Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    interesting. i didn't know that. i never got past the fact i can't fit in the RX driver's seat. maybe they should take away from some of that rear seat room so taller drivers can buy the car, too.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I'm only going by what the specs say since I haven't actually tried the Accord Coupe (not terribly interested in FWD anymore). Also, the specs show the RX8 to have more FRONT head and leg room than the Accord Coupe. Of course, I'm sure these are specs for a non-sunroof RX8. Also, I realize that specs aren't everything and that only trial fit will show if a car is acceptable or not.

Be that as it may, I'm 6'-0" (most of my height is in my legs), slim, and fit fine in the 8 (both sunroof and plain versions). Also, I think the clamshell door design works well for letting kids in/out of the back seat. Mine seem to like climbing in/out of the 8 better than every other coupe my wife and I looked at during the last car show. When I test drove the 8, I thought it handled/braked quite well; but I thought it needed more oomph. It was pretty quick, just not as powerful as 238hp had led me to expect.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I'm 6'5". I didn't have a problem with headroom in the 8, just the leg room. I only tried the top-level Accord (eg, power seat) and fit with room to spare. So, like you said, the numbers don't always tell the whole story (especially since the forward and aft tilt on a power seat makes a HUGE difference in terms of me fitting in most cars).

When I was looking, I wasn't concerned with the backseat (hence I wound up buying a 350Z at that time).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• thelthel Posts: 767
    I'm not really looking at coupes per se...I like the RX-8 b/c it has the suicide doors for better acces to the back...almost like a sedan. Other possible candidates were the aforementioned WRX (no moonroof until 04), Lancer Evo 8 (haven't driven one so who know's), Mazda3 / MS Protege / Mazda6 (FWD is a negative for me), and the Lexus IS300 (preferably 02 or so for the manual).

Most of these cars have limited back seat space according to the spec sheet but the RX8 seemed to have less than the 32" figure here on Edmunds. The IS300 shows 30". The WRX isn't much better, but seemed to be more than the RX8. The 3, 6 and the Protege all have the most...but it's due in part to being FWD.

I may try to get back to the dealer with the rear-facing car seat to see if it will fit at all. If not, the RX8 will have to be off the list. Anyone out there have any luck putting one back there?

Thanks again for the input!
  • Mazda adveritises rear-facing child seat will fit, so you should have no problem
    I think 'will fit' is highly dependant on the fore/aft location of the front seat. I would recommend that the rear-facing car seat be tried in ANY car being considered regardless of perceived leg/head room by an adult.

Also, consider the difficulty in actually placing/removing the infant seat rather than just front seat comfort with the car seat in place.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    It's positioned wrong. Trust me - it's unviewable when you are driving - it's behind your head, so it's essentially a waste of space and money.
  • I am considering both of these (also the 350z... but I haven't driven it yet).

1st I drove the WRX, I have to say - initaily climbing behind the wheel I was unimpressed (the best feature of the interoir is ironicaly, the wheel!) The gearshifter felt sloppy and cheap.. it was all very plasticly. After a few stoplights though :) very fun but as others have said: unrefined.

2nd was the RX-8. Now this is what a sports car cockpit should be like :)

(interesting side note, the sales man showing me the WRX and the RX-8 was clearly a subaru guy. For some reason he made me sit in the seat of the RX-8 while he crouched outside the passenger side mirror and kept asking "can you see me?!" not sure what this was supposed to prove to me, I could still see him, and this was the 2nd subaru salesman to give me this 'demo')

On to the drive :)

If the subaru is a wolverine, the RX-8 is a fox. The gearshifter was smooth and precise, bliping the throttle sent chills down my spine... oh and the wonderfull sound of those little rotors screaming their way up to 9,500 RPM. When the WRX dug its way out of corners, the RX-8 simply sliced through effortlessly.

Unfortuantly the dealership was about to close before I could drive the WRX STi, or the 350z. But the RX-8 is now at the top of my list.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    Nice write up. You certainly can't go wrong with any of the cars you're looking at, but me thinks you caught the RX8 "bug". That's really hard to shake.... :shades:
    It's called a 968 :)
  • Hey everyone,

I am close to getting my RX-8, hopefully in the next couple of weeks here. I am trying to decide whether to buy or lease. Do you guys really believe the residuals posted here on Edmunds? It seems with all the continuous rebates being posted that the resale would suffer terribly. Buying seems like a great deal now because of these deals, but if you get killed on the way out then it wouldn't be so hot anymore...you guys have any thoughts on this?

Elian
  • synisyni Posts: 4
    So close... tried to get one today, but I couldn't drag these guys under 32K for a fully loaded GT... so how are you guys doing it?! I want to know! I'm going on Friday, so please give me tips if you can! :D
    Wait a few weeks until the 2006 models are out. This will give you huge leverage. Also, just go to carsdirect or a simmilar site - let them negotiate for you. Sure, it's $200 or more than you ould probably haggle them down to, but there's no having to go through that(and get lucky by finding the rare ethical dealership)

Yes, it's literally days or weeks until the 2006 models come out.
  • synisyni Posts: 4
    I really can't be patient now. I was borrowing my parent's car, and now I need a car to go back up to San Jose, or I'm stuck here. So yeah...
    No, seriously. We're talking a few days or a couple of weeks at most. A 2005 for 4-5K off, just like you want it - that's worth waiting. I'd rent a car to make the trip back.
  • elianelian Posts: 4
    Are you close to LA? Galpin Mazda here has been very aggressive about their pricing scheme for people who contact them through carsdirect.com; you really should be patient since you are talking about $5k easily in difference in price, plus taxes on the difference, plus interest on the difference in financing! That makes the difference easily $7k when everything is included, which generally is worth a bit of hassle and time...
  • Hi guys,

I've had my 8 for quite a while and am in need of some new tires. The Potenza RE040s that came with the car were very nice (on dry) until about 8k. Then the noise started. Kept them rotated and balanced... no alignment issues, but by 12k the noise was irritating as hell. Due to this and the excessive quickness of tread wear, I don't think I'll be replacing these tires with potenzas. I was wondering if any of you had any +/- advice on tires you've used.
    I like the Michellins. Get some good all-seasons on it - the stock tires are mediocre at best for wet or slightly slippery roads(inch of snow will just about make them worthless).
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    Tirerack.com has an Avon all seasons for $136. These tires have nice ratings technically. Customers seem to like them too. Tread pattern is aggressive looking.

What's the practical tread wear on 225/45 18" wheels? I don't see anyone getting more than 20K.
    Check the latest issue of Car and Driver. They do a fairly in depth test of 11 different high performance tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252&page_number=1

The Bridgestones (RE050 in the test) ranked 9th. Michelin Pilot Sport ranked 4th (with decent tread-wear but a bit pricy). The top ranked tire was the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 with very good dry performance, outstanding wet performance, good tread wear and a decent price.