Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Ooops, didn't see you already bought. OK, well for the next person who evaluates.....
  • Thanks anyway. I too do not know how much attention to give CR, but they do now list the 9-3 as a recommended car. Thanks again. CHEERS!
  • did you ever get an answer to your question? I've heard it may be the sludge build up in the turbo, or old oil, but I'm just now experiencing it myself on my 2007 9-3, and I'm curious.
  • I live in the west where we have "JiffyLube". They would not touch it. they have before, and gotten burned, because they did not have the rubber seal to replace on the filter, and they had customers reporting leaking problems. they also did not have a full synthetic oil, only a blend, and that is not recommended. I then went to "Oil Can Henry", and they have the know how, and the right oil, but they charged close to $100.00/change. My local dealer charges only $79.00. That's my experience. Personally, I change it myself every 5,000 miles now. I have to purchase the filter @ the dealer (no local stores have them), and I've found the best price for Mobil1 synthetic at Walmart, of all places, purchased in the 5 qt container.
  • saab88saab88 Posts: 1
    I have 21k on my 2007 93 and was told the same things except I caught it before the rotors were blown so it' only going to cost me a little over $250 - called a couple other dealership and they said the same thing. Saab uses rear brakes first, so they wear out more quickly. It's odd, but then so is the Saab. The front brake pads were in fine shape, but new rear pads every 20k for a highway driver is crap and god only know what other crap is going to pop up. Good think I got a good deal on the car. Did you end up getting the work done at a dealership or take it elsewher
  • Hey Saab88,

That's strange that those rear brake issues have already happened on a 2007...when I joined these forums before puchasing a used 2006 9-3 Aero (with only 2,000 miles on it) in February, 2008, everyone was bitching about the rear brakes going out to quickly. It didn't deter me from taking the Swedish plunge though. I now only have 14,500 miles on my Aero, which is a little heavier than the four cylinder 9-3 and my brakes still have never had one issue. (Knock on wood). Most of my driving is stop and go driving around town too. I only hop on the interstate to get to the ski mountain...have you truly considered the way you drive?? I know you said it's mainly highway miles, but do slam on your brakes a lot? Do you have an auto or manual? Do you live or work in a congested area? If you have a stick, are you diligent about downshifting as much as possible? No offense, but with brake issues, the driver is often as much to blame as the manufacturer...all things considered, minor brake work isn't that bad for what the Saab offers overall. That car will last you 10-12 years if it's properly driven and cared for, no sweat. Even after all that GM has tried to infuse in the egineering...try owning an Audi or a Volvo and see what your cost of ownership is...there's a chance that Saab is going to go under because GM is dumping them by the end of this year, and the Swedish government just announced they do not intend to rescue the company. If you try to sell your car now, or trade it in, you'll get hosed in the market. You might as well pay for the repairs once a year, and continue to drive it in an optimal manner like I'm sure you already do. Saab uses very powerful brakes, on a relatively heavy car (because of its safety features), so the trade off for quick stops is fast brake wear. You can't have both. Yeah, it's a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] cleaning off all the brake dust constantly, but that's the price to pay for riding your brakes and stopping quickly.
    If you claim your driving is all highway miles, than there's no reason why this vehicle won't last you a decade, and save your [non-permissible content removed] once or twice while you're distracted by your Blackberry. Suck it up, or take it up with GM-Saab itself if it continues to persist, and leverage the lemon law clause. Otherwise, your bitching provides no value to these discussions.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,450
    Find a well regarded foreign car repair shop in town and have them do your next brake job. They have access to various suppliers and will do the job for less.
  • I may have missed other discussion of this topic but what do folks think the whole Saab mess in Sweden and its separation from GM will have on resale values?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
  • andyv1andyv1 Posts: 9
    What will have an effect on re-sale value will be that GM depreciated the value of the car by offering $15,000 off sticker price of the 2008 to get rid of them, Not bankruptcy.
  • Thanks...hadn't heard about that. OUCH!!!!
  • 2tiny2tiny Posts: 2
    i WOULD NOT BUY THE 2003 SAAB 9-3 ARC. IT IS THE WORST CAR THEY EVER MADE MORE PROBLEMS THAN YOU CAN BEGIN TO KNOW MY LATEST OUT OF MANY WAS THE AIRBAGS WENT OFF i WAS PARKED NO CRASH JUST WENT TO START THE CAR AND BANG. NOT FUN VERY DANGEROUS
  • andyv1andyv1 Posts: 9
    Call Corporate at GM. they actually do try to help. After many issues with my old Saab (have a 2007 now), I was given close to $5000 in coupons for a new Saab... Bought one,, depreciated value...issues that are under warranty..It is what it is...
  • allanwallanw Posts: 1
    I have a 93 vector sport. I'm sure that i have when playing with the info system seen a way to reset the service indicator. i didn't as there wasn't a need. i have now done 72000 and had the service done by a non saab dealer, but we cant reset the service indicator, when i go into the info system and get to the service part it only give me a message to say oil quality '0% time to service 255 days. All I can do is accept. the service book states that i should be able to see other information nd res the service indicator, any ideas as to how i do this
  • We have a 2003 9-3 Linear (42k miles) which is really a fun car to drive (my wife particularly loves it). But I've almost had it with maintenance issues. Mechanically the car has performed almost flawlessly, but the lesser issues have begun to kill us.

Here's what's gone wrong over the years:

1. 2003: TCS module went bad, replaced under warranty.
    2. 2004 or 2005: many burned out headlight bulbs, followed by damage to the lamp wiring harness in front (charred and melted wires). Replaced under warranty.
    3. 2004-2006: balky sunroof. Repaired several times. Still takes several attempts to close. I've basically stopped using it.
    4. 2008-09: Leak behind drivers seat soaked Amplifier1, which first made popping noises then finally died. Dealer estimated $1,200 to replace. I'm dealing with a SAAB radio guy to have it fixed more cheaply.
    5. 2005-2009: plastic delaminating from dashboard in several areas.
    6. Last week: Fuel gauge died.

I'm pretty sure I've left something out here, but that's the gist of it. Until recently I felt that these issues were minor enough (as irritating as they were at the time) to not change how I feel about the car overall. After the last few months, though, I'm beginning to have serious doubts and am actively thinking about selling the car. What will be next?
  • pracinepracine Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 9.3 Saab arc. I too had numerous problems, including the need to replace my transmission - $4,000. Luckily, I had purchased the extended warranty.
    Admittedly, the dealer has been very good at taking care of anything and everything that was needed at no cost. I too love this car, particularly the design of the dashboard. I'm afraid I am going to have to trade it in for a different brand, however. Recently, my rear brake pads/rotors needed to be replaced after only 17,000 miles. The first time, I had gone 45,000 before needing them replaced. I was told that Saab changed the composition of the pads. They did replace the pads only for me this time at no charge, but I cannot afford $500 to replace pads and rotors every 17,000 miles. This coupled with my extended warranty being up next January tells me it's time to trade it in.
  • I had a 2003 Saab 9-3 linear up until this February with the odometer reading in at about 90,000 miles. I purchased the car for $17k at the end of 2006 with 58,000 miles on the odometer. The car had the following problems: surfacing to knobs was rubbing off (by the time of purchase), passenger side vent broke, rear brakes replaced twice, front brakes replaced once, check engine light came on about 12 different times, the cruise control stopped working, the exhaust system apparently broke twice (the motor that takes the exhaust out of the engine or something to do with the turbo, either way it was about $2000 to fix both the problems), front lights went out about 3 times each, brake lights went out 2 times each, tail lights went out once, the gear selector fell apart, the airbag failure warning came on twice, the brake failure warning came on once, it failed to reverse on one occasion, the radio and climate control lighting went out twice, the alloy came off of the wheels despite taking meticulous care to clean them regularly, the front passenger window motor broke, the bumper was too low so that I would end up smacking the front of the car on most driveways and parking lot entrances. There was more, but I can't even remember it all at this point. In the end, after putting far too much money into repairs, I traded it in for - get this - $2000. THERE IS NO TRADE IN ON THESE CARS. I know it was a high mileage car, but yikes. I loved this car, but it was not meant to be. The trade-in value was officially $3500, but they said that it would cost them $1500 to haul it and file papers with the auction house since they could not sell it on their lot. Save yourself a headache. If you love Saabs I would say lease one, although if they don't make it through that may not be an option. Good luck to everyone. Sincerely, j.
  • Since the new owners, Koenigsegg, are just taking over, it might be a while.

GM may still service them, or not.

Unfortunately, this is the first time I was able to pay cash for a new car--haven't had real problems, and now this.

I think we all need to be prepared to practically "give" them away.

I'm also interested in what everyone thinks or knows. Thanks
  • yuyundyuyund Posts: 2
    2005 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan. 48, 000 miles. The factory warranty will expire in the end of Aug 2009.

The dealer is offering bumper to bumper extended warranty:

$1,680 for 2 year or 24,000 miles, plus $200 deductible each visit, or
    $2,125 for 3 years or 36000 miles, +$200 deductible each visit.

I have owned this car for less than 1 year and have been to dealership 4-5 times for little mechanical or electronic problems here and there, including window won't come up, check engine light was on, lights burn out, door rattling noise, radio problem, AC vent broken, taillight losening, antanna crack, taillight falling, etc.

I like the driving experience this SAAB has brought to me. But the little problems are annoying. Has anybody experienced any more severe/expensive problems for a 7-8 years old 9-3? Should I buy the extended warranty? Or should I just sell this car and get a more reliable car?

Any thought will be welcomed! Thanks.
  • shihanbshihanb Posts: 17
    Whatever you do, don't go with a "dealer" warranty. The only warranty of value is a GM warranty that would be honored in any dealership in the country.

If you have a "dealer" warranty and your car breaks down in another state, forget about it. Also, i once had a dealer warranty and the dealer went out of business.

If it is a GM warranty be careful. For example, brake work is not covered by the warranty, nor is something like a clutch rebuild on a manual, they are all considered "normal wear and tear".

Getting a gm warranty is a crap shoot, it may be worthwhile if the engine or powertrain goes.
  • I'm very interested in buying a used '07 or '08 SportCombi but have some concerns about reliability and maintenance costs once the warranty expires. I checked Edmunds True Cost to Own and noticed that the projected maintenance costs decrease significantly from the '06 through the '08 models. Combined maintenance and repairs over five years for the models are as follows: 2006 $10,428; 2007 $8,170; and 2008 $5,619. Any idea what accounts for this? Consumer Reports doesn't rate the '06 models very highly, but say the '07's are "average" for reliability. I'd like to keep the car for 7-10 years ideally. Is there really a difference between the '07 and '08's in maintenance or are they just too new to really know yet? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • I have had two recent Saabs. My 2005 9-3 2.0t small turbo had few problems except needed rear brakes at 20,000 miles. Other than that, a few bulbs burned out..but that was it. The car got great mileage and was very comfy. Handling was not great. The car leaned like crazy in turns..very disappointing. It felt like they left out half of the suspension. Had the car into Saab dealer for this problem. They insisted that they found no problem but kept the car for 10 days. VERY STRANGE. I had no intention of leasing another until drove the 2008 2.0T. What a difference. The car handled much better, was much faster with large turbo and 6 speed manual. Best of all with loyalty, the car cost me $229 per month. How could I turn that down? So far,car has been perfect..no problems. I'm sure the car will need rear brakes again and will argue with my dealer about that. Car is quick, comfy, handles decently, gets 25 mpg, has good brakes. It is a BMW?..No..but let's see you lease a Bimmer for $229/month. NEVER buy this car..lease it. Let them fix it..not you.
  • Thanks for the input. I heard that GM discontinued leasing for '08-'09 Saabs, but I guess that was wrong. Sounds like a good deal - I can see why so many people lease Saabs rather than buying them. I prefer to buy a low-mileage used car and drive it into the ground, but the repair costs are the one thing I worry about with Saab. Buying used seems like a good deal because they depreciate so fast the first couple of years. I don't know why anyone would throw 30-40K at a new Saab unless they've got $ to burn.
    The 08's had 4 years free maintenance. the 09's 3 years. They use synthetic oil and can go 10k between oil changes. New 2.0 9-3's are discounted heavily. Wouldn't be afraid to buy one -- if you maintain it well you shouldn't have any major problems for many miles. Engines and transmissions apparently are solid. Used ones have the potential for big repair bills and that seems to be a big concern of yours so you might want to pass on that option. Unless you find a real gem with a great repair history. Happy hunting.
  • I live in the Northeast area and am looking to purchase an 09 Saab 9-3, automatic, sunroof, and heated seats. I've read on the board that they are heavily discounted but not sure how much of a discount I should be looking for. Does 27K sound reasonable or can I do better than that? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    3-4k better. If you can't find one check out the passat comfort. Selling 23-24k.
  • Jayrider,

Thank you so much for your reply. Currently, they are selling demos here for about 24-25K. But you think I could get brand new for the same price?

I was tempted to buy demo with 6,000 miles for 25K but I lose a year of warranty. That's why I'm thinking I would be better off buying new. Just wondering where I should start with price.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help.
    There are saab dealers in st. louis advertising new 9-3's for under 25k. They only have a few so they are unloading them. Saab is not a big seller in this area but still has areas of the country where they are more popular and command better closeout prices. If you expand your shopping area and don't mind spending a few hundred bucks to fly in to a dealer and driving home you can probably save enough on a new one to come out ahead. Go to the auto search sites and punch in the model you want nationwide. Make calls to dealers internet site near to far and look for under 24k. Cars.com has listings in downers grove illinois for 24-25k new. Use it to get your local dealer to match or travel. Others are listed. Go from lowest price to high. good luck. I really liked the test drive i took last year but would really lean toward the passat with saab uncertainty -- parts/service.
  • I have a Saab 9-3 with a manual, and now over three times the knob has popped off the stick making it impossible to put the car in reverse without spending a lot of time putting the knob back on.

My mechanic and i looked at it, and it appears that it is just a press fit, so the knob starts backing out and finally any upward pressure and it just pops off.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to correct it?