Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• alfaunoalfauno Posts: 13
    just push the little MI button on the speedo face that switches from odo to trip - push a second time and it gives you the service interval. My first oil change wasn't needed until over 14k. when it gets close it starts telling you when you start up that there are "so many miles until service"
  • hawk8hawk8 Posts: 31
    has any one installed a hitch wiring on the Sprinter? we ordered what should've been a plug-in type "www.sprinteraccessories.com/040_hitch.html " instead we got what they bought at Walmart (made by Hoppy, the wiring was still in the Walmart bag), which you have to splice into the vehicle wiring, although it says it protects the towing vehicle computer system; I'm still not comfortable with it, any advice or where can i get a plug-in type wiring made specifically for the Sprinter?
    Thanx in advance.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,
    I am planning to purchase one pretty soon around Dallas area. Could someone refer me to a dealer or tell me what I should pay for one. Thanks for all your inputs. :)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,091
    Hi,
    I was visiting TX and had a problem with my Sprinter conversion van. Boerne Chrysler in Boerne, TX was great to deal with. They are the main Sprinter dealer in that area around San Antonio. If you don't mind a little drive I would check with them. They had at least a dozen Sprinters on the lot for sale.
  • altered3altered3 Posts: 59
    Just remember the Model is about to be replaced with the new 2006 model sprinter, if you buy now 1Hang out for a rebate of a least $3000.00 grand or buy via ebay standard warranty unless you purchase extended warranty
    Altered Sprinter
  • tronno22556tronno22556 Posts: 32
    I personally get nervous buying a vehicle with a brand new style. Give it a year or two for the big bugs to work out.
    There are no issues with the new 2006 model as it is a carry over of the 1995 fromat but with the new engines which are proven as Mercedes Benz quality that comply Euro 4 Safety and emission control levels, your only issue there is getting it in writting from your dealer that it will run on the older quality diesel you have that is not meeting DC Specifications in the USA the van itself has full options as standard now quite a bit has been taken out of older Mercedes vehicles such as nav-sat etc :D ">
    I think the new ones are not here yet. Mine is a 2006 Freightliner conversion by Forest River. Freightliner is out of the Sprinter business. The new 2007 will all be Dodge Sprinters. I understand they have a couple different engine options on the new ones also. You can get gas if you really want it. I think it is a 6 cylinder diesel. I wonder if it will get the great mileage of the 5 cylinder version.
    The new V6 will continue to give fantastic fuel returns it should be the same if not better than the old 5 cylinder in-line engine again this depends on which of the two v6 deiesel fromats you choose from, we have two! But you may only be offered one of the v6 models in diesel or gas format your only problem for maxium fuel returns will be the quality of diesel avaiable to you at the pump, lesser or poorer quality means less MPG. I Know Freightliner lost the franchice with the US Chyrsler division it's a managment issue when it comes to profit levels a very hot Politicial issue at the moment I was amussed to hear they DC had implimented this so rapidly, Fuel will become an issue with continuing fuel price increases so buy Diesel it's in effect Thirty percent cheaper to run on than Gas Bio-Diesel is an option however the savings are not that great at the moment Australia is about to invest 220 million with BP in the USA to start production of bio-Deisel fuel low sulphar plant that will be compliant to Euro 4 emission controls.
    Do you have any time frame as to when they will be available in the US?
    Time frame, about Christmas! based on demand and supply for production in Europe, before they are sent to the USA in CKD format for reassembly.
    Are you involved in the factory they are setting up in Charleston for Sprinter assembly?
    Which Plant are you thinking about! the main one is at South Carolina in the old La france bulidings,there is one for small conversions for Hydrogen units? Govenment experemental use
    DC has a problem but its political as to its profit base on local vehicles needs to retool but can not due to flatterning us dollar so your about to get VW Chassis on the a few of your local cars such as the starfire smaller Americian iron is proving to be to expensive! because of fuel costs.
    The old La France plant. I heard they were updating it for the new model Sprinter.
    Yes that is fact untill finance will allow for expansion, for a more modern plant
  • sonnywood2sonnywood2 Posts: 38
    has anyone else found that if they get fuel at different stations that their mileage changes from one brand to another. is that posibile? i will keep track from now on to find out for sure. i tow a trailer most of the time and it goes from 18 to 23 with a mix of a lot of short stop and go and a little highway. my driving is about the same for all so i was thinking it might be the brands of fuel.
    When I am out of CA where I use BP/ARCO ULSD with a high cetane rating, I always add Power Service cetane booster.

That said I think you are getting good mileage considering the short trips and towing a trailer. I don't tow a trailer and the lowest I got was on Interstate 10 cruising 70 MPH+ with lots of head wind. That tank was just over 20 MPG.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Posts: 239
    Unless your sprinter van was ordered with the wiring already done, then you must install a unit similar to the Hoppy box that they sent to you.

If you go to a dealer they will have to install a D-C factory box which is similar in function and in installation... running wires to the fuse panel or battery, ground wiring, wires to each function (L/R turns, tails, brakes, etc.)... They will charge about5-6 hours labor (or more), but the module is not terribly expensive when I checked with them 6 months ago. Its the labor that gets you.

I didn't know until now that you could find the Hoppy box at WalMart... thanks for letting us know. Can you send the SKU and model number, please?

KenB :shades:
  • zweigsrdczweigsrdc Posts: 3
    I am about to order a 118 Passenger version and have a few questions on options.

1. I am in the northeast - do I need to have the front or rear aux heating group and/or the Aux heat exchanger? Any idea what these items are and what they do?

2. Front fascia with chrome trim. Is this a purely cosmetic item or does it serve any useful function?

3. Rear gray fascia with the step pad - is this a purely cosmetic item or does it serve any useful function? I see selection of this requires de-selection of other items and I am wondering if this is a metallic grate / step that hangs off the rear of the vehicle.

4. Front right and left sliding glass is available as on option but seems to require that there be no sunscreen glass. It is difficult to decide between these and I am wondering if anyone can confirm that one may not be had with the other and which one is preferred if that is indeed the case.

This will be a family vehicle so ventilation and sunscreen are both issues to be addressed. If I can not get both I will probably want to aftermarket one of them.

5. The heated windshield with rain sensor seems like a neat option. Does anyone have this option and is it worth the extra fee. Also, if selected, will the 150 amp alternator suffice or is it better to have the 200 amp one.

6. Since this will be a family vehicle I intend to aftermarket the radio and perhaps add an entertainment system. For this reason I have selected the Radio Prep Group. Given this, I am wondering if it is a good idea to do the cell phone work aftermarket or to get the cell phone prep as an option from the factory.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Thanx
  • erikoeriko Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what can be done with this lousy radio?
    Sometimes it works just fine and sometimes it's mostly static - all on the same roads. In some cases it may change due to hitting bumps or such.

My local dealer "replaced" the radio (actually - I wonder, should have marked it). Now they say that "replacing it once is all they can do."

In other words: "Tough!" So maybe it's just lousy service - love the van otherwise.

BTW - does ANYONE know how the Auxiliary battery under the passenger seat is hooked up? Is it just a backup for the main battery, or is it for add-on things. Nobody at either of my two local Dodge dealers has the slightest idea.

Thanks, -Erik
  • sonnywood2sonnywood2 Posts: 38
    sounds like you have a bad antenna or connection on the radio. i though the battery was for auxiliary use to add extra electrical equipment. i think that is why it is called auxiliary battery in the speck book.
  • n_teslan_tesla Posts: 9
    1. I live around Boston and take my 118" passenger van on ski trips. This year was remarkably cold (-5 to -10) in the AM way in Berlin, NH. I have the Aux heater and it was nice to set the timer and have the van at 60 degrees when we found it in the parking lot.
    2. If you like the looks go for it. It serves no purpose.
    3.The step makes it easier to get in the back. I ordered the hitch and wish I'd ordered the step.
    4. I have the sunscreen and a sunroof. There's plenty of air without the sliding windows. The tint keeps the van cool.
    5. I have the heated windshield and wiper option. I like the wipers. The heated widshield maybe a little. It's a lot of money I wouldn't spend in retrospect.
    6. I spent over 4k in audio/video system on my van and used the stock radio for the CD and AM/FM. The reception is fine but the radio has no power. I use a regular hand held cell.

Other notes: Get the upgraded fron seats and mirrors. You will like this van.
    The battery is for add-ons, like extra 12V lights or accessories, or a small power invertor to run a computer or other small 120V (AC) appliance.

Also, this battery should come isolated (so you don't run down the service battery, that would suck).

Lousy Service is the catch phrase you are looking for. Do you have the radio with tape player? I have heard of more problems with them. I have the CD player, no problems.

Well, one problem... no time to add rear speakers. the ones in the dash are NEARLY big enough (tiny would barely cover the midget-like qualities of these speakers).

So be sure to get the rear wired for sound even if you don't get the speakers!!!.

2. I have the rear gray faschia and step pad, but is is not an extra step... really does need another step in the rear, probably will add the hitch and an auxillary step to go into the 2" receiver.

6. certainly could do with the basic radio with wiring in place for all four speakers. 8 months now and still no time to get fancy with the radion/entertainment... as stated elsewhere, I have the CD playr and just the 2 speakers in the dash...

You will love this van as long as you are not short... it is tall to step into and out of. Otherwise, you will be begging to get running boards sooner rather than later.

engine is peppy until you turn on both A/C units and start from a dead stop... but even then, it is all GO when the turbo kicks in.

Get the upgrade seats, all available arm rests, all available handles or entry aids, bigger mirrors,

PS also turn it back into a Mercedes right away... removal of the extra Dodge CHROME was a big relief.
  • punter1punter1 Posts: 50
    If I were you I would wait for the new model. See this url - http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=4682
    They are only manufacturing the new one.
    If you order the old one, they will give you a scrappy leftover and you will still wait several months. New ones will be here by Christmas - you should be able to order by September or so.

Di-tert-butyl peroxide has a spontaneous comustion temp of around 329 F (165 C) and is listed as a diesel additive on Wikipedia (boils at about 105 C (just over the BP of water 212 F) and then bursts into flame as above).

It makes you wonder if those little pills have this stuff in them? even so, little pills don't make big tanks of diesel run better so easily.

• 1. So,... GM came out and put a diesel in their vans? Do you mean the Duramax which is available in the full-sized 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton van? They have had a diesel avail in these for decades, even that ill-fated gas engine based diesel of about 15-20 years ago. What diesel in what van is this new news??
  • Hasn't anybody out there broken out the specs on transmission fluid for the Sprinter?? It looks like another case of "them what knows ain't tellin'. Them what tells, ain't knowin'." Do you really believe MB manufactures or formulates transmission fluid and engine oil?? ...or has a major oil company with that capability doing it for them... because they have come up with a mechanical contrivance that has totally different needs than anything else on the planet??

There is nothing you can humanly do to a $1 quart of transmission fluid to make it worth $7.50. Nothing, except put it in a plastic bottle marked with your own special company markings and charge any price you darn well please because everybody is afraid to use anything else for fear of voiding their warranty or harming their vehicle. So the SCAM goes on. Instead of $7 for enough fluid to change your transmission fluid, you pay what, over $52.50?

Surely some smart person can find out what brand and grade is really in that MB or DC labelled can.

Yankee Trader
  • Lots of discussion asserting lower maint. cost of Sprinter vs. Chevy or Ford van because of oil change interval. ...without the benefit of ever paying the bill for a Sprinter oil change. Sure the oil change is at 10k or even more miles vs 4-6k for the domestic. I'm paying .49-.69 per quart on coupon special for top quality oil at Checker. Filters run $2-4. Do it yourself total 5qts X .69 =$3.45 add $2.50 = $5.95. For the white shirt crowd it is $12-20 on coupon at the lube centers. What does the Sprinter oil change cost? My local Dodge buys it only in bulk in a 55 gal drum so I can't get the special oil required for the Sprinter. Take a chance on voiding the warranty like all the petroleum engineers posting on this web site and buy your own at $7.50 per qt. X what? 10 qts. =$75 plus a filter for $11 totals about $86. $6 vs. $86. Oh, but you don't change it as often! CRYMANY!!! I should hope not! ...even at $21 for enough Rotella or Delvac plus a $12 filter for a Power Stroke or Duramax or Cummins.

Would anyone care to pencil out the transmission fluid change at $1.25 for Dextron vs. $7.50 for MB/FL/DC fluid?

Anybody compared fuel filter and air filter prices?

I'd like to see a few reports from people with a Sprinters. Would you care to tell your actual costs for maintenance for the first 100-150k miles?