Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• shroudshroud Posts: 78
    Cool, thanks Pathstar - so, I take it he's very happy with the car?

Jarrett
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    "so, I take it he's very happy with the car?"

He was not impressed with the power reduction issue or the mis-truths or whatever they were MNAO put out about it. So he considered returning it on the return program and looked at his options re other vehicles. Turned out nothing was more tempting, much of the other stuff was worse (he had a 350Z trackpack ordered etc. but the dealers were so silly he cancelled). The WRX Sti was very tempting, but the Canadian dealers are crazy if they think we are going to give them $6000+ over invoice. The G35 was considered, but rejected.

He has since fixed the power reduction issue (see Canzoomer's Stage 1 mod.). The car is a hoot. There are so many well thought out "little things". It handles, and is fast even without his fix. It just doesn't throw you back into the seat. Speed kind of sneaks up on you with this car.

I want one too! (I have a 3rd gen RX-7 as my toy)
    I like the car in black :) Would be dirty all the time in winter, but if you kept it clean in summer -MAN that would be sharp. The only things I found not to my liking were:

no telescopic steering wheel - I think the Mazda 3 (I have one) spoiled me for that.

the driver side door closed in a sorta rattle-y way. Seemed to lack that solid feel. Kinda surprised me actually. The window was down though, so it might be that.

Im only 5' 11" and my hair felt like it was brushing the ceiling. That surprised me too.

Other than that: sweeet.

Jarrett
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,213
    There could be something loose in the door of the one you drove. The vast majority of us marvel at the quality solid "thunk" of the doors when closing them.

Telescopic wheel would be nice, but I don't know that I'd change the position of mine.

I'm 6' and don't have any issues headroom, but I have more "leg" than I do "torso".

I've had black cars in the past. When black cars are clean, they are the best looking cars around. That said, I could rarely keep my black cars looking good for more than a couple of days. Plus, black tends to show things like swirling, which becomes more prevalent as the car ages.
  • acf930acf930 Posts: 3
    So I was brave enough to try to drive to work today in only 2 inches of snow. The RX-8's handling was horrible. I was spinning out at a light and barely inched my way into a parking lot. I'm thinking of getting snow tires. Do you guys think these will really be helpful??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,779
    Now why do you think they call them snow tires :)

Sure they'll help but of course not so much on hard-pack that's freezing up. But in a 2-inch snow they should grip much better. Of course, you have to keep an easy foot down at all times.

on an RX-8 work very well. 50/50 weight dist., DSC, ABS, and a low torque engine are the perfect setup for snow/ice. We use the Nokian WRs. Great tires.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Posts: 218
    ok...so gguy sparked a question in my head concerning this wonderful vehical. (And this topic applies to both sexes and all types of cars.)

See, I fell for this car when I saw it at the auto show and waited awhile for funds before I test drove. After the other possible vehicals, the test drive sealed the deal and my wallet/checkbook fell outta my hands. I was hooked. But after my purchase, my co-workers all said, "Cheeze, that's a babe magnet! You'll have girls all over ya in that car!". The thought of buying a car just for it's sex appeal never crossed my mind. Never has. (well, except for when I thought about getting a Countach, but that stems from "CannonBall Run" and Adrienne Barbeau!)

I will now sum up all the "babes" that have come a runnin to see me and my car since I got her in October:

-one beautiful blonde, who happens to be a friend and is both a lesbian and spoken for.
    -one 50ish couple from upstate New York who thought the car was "quite attractive" and wanted to know if "it would be suitable for their 20ish college student daughter?".
    -a car load of four mid 40's women, mix races and sizes, all married and thought the car looked so "cute". (upspeak the 'cute')
    -and countless 20 to 30 year old males, wanting to know: how fast? how quick? how big an engine? do I have nitrious added? have I raced anybody yet? etc etc etc

as far as I can tell, GGuy got all the babe magnetism with his 'Girl on the Hood' story. Darn him anyway.........he's married for cripes sakes! :-)

Comments are welcome. :-)
    NO.....NO.....NO......!!!!!

I am unmarried, very hetero and very available for those who have the inclination that I'm as "sexy" as my RX8....;-)
    GGuy - many humble apologies then.... I was sure I read that you were married....or was it a GF?.... but alas, I was incorrect. But then why did the "Girl On The Hood" run away?....hmmm.....perhaps you showed anger at the site of a someone on your hood, and you are within your rights to be so! I know I would be! Anyway, you still have a way better magnet story than I. :-)
    No appologies required. I was married at one point in my life. That's where my son came from (he lives with me).

Yes, have a sometime GF....on again, off again! Gotta be real careful who you bring around the house if you have a kid at home.

Girl on the hood was "startled" by me using my remote lock and hearing the doors unlock. Or maybe she saw this dark haired Italian with a with a surly attitude coming her way yelling "badda-bing...badda boom";-)

On a sadder note, we've been hit with 3 sn1ow storms this week....about a foot of it on the ground and I can't shovel it fast enough to clear my driveway. The RX8 has been sitting patiently in the garage for a week wondering if it's ever going to get a chance to wind out again.

It doesn't happen often, but when snow hits the OH Valley, it comes in full force.

The good news is I've got the cleanest car in the neighborhood. The bad news is it's sitting in the garage where no one can see it.
  • carlikercarliker Posts: 285
    Same situation with me. I got my S2000 back on December 10th. It only has a little more than a 100 miles on it. Damn winter! Anyway, I've haven't been more proud of the Mercury sedan that I drive around during this kind of weather. I'm sure you're proud of your civic. It's like a backup quarterback coming into a game and playing really well. Take care of that Civic (or Mercury in my case) and it will take care of you.

I still can't believe some teen was on your hood. Where are manners these days? I would have had to call cheeseboy's lawyer if I would have seen some stupid girl do that. The one thing that really sets me off is when people aren't considerate of my property (especially a car). My goodness!

Cheeseboy - Like I told graphic, you're the real reason why those women talked to you. They just used the RX-8 as an excuse. Unfortunately, we can't use the same explanation for the guys who showed interest.
    I was wondering how much driving you got to do with the S2000. It's got to be killing you to have such a nice car and just watch it sit.

Actually, I'll be real envious of you if you tell me you've got a nice Grand Marguis you're using for wither duty. I looked, and looked to find a good used Crown Vic or GM to use as a snow car. To me, those are perfect snow cars.....big, comfy and with enough weight that they pound the snow into submission. No wonder police forces love them. Put some big ole' snow timres on those things and you can go anywhere.
    It's actually a Mercury Mystique. It's a small sedan but I've been very surprised about how good it's been in the snow. Thankfully, I haven't gotten it stuck and it sticks to the road pretty well. It doesn't make me nervous which is the most positive sign.

Yes, I wish I could be driving the S2000 but then it would have to be spring or summer. I would hate to get the vehicle dirty (and I'm a nut about clean cars). I see all the salt and grime from the melting snow on the streets and I feel rather happy not having to drive the S2000 under those conditions. Your RX-8 is thanking you right now since you are getting the kind of weather I am. Those plow trucks can do a lot of damage to your car when you pass them and all the crap hits your car. So, fortunately, there are pros and cons not being able to drive it.
    so sorry to hear about the snow. It's been 15 years since I lived with snow (Wisconsin) and I really don't miss it. Maybe in another 15 years I will miss it...but I doubt it! But I do remember this bit when driving in the snow with the old Chevette - 50 lb bags of salt! Heck, I had bags in the hatch, back seat, front seat, roof, you name it! Kept that car firmly planted on the road! Kinda hard to get more than a few bag in the S2000 carliker, but gguy can get a bunch in his RX8! I'll send ya both a gift certificate to Farm & Fleet!..... :-)

ok...now is it getting bad when I stop by my print shop to see if another print job was completed and I say, "yeah I was just driving by..." and the girl at the front desk interrupts me and says, "oh, ya HAD to just go for a drive? Couldn't just call on the phone. nope, ya gotta go DRIVE by here."....??.......and I answer, "ah...yeah!"...?? It's bad isn't it?....LOL!.....
    carliker- I am not really sure about the moonroof thing....just that when I am in a car with one, I gotta pull the cover over it! Look, I never said I was ~totally~ stable! To quote Porcupine Tree, "I got wiring loose inside my head.".....must be something from my childhood. A traumatic 'Moonroof' incident that is haunting me to this day. Maybe I got my head stuck in one! :-) (this would explain alot more than just this one issue!)....
    didn't think I would get this done so soon, but here is an update

http://www.fungistudios.com/RX8_Shima/RX8_Shima.htm

if you like to see 2 sexy 'gals', look at Gallery 4!
    carliker....a Mystique works well. Most importantly, "it doesn't make you nervous when you're driving". That's what I consider the most desireable trait in a 2nd car.

My Civic, is very dirty with salt and winter grime, I was passing a car wash last night and just shook my head. It was all of 5 degrees outside, yet I saw a huge line at the local drivethrough carwash. Those folks will have a clean car, but when they try to get into it this a.m. after sitting in the well below freezing temps all night, they will notice that the water in all the little "nooks and crannies" didn't get dried. End result, my guess is they will have doors that won't open because they are frozen shut.

Look at it this way, in two months, you'll have the opportunity to open the top on your S2000 and drive around with the wind in your face.

Cheeze...I've lived in OH most of my life with a couple of brief stints in CA (Bay Area), Chicago and Boston (with a couple of 2 month stays in Brazil and one 3 month stay in London for work). Every year I tell myself I'm moving to a warmer climate. Then Spring rolls around and I forget all about it. The first, and sometimes 2nd snowfall I don't mind so much, particularly if it falls around the Holidays like it did this year. It's the lingering snow and cold that get to me (like we're experiencing now). In reality, there are only 2 or 3 months when I get antsy around here....January, February and sometimes March. The rest are, in general, pleasant.

Can't help you with the sunroof fear. Perhaps some sunroof "therapy"? Of course you had to drive to the print shop. You got the good weather. You've got the RX8. There should be no question.

That's a big boat. One of the pics looks like it's getting ready to plow into your 8.

I may have to take the RX8 out today, even with the salt on the roads. It's just too tempting.
    Hey pathstar, how does your friend find the heater/defroster in the Rx8? In these extremely cold winter days we are experiencing, does it get the job done?

Reason I ask is the heater/defroster in my Mazda 3 flat out sucks in my opinion. Im very dissatisfied with it.

Jarrett
    I think any heater is going to struggle with the kind of low temps we've had recently. I haven't had my 8 out for a week or so, but I was driving my Civic last night and temps dropped to near zero. It took 20 minutes just to get the heater to put out some semi-warm air.

Keep your eye on your temp guage. You should be able to tell when the thermostat opens up by the movement of the temp needle. If the temp needle stays unusually low all the time, you may have a thermostat problem.

I've driven my 8 when it was in the teens. Didn't notice that the heater was having problems, but that could be because I used the seat heater.

Can't comment about the 3 because I've never driven one, but I suspect it may be similar to the one in the 8.
  • In my Prelude, the heater warms up a couple minutes after I hit the highway, even in subzero (<0F) temperatures. I'm guessing the RENESIS should be similar, as long you do a high-speed, full-throttle merge, and then keep the revs up above 4K as you cruise along...
    is totally faulty ;-). Reason is his car has been down for 5 days now. Will not start when temps. are below -25C or so. When he got it, a "block heater" was listed on the invoice (as one of that particular dealer's "extras" thrown in at no extra cost). There is no RX-8 block heater. My RX-7 had one that was bolted on externally - it went around the spark plugs on the side of the engine. He wanted to install an "in-line" circulation type heater (goes in the heater hose and pumps the heated coolant throughout the engine). Mazda said "no", so now they are going to have to tow his car to a dealer (different one) to get it warmed up indoors and started. Then, hopefully, they will install the circ. heater he bought last fall.

Not sure why Mazda thinks they are so smart!
    One other thing about the cold. Be very carefull removing the engine cover when cold (in our case, to boost the car). The rubber grommets hold on tightly, and the cover will crack if you pull too hard.
  • yes...yes...it's in the middle of the Super Bowl and I am writing this....I have no tv, so what else do I have to do? Anyway, It rained here in S. Florida last night.....hard.... I worked late at a studio and came out at 2am to a 'flood'...sheets of rain...and the parking lot was filled with mini-lakes ranging from an inch to around 6inches of water...I was a bit worried, but survived no problems! It was great cause my buddy in his Corvette did the 'snorkel' and sucked in water......bad!....I was wondering how many other cars snorkel? seems like a weird design on his engine - thing goes like heck on dry pavement though!! lol! My RX8 drove fine in the rain, but I couldn't go too fast - hard to see anything it was raining so hard.

After all these "cold weather" posts, I am so happy it was just rain and not snow!
    Pathstar, help me understand your friend's issue....he/she ordered an RX8 with the "block heater" listed on the order sheet (I didn't see one listed when I ordered mine). No block heater installed by the dealer. Didn't your friend see that there wasn't a "plug" for the block heater at delivery?

At -25 degrees, there's going to be slush in the radiator. The battery probably won't generate enough juice to turn the car over. The oil is going to be the consistency of vaseline. And, I doubt the heater is going to operate the way it's supposed to.

By the way, this would be true of any car, not just the RX8.
    Hold back your temptation. Don't get the salt and grime on your RX-8. Just not worth it!
    Well, I could say nasty things ;-) about those not versed in "THE COLD", but actually you're just very lucky. The coolant doesn't change state. If it get's cold enough, it will actually gell, not freeze, but not until -50 or so with a 50/50 solution. If there is less glycol in there it can freeze. The oil, well that's another matter. One year I tried to add a litre that was stored in the garage (not adding to an RX-8). It was probably at -15 C or so. Took an hour for all of it to flow into the engine (10W30)! Entertaining.

The RX-8 actually cranks over quite well. It even fired (sputtered) a few times. He's tried 5 times to start it and the battery is still working fine. We think it just flooded (fuel just doesn't want to vaporize at these temps.).

As for that dealer, it was an advertizing gimmick. Pretty much any car you buy new here comes with a block heater. They are kind of necessary. Dealer just forgot to delete that reference or check before tacking the list to the vehicle paperwork.

As for any vehicle having problems, if properly prepped, most vehicles will start at -40. They will not like it, but they will start. Unless you flood them, and not just RX-8s will flood. At these temps. any car can flood very easily. If it does then you're sunk!

Back to the heater. I suspect this car was designed to not overheat (a problem with the 3rd gen RX-7). I'll bet the heater would work much better with a "cold front". That's a solid bug screen placed over the rad air intake. Until it wouldn't start, the heater worked fine, even without a "cold front", at temps. just below 0 F. It does take a while to warm up, but no different than most other cars we've had experience with.
    I've actually seen anti-freeze/water mixture, glop out of the radiator like a "slushy" in extremely cold temps.

Depending on the state of charge of the battery, even brand new ones, some will crank (albeit, slowly) and some will only turn over a half dozen times before running out in extremely cold temps.

As you point out, very cold oil doesn't have very good flow characteristics.

I still haven't taken my 8 out for over a week, but the last time I drove it the temps were about 15 degrees F. No problems with the heater then.
    I went over to his place this afternoon with my battery charger (Statpower Truecharge 40). Charged up the battery and tried to start it with the accel. pedal to the floor (as per manual instructions for unflooding). Recharged. Tried again. Recharged. Tried again. etc. It finally began to fire once per rev. Seems one rotor's plugs are soaked, the other has at least one plug that fires sometimes. This is not enough to start a rotary engine, unfortunatly. Oh well. He's not alone with a flooded RX-8.
  • doolsdools Posts: 11
    I'm cross-shopping the S2K, RX-8, 350Z roadster, and Crossfire (waiting for the roadster), so I'm glad to see the rags comparing these cars. I currently have a Z3, and am trying to decide whether to go more practical (RX-8?) or stick with a convertible given the fact that I live in San Diego.
    I've test-driven the S2K ('03), RX-8, and Crossfire coupe. My impressions: The RX-8 has the best interior by far. The S2K is a bit bare-bones, though I do like the remote radio controls and the engine start button is pretty cool (though unnecessary?). The Crossfire's radio controls were tiny and the read-out unreadable in any sunlight. Plus, I love the steering-wheel mounted controls on the RX-8. All were fun to drive in their own ways. I loved the feel of the Xfire's wide tires, and the go-cart handling of the S2K. As for the RX-8, it was the first of the bunch that I drove and I think I could have let the RPMs scream up there a bit more--there were also a lot of cars on the road when I drove it which hampered my fun a bit.
    Honestly, there really wasn't a clear winner in the bunch, though since the interior of a car is so important to me I might have to give the nod to the RX-8. However, I did look at a demo car and noticed that the center storage console looked like it was scraping along its tracks (made it look beat-up)--has anyone who has owned the car for a while noticed that component getting worn out so quickly? I also liked the Mazda dealer folks WAY better than the Honda and Chrysler guys. Still, I love to drop the top so I may have to test the Mazdaspeed Miata when that comes out. Anyway, thanks to all for the great info on this board--really helpful in trying to make my decision. One last thing--has anyone seen the titanium with the red/black interior? I love the red/black combo but would prefer to get titanium since I don't keep my car in a garage and red and black exteriors show dirt so quickly.
    Take care all.