Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Again, Saab's financial troubles concern administrative issues in Europe and have no real effect on dealerships in the US.

Perillo is cramped for space at the Diversy lot where it sells Saab and Lincoln/Mercury. Most likely, it will sell that lot to housing developers and combine Saab with its BMW operations closer downtown.

But I know from the Perillo salespeople that they have sold more than 10 9-3s already, with little advertising. The car is being received well in Chicago. There is no reason for Perillo to stop carrying what is selling.
  • May I ask which BMW you owned? If it's the 3-series, what year and how would you compare it against your 9-3 Linear in terms of ride/handling in normal weather & condition? Is the ride bumpy or comfortable in both cars? I like the Vector but worry about the ride of those "sport suspension" they use. I believe the Linear might have a softer suspension for a more comfortable ride than the BMW?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A journalist with a major newspaper wants to talk with consumers who've bought entry-lux cars (e.g. BMW 3, Mercedes c-coupe, Jag X-type, Audi a4, etc) in the last year, ideally buyers who were new to the luxury brands, to talk about how they like their cars and why they bought them. Please respond asap by Wednesday, December 4 to jfallon@edmunds.com with the type of vehicle and approximate amount you paid for it. Thanks!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Has anyone read Edmund's review of the 9-3? They seem to like the car, but I didn't come away with the impression they loved it. Of coarse, I've never put much stock in their reviews anyway. Several things they did complain about were the automatic tranmission and the audio system's lack of bass. The overall opinion seemed to be the new 9-3 is far superior to the old one, but waiting for the Arc and Vector might be the order of the day. Their review said those models will have a 13 speaker 300 watt sound system among other things. Also, their acceleration tests had the automatic Linear doing 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.2. Not bad for a 175 hp four and I would imagine and manual would be quicker. For me though, I'm wondering if waiting a few months for the Arc wouldn't be a bad idea. An extra 35 hp never hurts and I certainly want a decent audio system. BTW, does anyone know if the Arc and Vector will offer XM radio? Also, are both the Arc and Vector going to have a 6 speed manual or just the high end model?
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    From Edmunds review: With a couple of screens already on the dash, some of you might wonder why a navigation system is not on the options list. A nav system is available in the European market, but Saab has not yet decided whether to offer it in the U.S. for 2004. We suspect that its omission has something to do with limited consumer interest; a J.D. Power survey released last year found that less than one percent of 2001 model year vehicles were equipped with nav systems. And Saab, a company that deals in smaller volumes, likely cannot afford to peddle an unpopular option.

Is this really true? I want Nav!
  • "but Saab has not yet decided whether to offer it in the U.S. for 2004."

They haven't decided yet. Hope they do offer it here. Regarding those JD Power surveys, I hope they don't survey those cars that don't offer Nav as an option.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I never owned a 3 series, but did have a '97 540i auto/ w sport suspension added and replaced that with a '98 540i sport 6 speed that was in better shape cosmetically and a better color (artic silver vs. montreal blue). I did test drive 4 different 3 series cars (325, 325 sport, 330 sport, 325 coupe sport). The 5 feels heavier, of course, but overall, the BMWs give slightly better road "feel", meaning you feel like you can tell exactly what your tires are doing. But they are also smooth riding generally. The 5's have less body roll than the 3's, imo. With the sport package you could hear some tire noise, but it never felt loud. Neither Saab nor BMW is Lexus like quiet and isolated, but I consider that a good thing.

I consider both the Saab and BMW's to have a great combination of ride and handling. The Saab is really fun to drive, especially with the optional sport wheel/suspension package. When you factor in that a 3 y/o BMW cost me more than I'm driving a new 9-3 out for, I think the Saab gives 90% of the driving experience for a lot less money. Also, I'm frankly just tired of BMW's and the "stuff" that goes along with owning one. I also like that the 9-3 "feels" smaller than it is, even though it has interior room within an inch in most dimensions of the 5 series BMW.

I live in Georgia and so don't drive in snow more than once a year or so. We drove it last winter in snow and the traction control light was flashing but we didn't have any problems at slow speeds.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    My understanding is 6 speed manual on the Arc and Vector.

I am also unclear about the stereo on Linear models with the launch package. Edmunds goes on and on about it only being the Infotainment 1 system, but the Saabusa.com website says it is Infotainment 2. I dont' have an audiophile's ears, so I only tested it briefly. Ours is in transit from another city, and I won't pick it up till this weekend. It should say on the sticker, I assume. I also notice that Saab is now calling it "Entertainment 1/2". But whatever the test cars had, they sounded decent to me.

The auto transmission felt slightly less smooth than the BMW's, but that's the best I've ever driven. But it felt superior in terms of response to that of the Infiniti G35, which has more hesitation to kickdown. For a 4 cylinder turbo, I thought it had very smooth, immediate power. A little more engine noise than the BMW inline 6, but again, that one is the best.

Finally, I read one review on the web from another country that said expect the 210 hp units to reach 60mph .5 seconds faster.

My question is....anyone know of a place to look in the future for Saab turbo "chips" to boost up to the Arc/Vector .80 bar?
  • I agree on the 6 speed.

Try Hirsch for power upgrade. They are a Czech company and have taken the old 2.0 turbo 205-hp Aero (Euro model) and given it 280-hp and 400 Nm torque (more than just a chip upgrade, I think). If the new engine/turbo can handle the pressure/heat get the 6 speed and you should be able to do this.
    www.saab-performance.com
    www.hirsch-performance.ch
  • The new 9-3 received 5 stars in the Euro NCAP tests.

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm (see latest results)

Just don't get hit by one if you're walking across the street. (one star of possible 4)

I think that the Saab can give you all but the assurance of reliablity. The last 5 years of Saabs have been pretty good and their customer commitment is better than most manufacturers.

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Can any Saab owners out there tell me what servicing costs are like for their current 9-3 or 9-5s? One thing that always scares me about luxury brands is the jacked up servicing costs associated with them.
  • I drove a new 9-3 5 speed manual. Liked the car but there was one very annoying ergonomic factor. My foot would fit under the clutch pedel while cruising along. The first time in 25 years I have experienced it. There is a foot rest to the left for my clutch foot, but its not where i like to keep that foot. This is crazy.
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    OK...so where the heck do you put 13 speakers?
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    each side front footwell - 2
    top and bottom each front door - 4
    top and bottom each rear door - 4
    Back sill - 2
    Subwoofer somewhere under a seat or in trunk - 1

= Boom...13 speakers.

(sorry for having this conversation with myself on the board - that was a complete waste of 8 mins of my life)
  • scroll back and you'll see a thorough explanation of the infortainment. briefly, i followed your reasoning via the saab website, assuming the launch package had the 300 watt upgrade, infortainment 2 system. my salesman said no. i contacted saab via there website, and they actually called me admitting their website was confusing. the launch package has the onstar, infortainment dash package (which is fully integrated into the steering wheel, computer system) but only 140 watt 7 speaker system. i got an apology, (but no upgrade). the stereo is OK. . not fabulous. I don't crank the thing anyway.Joe(&carol) the clutch pedal doesn't bother me at all, and i'm tall (6'4"). as far as Nav. . most people I know who have it never use it. many don't know how to use it. I could see it being useful 1-2X/year, but i'm not sure I'd pay for it.
  • 2001 9-3
    3300 km / month (Oct 2001 - August 2002)
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I was recommended by my serviceman to do oil&filter change every 8,000 km, the manual says up to 16,000 km (for all highway driving). I actually took it in around every 10,000 km at a cost of about $140 CDN per service (oil, filter, multi point check, tire rotation, etc.). My factory Michelin MXV4s will need replacing after 50,000 km (seems early to me). There is a valve sticking problem that was fixed (more or less) 6 months into ownership, covered by warranty (the asses gave me a saturn loaner).

So I was doing $500 CDN/ year + tires (winter and summer sets) = about $700 CDN/ year. Probably pricey compared with other cars, but I drove my car a lot and loved every minute of it.

Does 2003 come with 3 years service?

OnStar licks donkey in Canada. <- Just my experience (they couldn't find a provincial park in Ontario, I found the nearest hospital before them by just driving around, they found IKEA and The Beer Store no problem)
    $140 for oil/lube/filter and tire rotation? Wow, that sounds like a lot. My Intrigue gets all that for $39.99 at my dealer. Do you have to bring it to the Saab dealer or can Jiffy lube do the job?
  • I take it to my Saab dealer, where the Saab qualified mechanic plays with my car. They do their multipoint inspection, top other fluids (transmission, brake, steering), and turn the 'Service Due' off on the SID (Saab Information Display) that pops up everytime you start the car, and whatever else.

I got it back from service once and the engine rpm self limiter was 300 rpm higher. Before I took it in I could do 97 km/h in second gear, now I can hit 104 km/h. Nice to avoid that last shift right before the bell. Of course if I shifted faster I should probably shift as I pass 90 km/h but that's neither here nor there.

I bought a near/entry-luxury car and intend on treating it right.
  • The British "Car" magazine did a comparo test of the 9-3 with 175hp, the Jaguar X-type 2.0 (which we don't have here, the Mazda6 2.3, BMW 320i, VolvoS60 2.0T, and surprisingly enough it was ranked near the bottom. Comments of note were harsh engine and questionable suspension set up.
    Well, if you have a nice car then yes you should take car of it. I know our Intrigue is not quite as expensive a car, but I baby it with a nice garage, 2 waxes a year and lots of washes and oil changes. Cars definitely last longer if you take good care of them.