Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    1. Europe is probably one reason Saab is making the 9-3x.

2. While hatches are clearly popular middle market cars in Europe, the upper market is still either sedan or station wagon. Audi, BMW and Benz make hatches for the European market, but these are clearly entry level for them (middle market for the buyer) offerings.

3. GM makes middle market hatches already under the Opel brand. Opel is infinitely more important to GM and it is also struggling to regain profitability.

4. There will be a Saab 9-3 sport station wagon, which will compete with the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes station wagons.

5. GM's plan for Saab has to include its plans for Opel (and Fiat/Alfa Romeo for that matter). GM clearly wants to place Saab as its upmarket European offerings. Those with memories of Saab as an independent company may be disappointed that Saab no longer makes a middle-market car. But GM would be silly to concede to that thinking. Product overlap and competing against onesself do not help the bottom line. If Saab cannot make it where GM is placing it, then it makes more sense to GM to kill Saab and concentrate on Opel.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    I, too, enjoyed the uniqueness and marvelous versatiltiy of a Saab 900 for almost 7 years.

When we discoverd we were going to be parents back in '95, one of my fears was that my evil wife would instantly turn into a "soccer mom" and demand an SUV or Minivan to replace her fun,fun,fun Nissan Sentra SE-R. Luckily, she is (although evil) an intelligent and sensible woman and a green '95 900s became her new car.

The hatch was awesome as we hauled home new televisions (in the box!), assembeld gas grills and of course lots of baby stuff (including a second child!) throughout the years while getting 24+ mpg locally.

Unfortunately, 2001 saw us spend a few $$$ to keep the Saab going and I decided it was time to move on after almost 7 years and 83,000+ miles. I had hoped she'd want a 9-5 wagon. Alas, the "soccer mom" gene proved too powerful and for Christmas we bought her a Lexus RX300. Oh, well, at least it's not a horrendous behemoth like her sister in law's Expedition (oh, yeah. They really need that. It's bigger than their garage!).

Anywho, the new 9-3 looks like a handsome little devil and it will be on my list in a couple of years. Although, I'll probably hold out for the X...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Announced today only the base at C$34,900, very reasonable. Might have to look at one when it's time to replace my 00 Intrigue.
  • newc320newc320 Posts: 1
    I am thinking to buy a 1999 9-3 turbo for my daily commute. I have been driving a 1992 Toyota Camry for the last ten years and have more than 201K on it. Though Camry is such a reliable car, I don't want to buy another Camry. Saab is my favor for my next car. Does 9-3 a reliable car? Is it expensive to keep?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    The Vector will be sharing the 210 hp engine with the Arc until 2004, when Saab is introducing the increased performance engine. In speaking to the Saab rep., it sounded like a high output version of the 9-3's 4 cyl. engine. Others that have been posting here and elsewhere believe it will be the 2.8l turbocharged V-6 that will be going into the 9-3X. Either way, a higher performance engine is around the corner.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    When the '94 900/9-3 came out, I lamented the loss of the original generation's greater width, larger foot wells and what I opine to be much better looks. Now we've loss the versatility of the hatch - a Saab hallmark. Although my '87 Turbo [265K] has been relegated to very, very occasional "leave at the train station" duty, driving it never fails to put a smile on my face. Even with all of its systems practically terminal, it's still more fun to drive and more comfortable than anything on the market. I can't imagine the current line-up invoking similar allegiance 15 years from now.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    It's the first Saab I have ever really liked a lot. Others are ok, but this one is hot!
  • WHEN DOES THE NEW 9-3 GO ON SALE??????
    Someone said October 1 over in Future Vehicles. I actually saw a bright red one on the tollway here in Chicago. Those in the know say it must be a GM car. I was pretty impressed. If this is the trend for the epsilon platform, GM is going to be rebuilding its name in mid-size cars.
  • I saw the base model 9-3 comes with cowhide standard? Is this true?
    Apparently so here in the US.

I did the build your own on the British site in August, and there was a cloth seat. Now that the build your own is up on the US site, there is no cloth option at all.

In fact, the car is so loaded that build your own is kind of boring. Pick your color, select the sports chassis, and you are done.
    Local dealer had one in for test drives 2 weeks ago, but I didn't have time that day. I did drive by and see it though and it looked pretty sweet.

I think the release date is early October, but there was no firm date given.
  • good review of new 9-3 at europeancarweb.com.
    Thanks bigdaddy. Good review. Very thorough and favoring the technical side. I am in no rush to buy. I may just wait until the Aero finds its way here before making any decision. [unless I go completely nuts and squander valuable retirement funds on an XLR : ) ]
  • I am considering a used 1999 9-3 SE. I was also looking at the Audi A4 1.8T but had some reliability concerns after the warrany expires. Does anyone own a 9-3 and have an opinion on the Saab verses the Audi? I really like the looks of the Saab and have always wanted to own one.

Comments appreciated. Thanks
    I think they are about the same in terms of reliability but Saab has recently won some initial quality awards so I would go with the Saab. Probably won't go too wrong either way.
  • Thank you for your feedback. I really want to test drve the Saab so I can give it a fair chance. I came very close to buying a '98 A4 but I felt I was losing money on my trade-in.
    Thanks again
  • I will be turning back in my 99 A6 Quattro in November off of lease. Besides have an unrealistic residual-$23K, I would not want to own that car when it goes out of warranty. Too much hi-tech items to fail. All Audi engines except the new A8 all have timing belts and not chains. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm waiting to see the new 9-3!
    Ack.. belts?? Then yes "artstein", stay away from the Audi. That belt job will cost you big $$.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    when do these things hit the dealers?????
  • I was told they will be in next week.

No lease prices yet.
  • pjamesepjamese Posts: 15
    I am looking for one right now but would like to know the incentives on a lease & if they differ from a purchase. How much should I be able to negotiate off the MSRP in the state of CA. Also, does anybody know why it is so hard to transfer a Saab lease in CA. Thanks
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    How many cars use timing chains anymore?
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    Saab 9-5 4 cylinder cars use chains as does the BMW 6 cyl used in the 3 and 5 series. Infiniti/Nissan V6's. I believe the new Saab 9-3 uses chain. Mercedes uses chains to name a few.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    any dealer sightings yet?
  • nsolanonsolano Posts: 11
    I saw a new 9-3 yesterday evening at my local Saab Dealer. My impression was that it looked a great deal like a BMW 3-series...in other words, it was very attractive. The bad news is that it was optioned up to $33.5K. At that price, it would be hard to justify against established offerings from BMW, Infinity, Audi, Volvo, Acura, etc. that sell at similar or lower prices.
    Saab has been around a lot longer than Acura, Infiniti and Lexus.

Like Volvo, Saab is the Swedish branch of a US company. In my mind Volvo has always been the solid conservative Swede and Saab the more fun Swede.

Audi is awd, BMW rwd. Similar prices, but probably attract a different driver. The 9-3 is a nice alternative to both.

Provided the 9-3 is optioned well and priced right, and, with a well equipped 9-3 starting at 25k -- your example is a fully loaded 9-3 afterall -- I think the price is right, the 9-3 should do well.

It is already off to a flying start in Europe. The Japanese do not have much of a following in Europe. There are, of course, high end Peugeots and Alfas and the like in Europe which are not sold here. It will be interesting to see how the Saab does in NA. I have my money on well.
    It's funny, my uncle and aunt in Holland have a Corolla and their neighbor has a Chevy APV van. They are the only ones on the street with these "foreign" cars.

I too think Saab will do very well with the new 9-3. For someone looking for non-BMW entry level lux, I think it will be the best thing out there.
    Depending upon what happens with Fiat, Honda and Toyota may actually be able to find a market for their less expensive cars in Europe where their luxury offerings have not caught fire.
    The much maligned Fiat buyout agreement actually has an out for GM if Fiat declines below certain sales and production levels. If GM does not rescue Fiat, I do not think Fiat will stand a chance. A Corolla is a good option for a would be Fiat buyer.

I am glad GM took the write-off for Fiat in the third-quarter. Now GM Europe can concentrate on making Opel and Saab as good as they can be. The 9-3 is a great start.