Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• 2000_valk2000_valk Posts: 67
    Hey Ken, Now that I think of it, It does as you said. After a year or so of driving it, and having a few bugs. It is settling down to be a nice van. The paint is being dealt with. As far as Speed goes, I dont seem to be in a hurry much anymore. It only sucks fuel or gas depending on your drive habits and what you are driving. Once you get the great economy under your belt its hard to go back. You also hit the nail on the head, I do have a high-end hearing problem. Thanks to years of rock and roll bands, But that is another story. Thanks, Tom :shades:
  • Okay, the seats finally came in.

Here are a few preliminary photos. I still have to finish the inside of the van and I'll take more photos.

The seats are the Freedman Featherweight BV FoldAway on the far end, and the Single Wide Handi Flip nearest the door:

BV Foldaway

Handi Flip

The divider was placed a little over 8 feet from the back of the van. I had to put brackets to properly secure the divider. That took an entire day.

The cost of the seats was $824.51 delivered, which is less than the $1300 or more that the factory seats cost. Plus I can flip these seats out of the way to get to the back, or for cargo room. I did have to buy about $25 in bolts to properly secure these.

I don't like the feel of the edge of the fold-away seat that isn't over the mounting base. It has about 1 to 1.5" of flex when an adult sits on it. I should unbolt this seat and use a real heavy metal base instead of the bolts that they provide. That will be when I have a bit more time to look for a nice 1/2" steel plate that I can get custom made to bolt under the van.

Carefull when mounting your divider and seats this far back. The fuel tank is right under there and if you let that drill slip away from you, you may pierce the tank. I was very carefull and my tank is still good.

The quality of these photos are poor, and I'll have to have a second photo shoot when I'm done the interior of my van.

Tronno, Looks great. Send us a pic of your rear shop. Tom
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,166
    I get 20 MPG.

I second all your posts about the Sprinter. I have the 2006 Forest River conversion MB Sprinter. We picked it up in Colorado Springs with the temp near Zero. We drove home to San Diego via Phoenix. We averaged 21.79 MPG for 1400 miles of up and down mountain roads. It never felt under powered. Going down steep grades the transmission is great. Just tap it up and down to get the gearing you like. I will post more when we drive cross country this Spring. I don't think you will find a van you like better. And none will get the MPG of the Sprinter.
  • kenbob88kenbob88 Posts: 21
    KenB,
    Perhaps the reason that your MPG differs from others' accounts is that you are the only one telling the truth???
    I know that some folks tend to fudge a bit.
    (The mileage I tell my father-in-law is a little bit higher than what I really get.)
    KenBob

P.S.--Excuse me, but you don't have the 4.11 axle ratio, do you? I once bought a new Jeep Cherokee 4WD and discovered that two different gear ratios had been installed in the front and rear, so factories do make these kinds of mistakes.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Posts: 239
    KenBob,
    I don't think I am the only honest person... The biggest user of Sprinter that I personally know has about 20 +/- and they get MPG from where I have experienced up to nearly 30 MPG on their fleet. They are all used to deliver medical supplies. So, unless some of their employees are adding fuel to the company van for free, they should have accurate numbers since the receipts for fuel, the mileage, and the service records are kept track of.

But, I have been very honest bout mileage here and elsewhere. Certainly not pessimistic about it either. I simply seem to get 20 MPG. I have checked the RPMs at Highway speed, top gear (locked), against what was published elsewhere, and it shows that I have the basic gearing (not 4.11) in the axle. (about 3.75 or 3.78 if my memory serves, I don't have the specs on this PC).

I believe that my dad drove a Chevy 4wd that had a (slightly) higher ratio in the front ON PURPOSE! It supposedly caused a bias toward the front end pulling you in most conditions. To make things seem even stranger, it wore front end components quicker than it should, until some factory trained genius (really mean it this time) had them add shims to make it slightly higher in the front end.

Looked funny, drove GREAT in the mud in the oil fields of Western Oklahoma.

KenB :shades:
  • kenbakerkenbaker Posts: 239
    2004 Dodge MWB 2500 HC Wagon, re-badged to Mercedes just for fun (16" steel wheels with the mercedes center caps)

My wife took the family Sprinter to the dealer for my first oil change, paid for by the dealer due to previous service run-a-rounds during the first 2 months I had it.

Guess they only have ONE Sprinter tech... ON VACATION for 2 weeks to Hawaii!!! They can't even check out: 1) rattles (rear doors, sliding door), 2) rusty pin dots on the rear door (probably "raildust"), 3) failed lumbar inflators (both sides), or anything at all?

If it was drive train related I might understand (if they gave me a loaner while I was down waiting for them to get back from Hawaii). These things are not "Sprinter" related, they are simple, non-mechanical, and routine.

One lumbar pumper won't pump, I can feel the inlet valve rolling around in it. The other one seems to pump, but doesn't pump up the bladder. I am not a fan of the Lumbar supports, but I don't want to let it go either.

KenB :(
    I'm also a skeptic on mileage claims. I don't trust electronic readouts and usually they are fudging to make the car look better than it is. I know my Passat TDI is about 2 mpg over actual mileage. I keep all my vehicles in a spreadsheet. Old habit. I was quite pleased with the mileage we got going through the Rockies and home on Interstates 10 & 8. I tried to maintain 65-70 MPH on the Interstate. I was passed a lot which gives a bit of a crosswind. I would say that is what I like least about the Sprinter.
    I picked my 04 up on dec 31 04. Just for curiosity I kept a log of every fill up, price per gallon and mileage.I may have missed a couple at most. Now, it is just habit. I also mark it with an A for air on if Its hot that week. Or cold with a C. When It gets cold the turbo heat is turned on. Some of those times I run the van to keep warm or to keep cool when I sit and work in it. I hit the freeway in the morning, Do my service calls, and home on the freeway. alot of times I am almost maxxed out being pushed by speeders. I have gotten 17 plus (reeally cold, turbo heat on most of the time) being the worst, And 24 plus the best. I have not had it on a trip, But can only imagine the mileage would be great. Just filled it an hour ago and it was 21.87. In all I look back on my older ford and gm days and think of the 9-12 mpg. The 3K oil changes. A friend bought my 99 gmc with 180.000 on it. Just about breakin for a diesel. The body is great but a tired engine. List upon request, Tom :)
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    :) gagrice I am new to the forum you know me from the other forum. I bought a 3500 sprinter on 11-9-05 and it is the most wander full van that I ever bought. the oil have 4ooo miles and you still can see the golden color of the oil. the van is a dream for me after ford E150, I will never buy a ford again I had problems from the fist day I bought it. the last month that I had it cost me $400.00 in gas. at 20 to 30 miles to a gallon on the sprinter I am a reach man.
    I'm ready for a nice long trip. I am retiring next month and we plan to cross the country with the MB Cruiser. Good to hear you like yours. I have not even checked the oil. It has a computer that tells you when to change it. They say under light usage you can go 20K miles between changes. Have fun with that and your Liberty CRD. I am sure you will get the bugs worked out.
  • bbird1bbird1 Posts: 8
    Anyone get any Imfo on the all new 2007 Models :)
  • See post 404.

There's going to be 3 wheelbases, 4 lengths, 3 heights, gas or diesel, standard or automatic.

Too many choices.

I had a tough time selecting mine.
  • bbird1bbird1 Posts: 8
    Thanks, any word on MPG figures :confuse:
    :) does anyone knows how to get the codes from the sprinter. does anyone have the noise that come from the front every time you open the ignition key. does anyone knows that you can buy the oil filter made by STP at Auto Zone.
  • I want to install a battery isolator and an extra battery.

I opened the hood and saw quite a few cables connected to the battery.

Which cable comes from the alternator?

The alternator cable should be connected to the alternator post of my isolator I believe, and then I should have a cable going to each battery, correct?

I just bought a new 118" passenger model, and boy do I have a lot to write about, but one issue at a time and first things first: The CD/radio came with really tinny speakers in the front and none in the rear. Does anyone have any input/guidance/recommendations regarding upgrading the front speakers and/or installing rear speakers? (Brand, model, size, placement, vendor, installers, etc?)
    Is it already wired for rear speakers?
    Thanks--I hope someday soon to have acquired the Sprinter experience and knowledge to be an advisor and not just a learner in this forum.
  • denveradenvera Posts: 1
    i installed a shure power 120 amp smart relay with out problems. use terminal E with a 60 amp fuse avalable from parts express.
  • Does wire A come straight from the alternator?

If I lead that to the alternator post of the isolator, I won't hurt anything, will I?
    I want to change my two bench seats to reclining buckets.
    Does anyone know a good place to buy?
    I called Becker Automotive Design to ask them what they do with the original driver and passenger seats, but I was told that they don't take those out. I guess that means they just reupholster them?
    If anyone has upgraded their driver and passenger seats, I would like to buy the original seats to bolt in for my second-row seating.
    Thanks,
    Ken in Camarillo, CA
  • n_teslan_tesla Posts: 9
    I have a 118” passenger Sprinter too and have been down the stereo upgrade path. The Sprinter is not an easy vehicle to work with. I replaced the dash speakers with the JL Audio 4” as they drop in, sound great and don’t cost too much. For back fill I installed another pair of JL’s above the rear windows. I did this because I use my Sprinter for business and carry boxes in the back that could bash into the speakers and damage the grills if the speakers were mounted in the stock location. The higher placement also helps dispersion and it looks like a factory job.

This setup was smoother sounding but the stock radio doesn’t have enough power for a good sneeze. So the next step was more power. After all a Sprinter isn’t the quietest vehicle at highway speeds and there’s a lot of cubic footage to fill. For this I installed the basic JL Audio 4x75 watt amp and one of their interface devices called a “Clean Sweep” under the passenger seat.

This sounded much better, but there wasn’t enough bass. So the search was on for a way to get bass that didn’t eat up people and cargo space (and money). Ultimately the solution was a JL Audio 10” woofer in an enclosure the size of 2 Kleenex boxes mounted behind the drivers seat bolted to the floor where that weird metal tray with the strap was. This setup sounds awesome and gets plenty loud.

The final touch was to install an XM radio adaptor and a Magellan Roadmate Navigation system. For these to work the antennas must be mounted on the roof; not on the face of the truck over the windshield.

A cost saving option would be to change the head unit to one of the many high power quality DIN units available. This should give satisfying performance and you may be able to put the subwoofer under the front passenger seat. Good luck!
    Thanks for all the helpful info. That's just what I was hoping for. Where is the stock location for the rear speakers? Is it those tiny little grilles back in the corners by the rear doors? (I have a 118" WB.) Are there wires already in place?
    I had thought of putting woofers in the space under the two front seats.
    Did you do the installation yourself, or did you have an auto stereo shop do it?
    Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    Ken
    Camarillo, CA
  • I just made my 1st of many purchaces.after 2 years of study i made my choice.i went with the 158 wb 3500 shc
    with all the options.You have to go heavy duty on all.
    If you look at all the complaints most folks cheap out.
    i made a purchace from the states I bought wholsale and can sell you mine with 1400 k Iam going down next month
    to buy another.
  • ljgjrljgjr Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Sprinter with the same issue. Down to 18mpg from 22mpg, and a check engine light that stays lit. What have you learned since this posting?
  • ljgjrljgjr Posts: 5
    As everyone seems to be aware, "authorized Sprinter techs" are a rare breed which leads to slow turn around time for repairs. Businesslink is little help. Can Freightliner techs work on Dodge Sprinters? I have a 2005, 2500 with a check engine light on. After reading through the forums, I tried the fuel cap trick to no avail. My dealer is 1 hour away, as is estimating a 4 day turn around time depending on the problem and availability of parts. This is my primary vehicle and has about $2,000 of product on shelves. Of course any other suggestions as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.
    :) Freightliner and dodge are the same and Freightliner are authorized to work on dodge sprinters. the only thing that I can think is the egr valve but the best way to know is to find the code. I do not know how to find it but in some Jeep Liberty crd turning the ignition key on and of 4 times and letting it on, will tell you the code. Good lock and do not think that is a bad Van. I have the 140 3500 and so far is running ok but I run the van like a lady in love.
  • grantogranto Posts: 1
    I have a 05 2500 140".I've had a low speed,no load vibration in 4th gear since I got the vehicle.It is very sporadic and the dealer wasn't able to duplicate it fora long time.Once they did the service adviser said,"Yeh,that is not a normal sound or vibration,we will notify Daimler Chrysler technicians".After weeks of trying to get answers and hearing theories such as;moisture inside the transmission when it was shipped from germany to driveshaft misalignment,the Sprinter tech. came to drive it and said that it was normal vibration due to the fluid metering into the clutches in the transmission.How many other Sprinter owners experience this 20-30mph shudder?The tech said,most people just drive harder than I and don't notice it and apparently the computer can better detect what you want the vehicle to do if you have your foot in it all the time. A shudder/vibration as severe as mine just doesn't seem to be a good thing in a transmission.Given the tech's explanation,I'm wondering why I can't replicate the condition more often when Load,RPM,s,and Speed remain constant.It is troubling and I'm not happy with the dealer's trained tech.nor Daimler's theories.
  • pete71pete71 Posts: 1
    How to reset ASSYST.
    This procedure works on all Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with ASSYST.
    I'm not sure if it voids warranty or not.

Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock and immediately press button 000.0 twice within the space of one second.

Turn the key to position 0 in the ignition lock.

Press and hold button 000.0 Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock. Keep button 000.0 pressed.

Service message with current remaining distance or remaining time appears.

After about 10 seconds, an acoustic signal will sound and the service display with the new starting distance or starting time appears for about 10 seconds.

Release button 000.0
  • vsargevsarge Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've got a 2002 Freightliner 2500SHC 158 with the stock AM/FM/Cassette system and have several AM/FM/CD units sitting around. I've seen kits to adapt a single DIN unit into Sprinters but all state the kits are for 2003 and up. Will these work on my 2002? The stock radio has, I believe an anti-theft system in it...will this cause problems during the switch?

Sarge
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    I was told by my dealer the 2007/2008? will be 170 wheel base up from 158 and 7 inches wider.

Can anyone confirm.