. I know it has four seats and could maybe use another 30-50hp, but that doesn't mean I'm going to slap tires on it that would be more suitable for a sedan. It's certainly no Lotus or anything, but it handles a bit better than the 350Z (at least the one I've driven)... if you consider that a sports car.

Anyway, the potenzas that came with the potentially quasipseudosemi-sports car were supposedly "high performance" summer tires and I'd like to at least stay in that category. Weather isn't much of an issue where I live, so I don't think I'll be shopping for all seasons. Tks though plekto.
    Thanks for the validations folks on what a sports car is.

I'm of the age, near 50, where fun, comfort and practical mean heaps more than attempting to to push the performance features of my RX-8 AT. I got no reaction time left anyway.

The stock summer tires failed on me while up in Maine over Thanksgiving. Maybe failed is to strong, because the Edmunds forums had warned of the Potenzas issues on even the slightest of slushy snow covered roads.

Traveling 35mph on route 1 north just out side of Portland, my RX-8 rear end let go while in fourth gear. I got control of it after swerving back and forth three times. I probably over compensated in steering at first, but NO DSC lights flashed and the LSD did not do it's vibration thing.

It was 32 degrees F and plenty of traffic to keep things slushy. There just is literally no place for the slush to go on those Potenzas so the tires are lifted up. Then because the rubber is so hard it shears through the compacted slush rather than bend over and around it.

The Avons I'm getting are a softer compound with flow through treads. They rate better than most all seasons in the slush and wet stuff. Bad snow will still keep my RX-8 in the drive way I think, but mostly it's the slush on the hills that I'm worried about.
    My point was that it's not really a true sprotscar. That is competes even somewhat well against them is a testiment to what a fine car it is. Afterall, for $24K after a bit of haggling, you can drive one home - and get 90% of the performance of a 350Z or BMW. From a car not really intended to be a direct competitor. It's why I love the car. It reminds me of my old Volvo 240 turbo I had in college. Not a BMW - but man it was close for a lot less money.

That said, most people can sacrifice a little performance for all-seasons (or get the top 3-4 choices in the review). Better rubber made the car handle quicker and faster. But $160-$180 a tire every year is a bit steep.
  • Yea, calling it a "true" sports car may be arguable. Personally, I'm not bothered by it either way. My point is that I feel the handling characteristics of this car is its strongest attribute and I don't want to lose any of it to tires. I need new tires that will at least match the handling/traction performance of the factory potenzas, at lower cost, better wear and lower noise. Hell, I think I'd even settle for bad wear if they would just be quieter than the potenzas. You know how it is... I just don't want to cough up 500-800 bucks for tires I'll end up hating. Tks for the help guys, and keep the ideas coming.
    If you want to paste the text below into an Excel spread sheet, the data for these performance vs all season tires will layout nicely. This is how I chose the Avons.

cut -----------------

BRAND

Bridgestone Bridgestone Michelin Michelin Pirelli Pirelli Yokohama Dunlop Dunlop Kumho Yokohama Avon Michelin
    Potenza RE050A Potenza S-03 Pole Position Pilot Sport Pilot Sport PZero Nero PZero Rosso Asimmetrico ADVAN Neova AD07 Direzza DZ101 SP Sport 8090 ECSTA SPT AVS ES100 Tech M550 A/S Pilot HX MXM4
    Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall

Size:225/45YR18 Size:225/45YR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45ZR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45YR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45YR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45VR18

PRICE $211.00 $223.00 $207.00 $232.00 $215.00 $212.00 $245.00 $129.00 $238.00 $99.00 $156.00 $136.00 $219.00
    PERFORMANCE Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Ultra High Performance Summer Ultra High Performance Summer Ultra High Performance Summer Ultra High Performance Summer Ultra High Performance All-Season Grand Touring All-Season
    CATEGORY
    SPEED RATING YR YR WR ZR WR YR WR WR WR YR WR WR VR
    TREADLIFE WARRANTY None None None None None None None None None None None None None
    HANDLING RATING 9.4 9 8.9 8.9 8.6 8.5 N/A 8 N/A N/A 8.3 8.5 6.6
    DRY TRACTION 9.4 9.2 9.1 9.1 8.9 8.8 N/A 8.5 N/A N/A 8.6 8.9 7.1
    WET TRACTION 8.5 8.7 8.1 8.1 8.3 7.6 N/A 7.5 N/A N/A 7.8 8.9 5.8
    SNOW TRACTION N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 7.8 4.4
    RIDE COMFORT 8.4 7.8 7.7 7.7 8.1 7.3 N/A 8.5 N/A N/A 7.4 8.8 6.7
    NOISE COMFORT 8.3 7.6 7.3 7.3 8 7.2 N/A 8.1 N/A N/A 7 8.8 6.4
    WEAR 7.2 6.6 6.7 6.7 7.3 5 N/A 8 N/A N/A 6.6 8.8 6.2
    TREADWEAR RATING 140 220 220 220 220 220 180 300 280 320 280 360 300
    TRACTION RATING A AA AA AA AA AA AA A AA AA AA AA A
    TEMPERATURE RATING A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    Here are the Winter tire vs All season comparisons. Just copy the text below and paste into Excel.

cut----------------
    BRAND

Bridgestone Bridgestone Continental Dunlop Pirelli Avon Michelin
    Blizzak LM-22 Blizzak LM-25 ContiWinterContact TS790 V Winter Sport M3 Winter 240 SnowSport Tech M550 A/S Pilot HX MXM4
    Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall Blackwall

Size:225/45VR18
    Size:225/45VR18 Size:225/45VR18 Load Rating: XL Size:225/45VR18 Size:225/45VR18 Size:225/45WR18 Size:225/45VR18
    Load Rating: XL Load Rating: XL

PRICE 223 198 198 178 198 136 219
    PERFORMANCE Performance Winter Performance Winter Performance Winter Performance Winter Performance Winter Ultra High Performance All-Season Grand Touring All-Season
    CATEGORY
    SPEED RATING VR VR VR VR VR WR VR
    TREADLIFE WARRANTY None None None None None None None
    HANDLING RATING 7.8 N/A N/A 8.1 8 8.5 6.6
    DRY TRACTION 8.1 N/A N/A 8.3 8.2 8.9 7.1
    WET TRACTION 8.3 N/A N/A 8.7 8.4 8.9 5.8
    SNOW TRACTION 8.9 N/A N/A 9.2 8.5 7.8 4.4
    RIDE COMFORT 8.1 N/A N/A 8.5 8.2 8.8 6.7
    NOISE COMFORT 7.6 N/A N/A 8.2 8 8.8 6.4
    WEAR 7.8 N/A N/A 8.4 8.1 8.8 6.2
    TREADWEAR RATING NONE NONE NONE NONE .ONE 360 300
    TRACTION RATING NONE NONE NONE NONE N/A AA A
    TEMPERATURE RATING NONE NONE NONE NONE N/A A A
  • ...or all seasons at the very least. Get rid of those stock tires if you have any kind of snow.

There was about 12 inches of snow yesterday in Kansas City with about 1 to 2 inches on the pavement. And my stock tires were COMPLETELY USELESS! Running at 20MPH on flat roads, my car slid left and ride at the rear end. It was difficult to steer it back to a straight line. At about 300 feet away, I was afraid I would crash into the oncoming car even at that speed. :surprise: The car's light weight combined with those worthless stock tires were enough to force myself into spending $840 on a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. I'm not taking any chances on all seasons.
  • ukjimukjim Posts: 63
    Singing to the choir I know but nice to see the car appreciated by others. January 2006 edition of Car & Driver voted the RX8 the best sports coupe. Does this put to rest what the car is (or isnt)?
  • elianelian Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, has anyone seen any 2006 yet? I thought they were supposed to be here by now, but I have yet to see a single one, and it is nearly 2006....did something happen to production?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    There are too many in stock - production was due to start this month. Expect to see them in jan or feb. 2006.
  • I have a 2004 RX-8 GT with the Bose in-dash 6 CD changer. I've noticed that I cannot play most, if not all, of my CD's that I've burned off my computer, using either Windows Media or iTunes. I keep receiving a "check CD" error message. However, the CD's play just fine in my other car.

Can anyone help me with what may be going wrong or what I need to do?

Jake in Orlando
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    has anyone seen any 2006 yet? I thought they were supposed to be here by now, but I have yet to see a single one, and it is nearly 2006

The factory rep told me that the 2006 model year will be very short for the RX-8...There is talk about only doing a Shinka for 2006 and maybe a limited run of regular versions. At this point they need the production space for cars in high demand.
  • Elian
    I hope you have researched the problems that will surely come with your RX-8.
    We purchased a 2004 in Oct. of 03 and it has been in the shop no less than thirteen times, twice it had to be hauled to the shop for repairs.
    I have an appointment with my attorney tomorrow to investigate the possibility of invoking the Texas Lemon Law.
    Instead of you being concerned over rebates and/or leasing versus buying, I certainly would suggest leasing, at least this may give you a way out.
    Jkeith2
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138

I hope you have researched the problems that will surely come with your RX-8.

Sorry to hear about your problems but the 2005 model is recommended by Consumer Reports...According to them the 2005 is alot better than the 2004.