Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... have me take care of it during winter. I'd do it real cheap too. Maybe even free :)
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Here's a good one for you. My friend's RX-8 is registered in Alberta as a "4 door coupe". For those who don't know, a coupe is a two door hardtop, a roadster is a convertable, a sedan is a four door, etc. We had a chuckle over this one. Motor vehicle department, indeed!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I've tried to close the front doors while the back ones are still open. It's very clear they won't shut in that scenario. You immediately know that the back doors aren't shut since the front doors "bounce open" again.

Truthfully, I don't know how anyone would accidentally make the mistake of trying to shut the front doors (since they won't shut) without closing the back doors first. It's clearly obvious that they won't shut. I suppose someone could intentionally try to shut the front doors and then try to shut the back doors on them, but it wouldn't be accidental that they tried to do so. All that said, why they would want to try it is a mystery since it's very obvious that's not the way they are supposed to work....even for a 12 year old.

The interior, being mainly black will show some scuff marks, but they are easily cleaned. I use a plain old water dampened cloth and the scuffs come right off.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Here's the solution: don't let your inattentive daughter and her friend ride in your RX-8.

Seriously, spell it out: if they damage it, they're responsible for getting it repaired it to like-new condition. I wonder how much something like that would cost? Probably at least a couple hundred dollars if they slammed them hard enough to require a little metal-work (probably some new plastic trim too) and a repaint.
  • Options
    cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    ok...I have an observation and wanted to know if you all have this 'problem'. I have driven my RX8 on few longer trips now (3+ hours) on the Interstate or Turnpike. Now, this problem never happened to me while I drove my sedan or jeep, but since I got 'Shima', my RX8 has become a magnet for this behavior. I will be driving, cruise on, doing 75 to 80 MPH....no biggie.....I see a car up ahead and I am slowly catching them. Once I get up to the slower car, I get into the left lane and start to pass. Now the problem. The other driver, all of a sudden, decides that he/she needs to be driving faster than I am! For miles, they stayed a constant speed, but oh no, not going to let the little red RX8 pass them! So now I either have to break the cruise and speed up or slow down. Speeding up is no problem, but usually it becomes a 'race', which I don't want to encourage. I usually slow down, but then end up catching them again and we repeat this same dance. And the worst ones are the the people in mini-vans! (sorry mini-van people) I swear, the mini van sales people must tell customers that the "Odyssey handles just like Corvette! And has the same acceleration too!"......does this happen to you all too?...or am just cursed?....

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!
  • Options
    I've noticed this when driving my 3rd gen RX-7. About half of them are just looking at your car. The other half are idiots. Had one guy in a Voyager, full of his family (6 or 7 people) and pulling a trailer pass me on a 100 km/hr highway (2 lane) which was pretty much full of cars/trucks all doing 120 km/hr. Took him about 3 km just to build up speed. I just let him go (as in "get AWAY from me!!). He then passed the guy in front of me, etc. etc. After 150 km down the road he was 5 cars ahead of me. Taking chances like that is really idiotic. His van couldn't brake or accellerate properly because it was loaded to the hilt and pulling a trailer.
  • Options
    I guess it's human nature to want to challenge the RX8. Just last night I had a guy do the same thing that happened to cheeze. Only difference this guy was driving a Hyundai Sonata.
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I've noticed this behavior when driving my Prelude. And I too have noticed this from repressed minivan drivers (usually guys) who seem pissed off that they're forced to drive a minivan.

However, if you just downshift and floor it, these annoying drivers usually give up somewhere around 95 MPH :).
  • Options
    Many people are just like that. I think it's related to the "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm driving.

The only solution I've found that works is to pass them at a great enough speed differential on my second attempt. They usually don't notice me until I'm already passing them and then they can't build up enough steam to keep up with me until I'm already several car lengths ahead. Most will not even try. Most who do give up after several seconds. A few will stomp on their gas pedals until they've passed me. I figure they've got issues and ignore them and go about my business as usual.
  • Options
    carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Graphic/Cheeseboy - Didn't i mention this about mini-van drivers some posts ago? Guys in mini-vans are known for this. They are bitter and they are looking out for you RX-8 (and all other sports cars) drivers! The problem is you are forced to race them. I just couldn't deal with a person in a mini-van getting ahead of me because I chose to be extra cautious. Any other kind of vehicle, I could say to myself, "oh, let this guy have his moment in the sun....I'll lay off the accelerator", but not when a mini-van driver is next to you. I suppose it's just what they represent to me.
  • Options
    golf_nutgolf_nut Member Posts: 12
    Took the RX-8 from Raleigh to West Palm Beach to visit my sister and her family for Turkey Day - 735 miles each way.

Loaded up the whole family - wife, two kids and small dog along with enough luggage for a four day trip. I'll admit it wasn't the most comfortable trip, but the car is practical enough to be used for a trip like this. The kids are small so they had no problem in the back seat. The dog is only 15 pounds so he was fine too.

I got about 22-23 mpg on the highway. Car performed great. Maybe a bit sluggish loaded up like it was but I still had enough juice to pass all those annoying minivans!

I did experience the low oil light coming on intermittently at high speeds. I could get the light to turn off by making an abrupt lane change. Oil level was fine when I checked.
    I'll have my dealer change out the oil pan on my first sevice visit next week.
  • Options
    ok...ok....I apologize for even bringing this subject up!...I didn't think I was the only one with a mini-van problem, but this is too much!....LOL....good thing I didn't even mention the "I look like an 18 wheeler, but I am really a Porsche in disguise" truckers!.......

and to top it off, I was talking to my brother-in-law and he just informed that my sister's red convertible Sebring is 'just as sporty as an RX8'. I said, "Oh...really?....ok...but when was the last time you guys took a 25mph curve at 60?"...his response was, "well, why would you want to do that?"..

I can't win.......cursed I am.......
  • Options
    NOt a minivan, but a guy in a Cadilac STS.

I'm on the highway, headed to the mall for some early Christmas shopping (early for me, anyway).

After my typical "blast through the gears" on the "on ramp", I notice the STS gaining on me as I settle to about 5 MPH over the 65 MPH speed limit. The STS decides to get right on my bumper while I'm in the slow lane. I speed up to 75, he's still on my bumper. Go to 80...he's still there.

I move to the middle lane...he moves with me.

Finally I pull into the fast lane, drop it to 4th, hit about 103 and he quickly became a small and getting smaller spot in my rear view mirror. He closes in a little bit, but I kept going until he backed off. I drop back into 6th, settle back down to 70 MPH and continue my cruise to the mall.

disclaimer....kids, don't try this at home.
  • Options
    cheeseboy - The question (why would you want to) that your brother-in-law gave you explains why he has a Sebring convertible and not an RX-8. He might as well have asked you, "why do people like driving fast?"

graphic - Obviously, the guy in the Cadillac STS knew he couldn't beat you. Did you get a chance to see the age of that person? I have no idea what the demographics are on those kind of Cadillacs these days. Next time, I would just brake to the slowest speed possible until the guy gets the point and stops his wishful thinking by tailgating you.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm sure RX8 owners will be happy to hear this. Car and Driver has added the RX8 to their 10 best list this year. Another interesting winner was the Toyota Prius.
  • Options
    I just read this article on autoweek.com that was pretty funny since you brought up mini-vans:

BMW BORING? NEIN - Let's get one thing straight: BMW will never make a minivan "because they are just plain boring," says BMW AG Chairman Helmut Panke. "Our customers can always rely on one particular thing: We do not build and we never will build boring cars," Automotive News Europe quoted Panke as saying. "We will focus on premium - only on premium." But while speaking at a dinner with British journalists in London last month, Panke admitted that although there will be no minivan, BMW is looking at what he calls a "space concept."
  • Options
    Regarding the STS, the driver was probably my age (40ish), maybe a bit older. I had always thought that STSs with the Northstar DOHC V8s were supposed to be "barn burners".

Yes, C&D dropped the 350Z from the "10 Best" list and replaced it with the RX8.

Why wouldn't BMW get into the minivan business? After all, they're in the SUV business now. It's a lucrative market populated mainly by "mommies". Can Porsche be far behind?
  • Options
    graphic - Could you see a Porsche badge on an SUV? Now, that's funny.

As for the RX-8 replacing the 350Z, it's no surprise. Every magazine I've seen which has reviewed both vehicles has picked the RX-8. The value, the fun and quality is all there. Whether you read C&D and R&T or Consumer Reports, they all pick the RX-8 as the better buy. Nissan just cut too many "quality" corners in order to bring up the performance. Also, the 350Z isn't that good of a buy when you take the really cheap interior and jarring ride into consideration for a vehicle that reaches $35K decently equipped.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    but I've heard that ALL of Mazda's rotary cars have made it to C/D's 10Best ever since they started making the list back in 1983 (this means all 3 gens of RX-7 plus this year's RX-8) is taht true???
  • Options
    Stranger things have happened, like the AMC Gremlin, for instance (though it did fit into its rather unique stable of vehicles). :)
  • Options
    Yes....every gen of RX7, and now the RX8, have been on C&Ds "top ten" list. I don't think there was a C&D "top ten" list when the roataries were first introduced by Mazda.

carliker....I thought it was pretty funny when Porsche decided to make an SUV....so, I suppose, a Porsche minivan doesn't seem so "out of reach".
  • Options
    carliker...I saw that article too! and don't hold your breath that the "space concept" will not be a mini-vanish car/truckster.....

and about the Cayenne. Down here in South FL, I see a lot of these things. I must say, they are darn speedy. I prefer to let them pass me and not get into the way of the soccer mom/dad with a lead foot who is late for their kids game!.....

and GGuy....didn't you say once that you wouldn't let your teenage son drive your RX8? I hope you don't let him read your posts here at Edmunds!! He will think his pop is a crazy-man driver...oh...wait.....too late!!...LOL!!....(I am disappointed in you - only 103?!? - come on! I know you can go faster!!..heehee)
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    That was more cajones than HP that won that showdown.
  • Options
    ... Golf Nut, I'm sure your folks LOVED the abrupt-lane-changes-to-eliminate-the-oil-light ;)

And C&D traditionally (by design) considers only new or substantially redesigned vehicles. The 350Z is last year's model.

Much as I love the RX-8, and think its cooler than the Z, the Z didn't have a chance of being on the 10-Best ... really :)
  • Options
    ashuto...gotta disagree about C&D 10 best. There are many, many repeats. For example, the Accord has repeated many times with the same gen, as has the Corvette.

About cajones....I would have taken the RX8 all the way to the speed limiter if I had to. STS kept riding my bumper. Of course, you could say I was less than rational being willing to hit nearly 150 MPH to "distance" myself from him. Fact is, he couldn't (wouldn't) gain on me once I decided to drop a gear or two.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    yup. The WRX has already been repeated on the list (even before the slight redesign). 10 best is 10 best, no matter what. Its usually car of the year that requires new or substantially redesigned.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ... I stand corrected. One of these days, I might SIT corrected - at the wheel of an RX-8. I'll finally test drive one when I take ni my 6 for its 7.5K inspection!
  • Options
    While VERY slow off the line, you would have had to hit the limiter to get away from me. It's top speed of 140 mph would keep me in the hunt. That's the bad thing about pride I guess. It easily overrides common sense.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The episode with the STS reminds me of the "Beep-Beep" song from the late 50's early 60's, for those of you old enough to remember. After a scenario like GGuy described, the 2nd car pulls up and rolls down the window and the driver yells..."Hey buddy, how do you get this car out of 2nd gear?" Very apropos.
  • Options
    evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    They include last year's winners and any new or substantially updated models in the comparison. And that's nearly a direct quote. They still have last issue's articles on the web site, or I'd post a link.

But what's important is that the RX-8 won, right? <grin> And it had to beat out the 350Z to do it.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    There is a huge annual AJAC Canadian test fest where journalists around Canada choose Canada's car of the year. This year's event took place from Oct 29-Nov 2. Mazda had 4 cars in the 4 categories and WON all 4!

- Mazda3 sedan Best New Economy Car
    - Mazda3 Sport (hatch) Best New Sports Coupe or Sedan < $35,000
    - Mazda6 ('04 model in Canada) Best New Family Vehicle
    - RX-8 Best New Sports/Performance Vehicle

The overall car of the year will be announced later but the odds have got to be for a Mazda. From what I've seen, odds on favourite is the Mazda3.

Mazda Canadian sales are going to take off.
  • Options
    Wow, I wonder who the competition was? Other Mazdas? I'm skeptical when car award categories are swept.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    There were 10 categories in total and Mazda's were only in 4 (but all 4 won their respective categories).

This competition is most definitely not a scam of any sort - it's Canada's most prestigious competition because all the vehicles were tested on the same days at the same place.

The RX-8 category included:

Sports/Performance

Chevrolet SSR
    Dodge Viper SRT-10
    Mazda RX-8
    Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG
    Nissan 350Z Roadster
    Subaru Impreza WRX Sti
    Volvo S60R
  • Options
    Nothing against the RX-8, but how do you group those cars in the same category? They are totally different vehicles at totally different price ranges. When consumer reports does testing, they at least group the vehicles with similar performance/price. That's why I can't take that award very seriously.
  • Options
    They all sound like fairly comparable to me, they just emphasize somewhat different priorities, but I think they're all sports/performance oriented.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    i can stretch my imagination pretty far, but pitting a heavy and slow faux-pickup truck (obviously I'm referring to the SSR) against a Viper is pretty goofy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Are the automotive equivalent of lightning. And the STi even has 4 doors for a dose of civility.
  • Options
    mikeinmdmikeinmd Member Posts: 23
    I did not follow the RX-8 early in the year...does anyone know when the first solid info appeared on Edmunds or other chat boards?
      Looking at the 2004 but would like to know what tweaks (any little issues, additional colors, etc.) may happen with the 2005 model.
      My current car is an Acura and they intro new car around Sept - any educated guesses when Mazda will intro (or release on about) the 2005 RX-8?
       P.S. Had an RX-7 from 1984-92 and loved it.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    began appearing at dealerships around late August, IIRC.

so I'd assume 2005 cycle will begin somewhere around that time as well.

improvements from 04 to 05? Nothing I've heard, yet.
  • Options
    I forgot what it was.

It's clearly a "boulevarder".
  • Options
    claytondennis1claytondennis1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey, some of us need a minivan and we're not all idiots. I love my Protege, and drive it whenever I can (215,000 miles so far). But there are times when I need my minivan too. I'm on my third one now: '85 Vanagon, then '93 Eurovan, now '03 Odyssey. The leading candidates to replace the Protege are the RX-8 or Honda S-2000. BTW, the Odyssey is the performance minivan.
  • Options
    "That's the bad thing about pride I guess. It easily overrides common sense."

G35...oh, how true that is.....

C&D also called the RX8 "magical" (their term, not mine).
  • Options
    mazdafun - "fairly comparable" I don't think so. The Viper (two seater exotic) is nothing like the Mercedes AMG. The RX-8 and STI are nice cars for their price, but compared to a Viper or high end Mercedes? C'mon. There is no comparison. Even on the best value side of things, the Viper is a decent value compared to other high performance exotics. The SSR in that category is just down right silly, too.

claytondennis - No such thing as a "performance minivan". I know that the Honda salesperson probably told you that it was to get you to buy it. Better hurry up and get that RX-8! There is absolutely no reason why minivans need to exist --- SUVs look better, are faster, have off road capability and can carry the same cargo. Plus, most don't even ride like a truck these days and gas mileage is improving. Perhaps I'll agree with you concerning "performance minivan" when either Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti decides to make one.
  • Options
    This needs to be discussed on another section, however, go look at an Odyssey, for example. You can carry 4X8 sheets in there. Nothing like a SUV. Each vehicle has its' purpose.
  • Options
    Since when can't an SUV carry 4x8 sheets?

Anyway, has the gas mileage improved for the RX-8 over time for those who have it for a few months now?
  • Options
    My MPG has steadily improved as I've gone past 3K miles. I'm getting exactly what my sticker says I should be getting....18 MPG in town and 24 MPG on the highway. I'm getting 19 MPG in "mixed" driving.
  • Options
    revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I finally test drove the RX-8 and I am very impressed.

I was expecting that the engine would have to be revved really high to get any power like in most 4 cylinder sporty cars I have driven. It wasn't like that at all, the car pulled strongly thoughout the rev range (and there were 4 people in the car!). The brakes felt really good and the pedal was very responsive. The steering was sharp and direct. I would prefer maybe a little more communication, but comparitvely it had better feel than any new car I have been in. Handling of course was beautiful, you can really feel how balanced the car is on the first bend you enter. It felt very solid as well and the build quality is superb.

imo Mazda did a bang up job. I think this is the most attractive 30k sports car on the market right now. If I could afford one I would be tempted...
  • Options
    my update sounds like a broken record - I, too, am getting what the sticker said after 4000 miles. Mine is the AT version, but shouldn't make a difference anyway....

Also, while others here <cough>GGuy<cough> may drive at top speed, I prefer to take curves at above the posted speed - I made a new personal record tonight. I took a local, posted 25MPH Off-ramp/Cloverleaf exit at 62mph.....I love this car.......
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    OT but....

"Since when can't an SUV carry 4x8 sheets?"

My wife's 4runner certainly qualifies as an SUV but the only way I could carry a 4x8 sheet is after 2 passes with a table saw; one rip cut and one cross cut. I think you have to get up to Expedition/Sequoia/Suburban territory before you get 4x8 capability.....
  • Options
    sroc2004sroc2004 Member Posts: 15
    Greater Boston received its first snow storm. Happy to report that RX8 did fine on partially cleaned or uncleaned roads with Blizzak snow tires. The car slides sideways a bit on uncleaned roads or roads that have deep snow (& muck) ridges from traffic. But it all feels very controllable and the car does not slide or spin out of hand.

Only problem - don't like how those ridges sound against the underside of my car. Hope no lasting damage - will have underbody washed more often.