Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• ligartligart Posts: 109
    I love hatchbacks, and look what they get rid of. To me, there's nothing more useless than a trunk.

As for the new styling, it's nice enough, but I'm still in love with the old style. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it's timeless. Even after all these years it gives me warm fuzzies to look at it. :-)

And if you think about it, saying that you'd buy the previous style of a car, one that's nine years old, just means you're not gonna get tired of it and wanna trade it in on the next thing (see BMW, Mercedes, et al).
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I agree, I like hatchbacks also. My wife hates them though as does the majority of the population. Not sure why, they are very popular in Europe and else where and they are so practical. Oh well, what can you do. Still like the new 9-3 and can't wait to test one.
    Autoweek on-line says today "Saab announced pricing and dates for its 2003 9-3 sport sedan. Arriving in showrooms Oct. 15, the base Saab in Linear trim will start at $26,525. When the uplevel 9-3 Arc and Vector trims arrive by early next spring, they’ll start at $30,620 and $33,120, respectively. Convertibles, also available this fall, start at 40,620".
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    I've been hunting for new cars and Saab was on my list largely becuase they look like nothing else on the road and the hatchback was a great, unique feature. Anyway, while I am sure they are still great cars, after looking at the 9-5 and pics of the 9-3, I've knocked Saab off my list. From the front, they still look pretty cool...and look like Saabs, but from the side and rear, they look soooo much like so many cars...

I am sure many will differ...but I'm bummed, cuz I really liked their much ballyhooed "quirkiness"...
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Then you may want to wait for the 9-3X, which will be hatch-like and as unique as anything out there.
    Funny how the population that dislikes hatchbacks so much doesn't seem to have a problem with station wagons, which are essentially hatchbacks with a tailgate. :-S
    ditto for the millions of minivans
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    and SUVs for that matter.
    I think the deal is the general consumer has no idea what they really want or need. They just go for whatever everyone else has or what advertising tells them to buy. How is it that everyone realized they "needed" SUV's in the 90's? Now they "need" station wagons and V6 260+ H.P. engines. What's really necessary or the best fit is irrelevant.
    Remember SAAB serves another market besides the US, one that appreciates hatchbacks, smaller engines, and manual transmissions ... Europe!
    1. Europe is probably one reason Saab is making the 9-3x.

2. While hatches are clearly popular middle market cars in Europe, the upper market is still either sedan or station wagon. Audi, BMW and Benz make hatches for the European market, but these are clearly entry level for them (middle market for the buyer) offerings.

3. GM makes middle market hatches already under the Opel brand. Opel is infinitely more important to GM and it is also struggling to regain profitability.

4. There will be a Saab 9-3 sport station wagon, which will compete with the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes station wagons.

5. GM's plan for Saab has to include its plans for Opel (and Fiat/Alfa Romeo for that matter). GM clearly wants to place Saab as its upmarket European offerings. Those with memories of Saab as an independent company may be disappointed that Saab no longer makes a middle-market car. But GM would be silly to concede to that thinking. Product overlap and competing against onesself do not help the bottom line. If Saab cannot make it where GM is placing it, then it makes more sense to GM to kill Saab and concentrate on Opel.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    I, too, enjoyed the uniqueness and marvelous versatiltiy of a Saab 900 for almost 7 years.

When we discoverd we were going to be parents back in '95, one of my fears was that my evil wife would instantly turn into a "soccer mom" and demand an SUV or Minivan to replace her fun,fun,fun Nissan Sentra SE-R. Luckily, she is (although evil) an intelligent and sensible woman and a green '95 900s became her new car.

The hatch was awesome as we hauled home new televisions (in the box!), assembeld gas grills and of course lots of baby stuff (including a second child!) throughout the years while getting 24+ mpg locally.

Unfortunately, 2001 saw us spend a few $$$ to keep the Saab going and I decided it was time to move on after almost 7 years and 83,000+ miles. I had hoped she'd want a 9-5 wagon. Alas, the "soccer mom" gene proved too powerful and for Christmas we bought her a Lexus RX300. Oh, well, at least it's not a horrendous behemoth like her sister in law's Expedition (oh, yeah. They really need that. It's bigger than their garage!).

Anywho, the new 9-3 looks like a handsome little devil and it will be on my list in a couple of years. Although, I'll probably hold out for the X...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Announced today only the base at C$34,900, very reasonable. Might have to look at one when it's time to replace my 00 Intrigue.
  • newc320newc320 Posts: 1
    I am thinking to buy a 1999 9-3 turbo for my daily commute. I have been driving a 1992 Toyota Camry for the last ten years and have more than 201K on it. Though Camry is such a reliable car, I don't want to buy another Camry. Saab is my favor for my next car. Does 9-3 a reliable car? Is it expensive to keep?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    The Vector will be sharing the 210 hp engine with the Arc until 2004, when Saab is introducing the increased performance engine. In speaking to the Saab rep., it sounded like a high output version of the 9-3's 4 cyl. engine. Others that have been posting here and elsewhere believe it will be the 2.8l turbocharged V-6 that will be going into the 9-3X. Either way, a higher performance engine is around the corner.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    When the '94 900/9-3 came out, I lamented the loss of the original generation's greater width, larger foot wells and what I opine to be much better looks. Now we've loss the versatility of the hatch - a Saab hallmark. Although my '87 Turbo [265K] has been relegated to very, very occasional "leave at the train station" duty, driving it never fails to put a smile on my face. Even with all of its systems practically terminal, it's still more fun to drive and more comfortable than anything on the market. I can't imagine the current line-up invoking similar allegiance 15 years from now.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    It's the first Saab I have ever really liked a lot. Others are ok, but this one is hot!
  • WHEN DOES THE NEW 9-3 GO ON SALE??????
    Someone said October 1 over in Future Vehicles. I actually saw a bright red one on the tollway here in Chicago. Those in the know say it must be a GM car. I was pretty impressed. If this is the trend for the epsilon platform, GM is going to be rebuilding its name in mid-size cars.