Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• sonnysayshisonnysayshi Member Posts: 11
    The car, from what I've read and how it feels, truly seems like a great value. Performance wise, I never dreamed I could afford something so beautifully designed, so mechanically exhilarating. It looks like it should cost upward of $35K -- I have to tell people not familiar with the car that it's not as expensive as they probably think.

There's a cool factor to it, too. I live in suburban Chicago and see one maybe once a month. That, you can't price.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Yep, the RX-8 is clearly an affordable classic sports car and thrill making machine. People who've I've driven around are always stunned with pure glee when I pop 7000RPM running Boston's famous traffic rotarys. They just can't believe any car can dive 60MPH into one of those little circular race tracks. My passenger explode with laughter when the lateral Gs slams them left, then right and then left again into and out of Boston's rotary-coaster rides.

I experience complete thrill running rotarys in my rotary everyday. Priceless!
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Sonny,

I live in suburban chicago as well and also drive an 05 AT. There is a pretty active RX-8 and rotary club in the chicago area. Email me at mdw1000 at yahoo.com if you want details. Or you can check out the midwest section at RX8club.com. The Rotary Car Club of Chicago has its own website at chicagorotary.com. The RX8 specific club is listed at rx8club, but generally most events involve both. We meet at least the 1st saturday of every month and often more than that.

Congrats! You are going to love this car!

FYI - it is actually good to rev a rotary a lot. Keeps the carbon from building up. It won't hurt it like a piston engine. That and its smoothness are two of my favorite things about the rotary. And of course its power to engine weight and size ratio.

To get the most out of the car and have the most fun, I almost always use the manual shifting mode. Around town I end up using 3rd gear as a cruising gear. For routine cruising i normally shift at around 4k or so. I make sure to hit redline at least once every time or two that i drive it.
  • sonnysayshisonnysayshi Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, I definitely will check the site -- another question . . . seat covers. You can buy them from Mazda, but can you find them elsewhere and not pay the arm and leg?
  • 98nispat98nispat Member Posts: 1
    I am an SUV owner, but looking to go with something smaller. I was thinking sedan, but test drove an '04 RX-8 today and fell in love. It is the 6-speed manual version, and it was about the most fun I have ever had driving a car. I am really considering purchasing the car, but it has over 50,000 miles, and I have some qualms about the reliability. I would love for some current or past owners of Rx-8s to share a bit about their experience with the car, and if they reccomend purchasing one. Thanks!
  • articistarticist Member Posts: 9
    98nispat,

I myself am an owner of 2004 RX-8, which I purchased as used 2 years ago. At the time of purchase the car had about 33,000 miles on it. It is manual with velocity red color. I love the car so much I brought it to my home country when I left US despite all the inconvenience of not having an official dealer/service here. The car ran amazingly the first time I sat in it and I was hooked. It still runs the same. I believe there were a few recalls that had been performed on it before I took the ownership. Even after I became the owner, there have been two recalls done: vacuum test, which is just a test for the engine and the hot spark plug substitution. There was one mechanical failure which got fixed easily at no cost at the dealer - burned ignition coil. Ever since, I've had zero problem on the car.

2004 model is supposed to be a little quirky, but I would think by now most of the problems have been dealt with. Just make sure that you check all the recalls on the car. Mazda had extended the warranty so that it is still valid on 2004 model though it is no use for me now (being out of states). So do get it thoroughly checked at a Mazda dealership where they should have all the records on the car.

All in all, I would recommend the car and believe at 50,000 miles, it still has many more years to give you lots of fun. I have had a BMW, a Supra, and so on, but this car is just out of the league in terms of driving fun.
    Agreed. The recent comparison of the RX-8 against the Shelby 'Stang, Audio TT, and 350Z gives the same clear message. There's something freak'n magic in the way the RX-8 drives. Nothing else matters, but driving. Everything else discussed here is a distraction only. This forum is for those who love to drive a balanced car.

To that end, I'd like to add that my RX-8 AT is perfect city driving car in this respect. I flip in and out of paddle shifting mode all the time. Traffic issues don't always grant drivers room to reach highway speeds, but let'n the twins howls regularly is fair easy in most urban environments. The RX-8 AT lets driver deal efficiently with the boring jams and then pop into manual for those brief moments of freedom.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The real trick is the weight and low center of gravity. It moves like a Boxster because it weighs only 3000lbs and has the engine mounted low like most boxer designs. A pushrod type engine just can't compete unless you literally strip the car down to nothing like the mid 90s generation M3s were.
  • tjmc121tjmc121 Member Posts: 1
    I have a nice 2004 rx8 for sale.It is silver with black cloth interior.A 6 speed trans and only 20,000 miles.I am moving to phoenix soon and don't want to drive it out there.I'll probably buy a new one when i get settled.I would like to get $18,500 but will negotiate!
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I would check the gas mileage before deciding - it could be your SUV gets better than the RX-8 does :(

My 05 6 speed gets 14-15mpg commuting and 19 and maybe 20mpg on a highway trip. Pretty poor given the small size of the car and the lack or torque. And it requires premium fuel too. If you have not noticed, the premium on premium has gone up - it can now run $0.30-$0.50 per gallon higher than regular. Some 8 owners run regular or mid-grade and give up some performance for cheaper trips to the pump.

On the same commute I get 23-24 in the S2000 and 27+ in the xB - so it is not just my driving style or the route, it is the car.

I would avoid 04 8s like the plague - many, many more problems on the first year cars than on later years.

Long term reliability for any 8 is a concern as well - since they have not been around a "long time" in this iteration. Most have had the powertrain warranties extended due to the problems and recalls. Mazda is not too sure about the future either, you can buy an S2000 HondaCare warranty for 8yrs/120k miles for maybe a grand online, the cheapest you can find a Mazda extended warranty (for less coverage) may be $1,700-1,900.

The 6 speed is a blast to drive, handles like on rails, with a Voodoo knob the shifting is even better than the S2000, great brakes, suicide doors mean a somewhat usable back seat.

Resale value is another problem - some publications rate it as above average, but they are wrong. I have had few sniffs at my like new 2005 RX-8, 11k mile, loaded up 6 speed (GT + NAV + more). Original MSRP 2 years ago $32k +, asking price now $21k - and no takers. Search online car listings and you will see lot of low mile 8s being offered for under $20k. Good news for you, you can get one cheap. Bad news is if you try to sell or trade it later. 2 year old cars are rolling through auctions bringing about 1/2 of MSRP - which is serious depreciation. If you buy it and drive it until it dies, you will not care - but if you need to trade or sell later you may be sorry.

Fun car, but not for everyone - and not a good car to have when gas prices could be on the rise again.

Dennis
    Note - this car gets similar mileage to a Mustang or 350Z or other vehicles in this class. It uses fuel like an engine that's 3x its displacement.

It has two rotors, so that's .67(each rotor, half the total displacement) times 6. Basically it's a 4.0L V6 in a tiny little package no bigger than a typical 1.0L 4-stroke. Of course, Mazda geared it for performance instead of mileage, so the mile-high overdrive is effectively gone as well - which is why it doesn't get 28mpg. (Otoh, take an Accord V6 and manually lock it into 3rd gear(no overdrive) and watch it also get 21-22mpg highway.)

As for the fuel cost, 30 cents is the average spread. Based upon $1.50 gas, that 30 cent spread was 20%. Now, with $3.50 a gallon gas, it's 8.6%.(10% at $3.00) It's honestly not a big deal anymore.
    Nice analysis. Bravo.

Would gear ratios be the ultimate comparison for gas millage numbers. My RX-8 AT runs around 1500 RPM at 45MPH in 4th gear over drive. My 4 piston 2.2L POS Saturn SL runs around 1200 RPM at 45RPM in 4th gear over drive.

At highway speed my RX-8 AT runs 3000 RPM at 73MPH and my Saturn runs at 2800 RPM at 73MPH.

At 95MPH my RX-8 starts to taken on sweet private jet qualities in ride and wind sound. In theory my Saturn could do 95MPH, but the rattles, steering buzz and boat bouncing behavior have kept me from ever going much past 80MPH.
    Just saw the little videos 370Z and the G37S. From looks, descriptions and price of both these cars I just can't see why they are so freak'n popular. The RX-8 just seems to be a much better all around sports corp at a much better price.

I've ridden in previous versions of both cars and the ride is harsh at best on city streets. On the highway the 350Z and G35 would be nearly intolerable in many of the lower 48's poorly maintained highway surfaces. I can travel a 1000 miles in my RX-8 without any road buzz effect. The RX-8 seems tuned to dampen out the bad roads in this country of ours.
  • chparx8chparx8 Member Posts: 4
    New to the board and this has been a serious problem. Has happened 4 times in the last 12 - 15 months. VERY dangerous - I've been lucky I haven't been driving it hard when it did this. Two times no computer logs/records on it - dealer said it looked like nothing happened! Two of the times they had it for over a week before saying Mazda had given them a fix. First time this happened it was fine for about 6 or 8 months. NOW happening again. Mazda told them to soder certain positions of the power steering connector. car back for a week and did it again. Very scary - I have NO confidence the dealer or Mazda knows what's going on and I'm truly afraid to drive it ever again. I have loaner now while they try to decide what to do. it's on lease so I'm going to try to get them to terminate the lease and let me out of the car...
    Loss of steering or just the power to steer with easy. When it happens, is there any signal or does the steering wheel just get ripped out of your hands?

Were you driving on the highway? Seems like city driving would be worse.
    thanks for the post trispec. the problem is just the power. You can steer but very tough to move wheel. So you can make a slow turn into a street or driveway or parking lot, but you could not drive it this way. Owners manual and dealer always comes and tows it away. Seriously dangerous to drive this way. No real common occurances or patterns. Twice I was just coming out of a store or resturant and starting it up and had no power steering. Once happened after a long drive of about 2 hours and I was turning into my neighborhood doing about 25 mph. Another time after about 20 minutes of highway driving doing maybe 65. Mazda seems to have no clue what's going on. Dealer always on phone with Mazda techs.
    Am I the only one who's ever had this problem? Dealer and sales guys telling me never seen before...
  • bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    I just lost my powersteering TOO ! I just started my 04 Rx8 to go to work and noticed no PS when backing out,also the Orange Steering Wheel IDIOT Light was on.I shut itdown and restarted and have never had trouble since.
    Took in for 30k service and they couldnt find any trouble.I also keep on then about my auto tran hanging in 3rd when I pass,have to up shift manualy or wait a minute.
    Anyone else have leaking front wheel cylinders,both sides have puddles(stain) in my parking space ???
  • northfootnorthfoot Member Posts: 7
    I was just at my Mazda dealer looking for a car for my wife (the dealer also sells Volvos). He said he had heard that Mazda is discontinuing the RX8, but was not sure when. The Mazda web site has prices for the 2008 RX8, but has anyone else heard that it was being discontinued? My lease ends in 11 months, and I would hate to not have this available anymore. :(
    The only thing Mazda might do is make a RX9 or a version 2.0 of the car. It's their only rotary engine vehicle, afterall, so it will remain for the next decade or more in some form, if for no other reason than to keep the technology alive and for marketing purposes.

Now, if Mazda put a rotary in every vehicle... Well, I can dream, no?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Well there will certainly be an '08 and probably beyond.
    That's how it usually happens. Just come out to your car and the idiot light is on and no power. Usually will be ok if you turn it off and sit and try again. HOWEVER Mazda and now my dealer will not let me drive it once I call that this has happened. I've had it happen while driving twice and luckily I wasn't going fast or doing any serious driving or I would probably be dead. Its very dangerous when it happens and you're moving/driving. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS! I am going to try to contact Mazda directly. I've told my dealer I don't want the car back! But would take it back with their guarantee this time that the problem is solved.
  • rx8wannabrx8wannab Member Posts: 17
    Last night I lost my power steering too, while driving. Not fun--was driving down Sunset Blvd thru Beverly Hills--lots of twists in the road and manual steering takes muscle. Agree-very unsafe. At a light I turned off the car and turned it back on, and has been fine since.

Any further info or resolutions, bullwinkle or chparx8 (or others)?

2005 AT "The Blue Angel"
    Following up on my previous post: I took my 8 in to the dealer. Similar with others' experience, the tech hadn't heard of the power steering loss problem but was told by Mazda tech line to solder some connection. Hope that's the end of the story.
  • grinningrinnin Member Posts: 13
    One of the main purposes of a forum like this is to share infomation with one another when something goes wrong which can give the impressions that the RX-8 is a quality nightmare. I would like to make a counterpoint.

I bought a 2004 RX-8 slightly used in June of 2005 with about 5K miles on it. (26K miles on it now)I live in Boston.. I drive it on lots of short trips where the engine does not fully warm up. I have had NOT ONE single problem with the car.. ZERO.. NADA.. It has ALWAYS started, I put 1/2 qt oil in every 1000 miles, and I switched to the Avon all-seasons so I can drive it in the winter safely (which I do). I have hit 122 mph on the Mass Pike at 2am, and I take offramp cloverleafs at 50-60 mph.

Three plus years later I still smile when I look at my car and I love my wife for saying yes when I wanted it so bad.
    Bingo another Boston urban rotary road runner. My 2005 RX-8 AT Sport Group 2 build, Nordic Green has 34K. My commute from Hyde Park through the Stony Brook reservation over to the BC campus is one hell of a great ride, (provided the HP and BPD aren't around) with three traffic rotarys to run and low traffic. There's a big swooping "S" going by the Chestnut Hill mall that's fantastic to blow by those who are scared by the turn at the bottom of the hill.

I've got Avons as well for the weather, mostly the wet stuff and the quieter ride. I burn half a quart every 1K, and millage is 15MPG to 17MPG depending on the amount of paddle shifting. I've not had any problems either. Nothing like this car. Dream ride and I mostly stay in 2nd gear.

Recently, discovered a $40 Bell bike rack that can be configured very low to the trunk to carry three mountain bikes at almost horizontal so highway speeds aren't slowed. Now we can drive anywhere, pop the bikes off, ride through the best scenery New England offers, then drive back passing everyone in their hulking camper sized SUVs just like a sports car should. This bike rack also keeps the bikes from blocking the tail lights, just need to be careful the bikes don't knick the paint going on. (I got knicked, but no dent) Once locked in place the bikes become a solid part of the car. The weight, roughly 150lb, is positioned at six points, two points at the bottom of the rear glass, two points at the edge of the trunk and two point just below the Mazda symbol on the back of the trunk. The rig self tightens onto the trunk as the car takes the bumps. With the rack attached, the trunk lid can still be fully opened.
    Good point! I should make it clear that even with the PS going out the one time, I wouldn't trade my car for anything else on the road within $20,000 of it.

Now, if my engine blows the day after the warranty expires, I may rethink! ;)
    Remember that if your PS goes out when say you are taking a tight turn at 50 or 60 mph and you go over an embankment, crash into a guard rail, cross a medium and go head on into traffic, you may never have a chance to buy another car! It's happened to me 5 or 6 times, once on a highway at freeway speeds, it is a scary experience...If you have this issue, and I would think most will and continue to drive it, I would be sure my life insurance policies are kept up to date.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • lovlyladielumplovlyladielump Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,
    So, I am new to this site and no, I don't have an RX8, yet. I am planning on getting one by next summer hopefully. I have wanted this car for quiet some time now, and I have started to learn more about it and research information on it.

This is what I want in my future baby:
    Year: 2006 or 2007
    Exterior: Black
    Interior: Red and Black
    Transmission: Triptonic, I'd rather it be automatic, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a sports car, but I can always get it switched to manual if I please.
    Rims/Wheels: 18" Sevas S 55 http://www.d2autosport.com/wheels/sevas/s55chrome.jpg
    Tint: Not sure yet
    Body Kit: Infini Flared Urethane http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/me...ntshowcase.jpg
    Calipers: Red
    Detagged
    Navigation System (I get lost easily )

From what I have seen so far, this looks extremely sexy to me. I have looked up prices and it looks like it will be somewhere between $20,000 to $25,000.
    I wanted to ask if this sounds like a good idea, or if it's too much money to put into it or if you have any thoughts or suggestions please let me know. None of my friends have RX8's. And I am not sure who to turn to.

Thank You So Much,
    Hope to Hear From Someone Soon
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    How would you get an automatic switched to manual? Just curious.
  • jimaryjimary Member Posts: 2
    Could you please identify the model of Bell bike rack that fits the RX8? I have been looking for a good fitting rack for some time with no success. Thanks for your Help.
    Jim
  • trispec2007trispec2007 Member Posts: 15
    It was this model at Walmarts web site. Mine was a triple, but this one in the link is a double. I guess they stopped selling the triple.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3918

It took a number of times for me to figure out how to make this model work. As Walmart has it pictured, if you try to make it work, you're courting disaster. Here's a step by step. As Walmart has it picture, the weight of the rack will dent the RX-8 trunk lid and the rack will down slip and directly through the top of the plastic bumper.

1) In the Walmart picture, if your zoom in you may be able to see it better, there are two armatures. The armature as pictured, that's resting on the top of the trunk or boot (Brits, love ya) needs to be folded back under so that this first armature rests about an inch from the end of the trunk. This armature position also means that the main top support armature will need to move forward until it rests directly on the edge of the trunk lid and the bottom of the rear window glass. Also the bottom support will move up the back of the trunk so that on the RX-8, the Mazda logo, is covered by the lower support armature.

2) The positioning that above configurations means that the bike will lay much more horizontal following the curve of the RX-8, resulting in much less wind resistance and above the car, NOT behind the car like most bike racks.

3) The critical engineering advantage of the above is that the bike rack will have three points (really six padded points) of contact with the trunk and car rather than the two (or four pads). This adds to the stability and the contact points are at the strongest parts of the car, at the bottom of the rear window, the rear folded edge of the trunk and the spot just behind where the trunk latches inside car.

4) Now here's the most critical little trick of all. The straps shown at the top of the picture need to be wrapped back over the top of the armature that's folded back to the edge of the trunk. These straps need to be pulled tight as possible at all times. This will mean that as the weight of the bikes bounces, the armature be pushing up on the straps which will cause the whole bike rack to be tightened as the straps will being pulling at the top of the trunk lid with each bounce as shown. The back lower support will slip down off the Mazda logo, but the low support will be constantly pulled tighter and tighter as well. The RX-8's tight ride means that the straps configured this way will act as a shock absorber that tightens the load to the trunk as you drive.

5) Be very care when attaching the bikes. Since the bike are weighing down onto the top of the trunk the little arms that you strap the bikes to are not taking the weight as they would if the bikes were hanging more off the back of the car. The bike rack frame takes the full weight. BUT, the arms sticking up, need to act as posts to which the bikes at attached to KEEP the bikes from shifting LEFT and RIGHT. If the bike shift left or right during travel, they can drupe down such that the wheel bolts can scratch the paint. I strongly recommend strapping the bike seat post or below vertical bike frame below the seat, as tightly as possible to armatures sticking up to avoid the left and right shifting of the bikes.

6) Be careful lifting the bikes onto the bike frame. They are above your RX-8's rear window and trunk. Dropping a bike in these circumstance would obviously have a really bad effect on your car. Take you time. Rest between stages. It gets easier each time, but always take your time. Damage, of any kind will ruin the whole bike trip.

7) Check that the straps are tight before, during and after putting the rack and bikes onto the trunk. Also check the straps before, during and after driving the RX-8 fully loaded. Drive a couple of miles and then check the straps. If going on the highway watch the straps in the rear view mirror because they will start flapping a lot when they get loose.

8) Avoid putting anything of weight on the top of the rear bump. The bumper on top is just a thin piece of plastic. There's nothing but air under the top of the bumper. I punched my bike rack's lower support right through. Near disaster. That's what lead to my putting the bike rack over the car rather than the tradition hanging off the back like most configurations.
  • jimaryjimary Member Posts: 2
    Thnks for your help with the Walmart rack. I've made it work well on my trunk using most of your ideas.
  • lagniappe1lagniappe1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what the best automotive bulbs out there that are available for my Mazda RX8 vehicles? I have night vision problems. Someone told me that SilverStar Ultras were good. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The best is to use the OEM HID lights that are standard on sports pack and up RX-8s. If you have a base model, you may can retrofit the OEM HID lights to them, but it will not be cheap.

None of the aftermarket "xenon" bulbs will really produce more light than new, OEM style halogen capsules. The only way to get more light is to use higher wattage bulbs (but this would fry the wiring if you don't use relays) or install an aftermarket HID kit. Both of these options are probably not legal.

You could add aftermarket driving lights, that would probably be your best, cheapest, and most legal method for getting more light when you are out on the open road.

Dennis
    A small 10W or so increase is safe, but most of the aftermarket bulbs use visual trickery to make them appear brighter by coloring the light to be bluer. IIRC, there is a ~10W or so bit of leeway. So while OEM usually are 55W, you can go up to 60 or 65W(see below though)

Tests done in France have shown that visibility is actually best with slightly yellow tinted light and despite the apparent brightness of blueish light, it scatters and projects far worse than longer wavelengths. So it turns out the old sealed beams and OEM lights are best.*

*99% of cars come from the factory with substandard wiring harnesses. Upgrading the wiring to your lights is a good weekend project and will increase your light output greatly. A headlamp operating at 11V can literally be half as bright as 12V, especially with HID designs. People spend all sorts of money on higher output bulbs when the wiring is most likely at fault.
    "*99% of cars come from the factory with substandard wiring harnesses. Upgrading the wiring to your lights is a good weekend project and will increase your light output greatly. A headlamp operating at 11V can literally be half as bright as 12V, especially with HID designs. People spend all sorts of money on higher output bulbs when the wiring is most likely at fault."

That's an interesting premise, but do you have some data to support that claim? It would seem that if the wire were substandard, the heat generated by the wire's resistance could create a safety issue. I'd be surprised that automotive electrical engineers would over-look this.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    When you put hotter burning bulbs, like aftermarket HIDs, in your vehicle, and don't change the wiring harnesses, you stand the chance to melt the harness, and then have to get it replaced. I see it quite often.
    The wiring isn't substandard from a safety standpoint, it's just that they use the smallest gauge that gets the job done(bigger wires cost more money). As a result, you often get situations where the lights need X amps and you get 80% of that. It's within specs for the U.S. market, so they do it to save some money.

Add in after-market bulbs in an attempt to compensate and things start pushing the limits. The wires themselves would need 2-3 times the current to actually fail/catch on fire - it's the relays and such that blow first.
    I wasn't talking about hotter bulbs; neither was he.
    I understand that larger wire costs more and that they will use what is adequate, but I disagree that the bulb is being supplied with 80% of its demand.

I'm familiar enough with the business to know that this would not be the case and, in fact, a margin of over-specification is added.

Of course, if you have a roll of 12 guage wire and an ammeter, you could always test it and post your results of OE spec vs. Monster Cable (headlight wire of course).
    Monster Cable is a gimmick, actually. All that matters is the gauge. Most headlights are wired up with 16 gauge wire when they really should be running 14 or 12. The makers don't care as long as it will work and not cause a safety issue. So you end up with wiring that is running at exactly 12V. The issue is as the wire ages, it goes from being just at that limit(cost cutting after all) to 11.5V and then 11V and so on. Often within a few months. Many makers ship cars that are already at 11.5V or so and don't care.

ie - the headlights light up and everything works and they saved some money. Also, running the bulbs undervoltage a bit, as long as they are within the spec for minimum wattage(technically 45W for a high beam, though 55W is considered standard) makes them last a bit longer, so you can use cheaper bulbs. Running 12V lamps at 11.5 drops their output by about 15-20% on average, but doubles their life.

So shipping the car with 11.5V lights that put out 50W instead of 55W, well, that still gets a pass by the DOT for light output and you saved a few dollars per car.

Kind of like OEM tires and brakes. It's something that works at a minimally acceptable level but that should be replaced as soon as possible if you're driving something other than a sportscar/it came with those upgrades.

Unfortunately the wiring harness isn't something that the average person can swap out like tires(okay they CAN, but for most people if it's not as simple as a screwdriver and a socket/plug they don't bother - go figure) Instead they typically get brighter bulbs. After all, it's $20 at the local Auto Zone and there's a huge wall of them all proclaiming how they will make your lights brighter...
    Maybe I'll need to do the test myself to get the answer.

Anyone have a nice inductive ammeter I can borrow?
    My dealer tells me the ruff idle and miss is do to trailing coil and plugs gone bad " under warranty" BUT leading plugs are bad and not covered because there are fouled. Could the bad trailing coil and plugs have caused the leading plugs to go bad ? They want $320.00 for parts and labor for replacing leading plugs even tho they are right there replacing trailing plugs and coil !!! I mentioned this idle and miss to them 4 mo's ago and all they said was that its all controled by the computer.
    What year and mileage?
    I bought it in Feb. 2004 with a automatic and have 36700 miles. The dealer dropped the charges for the two plugs and labor from $320. to $213. because I pitched a fit and reminded them that I complained about the ruff idle and miss 6 months ago when I had the 30K service done.
    So were you not due to change the plugs in 800 miles anyway?
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    RE: vibration when in gear and at a stop

-Do you have an auto or stick? There is a TSB for that with the auto, the stick has one too but if I remember correctly symptoms are different and the car is moving.
    The service rep checked and said recommended replacement of plugs was at 60K miles.I have a new post regarding a Loud Vibration when in gear and at a stop.
  • femedyfemedy Member Posts: 1
    My fellow owners got a quick one really. Does anybody know the cheapest and/or the best place to get the sat Nav dvd compatible with the Rx8 2004 model?

Can i use a copy? does anyone have one?

Im in need....Help!!