Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    For those who haven't yet seen it, the most recent Road & Track just did yet another review of the RX8. Again (as many others), they compared it to a G35C. For all intents and purposes, their performance was "neck and neck".

One tester said they didn't like the styling of the RX8. The RX8 was lauded for it's "oneness" with the driver and its interior compared to the G35C (which felt "heavy and hamfisted" in comparison....something I always felt about both the 350z and the G35c). They also "dinged" the RX8 for MPG (I wish they would get one that's broken in before they test).

They loved the RX8s tranny/shifter and described it as one of the best on the market. Then there's the always alluring love of the RENESIS' sound and smoothness.

No matter....as always, the RX8 won the review.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kimmerkimmer Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to these forums and have read several with interest. Thanks for the info on the long term tests - haven't been able to find them anywhere else on the web! I am trying to decide between the RX8 and the Honda Accord V6 6-speed coupe. Yes, they are different cars, but my essential criteria are concerns about oil/engine maintenance with the new RX8 and fuel economy (is it that BIG a deal for average driving distance annually?) versus the Honda which has the same horsepower, wonderful tranny & gold historical maintenance. The RX8 fits me like a glove and drives like stink. I am moving out of my 1990 Integra, which has been nothing but outstanding in performance & maintenance (it's almost a family member!). Want to keep this car for a long time and a great time, so would appreciate your comments. Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    well, i'll try and give you a bit of feedback in relation to my driving impressions of the Accord and leave the RX8 owners to let you know about their vehicles.

The accord is... well ... an accord. The handling is pretty average, and I found the shifter rubbery and clutch springy. Pretty disappointing to me that the company that produces the tranny and clutch in the S2000 also makes the one they've placed in the accord. Really not much of a driver's car at all.

The good side to it is the gas mileage and the interior. I would say that the resale value and reliability are strong points, too, and they are, but tough to compare to the RX8 since only time will tell that story. Given the strong resale of the RX7, the RX8 could follow those tracks and be the nontypical Mazda when it comes to used sales.

Honestly, although this is an RX8 board, I have to say that you won't go wrong with either choice. You would have much more fun in the RX, but you'll probably be much more comfortable in the Accord. Its not an easy choice sometimes to decide between those 2 things.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

WOW...Accord vs RX8. That's kind of like comaparing apples and kumquats.

They are both "cars". That's probably where the comparison ends.

What you have with the RX8 is a bonafied taste of what "super cars" give you....screaming 9K redline, razor sharp handling, light on its feet "feel" (kind of like dancing with Kate Hudson vs dancing with Kathy Bates). You get all of this without the punishing ride, nor sacrificing any of the luxury amenities (grand touring package).

I would think coming from an Integra, you'd probably find more to like about the RX8 than the Accord.

None of this is to say that the Accord is a bad car. It's just that one is a nice coup (the Accord) and the other is a top line sports car (the RX8).

As qbrozen said, the RX7s have a great reputation for resale. Based on history, I'd expect the RX8 to be more of the same.

The RX8 is never going to be an MPG champ. After break-in, you should get mid-high teens/low 20s MPG. The down side is, the RX8 "begs" to be driven hard, which will affect MPG. I never tire of taking mine above 7K RPM on a regular basis and spend a lot of time hitting redline just for the thrill of it. That affects my MPG more than anything else. If you drive it in the lower reaches of RPMs, your MPG is better, but where's the fun in that?

Rotaries, by design, will use some oil. Nothing to worry about there. Just keep an eye on the oil level every 2-3 fill-ups and you'll be fine.

Like you said, "it goes like stink" and "fits you like a glove".

So, my questions to you are, "do you want mundane" or "do you want to be thrilled every time you drive your car"?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "....vs dancing with Kathy Bates."

LOL!

Well, if that doesn't bring howls of protest from the Honda contingent, I don't know what will. You should post that in the Accord Coupe thread.

8^)
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    hey...at this point in my hopeless dateing life, I'll take a dance with Ms. Bates!

:-)
  • rich2145rich2145 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me about this. Would love to see my MPG go up just a tad.
    Hard to believe, but my RX8 just turned 1 year old.

I've got one of the first ones that hit these shores. Originally, when they delivered the first ones, there was concern about the longevity of the cat converters. I think the new CA emmissions rules stated that they had to last 100K miles. Mazda wasn't sure they could meet those new rules, so they "futzed" around with the ECU to "detune" it slightly to hit the requirement. The result was a little less HP and MPG.

While, it's still not something anyone knows with any amount of certainty whether the slight detuning actually will have an affect on the lifespan of the CATs, slowly but surely, Mazda has learned more and have instituted ECU reflashes to restore some of the power and MPG over time.

The "M" reflash is the latest of those. I had the reflash done at my dealer a couple of months ago. The result is better MPG (now getting about 17 MPG in all town driving and about 22-23 MPG in all highway....about 19 MPG in mixed driving). Power feels "up", too.

When I originally did some "unofficial" testing (passenger using a stop watch), I did a 6.3 sec 0-60 and a mid 14 sec 1/4 with a 4K-4.5K RPM launch.

Just by seat of the pants and since break-in is over, I'd say I could shave a 1/10th or two off the 0-60 and 1/4 numbers with the same sort of launch with the "M" reflash.

It's been widely docummented that the original ECU last year would yield an under 6 sec 0-60 with an 8K-8.5K RPM launch. The new reflash should beat those numbers if someone was possessed to try it.

There's also a "piggyback" PCB that you can add to the ECU which changes the fule maps that's made by a 3rd party. I don't know if it nets much more than the Mazda "M" reflash, though.

The expert on that unit is "pathstar". He drops in here from time-to-time so he can give more information regarding the 3rd party PCB by canzoomer.
  • rich2145rich2145 Member Posts: 2
    MAny thanks for the info. Just had mine in for its 5K check and swap out of the bad oil pressure gauge. All is now happy in "zoom zoom land". Will check with dealer about the reflash.

Gotta love Mazda for rebirthing the RX in such great form.
    cheeze...you definitely need to get out more. I can't remember the movie, but Kathy Bates did a nude scene in it. While she is a very fine actress, I don't know if I'd want to see that scene, again.

rorr...seriously, nothing against the Accord coupe, but cross shopping it with the RX8 isn't something I think most folks would do. I won't go over to the Accord Coupe thread since there isn't anything over there that I think would interest me. I'm certain I wouldn't be welcomed with "open arms".
    The movie was with Jack Nicholson; I think it was called 'All about Schmidt' or something like that.

Slightly OT: anybody know where I can get info regarding the actual Renesis motor and tranny dimensions and weight? I'm kicking around the idea of building a Lotus 7 kit using either an RX-8 or S2000 drivetrain but I don't know which engine is the most compact/lightest.
    gguy & rorr - I will not be able to sleep tonight knowing there is a movie out there with a nude Ms Bates...great....was this in the "Horror" section of BlockBuster perhaps??.....

I had a service the other day - got the new AC amplifier and the "M" flash. But I am still on that tank of gas. I will check out the mpg.

rorr - I am curious why you want to build a kit car from a fine, fine RX8. Sounds like an interesting project!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1-6pmPT/3-4pm ET
    NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    Don't know the RX8 drivetrain weight. I would think it would be lighter than that of the S2000, but I don't know that to be fact.

I can tell you the RENESIS will be more compact than the engine in the S2000 just by "eyeballing" them both.

Let us know if you decide to do the RENESIS/Lotus kit. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

In the past, I've been tempted to order one of the "kit cars" and put one together. My fear was always that I'd get 1/2 way through it, get tired of it, and it would sit for years in my garage strewn all over the place. The ones I looked at used either a Ford or GM small block, though.

Cheeze, it wasn't so long ago you were getting admiring female glances. What happened?

I'm in the first semi-serious relationship I've had in a while. The good news is, she couldn't care less what I drove (I think)......
    cheeseboy - Why?

Ummmm, approx. 240hp in a 1250lb car. Over 1.0 g skidpad and 60-0 braking in 100ft. Of course, you don't get such niceties as AC.....or a radio...or a top....or operating windows....

gguy - Do you know of a technical forum somewhere that could get me the actual rough dimensions and weight of the engine and tranny for the Renesis? If I do this project, it probably won't be for a year or so (need to finish my '66 Mustang FB and sell it to finance the Lotus project), but I'm leaning toward the rotary engine (Rotus 8?) because I figure better availability of parts cars (higher production #'s for the RX8 vs the S2k).
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    It's been a couple weeks since I've posted here. Hope everyone is doing fine.

Kimmer - As for the Accord Coupe V6 / RX-8 comparison, if you are a car enthusiast and don't mind the extra maintenance necessary, then choose the RX-8. I doubt you have any Accord owners that feel the same way graphic does about his RX-8. Obviously, RX-8 owners have a special relationship with their cars. I think cheeseboy even stated he slept inside his car one lonely night. You just don't have Accord owners doing that unless they can't find a hotel. However, if you want to save several thousand and still get a fully loaded vehicle, the Accord V6 Coupe is definitely not a bad choice. The 240 HP V6 engine is definitely strong enough for most people and the coupe's styling is attractive. Also, proven resale and reliability are two things that the Accord always has going for it. You know what you are looking for in a car so the decision should be simple.

Graphic - How does the reflash that you've gotten improve power AND gas mileage? I would think it would improve one by taking from the other. You need to take your vehicle to the track so you can show us some official times!

Rorr - No, seriously, why?
    Difficult to explain rationally since there really IS no rational reason to want something like a Lotus 7. I was simply wondering because I met someone this weekend with a Lotus 7 knockoff powered by an S2000 drivetrain; his car could click off a 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds with 1/4 mile times in the very low 11's at about 125. All this performance with a bone stock S2000 motor. Remember, this is in a car weighing less than 1300 lbs. Check http://www.wcmultralite.com for the Honda powered version.

Since the Renesis has very similar power/torque output, I was simply curious about the possiblity of using that drivetrain in lieu of the Honda. Also, I figured that given the higher production #'s for the RX-8, it would be easier to pick up a wrecked car with a usable drivetrain than it would be to get an S2000.
    rorr...head on over to rx8club.com

You'll find your answers there (plus a lot more).

Carliker....where have you been? Talking to my mechanic, he said the fuel maps on the very first first batch of RX8s that arrived here were a "hack job" (his words). He said he could tell they were done "on the fly" without much thought given to anything other than getting them certified to sell in the U.S. He said what most of us knew....the new emmissions regs effect on cat converters somehow caught Mazda by surprize. He also said he wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturers will have problems with the '04 cats further down the line as most manufacturers use the cats based on the same technology. He did give kudos to Mazda for being more proactive instead of waiting 4-5 years for these things to start failing in large numbers. This, coming from a guy who has been a tech on rotaries for 15 years + and a bonafied rotary afficianado (he owns one of each generation).

Mazda has (and continues to) test different fuel maps to improve MPG and power to the RENESIS. The Tech said the "rich" state of the original maps has been almost totally eliminated. That in turn caused low end and mid-range power to be more efficient and burn less fuel. The end result is more power low to mid RPMS while smoothing out acceleration all the while using less gas.

While power delivery was always smooth, it wasn't always linear when I first got my car. There were always a couple of "bumps" powerwise with the original ECU version. Now, the only bump I get is when the extra ports open up. Acceleration is much more linear and stronger from lower RPMs. Overall, my MPG went up by about 10%-15%, too. Instead of getting 16 MPG in combined driving, I'm getting between 17 MPG and 19 MPG. It'll still dip down on occasion, but that's only in severe all stop & go driving with the A/C blasting. Plus, I'm known to wind it out to 7K RPM in 1st until I hit the next red light, over and over again....never taking it out of 1st in congested traffic. That's not a good way to get decent MPG.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Some people I know use the rev. warning as a shift indicator. I'll not name names to protect the guilty! It goes off just above 9K I think. Never been brave enough to watch the tach.

There are other benefits to the "M" flash as well. It helps to reduce flooding by delaying the cold start rev up a few seconds (previously occasionaly the PCM would try to rev up an engine that wasn't actually running - a sure fire way to flood it!).

The car still idles rich. Hopefully they will find a way to address that.
  • zoomrx8zoomrx8 Member Posts: 11
    i AM AMAZED AT THE REPORTED MPG YOU GUS SEEM TO BE GETTING.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look in other there later today.
    I don't know if you're getting better or worse MPG.

The only thing I can say is I "try" to stay out of "drag races" (although, every neon honda/toyota/mitsubishi that pulls up next to me tries to get me to "run them"). I (mostly) drive the speed limit. I rarely launch at upper RPMs. I always use cruise control when I'm on the highway. I don't drive in rush hour (have an office in my home, so no need to fight morning and afternoon traffic log jams).

Outside of that, I don't do anything special.
    How do you get to work at home? 90%, if not more, comes from traffic.
    I meant to say that 90% (or more) of my bad mood on any given day is attributed to traffic. The sad thing is, I have it better than a lot of others since I'm only in my car for 25 minutes each way.
    Here's an article that I saw today on the RX-8:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=longtermtests&loc_code=index&content_code=09999938

The last quote written in the article reminded me of a couple people on these posts. Just kidding!
    Well....I'm a product of the tech industry and being an early adopter for concepts like the "virtual office".

Having been one of the original members of a "start-up's" management team (when being with a start-up was considered "cool"), it was decided early on that having access to e-mail, voice mail, cell phones, etc really precluded having an office with a secretarial staff. It certainly is cheaper for the company (no office lease, no renting/buying office furniture, no secretarial staff) and convenient for me since I had a room in my home that I could turn into an office.

If I need to be somewhere else, I have to fly there anyway. So, the only commuting I really do in my car is back and forth to the airport, and that's usually in "off hours".

As the tech industry got "squeezed" a couple of years ago, the idea of having a home office had monetary advantages for the company over having a "real" office. Plus, it's kept us a "lean and mean" company regarding expenses.

The downside...I have to travel back and forth to our headquarters in San Francisco from my Ohio home once/mo. The other downside is, I'm one of those people who can't stand to hear the phone ring and not pick it up. That can be a problem since I get phone calls at all hours from Europe and the Pacific Rim, where the time differences are dramatic. My office is right outside my bedroom, too. Plus, being in a home office, it's way too easy to run into the office, day or night, to put an e-mail out for the one "idea" I think everyone should know about, or to follow-up on that one "thing" that had been perplexing me during the day.

It's worked out well for both the company and me. I don't think I could go back to commuting every day and fighting traffic.

Whenever we hire someone these days, it's imperative that we can trust them to actually work out of a home office and not be tempted to roll into the office at 8:45 or leave at 3:30, or even to not go out and cut the grass during the work day. Those people are tougher to find than you might imagine.

Regarding the article you posted..."I resemble that remark"!!!!!!!
  • zoomrx8zoomrx8 Member Posts: 11
    I was having some computer problems when I posted so my thread was cut short. I have an early Mica red RX 8 MT. purchased Aug 03. Ive loged over 18,000 miles and have never gotten more than 17mpg. and that is since the M Reflash. I used to get 13 so 16 or 17 sems good to me. I can not drive the speed limit so that is my problem at 90 mph this thing sucks the gas like a man in the desert in an oaisis. So do you guys drive slow always up shift at low rpm,s or what. I rarely red line, shift around 6,000 rpm and nev er pass a gas station without filling up LOL
    Actually, I find that idling in stop and go traffic to be the main culprit affecting MPG. As mentioned, I don't have much of that type of driving.

For all intents and purposes, none of these cars, whether they be a Z, a Corvette, or any other sports car (with the possible exception of the S2000) are going to get any sort of sterling MPG in stop & go traffic. My sister has a Mustang SVT convertible. She's getting 12 MPG on average since all of her driving is "in town" stop and go. As an owner and as the trade rags mention, I don't think most of us care about MPG all that much given the driving experience provided.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well when you are sitting there idling in traffic, the MPG is....ZERO!

I agree with you....real enthusiasts don't seem to put MPG near the top of priorities. I myself don't even care about 0-60 times. I totally disregard both. Either a car drives and feels and looks great or it doesn't. I could care less about statistics on paper...except maybe the sticker price :)
    is worse on this car than many. It idles very rich, so much so we believe it uses almost as much fuel per hour as traveling 50 km/hr! At least it seems that way.
    zoomrx8 - Shifty and graphic make a good point, but if it's a daily driver, I can see how frustrating it can get having poorer MPG. You have to look at it as a sacrifice for having a fun car. Either a sports car is not going to be practical (as is every roadster on the market) and/or it isn't going to give you the best MPG. Enthusiasts could care less about either.

graphic - How is the Vibe working out for you? Do you get the same looks from the young women that you do with your RX-8?
    I'm invisible in the Vibe. Not even old men in Mercuries look at me when I drive it. It's slow. The A/C needs a bit of time to cool everything off since the engine isn't very powerful to turn the A/C compressor fast enough for a quick cool down. I can't seem to find it's power band (don't think it has one). Steering and suspension is soft (compared to the RX8).

Even frumpy soccer moms sneer at me when I park it next to their minivans, Explorers and MDXs. They laugh at me as they "burn me" taking off at stop lights to rub salt into my sore ego.

That said, I'm getting 32+ MPG. I can haul all my lawn equipment & furniture in it and all the mulch I would need for the mext 5 or so years. It will cruise at 75-80 MPH all day on the highway with no complaint and is confortable. I like it.

When I jump back into the RX8, my world transforms. Young women give me the "thumbs up". People still stop me at the gas pump and grocery store to tell me how "cool" my car is. Men in Boxter's give me worried looks. And, I feel like I can enter LeMans......AND WIN! Delusional on my part, I know! The sweet rotary sound comes rushing over me and I just have to take it to redline at least half the time I'm driving it.

Of course, the driving experience between the two couldn't be more opposite.

Shifty....I thought you had left us. Glad to see you're back. Can I start a Vibe/Matrix vs RX8 thread?
    Hey, lay off the Mercury bashing! I drive a Mercury when the S2000 is in the garage and I'm 28. Besides, why would you want old men looking at you anyway? As long as you don't let mini-vans pass you while you are in your Vibe, you'll be fine. Only when you see Toyota Siennas blazing pass you with a soccer Mom driving, it's time to throw the Vibe in the dumpster.
    Actually, I like Mercury GMs. Aside from the ChryCo hemis, where else can you find a V8 RWD sedan that can fit 5 comfortably and cruise lazily?

If I hadn't got the deal I got on the Vibe, I would have looked seriously at a Merc GM as the 2nd car to complement my RX8.

They're being advertised around here for about $18K. That was about $5K-$6K more than I wanted to spend. The used ones were really "used up". I couldn't find the ones that were driven by old men, or in your case, young men.

Usually the minivan crowd just gets in my way...no matter which car I'm driving. Their drivers just seem clueless to what's going on around them. I guess they're too busy with what's playing on those DVD players in the back seat when no one is back there to see the show.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    ... is to pass them, as soon as possible :-D
    Of course you can start a Vibe/Matrix vs. RX8 thread. Just not on this website :)

You know, and this is JUST ME and my two cents---I've found over the years that the more a car compromises to please more people, the less interesting it is to drive. (No, I didn't say the "L" word).

If you look at a list of the Automobile Hall of Fame for car enthusiastics and collectors, very few if any of those cars have bent over backwards to be "nice". They are all in your face one way or the other and most have very conspicuous "faults". Interestingly, people are sort of like that too.

So, all hail the RX-8 for its individuality and character!
    Aren't the Mercury GMs the larger "old man" vehicles? I have a Mercury Mystique that has a V6, 170HP 2.5L engine. It's a small sedan.

Though there are a few exceptions, I've experienced two types of mini-van drivers. You can tell usually if a man or woman is behind the wheel. The men drive exceedingly fast to compensate for not having a sports car and the women drive exceedingly slow as if they are going through driver's ed.

Now, back on topic...anyone hear of the possible changes to the '05 RX-8 except for colors?
    have been discussed. To review, no yellow, add white. Change door lock remote such that it's built into the key.

That's all Mazda has announced up to now.

This is not to say different option packages may not be offered. These are different in each country, and may change from year to year as well.

I'd love to see the backup assist offered.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Cheeze, graphicguy, and other faithful on the RX-8, I am moving on. I read and posted here occasionally for quite a while now, and was real close to going for the RX-8 til the stalling and the m.p.g. issues got me concerned, and I started looking hard at the Crossfire, 300C, and then an 04 Vette. I really did like the test drive in the RX-8, but finally, the sweet deals offered on the Vette won out, and I got one under $39K [$10K off the sticker]. I know its not as practical as the RX-8 with that extra set of seats, but it does have a lot of storage space in the coupe--no jack or spare to eat space, but EMT supposed to go 200 miles at 55 if necessary with no air. Yikes. Hope I never have to test that guarantee!! But she really rides sweet, and driving home from the dealer--brace yourselves-- I got 28.8 miles per gallon at 70 mph. Hard to keep it below the break-in speed. So, I have enjoyed posting here, and still think the Shima show is the best. Wish I had the talent to do that stuff. Best wishes and good driving to all. Oh yeah, I kept my 300M [tough match with the wife on that issue] so you can find me at that board or the Vette board.
    Shifty....there was a point in my life where I went the "homogenized car" route. You know, the ones that are supposed to run forever, be practical, etc. I found my personality changed. I became as boring as my car.

I decided I needed to make a change to spice myself up a bit. I got hair plugs. Decided to apply "fake tan" to make me look more continental. Then I decided to start drinking "apple martinis" and hanging out with the "in crowd", wearing Prada clothes and disussing the world events in Luxemborg.

That all changed when I got my RX8. That's when buxom, half shirted and tattooed female teens started lounging on the hood of my car. The rest is history;-)

carliker....I'm serious when I mentioned I liked the Grand Marquis. Nothing against your Mystique (descendant of the much heralded European Mondeo), but I find the idea of a V8 engine in a RWD car that can hold the entire population of Luxemborg very appealing.

bigmike....I won't ever denigrate anyone who buys a Corvette. I think it's a great blend of performance and everyday driveability....much like the RX8. Truth told, if I was in the market today, with the deals you can get on the C5 (even better for me since I qualify for the GM employee discount through my brother-in-law), I would have thought long and hard about buying one over my RX8.

Stop by from time-to-time to report back on your 'Vette experiences and have fun with your ride.
    another RX8 success story!
    Just returned from a weekend trip to Chicago.

I happened upon a Bentley dealer downtown. They had exactly one Bentley Coupe in the showroom.

What they did have in the showroom was probably the most extensive line-up of exotic vehicles in one place I've ever seen.

They had 2 Lambos....a Diablo and a Murcielago. They also had 2 Ferraris....a Spider and a Testarossa.

They had a couple of 911 turbos and the first in person look I've ever seen of a Lotus Elise....the least expensive car they had for sale (about $46K all loaded up).

You would have "drooled" at the sight.

My jaw literally dropped at the sight of such exquisite machinery.

They wanted a credit check done before they allowed me to sit in any of them. I sheepishly declined. They did, however, let me look into them and even "touch" them.

It was better than any car show I've ever been to.
    Well, now I know where to go to see a real auto show. It's easy to get intimidated in a place like that with so many exotic vehicles and high prices. Did the dealers there make you feel comfortable? How did the Lotus look in person? I saw several photos of it, and though it is an interesting looking vehicle, I thought the profile looked rather dune buggish. I like small vehicles but not ones that make an average sized driver look huge.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Thanks. You have a great group of guys here. I will stop by to see what happening now and then. I've started to see a lot more RX-8's around my area so they must be moving pretty good now. If you get a chance, and are in the neighborhood, take in the Woodward Dream Cruise in suburbs north of Detroit on the 21st of Aug. 16 miles of cruising and you'll never see more great cars than there, and it would be a good place for an RX-8 meet. Check out their site. Start a club?? Adios.
    There were a couple of sales people there in suits. I was peering in their window and walked in once I saw what they had. I was in shorts and a collared shirt....not looking really "rich".

They acknowledged that I was there with head nods, but that was about it. I asked if I could sit in the Diablo and one of the "suited" guys offered to have me "come upstairs to do a financial disclosure" first. At that point, I declined and he declined letting me sit in it.

It's not like they were busy, but I understand that they probably work by appointment only and to pre-qualified buyers at the price point these cars sell for. That said, they do have an open showroom with people able to walk in. I can't imagine many folks walking off the street and saying "Hey, I was passing by and saw that Lambo in your showroom. Do you have any other colors in stock? Do you have any rebates, currently?"

The Lotus does have a "dunebuggy" appearance. The one they had seemed to be outfitted better than the pics I've seen, though. It had A/C, carpet, and leather seats. It was bright yellow. And yes, they are really small.

They were taking orders. The only way to do a test drive was to agree to purchase one first. Then they would order one (which would take 6 months for delivery).

I spent the better part of an hour there and no one hassled me. They pretty much ignored my pressence, every once in a while glancing my way to make sure I wasn't trying to sneak in some "seat time". Everything but the Porsches and one Ferrari (which had the doors already open) were locked however.
    I'm glad you went into that place and and had a good time looking around. Either sales people are hassling you or ignoring you. It's unfortunate that a place like that is typically only filled with sales people who only want to make a buck and are not enthused about the cars they sell.

I can see why dealers don't want people to test drive their vehicles, but I still couldn't purchase a vehicle I've never driven. They could ask for a deposit perhaps, but to purchase the vehicle before a test drive (and then having to wait six months), no way. They should reserve the financial checking for a person who wants to test drive a vehicle. Also, I could see if the place was crowded, but how much of a threat would you be just to sit in the car? I wonder if you need to have your finances checked just to get helped at one of those showrooms. Thanks for the info. graphic!
    I remember when the RX8s first hit the showrooms about a year ago. I went to 3 different dealers. One of them acted just like the "exotic" dealer. No test drives, but they would let you sit in the one they had on the showroom. Once I told them I was serious about buying, they immediately pressed me for a deposit before a test drive. I quickly crossed them off my list of potential dealers. I read on this board that some dealers were asking for NON-REFUNDABLE deposits on the RX8 before they'd order one when they first came out. That's just plain silly.

The dealer I eventually bought from tossed me the keys of their demo model and told me to take a test drive before even talking money. The sales person went with me, but that was OK. I ended up buying mine for $1,000 off MSRP when they were selling for "sticker". I thought I had made a good deal. From what I understand, the deals are even better than that, now.

I told them I was interested and they went to their "order" status sheet to see what cars they had coming in that would fit what I was looking for. Once we found one, we got to the money part.

In my opinion, that's the way you present a car for purchase.

On the other hand, I wasn't looking at cars that cost 6 figures and wasn't in it for a joy ride. That said, I don't know that I'd be interested in a $45K Lotus without a test drive. Put me in the driver's seat and let me take it for a brief spin, and that may change. We all know how emotional one gets when test driving a car.

I can't imagine someone who is interested in plunking down $40K-$50K, even moreso, $150K and not take a test drive before buying.

When Mazda was offering the "buyback", I looked at my 2nd choices, again. The G35 coupe had just hit the streets at the same time. Surprisingly, the local Infiniti dealer offered $3K off any of the ones they had in stock at the time...knowing I already had the RX8. I ran into a Nissan dealership that wouldn't even let me sit in the 350Z without a deposit. Again, that's crazy....particularly given the sharp drop in 350Z sales from '03 to '04 and how the RX8 has been trouncing the Z/G in all the trade rags.

Heck, I can go to the nearest Chevy dealer and test drive a 'vette without any hassle. It helps when I drive up in the RX8, though.
    wow...I go and get a second/night gig and I miss all the fun!

bigmike - you made a great choice. Ya can't go wrong with a vette! Not my style, but a classic, great car. Enjoy! And thank you for the kind words on my "Shima" web page. More pictures will be coming!

gguy - you totally made me feel spoiled! In the last 2 weeks, I've seen one of each of the cars you mentioned! Yes, while down at South Beach, some very handsome latino was driving on the crappy little roads down there in a Bentley Coupe and gave me a nod when we were next to each!!(stuck in traffic, of course!!) Just the other day I saw the Lotus drive by. Cute little thing, but man, it has no space! Guess that's not the reason for buying one - hauling stuff! Plus, last night I saw a Lotus Espirt at Polo Topical! Ya gotta get down here, gguy, and see the "daily drivers" some people have.

Regardless, I still think my 'Shima' looks better than them all (except for that Countach thing). And since the new AC amp was installed, things are working great! Gotta love this car, eh? :-)
    I make it down to Miami from time-to-time for work. Next visit, I'll drop you a line. I haven't been to South Beach in years. I know it's changed a lot.

In the cosopolitan cities, I know there are more "exotics" than what I see around my conservative little 'burg. The nearest Lambo dealer is about 150 miles away, however. That explains why I have to go to the big city to see these machines.

As it stands, there are about 4 RX8 owners around here that I know. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had the occasion to meet them. Going to concours shows, I still get gawks and stares with mine.
  • keitaroukeitarou Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know how this car drives in the snow and ice? With and without Winter tires? I am looking to Lease for two years and want to know if It's drivable in winter. Any inout you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.