Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• mumbhaimumbhai Member Posts: 11
    Guys,

My 03 93 Arc's OnStar system just died for the 5th time. I called the dealer and he told me that he can do what he did the last 4 times, remove and reinsert some fuse. I told him that it wasn't good enough cause I can't keep driving the dealer every month to have OnStar rebooted!

I called Saab customer service and asked them to replace the Onstar system and they have asked me to take the car to the dealer to see what can be done (did not say if he will/won't replace the system).

Personally I don't use Onstar but I find it VERY annoying that every time I start the car, it flashes that error about Onstar in the HUD. I know a lot of you will tell me to suck it up and drive the car (and yes, I do love driving this car) but I refuse to accept this kind of shoddy quality from a $30K car!

If they can't replace the Onstar system what would you do?

Mumbhai

PS: Sorry bout the rant.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    Sorry to hear that you have problem with on-star. When your on-star got installed. mine got installed after september, 03. most of time my wife use its free personal call minute everyday and pretty enjoy it. We didnt have time to try other feather yet. I am wondering how inconsistent quality on GM's parts. because it seems when to install on-star is important. found most of people complain about some problem fall into some period. Wish you fix on-star problem soon.
  • jerseysaabjerseysaab Member Posts: 7
    So my poor Saab 9-3 has already hit 15K. I brought it in for the standard service, telling them my additional problems. I feel the trans slip around 3rd to 2nd on hard acceleration, the door buzzing, and also my trip computer freezes every so often but then clears by the next morning! I got the car back it drives just how it did the first day I picked it up. Amazing!

Of course, they didn't hear the door buzzing (I hadn't heard it in about a week either so I can't blame them) but service did take the door panels to take a look to see if anything was loose and could'nt find anything. They coudln't duplicate the trip computer freezing either so i'll have to wait on that too.

They DID however test drive it and admitted the trans felt a little funny (so I'm NOT going crazy after all!). So they downloaded a new transmisssion patch or something into the system (I swear I don't think Saabs have engines...all they have is a big freakin computer under the hood with a motherboard that goes haywire every so often!)

So I'm in love again with my baby. Just as good as new. Of course, I didn't hear the buzzing for up to 3 days after I got the car back from them. Then last night it started again. Next time it happens if I'm in the area of the dealer, I'm driving it directly there just so someone can hear it and not think I'm going crazy.

Does anyone know any info about getting an mp3 player installed in a 2003 9-3 arc? how much? etc? Thanks!
  • sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    Jerseysaab, where do you hear the buzzing coming from? I hear it from the vicinity of the door lock (y'know the little thing that pops up). I also hear the buzzing more frequently when I am taking a sharp curve at moderate (40-50 mph) speed. I think the car may be flexing a little as it rounds the curve.

Every now and then when I hear the buzzing, I have the urge to pick up my cell phone and call the service dep't. Typically, as I debate with myself, the buzzing goes away. Maybe that's the solution :-)

Seriously though, the next time I bring the car in (probably for the upgrade to Onstar), I'm gonna ask a tech to give me thirty minutes to drive around all the local roads where I usually hear the buzzing. If that doesn't work, I think I'll have to live with it.
    for some crazy reason, i don't hear the buzzing when the car is VERY cold, it only starts (unless it's my imagination) when the car has been running for awhile...anyone else notice this!? I haven't been able to pinpoint where the buzzing is coming from. definitley not from the speakers though, that i do know. i'll keep playing around with it to try finding out!
  • philpvillephilpville Member Posts: 5
    Just had a blizzard in the Northeast. I was very pleased with how my new '03 9-3 held the road. Much better than my Passat. Very sure footed.

I also had the tranmission slip problem, which was also fixed perfectly after the dealer plugged it into the computer.
  • glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    While I can't say that I'm thrilled with the interaction between the engine and the tranny on my 9-3, I don't know that I can blame it on the slipping problem that several folks have reported. Can anyone plse describe how this prob is manifesting itself ?
  • luba1luba1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Jersey Saab,

Ive had my 2003 9-3 w/auto. tranny to the dealer 4 times for the tranny slipping between 2nd & 3rd, usually under hard acceleration and in the manual mode. The intermittent problem is happening more often, to me. The dealer has not been able to duplicate it. So they think I'm nuts. Would you tell me, specifically, what they did to resolve the problem?

This is really driving me nuts, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I was also very impressed with the car (and the Pirelli all seasons) in the snow driving home last Firday. Saw 4 cars pulled over (all BMW's) but I didn't lose traction once. And that was going up some pretty steep hills
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    18K miles, almost exactly a year old.....

Car has stalled 3 times, so it's a problem,but not earth shattering. All were at standstill, not with throttle applied. Still, an engine in the year 2003 shouldn't do this.

Seat has small creak at times, but it's hardly worth bothering with it's so small.

Car handles very well, though the difference from a true rwd sport sedan is still noticeable.

A fuse to fuel system blew first week, was replaced, and has since been fine.

Onstar reception is spotty, but it does work. I just don't see the need for it. When my 2 free years is up, It's not going to get renewed.

As expected with a 4 cylinder turbo, it has a little lag at first, but really goes good in the midrange once you're spooled up.

Very competent and stable at high speed on interstates. Brakes are fantastic for the price range. There are faster cars for the money, but Infiniti G35 needs interior updating, and the Acura TL is a good alternative if you must have blistering speed and a nice interior.

Very smooth transmission, though like most it doesn't kick down as crisply as I'd always like. It wants to run up to a higher gear a little fast for my tastes unless you keep it floored.

Needs fixing:

1. Overly complex stereo/climate/phone controls are a silly waste of money.

2. Dealers are disorganized and uninformed about updates and such.

3. Resale value is very poor. But I knew that going in. Going to hold for the long term to minimize the impact of that. Heavy discounting doesn't help, though.

4. Rear end styling isn't quite right. A little bulbous.

5. Saab needs to offer optional power upgrades at dealers. There is more potential in the engine. The various aftermarket euro ones are too expensive and too risky in terms of support and service.
    Atlguy, if you check boards you will find that most European makes will have problems. And these boards tend to attract complaints more than compliments. A honda it ain't, but it seems to be relatively solid, and many of the problems are annoying but not serious compared to broken transmissions and such.

Had two BMW's and they cost a ton to keep up even with an extended warranty. Past 50K some little thing was always going wrong. That's just Euro cars vs. Japanese.

Conversely, my 2000 Toyota Tundra was reliable, but even it had warped rotors and drums, 3 bad o2 sensors, seatbelt retractor problems, and a few other minor things over 4 years.

Finally, I will say that if you lay off the options and take advantage of recent discounts, the car is hard to beat in Linear form for the money. I had to overpay to get an early model (only about $1000 off sticker) and it was loaded, so it doesn't compare as well to say, an Acura TL. But a Black Linear with sport wheel/susp package and maybe auto trans if you want that is a pretty darn cheap Euro sport sedan. I enjoy the xenon headlights but the other extras I barely notice. In the mid/upper 20's the car makes more sense than at $35K, and from what I hear the 2.0 T engine in the other cars can be slower from a standing stop than the Linear's 2.0t. If I had $35K to spend I'd look at the Acura TL (nicer interior, faster, now looks decent).
    The 150w system has a high pass filter integrated that keeps low frequencies from the rear speakers, so the 6x9's don't help that much ( I know, I tried). I read that you can replace the front door 2ohm speakers with 4 ohm and tap into that power source and put a set of 6x9's in the rear w/o problems. No fading, but much better bass I'm told. Try a site called Saab Central, there are tons of posts there about the various upgrade routes.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I know this is the Saab 9-3 thread, but I'm curious what you all think of the new Saabaru 9-2x? Afterall, you all (and 9-5 owners too) probably represent true Saab owners feelings about what Saabs should be? Are you for it, or against it?

There's a lot of discussion over on the Subaru forms about this vehicle. A lot of people like it, and a lot don't.

BTW, there is a 9-2x thread here at Edmunds, if you rather post your comments over there.

Bob
  • bill42bill42 Member Posts: 29
    With the 9-2 aero supposedly getting the Subaru WRX engine what does that mean for the 9-3 aero? A new powerplant or a re-tuned existing engine or nothing? Hate to go buy a new 9-3 and discover that in 6 months a newer, higher output engine will be available.
    as to the implications for the 9-3. The 9-2x Aero is essentially a WRX (not just the engine) in slightly jazzier clothes; nothing more.

Bob
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    to a non-subaru drive train.

GM has been trying with no success to figure out a way to affordably transfer Subaru hardware into its other brands for a while.

The 2.0 turbo in the 9-3 is a new engine. Saab may do something with the new 2.4, but that is probably a ways off.
    http://www.9-2x.saabusa.com/#home

with a Saab nose, tweaked rear deck, and some interior parts (center dash) from the Forester and all-new '05 Legacy (steering wheel), and different wheels.

Bob
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    A 9-2 Sedan version of the WRX is to follow in either a 1/2 year or at the next model year. For the life of me I can not believe Saab/GM is making the WRX wagon the 1st offering for the 9-2.
    when I brought the car in I told them about the problem of the trans. They said they'd look at it but I assumed that they would think I'm a basket case (since I told them 2 other things I thought were wrong). Well the 2 other things they DIDN'T find so I was sure they couldn't find the trans problem. BUT...all I know is that they test drove it on the highway and all they said was that they did feel something funny with it.

They said they hooked it up to the computer and just downloaded a new fix for the transmission and now it works like new. I've been GUNNING it getting onto the highway just to make sure it really is fixed every once in a while.

let me see if i can find my receipt.....

OK...here's what it says word for word on what they did....don't know if it will help though =(

"TCM needs program upgrade download"

that probably wont help you too much though! But it might! good luck and let me know what happens
    Take a look at the January '04 Automoible. There is a great review on the as yet not named 9-3 Hatch.

New head Saab designer Michael Mauer dressed up the new 9-3 look and made a real winner, inside and out. There will also be some mechanical upgrades, with possibly up to 245 hp.

The concept is 80% production. Automobile predicts late '04 availability.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Why does everybody keep calling it hatch? It is a wagon. A nice one, sure, but the entire layout is pure wagon.
    I agree, as does the author of the Automobile article. It probably will be called an Estate in Britain as well.

For better or worse, as the article points out, in the US and Canada at least, the car will be called anything but a wagon. Saab apparently does not want to lose any 'Cool' factor for an important product. Why calling it a wagon would hurt its image is some odd quirk in many a NA's psyche.

Personally, I do not care what they call it. If the car is as nice as the 9-3s, it will fit my lifestyle perfectly.
  • kretch41kretch41 Member Posts: 13
    mrblonde...

What model of Pirelli's do you have? I have a Vector and am looking into changing tires for all-season.

-thanks
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Kretch -

I have the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons that came with my Arc. I see that they are 86 bucks each on tirerack.com. With another day of driving in the snow the past weekend, I have yet to feel the tires lose grip.

Side note - On tirerack, I did see drivers of other cars with these tires complain about sidewall damage when hitting holes or curbs, but this is the first I have heard of it. Never heard of a 9-3 driver mention it, and I read this and another Saab 9-3 message board
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I have Pirellis P6000 on mine, and had to replace the front tires within 14k miles. I'll probablky try Continentals next - supposed to combine longevity with low roll noise and comfort.
  • gsaxyzgsaxyz Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I am new to this board and am doing a 24 hr test drive of a gorgeous steel gray 9-3 Arc.
    Main complaints
    - left rear window does not go up/down-blown fuse?
    -huge blind spot on the C pillar
    -head restraints are juts too forward relative to where your main torso rests so it feels like your head is being pulled to much out. Is there a way to fix this? Anyone else experience these issues? Other than above, this is one awesome car. Great torque, braking, turning radius than BMW 528 I test drove.
    In some cars there is a safety switch on the rear door to prevent kids from lowering it and tumbling out. It might be engaged on that side.

yep, has the blind spot. So did our 5 series. So do many cars in the class, unfortunately.

Never a problem with the head restraints. Usually the reverse is the case, they're too far back for my taste.
  • anuthjanuthj Member Posts: 5
    My 2003 Arc now has nearly 10,000 miles on it. The first 1,000 miles were great, but ever since that time the shifting has been particularly dismal.

Shifting between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears is difficult. Many times the shifter refuses to engage the gear until the engine RPMs drop off considerable.

When coming to a stop and shifting back into 1st gear, occassionally I get a light grinding of the gears.

The higher gears seem fine however.

I've brought this to the dealer's attention a number of times now. Has anyone else had similar problems? Your comments on a solution are appreciated.

Thanks.
  • philpvillephilpville Member Posts: 5
    I agree that the hr's sometimes feel that they're pushing your head a bit forward. I get the same feeling when driving a new Volvo, but it's even worse. I think it's part of the safety picture. Gives the head very little opportunity to snap back in the event of a rear-end collision.

You get used to it. Much more comfy in the rear, by the way. They're placed just a bit lower.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    funny thing is that I feel very comfortable on driver side seat. but do feel have been push too forward on passenger side seat for this Head Restraints issue.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    AFter 7 years with a car with a seat which was not very comfortable, looking for something with looks and style but most importantly confy seats. Heard that Saab and Volvo are the best and love the 9-3 style so just looking for a few insights.
    I need to buy a car in a week and am torn between a used 2000 BMW 528 vs. new Saab 9-3Arc. Can anyone offer insight as to reliability, repair costs,of 9-3's. I would think the SAAB repairs are on par or a tad expensive due to the fact that there are not a lot of mechanics that specialize in them. In addition, turbos probably are less reliable due to more moving parts than naturally aspirated engines.
  • luba1luba1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your response. My 9-3 Arc (auto.) just went back to the dealer for the 6th time re; trans. slip from 2nd to 3rd. Would you mind giving me your dealers name and number? They obviously know something the dealers in SoCal don't(I've been to 2).

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

A very frustrated Luba1
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    A 2000 528 ought to be relatively reliable, and is a fabulous friver's car. Is it a CPO? I had both a '97 900SET and a '97 328i. The 328 was/has been much more reliable and cost less to keep up. Of course that's just one case, and both were purchased used. However, a new 9-3 arc is new and will have a warranty, free service, and you can bump that up to seven years. So the saab should help you not have unexpected repair costs for some time to come. Have you driven both, though?
    Driven 528 3-5 times in 3 months. Feels more solid less lithe than a SAAB. Had the 93 Xmas eve under their 24 hour test drive program. I thought it was in a lot of ways better than the bimmer. Turning radius, braking, acclerating, especially from 50-60mph. I bought the steel gray SAAB and will be taking delivery Friday. Still in the port of newark so they have to prep,etc. Wish me luck Can't wait.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Have you tried the Acura TL yet? Best of both worlds....

If it is between the BMW and the SAAB, SAAB is going to be more reliable and cost less to repair. With the value of the Euro going up up up, Saab has the advantage in that most of the parts are readily available (thanks GM). When shopping for a used 530i, the salesguy at Moritz BMW (Arlington, TX) came out and said, "Count on atleast $1000/year for maintenance." At 75000 miles, some sort of housing around the fan breaks ($500) so dealers just recommend replacing it before then.
    Driven 528 3-5 times in 3 months. Feels more solid less lithe than a SAAB. Had the 93 Xmas eve under their 24 hour test drive program. I thought it was in a lot of ways better than the bimmer. Turning radius, braking, acclerating, especially from 50-60mph. I bought the steel gray SAAB and will be taking delivery Friday. Still in the port of newark so they have to prep,etc. Wish me luck Can't wait.
    Thanks GBrianK. I thought of Acura tsx but is much smaller in the rear girth, TL is nice but I think I will be overpaying for torque that is unusable in the FWD setup. With a coupon from a friend, I got the 9-3 arc for 30K all in. I would think TL's would be around 35 all in. In addition, having owned a Honda for 14 years and test driven TSX's I still sense the honda lineage. For instance the brakes are "slushy" not like European cars. Thanks for the insights again
  • csabicsabi Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone. Check out this link; it's useful for the history of Saab, contains some useful info on the current 9-3 models, and it is also sometimes very funny.

http://www.epinions.com/content_113061432964

Cheers:

Csabi
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    i purchased one of the first 9-3's, linear, launch, 5 speed, in november 2002. i've owned saabs since 1983 (83 900 T for 115K, 91 9000T for 120K, 2000 9-3 5 door leased..all standards) I now have 12,000 miles in 13 months. had onstar installed 8 months later without issue. followed this site and made a few posts reviewing my initial experience. i really have had zero problems with rattles, stalling, programming garage opener etc. learned quickly that i knew more about the car then the dealer/salesman. my biggest complaints were the cheesey arm rest in itchy cloth (should have been grey leather) and horrendous sound system in a complex infortainment system, that took some time to master. i listen to talk radio mostly anyway, and cd's sound better then radio. i didn't think the upgrade that occurred with onstar helped rear sound much. This has been by far and away the best, most reliable saab i've owned. i've been given a great loaner car to drive at each service. I changed oil at 3500, and 10000 (inspection time)BUT because my computer didn't say it was time to change the oil, saab would not pay for it (only 70 bucks, but its the principle). drives well in the occasional snow we have in Philly. minor complaints? 16" wheels are hard to clean.parking brake doesn't always line up perfectly with interior plastic. back seats have little leg room. would I buy it again? absolutely. i look forward to my commute, love shifting and enjoy using regular fuel, seats are the best in comfort and support and getting great mileage...and its not a bmw like the thousands of others i pass daily....
    "...I will be overpaying for torque that is unusable in the FWD setup..." Sounds like you have your mind set on the BMW. I wish you the best of luck in your auto endeavours. Keep posting and let us know how the BMW treats you...
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    Saabs have been around for a while... right? Then why the heck do valet drivers have such a hard time with the key? I had a guy come to me today, "Sir, I can't figure out how to start your car." Argh.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Because not all valets have been around awhile!!
    Good luck with this!!! My dealer is Ramsey Saab in Ramsey, NJ. Phone number is either...

201.327.8170 or 201.327.8383. Not sure which is for the service dept. When/if you call make sure you ask for Saab service. Them and Volvo are connected and share the same receptionist. Poor Volvo service had NO idea what I was talking about when I started going off on them about my problems once! The head guy there I THINK is Bob, I could be wrong though.

Hope they can help!! Good luck!
  • yuan1304yuan1304 Member Posts: 4
    Just leased a SAAB 93 linear. Picked up the car two weeks ago. Already had the same problem three times: gearbox malfunction. So far I only drove 500miles. The car stalled three times after I made turns, especially once in a busy intersection. Really scared and afraid to drive on highway. First time I experienced the problem, AAA towed the car to the dealer. after an hour, they said they fixed that. I was happy. But after four days, got the same problem. Took the car to the dealer again. I got the car back after two days. They said it was electronic problem and fixed that. OK. but tonight once again,third time stalled. I was really mad. tomorrow have to call SAAB roadside assistance to tow my car to the dealer. I am going to ask for replacement. Was wondering if anyone had the same experience. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
    Approach SAAB USA about this. Explain the car has been patched three times and has not fixed the problem.
  • saablover3saablover3 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about leasing an 03/04 linear. I went to the dealer to test drive one. He took it first to get gas. After getting gas, it wouldnt start again. The screen said "Steering Lock Malfunction". Somebody had to hook it up a computer to re-program.
    The dealer explained that it was because steering gets locked when you turn the car off. And the computer unlocks it when you turn it on. It must have happened that the steering somehow didnt get locked and the computer thought it was a malfunction.
    Has anybody here had this problem with their Saabs? Should I be re-thinking this lease? I am starting to get worried because of all I am reading about the engines stalling suddenly while driving. Sounds pretty scary. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • bill42bill42 Member Posts: 29
    Are the engine stalling problems limited to automatic tranny cars or is the 6 speed affected as well? Close to doing a deal on a 9-3 Aero w/ 6 speed & I would like to minimize unpleasant surprises.
  • saablover3saablover3 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure if its only on the Automatics? I am getting a 5-speed manual myself. Any Saab owners with any comments?

Also getting a 2003 will be a lot cheaper so was wondering what new model issues people have been having?
    Thanks
  • vector6vector6 Member Posts: 34
    Bill42 and saablover-

Haven't looked in this forum for some time...

I have an 03 Vector with a 6-speed. Never a stalling problem - I believe those are limited to the autos, and apparently can be fixed with a software upgrade. It seems some dealers are more savvy than others re: repairs...

I had the STEERING WHEEL LOCK problem. Actually, it's pretty embarassing, because I took it in. They couldn't duplicate the problem, and the guy who sold me the car said (trying hard not to grin) "The service dept suggested you let the key sit a moment before turning it." This is actually from the manual - because the key is coded, it takes a moment to register and unlock. If you put the key in and turn it at the same time, the car will not start. Have not had a problem since.

As for the 03...I had some of the door and pillar buzzing people complain about. The dealer fixed it no problem and gave me a loaner while it was being done. I've had my car since August, it has nearly 7k miles on it, and still doesn't need an oil change (they can go as far as 15k without needing one - and by "doesn't need"" I mean the alert has not come up and so far I trust the computer). The car is fantastic. Fast, unique, an absolute blast to drive. I took a road trip to LA in the fall, through mountains and desert etc - about 1k miles each way - and the car performed so well I was sorry the trip went so quickly. It hauled up moluntains, around hairpins, and even did superbly in LA traffic. It also got a lot of looks - they're still not everywhere. Best of all, I got like 32 mpg. I am an admitted fan - we have an 01 9-5 and my old car was a 900SE, but the new 9-3 blows the doors off both of them. Solid, reliable, and in my opinion a lot of car for the buck.